Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on May 12, 2012
I am writing this for the battery pack as used on the Mondo GDI-IRC6000
In one word... EXCELLENT. It fulfills the stated specs perfectly.
I got a full 12 hours after an 8 hour charge.
Only one beef is the lack of a user manual. I am taking the
liberty of using a remark made by the manufacturer as to how to get
more life from the battery pack. I would also like to make one
statement that has not been made.

What to do if you take the radio on a trip and want to arrive with a
fully charged battery? If you just unplug it, the clock starts ticking.
IF you have an RV and want to create a hot spot, and listen all the way,
just unplug it and go for it. If, however, it is packed and you want
to arrive with a full charge at your cabin etc, follow the mfg directions
below.

Also... there is one caveat to getting the extra battery life. If you do not
have it plugged in, the battery will start discharging immediately. Also,
if you choose to remedy this by turning off the wi-fi, the radio will take a
short time to reload and connect vs instant on. This is more than enough
reason to leave it plugged in all the time.

How I personally use it... I have a home office and leave it plugged in all day.
At 11pm I unplug and move to the bedroom. It plays for 60 min unless I get
a good Coast To Coast show and it plays for several hours. It then automatically
cuts on in the morning. This costs me about 1 bar of power. At this time I plug
in the radio to recharge.

Here are the directions from the manufacturer how to get extra life from the battery.
I have the latest version of the software and here are the exact keys to press to
get to the appropriate screen.

First note that if you pause more than 4 seconds, the screen goes back to the playing menu.
This is no big deal as it remembers the key press sequences.

1) Home ... press the home key with the little house on it. This takes you to all the pictures.
2) Turn the round knob on the bottom clockwise till you get to the "Settings" icon.
3) Press the knob to select "Settings".
4) Select "Wi-Fi and Network Setup"
5) Select "Wireless standby power mode"
6) Answer the question.. "Stay connected to Wireless in Standby"
7) Select "No" by rotating knob and then PRESSING the know to select "NO".

Also remember to set your 3 display options to as low a power as you can live with.....

Then next time you start the radio, you will have a 30-45 second delay with the following messages"
1) Initializing Network
2) Network disconnected, please connect...
After a short time it will reload the last station that you were listening to.

======================================
THIS IS NOTE FROM THE MANUFACTURER I CLIPPED FROM ANOTHER POST.

Hello, the battery will play for up to 12 hours. You are correct that keeping the radio unplugged indefinitely it will only last 12 hours in standby unless you change the settings. If you want to keep it unplugged from the wall you should change two settings:
1) back light: turn your standby back light 'off'.
2) turn the network card off. Go to network settings, select wireless standby and turn it off.
Those two settings will maximize battery life when the radio is not in use.

Additionally, while using a battery, the backlight setting should be minimized to maximize battery life.

However, as you note the radio is designed to be plugged into the wall when not in use to charge the battery. Then when fully charged it will provide portable use for up to 12 hours ( twice the average of the competitor).
on May 11, 2015
I purchased the Grace Digital Mondo radio from Amazon. A great product. Later I purchased this battery directly from Grace. Initially, I thought that the battery was also a great product--there was very long battery life and the option to listen to the radio outdoors in the warmer months. However, radio owners should know that the battery fails quickly if the radio is not used frequently in battery mode. That is, if the radio is operated solely on electric power for months at a time the battery will overcharge and die. My battery lasted only about 15 months. An expensive experiment. This is a known problem but there is no warning for consumers either at the time of purchase or as the battery is being overcharged. Grace customer service responded to me: "If it [the battery] is continuously being charged and not drained it will cause the battery to quite [writer intended: "quit"] working properly which seems to be the case. If you are leaving the battery in ALWAYS no matter the time of year and it is always be[ing] charged but never drained it will cause it to fail."
on February 5, 2013
This product is as good as advertised and easy to use. If I had an objection it would go to Grace(the radio's builder) because what these are is AA NiMH or Lithium batteries soldered together in series to get 12v and a couple of taps out at in-between voltages. The connected batteries are then held together by heat shrink plastic. The fact is, when this pack wears out (long time from now), I will probably make my own replacement(not for everybody to do). Anyway Grace could have made this radio so that you could buy off the shelf rechargeable AA batteries and inserted those into a built-in AA holder which would be less expensive. Other Grace models do that very thing. A Costco member could get all the AA rechargeable needed for half the price. I suspect Grace didn't go this route to irritate us, more likely, it's about how space inside the radio's cabinet would be allocated, and likely as not having a bass-port to improve sound dictated some of the space concessions made. Still, manufacturers would do us all better if they would use batteries we can replace at Walgreen's or Wal-Mart, etc. and that's not just for radios, it's for cameras, shavers, etc. As long as we buy devices that are manufactured to need weird battery combinations it is good that we have solid manufacturers an sellers like this one to rely on. Having the right battery is important, look at the trouble Boeing is in because of their design involving lithium batteries.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 30, 2012
I purchased this battery so that I would be able to use my Grace Mondo radio from various locations inside and outside my house. It is on the expensive side, but since it works so well and truly makes the Mondo a portable device, it's worth it to me. I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 for two reasons. First, as mentioned, it's a costly accessory that I think should be sold for less. Second, because there are no instructions on how to install the battery. While it's easy to figure out how to plug in the different colored wires, an instruction guide on where to place the adhesive backed rubber thing that comes with it, would have helped a great deal. I assumed that the rubber thing is included, so that the battery doesn't move around when you pick up the radio. As to where to put it, I had no idea. I placed it in various locations, with no success. Finally, I placed it right on top of the battery, which seems to hold the battery in place. I know this is a tiny, tiny issue, but one that can cause a lot of frustration when installing the battery.
on September 8, 2013
I received this battery four days ago along with a Grace Digital Mondo radio. I charged the battery overnight and through the next day, approximately 15 hours. It worked properly for about five hours and was dead. I tried recharging with the radio off and had no success. I removed and re-inserted the battery making sure the plug-in connection was correct and tried again to recharge. It was still dead. I placed a voltmeter across the orange and black wires on the plug and it has 0.0 volts. This must be an open circuit in the wiring of the battery pack. I am returning this unit and ordering another of the same. Other posters here have said this but I must warn that it IS NOT a Grade Digital product and comes in unmarked packaging with no charging directions. Hmmmm! There is also not mention of this optional battery in the Mondo handbook. Hmmm again and it is not available on the Grace website as far as I could see.

This is long so to sum up I am returning it to try again. I love the radio but the first experience with this product was a failure. I will update when the new one arrives.

September 29, 2013 Update.

I returned the original battery to Amazon and ordered a replacement. But instead of the third party vendor for 29.95 I selected the same item shipped and sold by Amazon.com which was $4.00 more. The new battery arrived in a marked GDI (Grace Digital Inc.) box and had the correct GDI part number. I installed the battery and the Mondo radio turned on and was playing before I even had time to turn it over. I made the suggested setup changes of turning off the network card when idle and turning the clock display brightness down to minimum on standby. I am getting excellent battery charge life at least 12-14 hours of constant use and the radio goes with me through out my weekend days at home. After the first failure and the second success I give this five stars.
on February 3, 2013
The Grace Radio seems to draw almost as much current in standby mode as it does in operation. As a result, the charge on the battery is limited to about a day regardless of how much you use it that day.
on October 21, 2013
I placed Apparently in quotes as part of my headline since I'm not sure if my Grace Mondo radio is at fault or the battery pack was simply DOA. Specifically, once the backup battery pack is plugged in the wifi radio's status screen is supposed to light an icon showing that the battery is on board. In my case I could never get the icon to illuminate. Twice I remade the connection, very carefully verifying that the tiny printed circuit board plug was properly engaging and fully seated on the circuit board pins. As well, I left the battery plugged in for several hours, but still no battery icon would show on the status screen.

The backup battery is a good idea, however I'm just reporting that beware that it comes with no instructions, it is difficult to plug into the circuit board due to its very tiny plug size and ultimately my radio icon would never illuminate.

At under 30 bucks there isn't too much at risk here, but don't consider this a slam dunk add-on. Fortunately, returns with Amazon are a breeze.
on March 1, 2015
I waited a couple of months to review this item to make sure there were no issues. There are none. The battery works great and gives hours of use when radio is not plugged in. This feature is very nice when you want to take the radio out in the backyard. I have not tested the upper limits of time use, but it has lasted at least four hours of continuous use. This battery is also very useful in the event that the power goes out. All of your station presets are saved.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on March 7, 2013
I purchased 4 radios and one battery. The battery allows me to use one of the radios in my bathrooms without a power cord.

To install the battery one should place the radio upside down on a table with the volume key and snooze button over the edge of the table.

Then use a battery operated screw driver to remove the battery cover from the bottom of the radio. Insert the battery with the wire near the opening. Press the wire into the radio receptor and place the plastic pad over the wire and receptor to hold it in. Then close the battery cover and screw it back in tightly.

The battery meter is very accurate after a month. After experimenting with the Standby display at two, one and zero and the WiFi kept on and off (using Settings) I came to the conclusion that one can keep the Standby Display at 2 and must keep Wi-Fi off when in Standby Mode. Then the battery lasts one full day (about 4 hours of actual use) in the bathroom with a charge required every night. I remove it from the bathroom when I take showers and then place it back.

If Wi-Fi is left on, then the battery meter can only reach about 70% after an overnight charge. If left off, the battery meter charges to 100% after an overnight charge. I found that it is best to turn off Wi-Fi when charging over night but to leave ON Wi-Fi when using it during the day. Thus, I reach a 100% charge overnight and get rapid access to the network when using it during the day. This was only for the first month

I found that after one month the battery works at full capacity and the battery meter is very accurate. I can leave Wi-Fi on all the time for rapid access to stations and leave the Standby light at level 2. With that I can use the radio about 4 hours per day with 2 hours still left of unused battery capacity. With the overnight charge and leaving Wi-Fi on I get to 100% for the battery to start the new day.

One does not need the battery for all one's Grace radios but one battery should be purchased for one for full portability.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Mitch,
Thank you for your very informative comments. Hopefully they will help someone who is interested in this battery for their Mondo Internet radio. We appreciate your taking the time to give comprehensive information.
Best regards,
Lynda @ Grace
on October 7, 2014
I purchased the optional battery to avoid having the radio go through the network reconnection process (about 20 seconds or so) whenever I unplug the radio to use it in another room. It's almost instant on as a result. I think the battery cost is a bit high at 30 bucks but the added portability helps a lot. Installing it required a bit of trimming of the foam spacer so it would fit properly within the radio. I get about six hours or so of listening out of a fully charged battery.