I got one of the early copies (the "hairy knuckles" cover) as part of taking the Gospel Coaching course led by Scott Thomas. I've read through the book 3 times and completed the training and currently have my first group of people I'm leading through the coaching process.

Published on May 1, 2012 by Chris Meirose

3.0 out of 5 stars Pastor gave a conference based on this book
It starts pretty good, but the psychology part of it was putting me to sleep faster than an over the counter sleep aid.
Published 5 months ago by LEONOR HERNANDEZ

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful resource for helping people apply the Gospel to life, May 1, 2012
Chris Meirose "Big Chris" (Waseca, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gospel Coach: Shepherding Leaders to Glorify God (Kindle Edition)

As I first read the book I was impressed with the pastoral heart and the focus on the Gospel as the agent of transformation in our daily lives. We should never underestimate the power of the Gospel, but it happens nonetheless, even to pastors. This book brings that back clearly into focus and adds in some very practical ways to move Gospel knowledge to Gospel action and transformation.

This book is in a sense a road map for life coaching with the Gospel as the lens through which we view that process. While the book is fantastic, getting to one of the trainings will take it to a whole new level beyond that. While the intent of both the book and the training is for coaching others, it goes beyond that and had a great impact on pushing me to examine my own faith and how to better live a life that reflects the good news of Jesus Christ in all that I do. It pushes the user to make things actionable - it isn't enough to know you need to change, you have to take action.

I also appreciate that this book is more than just pious spirituality. It intends to change all areas and aspects of life. It has been helping me re-frame my need to get into better shape for instance.

If you are a pastor this is almost in the "must read" category in my opinion. If you lead other people it fits that same category as well. If you simply want to grow in your day-to-day living out your faith in Jesus Christ this is an exceptional tool as well.

Coaching is a key tool in disciple making, equipping new leaders, and growing existing leaders/staff. This book is a great aid to those ends. It is infinitely practical and immediately applicable throughout the process. Not even a third of the way through the process with the first person I am coaching and we are starting to see some wonderful progress in their application of the Gospel to their life and growth.

The book starts out making a compelling argument that every church leader needs a coach. It then spends a good chunk of pages on the Gospel and how sin effects the Church and its leaders. From there it moves into showing how Gospel transformation is different than performance-driven leadership. It pushes us as Christians to take the focus off of ourselves.

Much of the rest of the book is focused on apply the Gospel to our lives (and/or the lives of those we are coaching) using the biblical shepherding analogy to great effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to raise up leaders who make more leaders...., December 9, 2013
To tell you the truth (once again) I found myself reading a lot more Systematic Theology this year and a lot less “ministry” books. I often find myself going through cycles though, for a few months it will be all NT studies, then all ministry, then all charismatic, then all systematic theology. Also, this year I didn’t find a ministry book that I was in love with, except for this one. Gospel Coach was so good and so practical. See here is the thing, I am huge on multiplying leaders and groups. Multiplication is a big deal to me, and you can’t multiply leaders/groups without coaches. So I really believe in coaching.

Thomas and Wood tell us why we need coaches and provide a bunch of helfpul/practical ways to help our coaches do their job. However the thing that makes this book stand out is that it isn’t simply practical adivce, its practical advice rooted in the truth of the gospel. Coaching in light of the gospel; “A gospel coach provides Christian leaders a theological foundation and a practical system to develop and equip other leaders in the local church to make disciples and to shepherd them to glorify God and to effectively lead.” If you want to raise up these kinds of leaders read this book. If you want to raise up leaders who not only make other disciples but make other leaders, read this book.

(Note: This was my top "Ministry" book of 2012)

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this one!, January 5, 2013
There are lots of good books on coaching out there - but I don't know of any that center coaching in the gospel like this one does. For that reason alone, this book has become the first one I recommend to those who are coaching men and women in ministry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gospel-Centered Mentoring, August 27, 2012
Tom Farr (Huntsville, TX) - See all my reviews
It's been exciting to watch a resurgence of churches and church leaders embracing gospel-centered thinking and practices in the last few years. This has been the fuel for several books on how to be gospel-centered, several of which I've read and learned from. The latest that I've picked up is GOSPEL COACH by Scott Thomas and Tom Wood. GOSPEL COACH is clearly from the heart of two men who want to see church leaders and anyone in a position of spiritual authority and care over someone else to be fueled by a deep penetrating and transformative relationship with Jesus Christ. Too many church leaders are overcome by the demands of their chosen profession, and GOSPEL COACH presents the idea that all church leaders need someone investing in their life and helping them to be the best Christ follower and leader they can be.

Thomas and Wood show why leaders need a coach and why they need a coach that is committed to living out the gospel and applying the gospel to the coaching relationship. They encourage a relationship that delves into the inner motivations of a leader. Leaders are encouraged to depend on and rest in the gospel, rather than performance. The goal of gospel coaching is helping leaders to be healthy shepherds of their people, as well as gospel-centered in their personal lives as well.

Thomas and Wood use many personal examples to show how gospel coaching works. The last part of the book actually looks at the process of gospel coaching and gives specific ideas for having gospel coaching sessions.

GOSPEL COACH is a great idea for church leaders. I'm not currently a church leader, but I have been, and having a gospel coach would have been a tremendous source of spiritual blessing and guidance for me. This is definitely a book to check out.

I received this book for free for review from Zondervan, and the opinions contained in this review are completely my own

5.0 out of 5 stars You Need this Book on Your Shelf, August 16, 2012
Youth. Talent. Drive. We are inclined to think that these three ingredients are essential to success. But, with the NFL and NCAA Football seasons starting up, it's a good time to watch that assumption play out. On both levels there are dozens of extremely talented men who are in the prime of their life and athletic career. For those in college, their dream is to make it to the NFL. For those already in the NFL, they want to maintain (or attain) a starting position and get to the Super Bowl and the Hall of Fame. While youth, talent and drive are key to success in athletics, they don't guarantee it. Some people are inclined to think that what you are is all you will be. For pastors, D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones believed that teaching homiletics (preaching) was an abomination. He believed that the Spirit made each man a particular kind of preacher and that was that. Lloyd-Jones was a brilliant man and a godly pastor, but I think he makes a terrible error at this point. We fall prey to a kind of determinism if we think that we can only be as effective as the skill sets we were born with.

Now, with so many young, talented men filling the rosters of NCAA and NFL Football teams, why is it that some excel and others do not? I'm convinced that the determining factor is coaching. A good coach makes all the difference. The right coach can turn a mediocre player into a force to be reckoned with. A mediocre coach can make the all-time best, worse. Yet, the player doomed for failure - regardless of of talent and drive - is the one who thinks he doesn't need a coach. He's the one who thinks he's going to change the future of the team and the game all on his own. It's the coach who needs to listen to him. What does all this have to do with a book on ministry coaches? Because most pastors are that player. Most pastors think that they're going to change the future of their church and ministry all on their own. They don't recognize their need for a more mature believer who is far more seasoned in ministry to coach them. I'm convinced that the future health and effectiveness of the church hangs on this ever-pressing need.
Scott Thomas is the President of the Network Director Board of the Acts 29 Network. Tom Wood is the President of Church Multiplication Ministries. Both of these men have served as pastors and now they both serve in their respective ministries to raise up and train the current and up-coming generation of pastors and leaders. They recognize that both scripture and experience teach that those who minister alone are not truly ministering. Even the pastor who leads the church as the only staff member ought to be raising up godly men to share the burden of leading and ministry (Elders, Deacons, Sunday School teachers, Small Group leaders, etc.). Peter, James, and John had Jesus; Barnabas had Mark; Paul had Timothy; Elijah had Elisha; Moses had Joshua. If these saints of old needed coaching, mentoring and discipleship, why are we so arrogant to assume that we don't?

If you recognize the need for a Gospel Coach and you have the desire to be a Gospel Coach, then you need to read this book. The theology is sound and the wisdom is practical. Thomas and Wood have created a faithful and viable vision for leadership development that will impact future generations of pastors and churches for the glory of God. You need this book on your shelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical helpful guide for shepherding the heart, June 16, 2012
Excellent book that lays out the purpose and intent of coaching. It does a great job of explaining how our hearts are naturally deceptive and we need to be coached and guided into Gospel beleif. A must for all Christian leaders and pastors and an essential tool for any disciple maker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical & Deep, June 4, 2012
Wow! I have anticipated reading this book for some time now. My anticipation was met and surpassed. The principles and the plans laid out by Scott Thomas in this book are remarkable. They are remarkable for how insightful they are, and how simple they are to live out. Gospel coaching someone is not rocket science. It does take some consistency and some willingness to really get to know another person and to a desire to lead them further into maturity in Christ.

This book is dripping with solid practical advice and that starts in part 1 where Thomas lays out the foundations of Gospel Coaching. The beginning of this foundation is that every church leader needs a coach and every church leader needs the Gospel. I have heard it said that we can never graduate from the Gospel and Scott Thomas really fleshes out this truth in chapter two. The foundation also involves exploring the fallacies of performance-centered leadership inside the church, how that relates to stress in the ministry and examining the only real cure for ministry stress. This section closes by taking a look at three area in which we all need to examine our life; spiritually, personally, and missionally.

Part 2 explores what it means to coach as a shepherd leader. Pastoring people really does require that we shepherd people and to do that well, we need to know them, feed them, lead them, and protect them. We cannot feed, lead or protect without knowing someone. To try to do so will only result in heartache and failure. It all begins by knowing people and knowing them well. Then we can feed them, and we feed them with the truth of God's word. We also lead them, we lead them to maturity in Christ, and along the way we protect them. One of the key things I learned about protecting well as a shepherd is that it is more about being gentle with the sheep than it is about shooting wolves.

The final section, part 3 gets really practical with how coaching sessions work. Included in this is something called The Gospel Life Plan, which I recommend everyone to do. It is all about planning and looking at where God has called you in your personal, spiritual, and missional lives, examining your goals under those callings, determining your action steps to meet those goals, and how you are going to steward things in your life to make it happen. This section also takes you step by step through how to coach. The book ends with a remarkable set of Appendices. The book is worth its price for the Appendices alone.

I recommend this book to all of those in ministry, but don't let it be one of those books you buy, skim and put on the shelf. This needs to be one you pour through again and again and really live it out; doing so will produce much Gospel fruit.

I did receive this book free from Zondervan for the purpose of reviewing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Major Shift in the Mentoring Process, August 22, 2012
Here is a book that has shifted my thinking about coaching in general and coaching church planters in particular. I had previously learned a way of coaching that was more passive and was characterized by what this book calls "a nondirective, client-centered therapy (CCT) approach to solving personal problems in which the therapist/coach deliberately avoids directing or instructing the client in a particular way--even if he feels it can help the client" (45).

Scott and Wood give another approach to coaching described as "gospel coaching" where the good news of the gospel permeates both the coach and the person being mentored. Instead of "performance-centered living" (63), the person being mentored moves to "gospel-centered living" (69-70) where the roots are found in our being in Christ. This means realizing all that I have in Christ and living on that identity.

This does not lead to a passive life style since this "gospel-centered life" has as its goal the worship of God and is empowered by the Holy Spirit (77).

The effective coach is a "shepherd-leader" (chapter six) and out of this flows the four qualities of a shepherd: knowing, feeding, leading, and protecting the disciple leader.

The coach is also concerned to help those being mentored to avoid the idols of power, approval, comfort, and security (69). The authors state their concern that "ministry leaders often drink a poisonous cocktail of narcissism and isolation" (69). Gospel-centered mentoring deals with the person, spiritual, and mission aspects of the disciple-leader (97).

There are six appendices where this type of gospel-centered coaching is worked out in practice.

How much I wish I would have had this help when seeking to help other church planters and pastors as well as seeing how this works out in my life. It will certainly make a difference as I help in mentoring church planters in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book with good training, February 28, 2014
I really enjoyed going through this book. My pastor and I went through it together and are attending a Gospel Coach conference this weekend. We are looking forward to using the principals and teachings from this book to help engage others through a coaching relationship.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and practical, June 1, 2013
This book is NOT another book written by people who've never done it with a system that doesn't work in real life. Scott Thomas gives us a plan that we can begin implementing right now.