4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for what it is supposed to do
Customer Video Review     Length:: 9:16 Mins
The quality of the materials is wonderfull, i thought the ballhead would be so-so but actually it outperforms the tripod. The ballhead can handle the 11 pounds this combo claims but the tripod doenst at some angles/positions.

Published on August 5, 2010 by Andres Cordon

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money
I bought the head and tripod. The head is nice and tracks smoothly and the entire thing is stable enough for my D7000 and 70-300 (heaviest lens I own). I bought it because it is a good height for photographing or videoing dogs. Probably not a substitute for a real tripod, and vice versa.

*** 3 month update ***
The tripod head is pretty much useless. When...
Published on January 27, 2012 by Ariel D. Weisberg

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for what it is supposed to do, August 5, 2010
Length:: 9:16 Mins

The most important is to UNDERSTAND that if you buy this combo it doesnt mean that it will replace your regular (big) tripod. This tripod works wonderfull if you "hug" something with the legs. It also works great for macro... as you can check in my video. This tripod would have save me a lot of time asking strangers to take pictures of me and my girlfriend while traveling in Paris and Brussels.

In my video you can see how it handles a Nikon D90 + Battery Grip with 2 batteries + 18-200mm VRII + SB600 flash. I also tested it with a heavier D300 + 70-300mm VR + SB600 flash.

I am impressed with how this combo was able to keep everything thight hanging from a door and a tree branch.

I didnt rate it 5 stars because few sections of the legs came not as tight as the majority.

I hope this video helps, and check the pictures i uploaded too. This thing does exactly what it is suppossed to do, it fits in any backpack, its light and the ballhead is simply superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tripod for SLR cameras, January 1, 2009
Length:: 0:40 Mins

The gorillapod foucs is a great tripod for slr owner's with large zoom lens. I use a Nikon D80 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera (Body only) and have a Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens attached to it. Even with the lens fully extended the camera doesn't shake or drop down. The tripod is also very light weight which makes it ideal for travel.
The only CON of the product is that the legs are a bit stiff and makes it a bit hard to wrap the legs around an structure. If you can live with that this is the best travel tripod for slr users

5.0 out of 5 stars Ballhead X - not too shabby, May 27, 2010
I purchased the Joby Ballhead X and Gorrilapod Focus to replace a Gorillapod SLR Zoom/ballhead combo. The SLR Zoom was just not up to the task of supporting my Canon 50D with any of my lens. I was not about to risk my camera on that pod so it went back to the store and a different solution had to be found. I ordered the Joby Ballhead X and Gorillapod Focus and they are a night and day difference from the SLR Zoom combo.

The Ballhead X is smooth in its repositioning and holds securely even when not fully tightened down. The pan base is a nice addition over the SLR Zoom ballhead and allows you to pan easily. This is not an option with the SLR Zoom ballhead. The included Arca-Swiss compatible mounting plate is aluminum and includes a flip out half ring on the mounting screw to tighten the plate securely to your camera. This is a big improvement over mounting screws that have a coin slot in the base. I was able to tighten the plate on the camera with no issues and no movement. There is a spring mounted safety "button" built into the mounting clamp that prevents your camera from sliding out of the clamp if you forget to tighten it.

The Ballhead X is not the be-all, end-all of ballheads. It is not a ReallyRightStuff BH55 and probably won't support a 400mm f2.8 so be realistic with your expectations. For what it is I am very satisfied. It is smooth, reliable, and strong enough for my camera and lens's. The addition of the Arca-Swiss compatible mounting clamp really is what makes the difference at this price point and opens it to a much wider realm of options like camera mount L-plates and camera specific mount plates.

While this review isn't specifically about the Gorillapod Focus its fitting to add a bit in here about it as many people will buy the Ballhead X and Gorillapod Focus to complement each other. In short, the Focus does what the SLR Zoom couldn't: Support my camera. The Focus does the job without breaking a sweat. Is it the perfect tripod? Nope. But then again its not trying to be. It is a small, lightweight, flexible support compromise. As of the time I write this, I feel like I can trust my camera on this product. Thats something I could never do with the SLR Zoom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Alternative, January 14, 2010
Andrew Weiss "ADW" (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:54 Mins

The gorillapod is a great alternative to carrying a standard tripod and as long as you use a sturdy ballhead it can handle a full frame DSLR and a heavy lens. I've provided a video example using the gorilapod with a RRS-BH30 ballhead and L-bracket mounted to a Canon 5D Mark 11 24-70 f2.8

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a well made Joby product... that works, July 2, 2010
Harry M. Shin (Livermore, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Gorillapod Focus Camera Tripod (Black/Grey) (Electronics)
1. I use the tripod, probably more than the typical photographer due to my interest in panoramic photography. Thus, I've had occasion to use many types of tripods over the years (Bogen, Manfrotto, Gitzo... the traditional aluminum vs carbon fiber etc... etc...). Furthermore, one must understand and accept the premise that no one tripod is going to be appropriate for all situations.

2. With that being said, if you need a table top type tripod or a flexible tripod, then this is a no brainer purchase. Unlike the cheaper / smaller Joby tripods (which I have purchased in the past-> bad choice), this unit was well made, sturdy / solid, and most importantly is set up to utilize a ball head. The ball head issue is critical in my opinion because this will allow one to more securely hold their camera in place as well as more easily set up the camera for a shot. If you buy the cheaper Joby products that don't allow one to utilize an independent ball head, you're camera may sag at that junction point (it's somewhat difficult to explain but trust me on this one).

3. Now there may be folks wondering if they do need this bigger unit; it is definitely bigger than the lower end models (but definitely still compact compared to a regular tripod)--> I would advise that IF you shoot with any camera (s) other than a true small point / shoot, then just get this unit. As many have noted in their reviews, Joby overestimates the weight capacity of their units and thus don't waste your money on the cheaper models. Just get this one unit, which then should last for hopefully a long time and you'll experience a solid little tripod that actually works. In terms of the extra costs of buying a little ball head--> just get one, because you'll always be able to use that ball head with other tripods down the road. Various companies make nice little ballheads (velbon, really right stuff, the joby one looks fairly decent etc...)

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a Gorillapod that will hold up my camera - usually, April 3, 2009
This review is from: Gorillapod Focus Camera Tripod (Black/Grey) (Electronics)
Gorillapods are great, but you need one thats one-model stiffer than what Joby says. For example, get this one if you have a D300, and dont expect it to hold it up very well with a 600mm/2.8 lens on it. But it will hold it up with medium size lenses. My previous one, one model down, was not strong enough for me to be comfortable putting a D300 on with anything heavier than the 18-200 mounted. Just be careful - its easy to dump your camera with this thing if you're not.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money, January 27, 2012

*** 3 month update ***
The tripod head is pretty much useless. When you lock it down it settles ruining your careful framing. You cannot tighten the knob enough to make it not settle. I am writing that off as a total loss.

The tripod itself works fine if you want a tripod that is close to the ground ( I do ), but I have had zero luck wrapping it around anything remotely cylindrical. Luckily I only chipped a lens hood finding this out. It might work fine with a very light camera but forget about it when using a heavy lens. It also takes forever to deploy and once deployed, good luck trying to reframe between the head and the tripod itself settling.

I regret not sucking it up and getting a real tripod and head when that is what I really need. I don't see the use case for a tripod like the gorilla pod unless you want to be low to the ground or do some macro work. Why limit yourself to the things you can wrap a gorilla pod around (if even!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, But You Can Reach Its Practical Limit, March 29, 2011
Dan (Alexandria, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is for the Joby GP8-BHEN Gorillapod Focus with Ballhead X bundle.

I'm a serious amateur photographer who purchased this product as an alternative to carrying my much larger and heavier Gitzo GT3530LS carbon tripod with Really Right Stuff BH-55 ballhead. I mainly shoot landscapes, interiors, and macro; I intend to use this product for these same purposes when I travel and for awkward macro positions.

I haven't used the product yet for actual shoots, but I have conducted several experiments with it to get a feel for its effectiveness and limits. Here are my comments:

(1) Before purchasing, I considered buying only the Focus Gorillapod and using my Really Right Stuff ballhead. The BH-55 ballhead is fairly heavy, so the Ballhead X was tempting. It's not well documented, except for a parenthetical remark on Joby's website, but I was very pleased to learn that the Ballhead X is Arca-Swiss compatible! I was a little skeptical how well it would work, but I am very pleased to report that the Ballhead X holds strong on my Really Right Stuff L-bracket and lens plates. The Ballhead X is no match for my BH-55, but considering the price and size/weight, I'm quite pleased.

(2) I experimented with putting the Focus/Ballhead X in various positions, loaded with combinations of the equipment I'll most likely use with it: Nikon D700 (with L-bracket), Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro, Really Right Stuff flash bracket, and Nikon SB-900 flash. Everything held firm when the camera was either completely horizontal or just a little tilted; however, as the camera was bent down (as would be necessary for macro work), the limit of the Focus was apparent - the legs were insufficient to stop the camera from slowly bending over. This "bending over" could be mitigated if one of the Focus' legs was placed right under the lens. I didn't weigh the various combinations of equipment, but I am certain all combinations weighed less than the stated limit of 11.1 pounds (although I never expected for the Focus/Ballhead X to tolerate that full load). Despite the fact that it wasn't too difficult to load the Focus/Ballhead X beyond it's practical limit, I am quite pleased with how useful it is. I believe the practical limit will provide many useful shoots for my intended purposes.

(3) Although I don't intend to use the Focus/Ballhead X to "strap" my camera to poles/trees/etc., I thought I'd experiment a little with it. This time I used only my Nikon D700 and Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens - a MUCH lighter lens than those mentioned above. I tried strapping the rig to a tree branch about 3 inches in diameter and a handrail on my interior staircase. In both situations, the rig seemed to hold OK, but honestly, I'm not sure I'd trust it - I certainly wouldn't load it with more weight than I did.

Overall, the Joby Focus and Ballhead X seems to be a quality product that should provide many useful shooting opportunities, without the need to drag along much larger/clumsier equipment. Time will tell if the individual links on the Focus remain tight (if they loosen up, the product is basically useless).

4.0 out of 5 stars 11 pounds may be an exaggeration., December 26, 2009
This review is from: Gorillapod Focus Camera Tripod (Black/Grey) (Electronics)
7 pounds is pushing it. I put a D300 with battery pack and a Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 lens on this and it's OK if not stellar. The lens has a tripod collar, so the weight is pretty evenly distributed, but I had to widen the legs of the Gorillapod, with one leg facing front, under the lens, just to be sure it wouldn't tip over. Altogether the combo is just under 7 lbs. I was going to try it with my Sigma 150-500, but the weight is too far forward and I don't want a busted lens mount. Or worse. In any case, the camera is hard to aim on the tripod, you have to aim up from the intended target, then let it come down to shooting position. There is also a lot of wobble, a cable release (or timer) is a necessity. So, you really need a head to aim it right, but the head will add height and make it more unstable. Catch 22.

I don't think I will try to wrap it around a tree branch or fence pole with $4K of camera attached. I tried wrapping it around a light stand and different parts of a ladder, without my camera on it, and it held, but really needed something to keep it from sliding down. Since the legs are not necessarily under an equal load, they will not hold as much weight. A light camera would probably be OK. That being said, I wouldn't mind walking around with this stuffed into a deep pocket or in my camera bag, it's better than nothing, and the only tripod I can carry on the subway is one that nobody can see. I used to shoot with one of those tiny pocket tripods under a P&S. The hardest part was finding a ledge or something to put it on so it would be at eye level, at least at a squat. Without finding something you're on your belly, which might make for an interesting perspective (and good with animals), but is hard in the rain and snow.

So, I'm glad I bought this, and I'll carry it (it's light by the way, just over 1 lb.), but it will not take the place of a real tripod or even a monopod.

This review was for the Focus GP8, rated at 11 pounds, as the reviews seem to have been messed up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Push The Limits, November 20, 2010
This tripod has really changed the game for me. It truly does allow you to capture any angle just about anywhere without having to haul a full sized tripod. It works incredibly well for self portraiture & is built strong. You can't go wrong with this one.

Gorillapod Focus Camera Tripod (Black/Grey)
$109.95 $82.80