Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon June 3, 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It goes without saying that I could kick Forrest Griffin's butt; I merely choose not to. And the reason I choose no to is because I'm terrified of him and hide whenever he comes into the same time zone. Or at least I do now, after reading GOT FIGHT?, his rambling, comedic book on what it takes to be successful in the almost-no-holds-barred world of mixed martial arts. Obviously, if you're reading this review, you know Griffin as the guy whose kill-or-be-killed performance on the inaugural season of THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER reality show helped turn the UFC from a disreputable, back-alley promotion into the world-dominating sports juggernaut it is today. Since then, he went on to coach a season of that now-hit show, and win-and-lose the UFC's light heavyweight title. He's currently slated to fight Anderson "The Spider" Silva, who is almost universally regarded as the No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in MMA. No small order, but not long ago Griffin destroyed Shogun Rua, who many considered to be the best fighter in the world at 205 pounds: so I s'pose it's anybody's guess. Anyway: what distinguishes Griffin from a lot of guys competing in mixed martial arts are two things:

1) He's well-and-truly crazy. I don't mean fake-crazy, which rap music has popularized, and which has led to a large number of people getting badly beaten up in bars when they tried to go "fake crazy" on people who could actually fight; I mean he's really nuts. Anybody who can hold a lit cigarette lighter to his flesh for fourteen seconds without flinching simply because he's in the mood ain't right in the braincase, but he does make for good television.

2) He likes to fight. I spent many years in "classic" martial arts, and while I was mastering nonsense like crescent kicks and the C-step middle punch, I rolled with a lot of guys who modeled themselves after Johnny from THE KARATE KID -- you know, the rich kids with bolt-on abs who didn't want their hair mussed while they fought, much less lose a tooth or bust a lip; but I also encountered a fairly number of people who would honestly, truly, rather get in a street fight than make love to a supermodel. Griffin is one of these people. If there wasn't a UFC, he'd fight on toughman shows where the loser gets dragged to the curb and laid out with the trash -- great anecdote from the book, by the way!

GOT FIGHT? then, is a reflection of Griffin's personality. It's one of the filthiest books I've ever read -- seriously, this guy has an obsession with bodily functions, bad words and disgusting anecdotes that needs serious analysis, I mean it could make Andrew Dice Clay blush, but it's also one of the funniest. I've seen standup comedians who didn't make me laugh half as much as Griffin, who is probably the most self-depreciating guy who can kick you through a cinderblock wall you're ever likely to meet. It's also highly entertaining. Take, for example, the last chapter of the book, where he's demonstrating through photos various fight techniques. One of them is how to repel a dog attack, and Forrest being Forrest, the dog in the picture is a poodle about the size of his head...and the poodle is talking in captions. At least a fifth of the book is also dedicated to completely irrelevant, MAXIM-like topics such as how to get into a Vegas nightclub, where you rate on the Forrest Griffin Scale of Manliness, or how best to score sleazy chicks at your local watering hole. Humor aside, Griffin has a knack for telling a story, whether it's how he got beaten up once a week for the first 15 years of his life or what tactics he used to dethrone Quinton "Rampage" Jackson in the Octogon. One of my personal favorite moments is when he scathingly compares "martial artists" to "fighters" (something I found hilarious even though I was essentially the one being made fun of.) But GOT FIGHT? is neither biography, nor comedy album, nor how-to book, though it has all those aspects; more than anything, Griffin is trying to explain what it means to BE a professional MMA fighter, when the cameras aren't on and Dana White is not in the building. Without trying to intimidate the reader, he wants him to understand just what is involved with making MMA your profession -- not your hobby, mind you, but your actual profession. How to train, make weight, eat, choose a manager, escape crazy women groupies -- he explains all of it, but he also stresses the harships involved, which involve a lot of physical pain and very, very little money.

My only beef with GOT FIGHT? is that it is lacking a conclusion, which is not a mistake the co-author, martial arts expert Erich Krauss, should have made. After riveting the reader with his anecdotes and crazy advice, the book trails off into the usual martial arts pictures of how to do this or that move -- granted, with funny captions, but still, a lame way to close an otherwise terrific book. Hopefully, the publisher will coax Forrest away from his Newcastle Brown Ale and chicken wings long enough to write one. In the mean time, however, I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand what happens -- and doesn't happen -- between the cauliflowered ears of one of MMA's most popular fighters.
55 comments|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2009
This is one of the wittiest and 'laugh out loud' funny books that I have ever read. While it may not be a "how-to" guide for MMA, it certainly provides useful information peppered in amongst hysterical stories and anecdotes. Griffin's self-deprecating humor and unique writing style make for an extremely entertaining read that will you have you laughing until your sides hurt. I would recommend "Got Fight?" not only to MMA fans, but to anyone who has a sense of humor.
VINE VOICEon June 5, 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Don't buy this book expecting to learn about fighting, or most especially about Zen! The most important thing about this book is not to take it seriously in any way whatsoever. If you had any doubts about this, you will quickly be enlightened by the Manliness Quiz in the front of the book. If you score high, you are encouraged to read the book. If you score medium, you are allowed to read the book, but must conceal it, and must insist to anyone who asks that the book was too manly for you. If you score low, you must not read the book under any circumstances, and should wear pantyhose, put on lipstick, and drive badly. (It is assumed that all but three readers of the book will be biological men, not women). Do you have the picture now?

The book is divided into short, mostly independent articles, with titles such as "Chicken Soup for your Scrotum" and "The Definitive Definition that Defines a Douche Bag." Maybe the way this is headed is becoming clearer to you now....

As expected, there are stories about fighting and becoming a professional fighter. I'm pretty sure some of those are even mostly true. As well as short sections on how to get into exclusive clubs, and how to pick up trampy women. HINT FROM FORREST: A good way to pick up women is to pretend to be a well-known movie star, including having your friends come up to you and ask for an autograph.

For years, I thought "Snorkel Bob's Reality Guide to Hawaii" was the strangest book I would ever read, but now I learn that I've been wrong all that time. This book wins the award hands down.

I rated this book a "3", as something of an average: I suspect that fans of Griffin or of weird humor will rank it a "5" and want to give it a "6", most sane and socially respectable people will give it a "2", and prudes who are offended by foul language or a coarse, violent attitude will rank it as one, and feel that gives it entirely too much credit! Check out where you fit in the above categories, and you'll know what to do.

PS: I do agree with other reviewers that the photo series showing how to defend yourself from a dog (poodle) is hilarious!
on August 22, 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
I read this book after watching FORREST GRIFFIN win the FIRST MMA MATCH I had ever seen .... FORREST and THE MMA intrigued ME .... and that's why I decided to read his BOOK ....

AND LET ME SAY ... HE is as ENTERTAINING in PRINT as HE is in THE FIGHT .... SO, if you've GOT TIME .... READ the BOOK ...

I NO LONGER WATCH that much MMA .... BUT I still PICK UP his BOOK every once in a while .... BECAUSE FORREST's NOT ONLY GOT FIGHT ... HE's GOT ATTITUDE .... and I think HIS LESSONS apply TO LIFE ...
on October 12, 2011
There were some complaints about this not being a training book. There are a lot of points about the physical, mental and emotional aspects of fighting that I was glad to read about and found useful. Also, if you don't have access to people who fight in the ring regularly, this is a great source to learn from one. I suppose if you're an experienced fighter it would be of less use to you. On the other hand, if you're an advanced fighter complaining about the lack of training content in a book basically meant for entertainment then you're barking up the wrong tree.

Some of the humor was a little over the top. Some of it made me LOL for a couple minutes straight. It's written well for someone who prefers a sort of ADD approach to reading. Recommended if you are not looking for bleeding-edge training information and for lulz.
on April 26, 2011
I enjoyed reading the book and probably got a few things out of it.

Forrest (or whoever helped him write the book) is pretty funny. Some of the chapters, like on gym hygiene, really made me laugh when thinking about my training buddies.

Most of the book is written like college kid would write/think. I'm not saying that's bad, I enjoyed it. Just don't get your hopes up that this book is going to improve your fight game.

More than anything, the books entertaining. And there are some parts of the book that are inspirational. If you want to be a fighter, you really have to be willing to give up everything.

Thanks for a good read, Forrest
on November 26, 2013
Very easy read, you could probably give it to a third grader and they would enjoy it. It is really funny, but I probaly finished it in about 8 hours (which is a very short time for me. I ain't no speed reader).
on April 28, 2013
This is such a fantastic book to read! Forrest Griffin is done right hilarious and funny in this book! Don't read this book thinking it's the greatest literary gift to men, but go in with an open mind and prepare to amazed!
on December 16, 2012
I really didn't know what to expect from this but I enjoyed this book a lot since it gave me an interesting outlook of this fighter's life and now because of this book I like him a lot he's a very real character
on September 4, 2014
Literally made me LOL many times, which I don't think any other book has ever done to me. I'm struggling to decide who I would suggest this to... anyone who is mildly into/following MMA - you will love it and find it hilarious and it's a MUST read for sure. Anyone not into MMA at all, I actually think you'd still enjoy it. There's just so many crazy stories and just funny real life lessons. And Big John contributes, and is part of the funniest part of the book.

It's just so raw and brutally honest, Forrest Griffin is insane and hilarious.