Gourmandises
Format: MP3 MusicChange
Price:$9.49

on February 12, 2001
Format: Audio CD
I have to update my original review (Feb 11th 2001) because so much has happened..
In early 2001, I heard a lot of people saying Alizée is "France's answer to Britney Spears". A cliché statement, perhaps, but 2001 has been a banner year for Alizée. Not only has she triumphed over the French charts, but the German, Dutch, Russian and Japanese ones too.
2002 looks to be even better for the pretty French 'chanteuse', with Alizée attacking the UK charts in February, and possibly the US after that. This album may be a year old, but it's as impressive as ever.
Being able to appreciate, or understand, French isn't a prerequisite for this album. Even if you've been studying French for a while, you'll find many of the lyrics rather cryptical. You'll enjoy a lot of wordplay and puns, especially in 'Moi Lolita'. Some English even creeps into the album on tracks such as 'J.B.G.' (James Bond Girl).
As with many French albums, there are a few incidents where the lyrics are too direct and blunt. 'Je sais que cette hymen durera longtemps' (I know that this hymen will last a long time), for example.
When you first put this CD on, you might be surprised by how deep her voice is. Don't worry, Alizée is simply demonstrating her impressive vocal range, and she leaps between sultry lows and dizzy highs throughout the album.
Unlike many pop albums, this album has a very interesting sound overall. Some songs are dark, some are very much 'pop', yet all have the 'traditional' broody creepy French mood in them. Yes, this is a pop album full of minor chords..
Alizée's promotional site... is one of the best musical promotion sites I've ever seen. It has ALL of her music videos for you to download, and you can even listen to samples of every track. The album comes with all the lyrics in the CD insert so you can also have lots of fun honing your French pronounciation skills.
So, in 2002 as in 2000 and 2001.. still an excellent effort all round! Alizée, and this CD, is an excellent package most people are sure to enjoy.
on July 3, 2001
Format: Audio CD
I hope there not too many mistakes in my review but I think you'll understand when I'm writing here.
This CD is really great. If you know Alizée and you love her music, you have to buy this album.
The first track on her CD is her famous single "Moi... Lolita". I think everybody knows this song, so I will tell some more about the other tracks. The second track "Lui ou Toi" is a very slow song with piano on the background, you really feal this song getting better each time you hear it. It has also a good structure. It's a real Alizée-song. The third song you may know also. It's "L'Alizé", her second single. A very good song also. Then you have "JBG" (James Bond Girl), almost a real James Bond-theme and you hear the tune of James Bond on the background. It sounds very good. The next song "Mon Maquis" is a very rare song, it's a completely different style. It sounds almost medieval. "Parler Tout Bas" is the third single of Alizée. It's another great song. "Veni Vidi Vici" is again a normal Alizée song. Especially the refrain is very good. "Abracadabra" sounds a little mysterious, on the background you hear a cat. "Gourmandises" is the also the title of the 9th song. It sounds a little housy. You have a beat on the background. It's not that good as the other songs. The last song is "À quoi rêve une jeune fille?" which is one of the best songs on the album.
All the texts are written by Mylene Farmer and the music was composed by Laurent Boutonnat who is also the producer.
I would say, if you really like Moi ... Lolita, and you also like another song of Alizée (L'Alizée or Parler Tous Bas) then you really have to buy this album.
I recommend this CD to everyone!
on August 14, 2001
Format: Audio CD
I first heard Alizee while studying abroad at the Sorbonne in Paris France (summer 2000). While listening to French radio, I immediately fell in love with "Moi...Lolita" and for the entire summer, the lyrics and beat of the song were constantly in my mind. It was definitely the hit of the summer, making Alizee an international superstar! Upon my return to the US, a few months later, Alizee's first album Gourmandises was finally release and I ordered it without hesitation. The rest of the album proves that Alizee is more than just a pop icon. With each song, you can definitely sense the deep passion in her voice. I listen to the album practically everyday. I don't think I will ever outgrow Alizee. My absolute favorites from the album are "Moi, Lolita," "Lui ou Toi," "L'Alize," "JBG," "Mon Maquis," Veni Vedi Vici," and "Gourmandise." I am anticipating the follow up to Gourmandises. Hope you enjoy it too.
on January 1, 2004
Format: Audio CD
The first Alizée's album was a really success. "Gourmandises" is the best pop album I've ever listen to, and it launched Alizée to the first class music world. The outstanding hit "Moi... Lolita" is a master class of how making pop songs, perhaps her best hit up to now, also its video is something to talk about. "Gourmandises" is an awesome song, which also manes the album.
"Parler Tout Bas" the soft touch in this album, the contrast for the groovin', specially for her kind voice that fix naturally with the music. "A Quoi Reve Une Jeune Fille", the Parler Tour Bas partner, giving the perfect balance in this album. "L'Alize" is a nice song, helped with an original video. The others songs are also good, being the best complement for the described hits.
Alizée is hugely better than any other American pop star, singing in French, she stole our hearts not only for her beauty but her wonderful voice too. She doesn't need to sing in English as she did with "I'm fed Up" & "I'm Not Twenty" (both of them in her 2nd album "Mes Courant Electriques"). Those versions of "J'en Ai Marre" & "J'Ai Pas Vingt Ans" are not as good as the original ones, sang in French.
on January 20, 2001
Format: Audio CD
Alizée is only 16 years old and already a star in her native France. Her debut single "Moi...Lolita" (Me... Lolita) sold more than one million copies, which is huge for a country as France (around 60 millions people overall).
Alizée's career started thanks to the TV show « Graine de Star » (Starseed - a kind of « they will be famous » show), when producer Laurent Boutonnat saw her singing and decided to make her pass an audition. Boutonnat is nothing less than Mylène Farmer's mentor, one of the most popular and venerated French artist. Together with Mylène, they wrote the first title for this young girl coming from the Island of Corsica. And the rest is history...
The video for her first release has been hardly criticised because it portraits beautiful Alizée walking through fields with a young man trying to stop her to talk. When he reaches her, he says "I love you. Do you love me?". She looks at him with a thin smile and "Do you have 50 francs?" she answers. Wow. Quite provocative for a debut.
Her second single, "L'alizé" (The trade-wind), also hit the top of the charts, so that the logical following step was achieving a whole album. And here you have "Gourmandises" (Greeds), an evocative title that says it all about ambitious Alizée.
Even though her first two singles are outstanding, the disc is not a masterpiece. It's a good debut album, pop and danceable, but we were expecting something more from the team Boutonnat/Farmer (who wrote all the tracks). Arrangements are electronic, simple, sometimes poor ("Veni Vidi Vici"), copying all the patterns that made Mylène famous. Some people call Alizée "Mini-Mylène", but this girl knows how to play about it, and she anticipates critics in the lyrics of "Moi... Lolita", when she sings "je suis mi-cotton, mi-laine" that is "I'm half-cotton and half-wool" (but in French, playing with words, it sounds like "I'm Mylène").
Best songs are "L'alizé" (probably best French song of the year), "Moi... Lolita", "Gourmandises" and "Parler tout bas" (Speaking low), the latter possibly being her new single. Remaining tracks are plan pop, with no honours, expect for "Mon Maquis" (My shelter) and "Lui ou toi" (He or you), which have very interesting lyrics.
A must for Mylène's fans and for people waiting for a real talented teen queen. Here comes Princess Alizée.
on February 3, 2007
Format: Audio CD
about 2 weeks ago I accidently stumbled across a link called France 's "britney Spears so being curious I clicked it and Alizee came up .......I havent been the same since After watching her videos Ive been totally mesmerized by her entire package...The unbelievable voice ...singing styles ...music...extremely graceful movements dancing....personality...persona... incredible stage presence ..warmth... spirit .. that she was unknown to me and still most americans all I could say it is our loss...also another thing shes is extremely beautiful...get the cd you wont regret it also when you done with this cd get all her other cd and dvd there just as great oh by the way I dont speak a word of french but it hardly matters the spirit that comes thru her works transends language ....age ...sex...religion...nationality...
on July 6, 2002
Format: Audio CD
Ok I want to say a few things ahead of time. I am from the US and don't understand a single word of French. I haven't been oversees and don't know much about the music there either. I do know one thing... after hearing Alizee for the first time a month or so ago, I have been hooked even if I can't understand the lyrics. It is the way she sings it that leaves you in a trance.
I love the songs on this album. From Moi Lolita to Gourmandises, it bleeds top notch with my personal favorite being Veni Vedi Vici. I would also like to point that Alizee isn't aiming to be the next Britney Spears because she is in a league of her own. Own the CD. You will not be dissapointed! :)
Oh and one other thing: she's extremly pretty :)
on August 13, 2005
Format: Audio CD
I was rather sceptical about buying CDs from Alizee after hearing a few of her songs. To my delight, I am more than happy that I did. With her music, I have found that it is more unique then the dried up constant pop-crap that American Pop is putting out these days. With an innocense of child like thinking, delivered profoundly through her smooth vocals and strong melodies, this album puts her style in a catagory unto herself.
on July 8, 2005
Format: Audio CD
I have this album, and im going to buy a second copy just for the heck of it and save it. I started taking up French around the same time I came across this album, ill tell you that for some reason this gorgeous girl really motivated me to learn more. The music never gets old, even if you are not a fan of pop, ill tell you that this music is beyond what pop is.
on November 27, 2002
Format: Audio CD
I first discovered ALIZEE by accident, through a music web site in France. After doing some reading, I discovered she was somewhat of a European phenomenon. Well, that was an understatement!
After going to her website I downloaded her videos and just sat at my computer, completly dumbfounded and mesmerized. Being in music related business for almost 17 years, I found it hard to believe that I could be so profoundly moved in this day and age by any one artist. I sat with my mouth open in disbelief how unbelivable she is. I also found it very strange that someome so moving, talanted and undoubtably popular, can be an unknown in this country (USA). I can honastly say, I have not been move moved by any artist(s) since the appearance of THE BEATLES on Ed Sullivan in 1964!
Alizee is so intoxicating and refreshing in so many ways she leaves you in a complete trance, speachles & breathless, wanting more and more. A very addicting voice, charm, charisma and body moves that are almost borderine risque for a young woman of her age. However, she presents herself as a perfect lady.
Every song on this CD is a bullet and has a sound of it's own.
From MOI LOLITA to L'Alizé it is a perfect 10.
Mentors Mylenne Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat definately knew what they were doing when they molded her into what she is now, bringing out her very best. What they did not know, is they had found one huge gem; one that only comes around in a billion years or so.
Alizee has the whole package, but more importantly it is her very spirit and personality that will forever warm you.
This whole CD is all sung in French, but don't let that stop you from buying it, as with Alizee, there is no language barrier.
The only drawback is if you feel only half as strong as I did, then you may go broke wanting to buy everything she has for sale!
You then may want to save up for a trip to her next European tour! GET THIS CD. YOU WON'T BE THE SAME.