Gorilla Marketing! VCI's release of, "A Christmas Carol"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2009 8:15:34 AM PST
This past weekend, family and friends were gathered in my living room to watch my new BluRay. After the DVD was loaded, we were nearly knocked out of chair by a low frequency blast and then a message ordering us to "Put down the remote control," We were then force fed a commercial for other releases by VCI. During which the navigational buttons on the remote were not functional.

I am not opposed to advertising / trailers on DVDs, but, I am opposed to the sort of nonsense that VCI incorporates into their menu! Not to mention that the audio level of their intrusion was at least double that of the feature film.

The next time I receive a DVD with this sort of Gorilla Marketing on it, I am sending it back. Does this sort of thing bother anyone besides me? Here is the unanswered email I have sent to VCI:

"I am a regular customer of Amazon.com. I purchase nearly all of my BluRay / DVDs from them. I recently purchased a copy of your release of the 1951 release, "A Christmas Carol." I am writing to you in order to express my disgust at your method of presenting (cough-choke) advertising for other releases! As someone who has purchased a high end home theater system, in order to enjoy program content with friends and family, let me inform you that if I run across any more of your gorilla marketing on a future release, I am returning the DVD for a refund. Beginning with the 90db blast at the beginning of your commercial, followed by orders to, "PUT DOWN YOUR REMOTE CONTROL!" Then disabling of all of the function controls on my remote... Y'all are smoking out of the wrong end of the pipe! Oh, I neglected to mention that the audio level of your intrusion was roughly double that of the feature film that followed."

It is obvious that a company that force feeds advertising on consumers, could care less about my opinion. HOWEVER, I am going to begin with a posting about this on Amazon and see if anyone else feels the way I do about this. Do you really think that customers treated in this way are going to be receptive to your message?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 10:00:20 AM PST
TOTALLY AGREE

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 11:41:04 AM PST
DB Edwards says:
Disney is Guilty of the same HORRIFIC SELF AGRANDISEMENT. In many DVDS they have what seems to been an endless commercial loop that drives me CRAZY. Who wants to see these at the beginning of the feature?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Christmas Carol (Colorized) [VHS]
A Christmas Carol (Colorized) [VHS] by Alastair Sim (VHS Tape - 1999)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (1,207)