5.0 out of 5 stars I like this new simplified Ramsey style
Published on October 7, 2009 by Jennifer Hughes

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK...
...don't know if I would have bought it if I'd seen it in a bookstore first.

Published on January 17, 2009 by Paul Rybarczyk

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this new simplified Ramsey style, October 7, 2009
I was a bit skeptical as I have another older Ramsey book which I never use (odd, hard to find ingredients, hours of cooking & prep time turned me off) so I was a bit skeptical when I saw this book. However, I have now cooked about 8 of the recipes from this book and they were all delicious and very easy to make with ingredients that I can buy at my local grocery store. I like this new "everyone can cook fast healthy delicious food" attitude Ramsey has going. Everything tasted amazing too even though it is healthy! Also, the way he has laid out the cooking methods is excellent. All recipes are easy to follow and completed in a few simple steps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super healthy and super tasty!, November 10, 2009
My partner was given this and together we've made so many recipes from this book! The roast chicken was amazing, the goats cheese souffle's came out perfect, I couldn't stop eating the minestrone - and I never thought prawn and watermelon would go so well together but gave it a shot anyway and it was a lovely and fun meal!

One reviewer said the meals didn't seem appetising - to that I say just try them anyway because I felt the same but will try (and eat) anything once. It really was a pleasant surprise and I keep picking random dishes from the book 'just to try'. I must say I've never had so many successes from the one cookbook, usually they're quite hit and miss, but Ramsay balances flavours SO well. Some of the recipes are a touch simple (i.e. oatmeal), but I get the impression that this book has been targeted at men. And if it has then it works, because it's the one book my partner doesn't mind opening up and cooking something from.

Furthermore, this book is very much in keeping with the Mediterranean food pyramid (Google it), which has been shown not only to aid in weight loss, but reduce cholesterol, and the risk of cardiovascular disease. I can't recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A++, May 22, 2009
Love Gordon Ramsay - Love his recipes. Easy to follow and delicious. They make me feel like I am a gourmet chef who cares about the quality of my food. I recommend this book to any level of cook/chef. Ramsay's simpleness is refreshing. A++

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty recipes, but some ingredients are hard to find in small towns..., December 29, 2012
This review is from: Gordon Ramsay's Healthy Appetite: 125 Super-Fresh Recipes for a High-Energy Life (Paperback)
I got this cookbook as a gift, and have been pleased with the recipes I've tried thus far (and have a list of others I'm looking forward too).

What I like:

- Gordon Ramsy uses a lot of fresh ingredients in these recipes, which I vastly prefer to relying on pre-packaged foods which often contain chemicals, sugars and preservatives.

- The recipes taste good.

- Thought has clearly gone into ensuring necessary vitamins are present in these recipes.

- These recipes are quite healthy.

What may be problematic for some people:

- There are many recipes in this book using less-than-common meats, which may be hard to find in some areas. These include: anchovy fillets (and anchovies), trout, palourdes in the shell (apparently commonly called carpet shell clams), mackerel (fillets and/or smoked), herring, smoked salmon fillets, whole sea bass, pheasant, haunch of venison, squid, fresh sardines, poussins (I googled this, it's a really young chicken), smoked haddock, monkfish, crayfish, calf liver, duck breasts, sashimi grade fish (swordfish, salmon and tuna), mullet fillets, black bream fillets, guinea fowl breasts, partridge, pigeon

- There are many recipes in this book using other less-than-common food products, which may be hard to find in some areas. These include: watercress, canned cranberry beans, garam masala (a spice), baby turnips, crimini mushrooms, fennel bulbs, fava beans, chicory, figs, fermented black beans (apparently available at asian food markets), baby leeks, baby fennel, baby zucchini, cooking pumpkin, banana shallot, cavalo nero (a type of kale), purple sprouting broccoli, harissa

- Some cooking equipment needed for a recipe may not be common in every kitchen.

- The directions are formatted differently than many cookbooks. Rather than being step-by-step, they are in more of a paragraph format with many steps to a paragraph. Therefore, it is exceptionally important that recipes are read thoroughly in advance (as it can be difficult to find exactly where you're at when you're in a hurry).

Summary:

I currently live in a small town where getting some of these food products is extremely difficult (please keep in mind, for the above lists I went through pretty much the entire book). Propper planning, however, can alleviate some of these problems by allowing me to order some of the ingredients, while others may have acceptable substitutions which can be identified with a bit of research. Personally, I find that the good taste, and healthy properties of many of these recipes outweigh the slight inconvenience of having to plan a bit in advance. While this is not likely to be my primary cookbook, it is one that I am glad I have in my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary Art & Brains on Display in Hs New Book, August 18, 2011
In typical Gordon Ramsay fashion, we see Recipes that are very well done, not over-complicated, where every ingredient has a relevance and meaning that is essential to the dish. In the recipe for the spicy lentil soup, for example, the soup just gets better and better as you move through the preparation steps, until at the end the addition of the toasted spice seeds elevates the texture and flavor to the sublime.

This is clearly a book where his exquisite sense of Ingredients and what they mean in combination with each other, creates healthy culinary art. My appreciation for his level of mastery has gone way up with the purchase of this book, because he has a substantial, not superficial, understanding of what healthy cooking is. His art is matched by brains, which helps explain why he has such range and depth.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have!!!!!, September 29, 2009
Being a chef myself, I am usually very picky about cookbooks. I am also a health enthusiast as well. Gordon Ramsay's take on healthy eating is a MUST HAVE for anyone trying to change their diet or just take it to another level. The recipes are so tasty and fresh. The color pictures and layout are amazing! I have told EVERYONE about this book. I am very impressed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, October 4, 2009
I gotg this as a gift, and was a little put off by the big shiny pictures and the size of it...but I'm a huge Gordon Ramsay fan and wanted to try out some of his food.

The roast chicken reciepe was amazing. So amazing in fact that I am making it less than a week later-and have doubled it for lunches throughout the work week. It was tender, juicy-loaded with juices and the recipe includes a sauce using the pan drippings. Plus thanks to roasting it with herbs, lemons and garlic so full of flavor!! I had no idea a roast chicken could be so wonderful!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, Inspirational dishes that are healthy as well as flavorful., December 27, 2012
One very special feature of this book is that he gives you a page or two of different versions based on the original dish. It can be something Italian by using these spices, or Moroccan by using these spices... but he gives many more than two options which is great when you're trying to cook healthy. Spice is TRULY the variety of life!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superstar of a Cookbook!, March 10, 2012
I bought this cookbook two weeks ago and have made about 15 of the recipes, which all came out wonderfully! I also have so many more picked out that I want to make in the next days. I'm happy when a cookbook as a few recipes that I will make again, but I think I'll make nearly all of the recipes in this book given enough time!

The recipes in this book are really easy to follow and are often accompanied by a big colorful photo of the finished dish. There is a great selection of breakfast, lunch, dinner, bbq, weekend, and some recipes for entertaining.

Aside from being so excellently tasty these dishes are also full of healthy nutrients and are very balanced. Here you get lots of healthy grains, veggies, fish, and meats. You'll be eating healthy meals with Gordon Ramsay quality of flavor.

I won't list all the recipes I've made since that would be long, but let me just say the muffins are fabulously moist, the beef curry (a weekend recipe, simmers for a few hours) is out of this world full of spices, and the super simple ricotta-stuffed chicken has so much moistness and flavor. I'm also loving the lunch recipes for cod and tomato chowder, spiced lentil soup, and the fabulous stuffed mushrooms... mmm!

I seriously have gotten exited every time I've made one of these recipes and I taste it and it's like "OMG that is so good!". I've been a fan of Gordon's food for some time now, and it is such a nice thing to have from his genius food mind also some nice healthy every-day dishes. This book is a keeper!

*** Update March 20th ****
After all the cooking I've done with the book I have to sadly say that the binding isn't holding up, and I haven't even had it that long. The paperback version is very cheaply made, which is really too bad. This has to be the worst binding for a cookbook I've had yet. So while the content certainly deserves 5 stars, the binding I would give 1 star.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK..., January 17, 2009
...don't know if I would have bought it if I'd seen it in a bookstore first.

Typical food network (although I know it's not) type production with nice full page photos of a dish along side a recipe. But I didn't really need a recipe for making oatmeal, or melon and berry salad (melon balls, berries, orange and lime juice, and honey...how easy is that!), or rigatoni with yellow and green zucchini, or hamburgers.

A few recipes feature ingredients that may not be familiar or typical to Americans, like bream (a salmon-like fish), partridge and pigeon, ling (another fish). I am however, looking forward to trying stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in sage and prosciutto, sticky baked chicken drumsticks, spinach and goat cheese soufflé.

You'd never know Ramsay's TV shows were so over the top from this book! Maybe if the recipes had names like "F**kin' Good Oatmeal" it might be spiced up!

Paul