4.0 out of 5 stars Trey Songz
The Debut by Trey Songz was successful in my opinion. The trey that most people don't really know about on those Mixtapes is a little less radio friendly. This guy can sing, you can't take it away from him. I broke the album down like this....

1. Aretha Franklin (intro)

Published on July 26, 2005 by Tremaine

3.0 out of 5 stars (3.5 stars) Songz In Trey Minor!
Published on September 6, 2005 by Charles L. Hubbert

3.0 out of 5 stars (3.5 stars) Songz In Trey Minor!, September 6, 2005
This review is from: I Gotta Make It (Audio CD)
This 20-year-old Virginian has the same mentality most other R&B artists have had in recent memory..."I gotta make it." Really, this can be applied to any music genre, but it seems like the R&B world suffers more than any of the other formats. It's almost heartbreaking when you think about the potentially long-term careers that could have been established from well deserving artists like Deborah Cox, Zhane, and Rahsaan Patterson. There are so many others like Will Downing, Dave Hollister, Kenny Lattimore, and Chante Moore that have had extensive careers but with little notoriety. Trey Songz hopes to break the mold and not fall into either category with his debut album I Gotta Make It.

Although a newcomer, Trey Songz has a lot of things working for him on this album. He enlists the help of Twista on his debut single "Gotta Make It" to give some definition to his style. He continues his love for R&B and Hip-Hop on the Scott Storch-assisted "All The Ifs In the World," the upbeat club song "Just Wanna Cut," and the track "Your Behind," a song penned by Donell Jones. When listening to the album, it actually sounds like a couple songs could have been written by or featured on an album by Donell Jones, namely "Hatin' Love" and "Kinda Lovin." But it's no secret who Trey's favorite artist is. When you listen to songs like "I Gotta Go," "From A Woman's Hand," or "Make Love Tonight," you'll feel like you're listening to an album by R Kelly. These two trends can become devastating to an artist trying to build up his own abilities of becoming a standout superstar.

Despite these comparisons, Trey still sings with conviction and does it well. And songs like the seductive "In The Middle," the insightful "Cheat On You," and the delightful "Comin' For You" all sound like no one else but Trey. If you can get past the similarities, you'll really enjoy this album. But Trey might want to stick to originality when it comes to establishing a career for himself...or else he could easily be lost in the shuffle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Trey Songz, July 26, 2005
This review is from: I Gotta Make It (Audio CD)

1. Aretha Franklin (intro)

2. Just Gotta Make it 5/5 - everyone has heard this song, it comes on everyday all day on the radio. Nice song.

3. Cheat On You 4/5 - i like the way this song sounds. We always hear how females feel but for once a male r&b singer puts it out there that hey, females do dirt too, and it makes us wanna cheat sometimes. Good song in my opinion.

4. Gotta Go 3 1/2 out of 5 - this song is real laid back. It goes along with the mood of the cd. Nice song, just gotta listen to it.

5.Ooo 3 1/2 out of 5 - this song is different. when i first heard it, i thought it was pure garbage. But after while i began liking it. it's not that bad, but his second club song on the cd puts this one to shame.

6.All the If's 4/5 - this song is sweet. Once again trey sings about things you can relate to.

7. Ur Behind 4/5 - this song is hot to me. I like the beat, sounds like timbaland coulda produced it. Kinda like Trey's version of "Slow Down".

8.From a woman's hand - 2/5 i personally dont like this song and felt like this could have been left off the cd. It has a good message tho but i didn't care for it.

9.Kinda Lovin 3/5 average slow jam.

10.Comin for You 2/5 - didn't really like this song like that either. i keep skippin it. I can see it growing on me later on down the road though.

11.Just wanna cut (interlude)

12.Just Wanna Cut 6 /5 Thats right ! 6 out of 5 ! This song is FIRE ! I like it better than just gotta make it. To me this is what saved the CD. It was the difference between being average and hot. This is my fav track on the cd. I can't even imagine wut the radio will do if they get their hands on this song, let alone the club...woo ! The Beat is sweet!

13.In The Middle 4/5 cool song. I like it, sounds like an old r.kelly song.

14.Make Love Tonight 5/5 I like the way this song feels. Just pure feel good music right here. I can see the old heads playin this at cookouts 2 steppin to it. Sort of like a "Step in the name of Love"

15.Hatin Love 3/5 - average song for the cd.

16.Gotta Go reprise - this should have ended the cd as like the outro, cause he is giving shout outs..the next track has to be the worse remix i've heard in my 19 years of living.

17. Just gotta make it REMIX 0/5 - honestly this track was garbage....they should have put the one song Trey has with Jay-Z "Only You" on this cd....it would have fit perfectly. this was just garbage, juvenile just sucks on this track....i mean just imagine it, aretha, trey, and juvenile.....together....NAAAAA that frickin sucked !

Overall album rating

4/5

Trey impressed me with this album....I was expecting it to be like those mixtapes i heard where he makes petersburg sound like you will die for passing the welcome sign but he made an R&B CD that had lots of love songs that i enjoyed. I like what he's doing, plus his name is Tremaine too, so that alone shows you he's destined for success.

5.0 out of 5 stars just unbelievable, January 15, 2006
andy h (gloucester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Gotta Make It (Audio CD)
Trey, did the back-up for twista's song 'girl tonight' and i took a risk and brought his album because i thought his voice was kinda cool. However, i was pleasently suprised by the album, the balance between hip hop, slow r&b and music you'd hear in a club is exceptional, 'kinda lovin' number 9 on the album is my personal favourite, i'd simply say this album is perfect for all types of music listeners, i dont think he could have made a better debut album!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I AM LOVING THIS MAN, October 27, 2005
This review is from: I Gotta Make It (Audio CD)
Trey Songz is like a breath of fresh air! This has been a horrible year. Everywhere I turned, I was been subjected to oversexed guys talking about stuff that had no substance. After hearing Pretty Ricky's "Grind on Me" and Omarion's "O" (to name a few) I was convinced that the whole R&B world had gone to hell in a handbasket. Now enter Trey Songz. When I listen to his CD, I have to stop whatever I'm doing and just sit still. He has an amazing voice and his lyrics are great.

Trey is not into all of that "Let me flash my muscles and dance all freaky to get the ladies attention". His voice speaks for him and well- he has my attention. Did I mention that he wrote every song on the album?

He has a song on here for everyone. He even has a song dedicated to all of the single mothers out there who are raising their kids by themselves. The song (From a woman's hand) is dedicated to his mom (her name is April like me), his grandma and aunt.

My top 5:
1.Coming for you
2.Cheat on you
3.Gotta Go
4.All the if's
5.Kinda lovin

You can listen to this CD all the way through. This is definitely a CD that all R&B fans should go out and get. You won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reppin that soulful sound, January 4, 2006
Jr Green (Oxon Hill, Maryland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Gotta Make It (Audio CD)
Man I got to give it up to this dude Trey brought to the table raw emotion and passion for his first cd. When I first heard gotta make it it made me say who is this dude his voice is just real. So when his cd dropped I scopped it up real quick I pump this cd everyday Gotta Go is my cut right now. This brotha can also write music like crazy and gets respect i my book just because of that not many r&b young bucks can write they own music but he can sooooo all i can say is go and get this cd because if you wanna hear some real chill out music this brotha has got whut u looking for oh check out some of treys mixtapes if you can find them they aient no joke he really lets his vocals shine

4.0 out of 5 stars Good debut album, December 23, 2005
This review is from: I Gotta Make It (Audio CD)
The majority of the album is solid, which warrants a purchase of the album opoposed to picking and choosing singles to download. This is a fairly good debut album, promising even. He has a ways to go before he reaches the level of an Usher or R.Kelly, but then again, his debut album overshadows almost any other R&B artits's first. He has a very bright future indeed. Get the album, you will not be dissapointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing R&B, August 5, 2005
This review is from: I Gotta Make It (Audio CD)
This is easily the best r&b album of the year. Even the few songs that don't sound like hits at first will grow on you. The album even has a special guest appearance from the Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin and top-notch producers like Scott Storch and Organized Noize. Although Trey's sound is somewhat reminiscent of R. Kelly, which is not a bad thing at all, he has a unique style all his own. The best cuts on the album are "Kinda Lovin'," "Gotta Make It (Remix)," "Comin' For You," and "Make Love Tonight." In "Make Love Tonight," you can really hear the R. Kelly influence more than in any other song. The song sounds similar to "Step In The Name Of Love," by R. Kelly. Thank goodness he does not have an annoying rain drop in every song like R. Kelly. Other songs that stand out on here are "Gotta Go," "Cheat On You," and "All the Ifs," produced by Storch. I'm not even going to waste time reviewing each song on the album because they are all great, with the exception of maybe one, "Ur Behind." This song is OK but the chorus is kind of corny. But I think Trey has a great future in the industry. This is a hell of a great debut r&b album. I'm not just saying it because he is from near my hometown because when I heard "Gotta Make It," I loved it and I didn't know anything about him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice intro to a talented new artist, November 17, 2005
This review is from: I Gotta Make It (Audio CD)
I had procrastinated in purchasing this cd because someone had been beating me over the head about Trey Songz and how great he is. I still don't know if I agree with them or not...however,I do like this album. Although I'm usually more inclined to be drawn to neo soul and 25 and older type music, I was pleasantly surprised by I Gotta Make It. I was expecting an album targeting a younger audience and yes, the album does contain songs that gravitate that way. But tracks like Gotta Go, Comin For You, and Makin Love shows Trey can get down with the grown folks/steppers set as well. Very reminiscent of R. Kelly and Donnell Jones, as a previous reviewer stated. In my opinion, that fact alone is impressive...the idea that I could compare a 20 year old new artist to established artists of that caliber. The playful club banger "Oooo" pulled me in and the provacative "In the Middle" is on repeat as I type. Trey sings with passion...like he's Gotta Make It. He's in the moment and for the moment, I'm there with him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Voice, Decent Debut with a few Flaws, 3.5 stars out of 5, July 26, 2005
This review is from: I Gotta Make It (Audio CD)
Trey Songz is actually a refreshment to the R&B industry. While his debut is contemporary, he has enough soulfulness that you can feel the emotion that he puts into his songs, something that doesn't always happen in R&B anymore. And Trey Songz has a wonderful voice for a 20 year old that is rather refined.

Being so young and releasing his debut album, Trey Songz doesn't seem to try so hard as his contemporaries Mario, Omarion, and even Bow Wow. Those three all tried to act too grown up on their respective albums by cursing and growing at times too sexual (via Omarion's explicit "Take It Off"). Trey curses very little and makes himself seem more refined save for a few mishaps ("Ur Behind" is the clear misshap). Also, the LP is strengthened by the fact that there are few collaborations. This album showcases Trey which is excellent.

The major flaws are length. At 60 minutes, the album would've been better had it been cut to 40-45 minutes. It would be different if all the songs were hits at 60 minutes in length, but that isn't the case. Songz has some filler material that detracts from the best moments of I GOTTA MAKE IT. Futhermore, Trey Songz sounds best when he is singing refined ballads as opposed to some of his club-savvy tracks on this album. Here is a rundown of the tracks:

1. A Message from Aretha- No Score

2. Gotta Make It- Nice use of sampling, nice production. Songz shows his voice off at its best with nice background harmonies supporting him. The chorus is nice and catchy and Twista adds a very nice collaboration to the mix. 5/5

3. Cheat On You- once again nice sampling, nice drum programming. Songz once again shows off his polished vocals. 4.5/5

4. Gotta Go- another nice arrangement and production. You really hear an R. Kelly influence in both Trey's vocals and the arrangment itself. Maybe too much of an influence, but not bad. Songz adds a nice falsetto to his voice. 4.5/5

5. Ooo- The first major disappointment on the album. Here, Songz tries to pull off a club tune and it just isn't as effective as his balladry. His voice still is strong, but this is inconsistent to the earlier tracks and is obviously filler material. 2.5/5

6. All The Ifs- a big improvement over "Ooo". Nice production with guitars/strings. This song is a bit too lengthy though. 3.5/5.

7. Ur Behind- unique production saves this filler song. This is very corny and is clearly nothing more than filler as I said previously. As a vocal performance, this is uncredible material. 3/5.

8. From A Woman's Hand- Nice soulful arrangement and production, once again an improvement from the last track. This is Trey Songz in his "element". 4/5

9. Kinda Lovin'- definitely not as bad as "Ur Behind" or "Ooo" because it is more refined. However, it fills like filler material. 3/5

10. Comin' For You- nice production with a hip-hop beat and a soulful arrangment. 4/5

11. Just Wanna Cut (Prelude)- No Score

12. Just Wanna Cut- while this track isn't my favorite on I GOTTA MAKE IT, it is the best club track on the album. It features nice production and a nice strong voice by Trey Songz. The beat is nice and one that anyone would find easy to dance to. This would make a good choice for a third single (he's already released his second). 4/5

13. In The Middle- Merely Average. 3/5

14. Make Love Tonight- This track isn't bad, but it sounds too much like R. Kelly in too many ways. If you didn't know this was a Trey Songz album, you might guess it was R. Kelly singing to his own song. Because Trey Songz is just releasing his debut, he needs to make sure he distincts himself away from the great, already established R. Kelly. 2.5/5

15. Hatin' Love- More Filler. 3/5

16. Gotta Go (Reprise)- No Score

17. Gotta Make It [reprise]- a waste of time; this is just a very uninspired reprise that could've been left off of the album. Even with the addtion of Aretha, it is uninspired and unnecessary. 2/5

Overall, despite some minor flaws and filler material, Trey Songz is a cut above some of the other R&B debuts of 2005 and is worth buying or atleast listening to it. 3.5/5. Good Debut.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE NEXT BIG THING!!! HE GONNA MAKE IT!!!!, July 28, 2005
This review is from: I Gotta Make It (Audio CD)
I JUST PICKED UP THIS ALBUM AND I HAVEN'T SKIPPED A TRACK YET. I'M ON THE LAST TRACK. THIS DUDE SINGS WITH THE SOUL THE R&B GAME IS REALLY MISSING. HIS STYLE IS SIMILAR TO R. KELLY BUT HE'S NOT QUITE THERE YET. BUT BELIEVE ME HE WILL BE!!! TREY SONGZ- I GOTTA MAKE IT IS A MUST MUST GOTTA GOTTA HAVE. OH, I NEED TO WRITE A REVIEW LETS MAKE IT EASY TRACKS 1-16 HOTTT FIRE!!! AND HE GOT ARETHA ON IT WHAT ELSE CAN I SAY? JUST GET THIS DANG CD.

I Gotta Make It
I Gotta Make It by Trey Songz (Audio CD - 2005)