5.0 out of 5 stars For results, Follow the instructions!
I've seen too many reviews of many products where a) the product was used incorrectly, or b) the user had expectations far beyond the advertised features.

Published on December 6, 2012 by billski

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT so hot!!
Published on February 8, 2011 by spiderlegs

5.0 out of 5 stars For results, Follow the instructions!, December 6, 2012
This review is from: Grabber 7+ Hour Hand Warmers (Health and Beauty)

I've used hand warmers for 10 years,skiing in VT, NH and ME. I'm a storm and powder chaser, so I'm always out during some of the worst, coldest weather, typically for 6-7 hours, with maybe a total of 1 hour for breaks.

They consistently work for me. Why?

- I take them out WELL IN ADVANCE of usage. give them 15-20 mins minimum. They need ambient air to activate. Once they are in your shoes or gloves, they can't activate any further.

- Check the expiration date on each package. My experience tells me if they have been sitting around in a store for a while, send them back if you don't have at least 2 years ahead stamped. They only started putting date stamps on them in the last three years, so anything older than that is not stamped, for the most part.

- you can always check how effective they are going to be by taking one pair still in the wrapper and bending it. If it bends easily you're good to go. If it is really "stiff" when you bend it (feels like a solid mass), don't use it.

- I get about 2 years of shelf life, regardless of the claim. I used the "stiff test" (see above.)

- It doesn't seem to matter where they are stored. I've had them in the 40 degree garage, and in the heated house, with no difference in longevity.

Don't cry foul until you've played fair.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT so hot!!, February 8, 2011
This review is from: Grabber 7+ Hour Hand Warmers (Health and Beauty)
I had wanted to review the 10-hour warmers, but all I see listed here is the 7-hour. As I've used the 7-hour versions of this product, all my comments will apply to both. We live and work in a major ski resort--spending LOTS of time out on the mountain skiing all the time in all kinds of weather. I (we) have used this product in its various formats for many years. And, unfortunately, the product continues a very obvious decline over the years. It used to be that the 7-hour versions gave you lots of heat for a good amount of the ski day. Then they got so poor in performance that I moved on to the 10-hour versions in the hopes that they would be better. They were--for a while. Then they too declined to the point of useless with recent purchases. The most recent box of 40 units that I purchased directly from the manufacturer were similarly useless. Not only do they not last for 10 hours (which they never did!), but they put out heat that is barely higher than room temperature. I am awaiting their return shipping label that they said they are e-mailing to me. The claims that Grabber makes for these products are so over-the-top inflated it's not funny. Their claims are bordering on fraud, in my book. The hours of functional use are way overblown and the heating capacity is pretty much a joke. On their website they claim how these units are tested at the manufacturing plant, again in a laboratory environment and then at Grabber itself. Well I can vouch for the fact that they DON'T work very well out in the field. Perhaps that's the place they really should test them. I've just ordered a quantity of Hot Hands and perhaps they are the exact same product for all I know, but at least they are considerably cheaper. If they are better (I certainly hope so) they will continue to get my business. If not, those will get returned too. I'd sure like to find a consistent product. These are far from that.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT HOT!!!, January 18, 2013
R. Jensen (Northwest USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grabber 7+ Hour Hand Warmers (Health and Beauty)
I just got off the phone with Grabber (1/18/13). The Grabber hand and toe warmers I purchased to use during this ski season are not heating up. All the ones I purchased are made in China. The customer service rep. at Grabber with whom I spoke will be sending me replacements that are made in the U.S.A. I hope they live up to what I've come to expect during previous ski seasons. As it stands right now, they're totally worthless, unless I'm inside the lodge in a warm environment, then they eventually heat up to something a little warmer than tepid. Do not buy these if they're made in China. I hope the ones made in the USA work.

1.0 out of 5 stars They did NOT work like they should, November 10, 2011
This review is from: Grabber 7+ Hour Hand Warmers (Health and Beauty)
I've used this product before, and was satisfied enough to buy the full box available here at Amazon.

Unfortunately, none of the packets I've used work adequately at all. In the past, you'd open the packet and within minutes you would have strong heat which lasted a long time. Now, they generate hardly any heat at all. I am very disappointed and will send them back. I don't know if it's a quality control issue, but if this is what they are now like (as of Nov 2011)...I'll never buy them again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible! Will never use again., April 7, 2012
This review is from: Grabber 7+ Hour Hand Warmers (Health and Beauty)
Even though the "best used by" date is not for 2.5 years from now, and these packets were not opened or damaged, they did NOT work.

Hoping to 'save the day' at today's little league softball game going at a chilly 38 degrees, I bought two 10-packs pack and brought along 5 packets (10 warmers). As people started to complain about being cold, I brought them out and passed them out, happy to be helping.

To my surprise, I found them discarded within a few minutes. One little girl had 5 warmers in her hands as she huddled under her team sweatshirt. She said she hoped by having more of them, they would get 5x as hot.

NONE of them got warmer than about 50 degrees. I was noticeable since it was more then 10 degrees warmer than the air, but nowhere near useful. My paper coffee cup got more attention than these useless things.

All the remaining packets are going straight into the trash, and I will never buy this brand again. Never. Other reviews on other sites show the same as Amazon - 75% say they work great, but the rest say they don't work at all; and the manufacturer basically says the customer is lying and they don't have bad batches. I call BS.

Do yourself a favor if you DO buy this product. Test out a few before you leave the house. Maybe you will get lucky and get some that work, but don't depend on them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept My Hands Toasty, December 12, 2010
J. Dupont (Hendersonville, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grabber 7+ Hour Hand Warmers (Health and Beauty)
This is a great product for winter hiking below 30 degrees and also for golfing on chilly mornings. They last for several hours...probably 5-6. I just discovered them and don't know how I managed without them. I keep them in my pocket on the golf course and between my glove liners and outer mittens for hikes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy if they were made in China, January 25, 2013
This review is from: Grabber 7+ Hour Hand Warmers (Health and Beauty)
I bought these last year and they were great- never too hot and lasted a long time. Also, just the right size for your pocket or glove. I bought some more this year at Dicks and they didn't heat up at all. The difference? The ones that work were made in Japan. The new ones are made in China. If you can find the Japanese made ones, buy with confidence. The chinese ones are a waste of money. After all, this is the country that poisoned their baby formula and pet food. I don't think they have much in the way of manufacturing standards.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, January 11, 2013
This review is from: Grabber 7+ Hour Hand Warmers (Health and Beauty)
I followed the directions on the label. I also tried a few suggestions I read on the reviews here, which is to open them up and expose them to air at least 10-20 minutes before you need them. All I can tell you is that my hands were freezing during a powder day on the mountain. To the touch, the products warms up to what I would call "luke warm" or room temperature (70 degrees or so.) When its 10-20 degrees out on the mountain and your hands are freezing over, you need a little more heat than that. I went through 5 packs and the results were the same. I've used other hand warmers before that worked really well, which is why I decided I needed a box of 40. I should have stuck to the other brand, but based on the reviews from other customers, I figured this brand would work just as well. It did not.

1.0 out of 5 stars You're getting colder, January 17, 2011
This review is from: Grabber 7+ Hour Hand Warmers (Health and Beauty)
More than half of these warmers either put out minimal heat or none at all--not a good thing when you're out on the trails before you know which it will be. Slow warm-up-->surprise more often than not--and VERY cold extremities. I didn't realize the number of duds in time to return them. Hand warmers show the same unpredictability.

1.0 out of 5 stars Barely warm while others do not het at all, December 14, 2012
This review is from: Grabber 7+ Hour Hand Warmers (Health and Beauty)
Bought these 40 pairs in box made in China. Some of them do not heat while others produce a little heat for up to 2 hours. Threw them away and bougth them from local Prinston Sports store (made in Japan). The Japan version does really heats up.

Grabber 7+ Hour Hand Warmers - 40 Pair Box