4.0 out of 5 stars Got Forrest?
Published on June 3, 2009 by M. G Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars If you know what to expect, you'll get it....
Published on June 5, 2009 by M. Broderick

4.0 out of 5 stars Got Forrest?, June 3, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It goes without saying that I could kick Forrest Griffin's butt; I merely choose not to. And the reason I choose no to is because I'm terrified of him and hide whenever he comes into the same time zone. Or at least I do now, after reading GOT FIGHT?, his rambling, comedic book on what it takes to be successful in the almost-no-holds-barred world of mixed martial arts. Obviously, if you're reading this review, you know Griffin as the guy whose kill-or-be-killed performance on the inaugural season of THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER reality show helped turn the UFC from a disreputable, back-alley promotion into the world-dominating sports juggernaut it is today. Since then, he went on to coach a season of that now-hit show, and win-and-lose the UFC's light heavyweight title. He's currently slated to fight Anderson "The Spider" Silva, who is almost universally regarded as the No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in MMA. No small order, but not long ago Griffin destroyed Shogun Rua, who many considered to be the best fighter in the world at 205 pounds: so I s'pose it's anybody's guess. Anyway: what distinguishes Griffin from a lot of guys competing in mixed martial arts are two things:

1) He's well-and-truly crazy. I don't mean fake-crazy, which rap music has popularized, and which has led to a large number of people getting badly beaten up in bars when they tried to go "fake crazy" on people who could actually fight; I mean he's really nuts. Anybody who can hold a lit cigarette lighter to his flesh for fourteen seconds without flinching simply because he's in the mood ain't right in the braincase, but he does make for good television.

2) He likes to fight. I spent many years in "classic" martial arts, and while I was mastering nonsense like crescent kicks and the C-step middle punch, I rolled with a lot of guys who modeled themselves after Johnny from THE KARATE KID -- you know, the rich kids with bolt-on abs who didn't want their hair mussed while they fought, much less lose a tooth or bust a lip; but I also encountered a fairly number of people who would honestly, truly, rather get in a street fight than make love to a supermodel. Griffin is one of these people. If there wasn't a UFC, he'd fight on toughman shows where the loser gets dragged to the curb and laid out with the trash -- great anecdote from the book, by the way!

GOT FIGHT? then, is a reflection of Griffin's personality. It's one of the filthiest books I've ever read -- seriously, this guy has an obsession with bodily functions, bad words and disgusting anecdotes that needs serious analysis, I mean it could make Andrew Dice Clay blush, but it's also one of the funniest. I've seen standup comedians who didn't make me laugh half as much as Griffin, who is probably the most self-depreciating guy who can kick you through a cinderblock wall you're ever likely to meet. It's also highly entertaining. Take, for example, the last chapter of the book, where he's demonstrating through photos various fight techniques. One of them is how to repel a dog attack, and Forrest being Forrest, the dog in the picture is a poodle about the size of his head...and the poodle is talking in captions. At least a fifth of the book is also dedicated to completely irrelevant, MAXIM-like topics such as how to get into a Vegas nightclub, where you rate on the Forrest Griffin Scale of Manliness, or how best to score sleazy chicks at your local watering hole. Humor aside, Griffin has a knack for telling a story, whether it's how he got beaten up once a week for the first 15 years of his life or what tactics he used to dethrone Quinton "Rampage" Jackson in the Octogon. One of my personal favorite moments is when he scathingly compares "martial artists" to "fighters" (something I found hilarious even though I was essentially the one being made fun of.) But GOT FIGHT? is neither biography, nor comedy album, nor how-to book, though it has all those aspects; more than anything, Griffin is trying to explain what it means to BE a professional MMA fighter, when the cameras aren't on and Dana White is not in the building. Without trying to intimidate the reader, he wants him to understand just what is involved with making MMA your profession -- not your hobby, mind you, but your actual profession. How to train, make weight, eat, choose a manager, escape crazy women groupies -- he explains all of it, but he also stresses the harships involved, which involve a lot of physical pain and very, very little money.

My only beef with GOT FIGHT? is that it is lacking a conclusion, which is not a mistake the co-author, martial arts expert Erich Krauss, should have made. After riveting the reader with his anecdotes and crazy advice, the book trails off into the usual martial arts pictures of how to do this or that move -- granted, with funny captions, but still, a lame way to close an otherwise terrific book. Hopefully, the publisher will coax Forrest away from his Newcastle Brown Ale and chicken wings long enough to write one. In the mean time, however, I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand what happens -- and doesn't happen -- between the cauliflowered ears of one of MMA's most popular fighters.

3.0 out of 5 stars If you know what to expect, you'll get it...., June 5, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Don't buy this book expecting to learn about fighting, or most especially about Zen! The most important thing about this book is not to take it seriously in any way whatsoever. If you had any doubts about this, you will quickly be enlightened by the Manliness Quiz in the front of the book. If you score high, you are encouraged to read the book. If you score medium, you are allowed to read the book, but must conceal it, and must insist to anyone who asks that the book was too manly for you. If you score low, you must not read the book under any circumstances, and should wear pantyhose, put on lipstick, and drive badly. (It is assumed that all but three readers of the book will be biological men, not women). Do you have the picture now?

The book is divided into short, mostly independent articles, with titles such as "Chicken Soup for your Scrotum" and "The Definitive Definition that Defines a Douche Bag." Maybe the way this is headed is becoming clearer to you now....

As expected, there are stories about fighting and becoming a professional fighter. I'm pretty sure some of those are even mostly true. As well as short sections on how to get into exclusive clubs, and how to pick up trampy women. HINT FROM FORREST: A good way to pick up women is to pretend to be a well-known movie star, including having your friends come up to you and ask for an autograph.

For years, I thought "Snorkel Bob's Reality Guide to Hawaii" was the strangest book I would ever read, but now I learn that I've been wrong all that time. This book wins the award hands down.

I rated this book a "3", as something of an average: I suspect that fans of Griffin or of weird humor will rank it a "5" and want to give it a "6", most sane and socially respectable people will give it a "2", and prudes who are offended by foul language or a coarse, violent attitude will rank it as one, and feel that gives it entirely too much credit! Check out where you fit in the above categories, and you'll know what to do.

PS: I do agree with other reviewers that the photo series showing how to defend yourself from a dog (poodle) is hilarious!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Got Fight?" makes for a fantastic read., August 6, 2009
This is one of the wittiest and 'laugh out loud' funny books that I have ever read. While it may not be a "how-to" guide for MMA, it certainly provides useful information peppered in amongst hysterical stories and anecdotes. Griffin's self-deprecating humor and unique writing style make for an extremely entertaining read that will you have you laughing until your sides hurt. I would recommend "Got Fight?" not only to MMA fans, but to anyone who has a sense of humor.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Like, "Who Moved My Nose?" a Lot Better for a Title, May 28, 2009
Shawn Kovacich "Shawn Kovacich" (The Greatest Little City in the World) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to agree with the author that the title he preferred, "Who Moved My Nose?" is a much better title for this book. But running a close second is, "Death Is a Journey and My Bags Are Packed" runs a very close second.

This book (and the author for that matter) is without a doubt the funniest, most sarcastic, morbidly twisted sense of humor books that has so far come out of the MMA world, and I laughed the entire time I read it. Forrest Griffin has to be one of the funniest people in the world of MMA. I remember watching an interview with him and an upcoming opponent (whom I can't remember) on I believe Inside MMA and I laughed so hard at Forrest's responses to the various questions posed him that I thought to myself, "This is one really down to earth and cool individual."

Now this book is not for the faint of heart, nor is it for the armchair or keyboard warrior, although I would encourage all of you who are to run out and by several copies of this book as I am sure Forrest would appreciate the money. However, be warned that you'll probably take offense to pretty much everything he has to say in this book, but then again maybe not, because of course he wouldn't be talking about YOU!

To say that I enjoyed this entire book would be a fairly accurate statement. To say that I found something funny on darn near every page would also be a fairly accurate statement. Therefore, I am only going to include a couple of highlights in this review. In no particular order.

1. Check out the defense against a dog attack under, "The Vault of Supersecret Techniques" section. I have a new found respect for Forrest after teaching us how to defeat such a massively huge and aggressive member of the canine species. I know that the ASPCA will probably have an issue with this particular section, but come on now, that dog was a monster and I could see where Forrest felt in fear of his life.

2. "The Asian Dart" defense, also under "The Vault of Supersecret Techniques" section. Come on Forrest with an endorsement of this technique it's okay to come out of the closet. Ha Ha Ha

3.The "Man Test" at the beginning of the book. Yes, I did score over 40 points, although I did end up taking the test twice as I was laughing so hard during the first time that I actually forgot to right my answers down.

I can not recommend this book highly enough and I would have to emphatically declare that if you don't buy this book, there is no way you can even attempt to even begin to believe that you are a real man. (Okay Forrest, remember 10% of all Amazon sales goes to me now for posting this review.)

Oh, and this is not a technique book, so don't expect to learn the newest grappling or striking move, although you may end up learning a bit about life. Or then again, maybe not.

Shawn Kovacich
Martial Artist (Yes Forrest, I am real live legitimate one, who can also really fight!) and Author of the Achieving Kicking Excellence series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and inspirational-well at least sometimes, April 26, 2011
This review is from: Got Fight?: The 50 Zen Principles of Hand-to-Face Combat (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading the book and probably got a few things out of it.

Forrest (or whoever helped him write the book) is pretty funny. Some of the chapters, like on gym hygiene, really made me laugh when thinking about my training buddies.

Most of the book is written like college kid would write/think. I'm not saying that's bad, I enjoyed it. Just don't get your hopes up that this book is going to improve your fight game.

More than anything, the books entertaining. And there are some parts of the book that are inspirational. If you want to be a fighter, you really have to be willing to give up everything.

Thanks for a good read, Forrest

2.0 out of 5 stars yeah, I bought it, August 8, 2009
I was walking through the new hardcover section of the bookstore when I saw this face. It was an ugly face but there was something interesting in the eyes so I picked it up. The guy on the cover, Forrest Griffin looked like he'd been to hell, and made himself comfortable before working his way back.

I leafed through a few pages and my thoughts went from, "This guy is kidding, right?," and "Nah, that can't be true!." to "Holy moly, he's not kidding." My reactions went from "This is horrible!," to "This is funny." I bought it, took it home and read it twice. Obviously, I'm not the target audience for this book, Griffin was aiming for fans, mixed martial arts practitioners and those guys who used to fight each other behind the dumpster next to the cafeteria in college.

Among other things he talks about nasty gyms, disgusting grappling partners, getting a manager, finding a trainer, avoiding nutty women and getting the right mental attitude. Is this great writing? Well no, but this book doesn't need to be War and Peace. Is it accurate? Heck, how would I know? I read a couple of chapters to my male relatives who played football and wrestled back in the day and they were nodding their heads in agreement so that's good enough for me. The sections on staph infections, making weight and how to close a cut seemed to get their pleased attention the most.

I'll end this with a few more thoughts: this book is not for kids.Your schoolaged son may be a huge Griffin fan but this book still isn't for him. If you're reading Got Fight, you need to be out of your mama's house and making it on your own. The book might not be safe for work, depending on where you are employed and don't be suprised if people ask you why on earth you are reading it.

I learned a little bit about a world and sport that I was only barley aware of before and I was amused. I got my money's worth.

4.0 out of 5 stars He'll of a book, February 18, 2013
Book gave a in depth understanding of who Forrest Griffin is as a fighter and as a person. Also leaves you asking yourself if becoming a fighter is really for you?

2.0 out of 5 stars Nuggets of greatness, too much frat speak, May 14, 2012
If a UFC fighter is going to write a deep book about fighting, my guess is it will be Forrest. Got Fight? is that book. I couldn't find 50 Zen Principles.
There are some great nuggets on fear (conquer fear by doing what you are most afraid of), training (the ability to get better - to properly train - is the most important skill), and finding meaning in life (we all should be lucky enough to find something that means enough to make us cry). The problem is it is filled in with pages and pages of frat speak - proving your toughness or scoring with the ladies.
Forrest - please think deeply about your philosophy and write about that. Don't worry about trying to entertain, try to enlighten.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining enough, not great, August 31, 2011
Jack (St Paul, MN United States) - See all my reviews
If you are the world's biggest Forrest Griffin fan, then maybe you'll love this book. Otherwise its just OK testosterone potty humor.

4.0 out of 5 stars I've never had a gun. I write. I'm a writer! - A writer? Letters and such? -Books., July 24, 2014
I was never a fan of Forrest. I always rooted for whoever was fighting him. My first image of him was when he lost to Keith Jardine. I think of him running away from the Octagon after a loss. Self -deprecating himself with Rashad Evans after he just lost. Giving up to Anderson Silva. I didn’t like him.

I recently decided to join a gym after being a hardcore UFC fan for the last seven years and I was looking for the best book on MMA. I did some research and Got Fight! kept coming up as a worthwhile read. So, I bought the book. I read it kind of hoping to fuel my opinion that I didn’t like Forrest and I did find some things that helped me reinforce that opinion. I thought some of the things in the book were irresponsible and disturbing. I don’t believe Forrest was an innocent bystander watching his friends repeatedly beat the crap out of a nerd on a college campus that Forrest later claimed was the toughest guy he’s ever met while reflecting on the incident years later.

However, I started noticing as I read the book that Forrest despises a lot of the same types of people that I despise. He came across to me as sincere, looney-toons, and simple. I identified with that. Then on page 122 Forrest went into a rant about his favorite movies, TV shows, and bands and basically said that if you didn’t agree with him you are a douche bag, which is exactly the way I think. He said one of his favorite movies is Unforgiven and he said one of his favorite bands is Guns n’ Roses (circa 1987) “no explanation needed.” Those two things changed my opinion on Forrest and I started to seriously rethink my assessment of him.

So, I rented a couple of his old UFC fights from Family Video . I noticed that Forrest is nonstop. He came to fight. He left everything in the Octagon. He worked hard. I gained a modicum of respect for him. I realized that what he did; winning The Ultimate Fighter, becoming a champion, and kick starting a sport, isn’t a joke.

His book and 42 fighting tips are good material for someone who is starting out and thinking about getting in to MMA.

Got Fight?: The 50 Zen Principles of Hand-to-Face Combat
Got Fight?: The 50 Zen Principles of Hand-to-Face Combat by Erich Krauss (Paperback - May 18, 2010)
$14.99 $9.54