4.0 out of 5 stars More like a tarp than a blanket
This "blanket" is a generous size... easily able to accommodate four people comfortably. I didn't realize from the description that it didn't have a soft side... just the plastic side and the silver side, but it works. Word of warning... don't sit on the silver side if the sun is out unless you are wearing sunscreen!
Published on April 14, 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars This item probably works fine as a blanket as pictured on the box
This item probably works fine as a blanket as pictured on the box, but we used it as an extra cover/blanket over our sleeping bags. When we woke the next morning we discovered the blanket had trapped the moisture from our warm bodies. Not only was the inside of the blanket wet, but so were our sleeping bags! Obviously the blanket trapped the heat from our bodies, but I...
Published 1 month ago by amy

4.0 out of 5 stars More like a tarp than a blanket, April 14, 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars The "Heavy Duty" version of the "Space Blanket", March 15, 2013
This review is from: Grabber Outdoors Original Space Brand All Weather Blanket: Orange, 5 ft x 7 ft, Box (Health and Beauty)
Yo...so everyone has probably seen those little pocket sized "Space Blankets"...Well this is NOT one of those. Rather this it is a (relatively) heavy-duty "Tarp-like" version (hemmed outer edges, grommets, etc) that is -much- more durable than those little aluminum foil like "blankets". As a result it is somewhat more bulky (the package is about the size of a cigar box)...but still not so large that you can't find room for it in the trunk of your car, in an emergency kit or in the bottom of your backpack. Over the years, I've taken similar products on camping trips to Alaska and Canada and have found use for them several times. When I lived in Minnesota I -always- had two or three of these tucked away under the seat of the car. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, December 11, 2010
i purchased this product because i sleep in a VERY cold bedroom that has no insulation or heat register (& costs a mint to heat) i put this blanket on top of my down comforter & felt the difference in a matter of minutes, it does what it says it does! reflects body heat & is of excellent quality..this product is much nicer than an old silver space blanket i was using..this makes sleeping in 48 degrees very comfortable though once it gets above 20 degrees outside it does get a bit too warm..great product & price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Emergency Blanket/Tarp, February 18, 2012
The blanket is made of laminated plastic, aluminum and fabric. It has woven nylon tape sewn around the perimeter and a brass gromet at each corner. The dimensions (5 by 7 feet) and weight (12oz) are accurate. I was able to fold the blanket to fit in a gallon-sized ziplock bag with space to spare.

I bought this to keep in a car for emergencies (72-hour bag). It is suitable for use as shelter or a blanket, and I believe it will stand up to weeks of use. I am 100% satisfied with this purchase.

Labeled as Made in USA.

5.0 out of 5 stars a sturdy addition, February 7, 2012
I have been using tarp spaceblankets like this for over a decade. I don't know if the one I had for years and lost was the same brand but I can see no difference. There are allot of uses for this item. Its a bit small for your only tarp and a bit bulky as your only space blanket but its multitude of uses tips the scale on me bringing it along. I have used it as. A blanket, a shelter top, a shelter floor, a cooking area, a warm layer at the botom of the tent over and over, I have used it as a poncho, a small pavilion and there are a bunch of other potential uses that I haven't personaly tried but are quite self evedent. Mainly this item shines in shelter building. I have used two of these at once and I have owned five of them. A great item that has withstood the test of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Space Blanket for Car and Home Kit, May 23, 2012
I've been using this space blanket for years and always have one with me in my car, my home emergency kit, and my day hike backpack. Below are some points of review based on my experience:

Versatility - I enjoy using this blanket for many uses. While it is primarily living in my kits for emergency purposes, I most often use it for impromptu picnics and as a sun and wind shelter while camping and at the beach. Unlike thin, mylar blankets, this is sturdy enough to use with regularity. It is also large enough to use for a nice-sized picnic blanket, picnic tablecloth, wind or rain shelter (as a matter of either convenience or emergency), or as light camping shelter in lieu of a tent. It has useful and strong grommets at the corners. At 5 X 7 feet, it is a perfect size for most uses.

Durability - I have found that this holds up well to repeated use and mine have lasted many years. While I have found that it is relatively resistant to tears, it will puncture if placed on dry, sharp sticks.

Visibility - I prefer the red color, as it is highly visible and will work well as a signaling device if I need to use it as such if stranded somewhere.

Weight - The size and durability that make this blanket so versatile also adds weight and bulk. While it is much larger than paper-thin emergency blankets, I still keep one in my day hike backpack any time I go out, due to its usefulness. When considering this for your car or home emergency kit, the size and weight won't be a consideration.

Emergency Preparedness - This blanket will keep you warm and dry in the rain and/or wind, and won't tear or shred like lighter emergency blankets. It has a shiny side that will radiate heat back to you. I can highly recommend this blanket for the trunk of your car or in your truck's kit.

Quality and Value - Given the durability and usefulness of this blanket, I consider it an excellent value. The workmanship is good and it's made in the USA. For usefulness, versatility, and as an emergency preparedness item, the value is huge.

If you go camping, have a picnic, hike, or are a prudent disaster preparedness planner, this blanket belongs in your kit. I've got one in each of my vehicles, my home kit, and my day hike backpack, and have been using them for years. Easy to recommend this item at five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great on my camper ends., February 21, 2012
Barb J Briggs (WEBSTER CITY, IA, US) - See all my reviews
I used my Grabber Outdoor Original Space Brand All Weather Blanket to cover the ends of our pop-up to keep the sun and heat out. Also, keeps the sleeping area darker. Strong and durable.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was my shelter for 6 nights..., March 20, 2013
I used it as my lean-to shelter for 6 nights and it held up very well. It's plenty thick enough to handle that load and with the reflective side doubling the output of my nightly fires... I was very impressed. I need some more use before I can give it a 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Help protect the homeless, December 18, 2013
These have been literally life savers for the homeless and their animals on the streets. With the cold winter, many people on the streets can not stay warm. This helps protect them against some of the harsh conditions. I have purchased multiple blankets to hand out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to, November 5, 2009
I've used these for years--not very often, but when I do they're great. For camping when it's cold, put one of these <em>under</em> you and it makes a huge and comfortable difference. (Over you would only be for emergencies, which I haven't had yet--it doesn't breathe and so will be impossibly sweaty.) I assume it would work well for sitting on cold ground or seat too.