5.0 out of 5 stars Puts God in your kid's life seven days a week
Published on September 11, 2012 by J. Chambers

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really for kids
Published 4 months ago by Airforcewife

5.0 out of 5 stars Puts God in your kid's life seven days a week, September 11, 2012
My wife and I "discovered" Max Lucado and his writing several years ago. In my opinion, he's one of the few authors who can write equally well for all ages from toddler through adult about living a Christian life. According to the publisher, the devotionals in this book are geared for kids age six and up. As with a number of Lucado's books, the theme is God's grace, which he explains to kids thusly: Grace is God saying, "I know you've messed up, but I still love you anyway." Even young kids can relate to that.

The format for the devotionals in "Grace for the Moment: 365 Devotions for Kids" is a daily Bible verse, followed by a brief devotional and some "Growing in Grace" practical advice for applying the lesson of the devotional in a kid's own life. (This is similar to the format for the adult editions of "Grace for the Moment," with the addition of the practical advice.) By the way, there's no entry for February 29, so you'll need to recycle a devotional in leap years.

The devotionals are a marvelous way for kids to start their day. They're short - about 2-3 minutes to read and digest - but they're invaluable for setting the tone for the day and for imparting the message that God is a part of their life seven days a week, not just on Sunday. Max Lucado has proven that he can write for kids without "dumbing down" the content or style, and these devotionals are as inspirational in their own way as those in his adult books. The book indicates that it's "Adapted by Tama Fortner." All I know about Ms. Fortner is that she's a published author and a compiler of children's books.

I highly recommend "Grace for the Moment: 365 Devotions for Kids" for your own kids and for other kids in your family and circle of friends.

Note: I reviewed an advance reader copy of the book made available by the publisher through NetGalley.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Kids and Adults, April 13, 2013
This review is from: Grace for the Moment: 365 Devotions for Kids (Hardcover)
I was already a fan of Grace for a Moment. I have the morning and evening edition in one book in my bedroom I could not wait to read Grace for the Moment: 365 Devotions for Kids by Max Lucado. The book did not disappoint. You have devotionals for every day of the year. They are written in a way that makes sense to kids. The book stayed near our kitchen table where we spend most of our time. After a meal or anytime, I would read with my children today's devotional.

The devotion on January 3rd "Worry Doesn't Work" was especially relevant to my son. He tends to worry a lot about things that are not in his control. Lucado compared worries to a big thunderstorm which my kids are afraid of and cannot change. He says God can fix anything, but worrying does not change a thing. The kids are reminded that God "put his angels in charge of you". The Growing In Grace section suggested that you can imagine putting your worries in a box, say a prayer and hand it over to God. What a great visual and lesson on how to handle worry!

My son actually tried the suggestion from the Growing in Grace section from the January 4th devotional. It is titled "God Lives Here". Kids are encouraged to make room for Jesus. He explained it as if you were decorating a room. "Let Him live long enough in a heart, and that heart will begin to change." The suggestion in Growing in Grace was to decorate your room with God's Word. What did my son do after reading it? He put sticky notes around his room with Bible verses. At first I was upset because all I could see was that most of my sticky notes were gone, but then I realized he made a connection with what he read. That was more important.

I originally received this book from NetGalley in an eBook format. I liked it so much, I bought the hardcover book.

This book receives 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars love this!, October 2, 2012
here is an example I took comparing the day of January 18
"Sowing Seeds of Peace" adult version
"Planting Seeds of Kindness" kids

Plant goodness,
harvest the fruit of loyalty,
plow the new ground of knowledge.
Hosea 10:12

Growing in Grace kids "hands on"
Sow some flower seeds...as they grow, think about how they started from tiny seeds. What do you think will grow from a seed of kindness?

"Don't forget the principle.
Never underestimate the power of a seed." The Applause of Heaven

This is GREAT and practical for kids and parents alike. ☺

God knows exactly what I need. To be forgiven.
To receive grace and mercy in my time of need.
"in my time of need"...did you get that?!

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect devotional for kids....and the entire family!, August 15, 2013
This review is from: Grace for the Moment: 365 Devotions for Kids (Hardcover)
My kids and I LOVE this devotional! In fact, my kids make sure we do not miss a day and it is something they look forward to doing every night together. Because I bought the book during the course of the year and do not have my children with me every night, I started at the beginning of the book and are going through it day by day ignoring the dates on the pages. I really like how Max Lucado pairs a bible verse with real life situations looking at things from a child's perspective and making it something they can understand. It is beautifully written that it will even make an adult think. This book has also opened up some great conversations regarding faith, life and lessons learned between my children (ages 10 and 7) and myself that may not have otherwise happened. Do not hesitate to purchase this book, you will be glad that you did!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really for kids, October 14, 2014
This review is from: Grace for the Moment: 365 Devotions for Kids (Hardcover)
I'm going to go against the flow here, and say, I'm not a huge Max Lucado fan. I think he is very poetic with a lot of his writing, so I see the appeal of a lot of people, but if you look closely at his writing, I think he spends more time trying to be deep and poetic with even the most simple messages. Which is why this book is not for kids. Jesus loves us, He died for us. We were sinners but God makes it okay and you can live differently. Why make those messages any harder than they have to be for kids? Now, had the title not been for kids, I probably would have given it at least four stars because I do believe it is well written, but every time I try to read this to my kids, I can see their eyes glossing over, despite the short passages. Sometimes you just need to skip the deep, philosophical poetry and just tell people the truth that is plain and simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple theology, January 18, 2013
We've had several different devotionals for our kids but I felt like most of them were too shallow. However Max Lucado does a great job of presenting theological truth in a way that a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grader can understand!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, March 5, 2014
Audi & Maudi (Cedar Rapids, Iowa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grace for the Moment: 365 Devotions for Kids (Hardcover)
Our family loves this book! Each devo is one page long, so it takes only 5 minutes to incorporate a daily devo with the kids. It isn't too long for our 2 year old to sit through but it pinpoints a deeper spiritual topic very simply that our 6 year old enjoys. (I don't know how Lucado does that in only one page for 365 days, but he does! Quite the talent!) This book addresses grace in so many aspects, from how we are human and still make mistakes because we are human, but God loves us anyway, to giving scenarios of how we need to give grace to others that have wronged us, to striving to view the world through Christ's eyes and separating the sin from the sinner (Jesus still loves them no matter what!) There is also a "Growing in Grace" activity for each day, which we honestly don't always do, but it is a nice active, hands on way to also drive home the point of each devotional as well, as opposed to just reading about it. Max Lucado hit a home run with this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Max Lucado comes through again!, March 13, 2014
This review is from: Grace for the Moment: 365 Devotions for Kids (Hardcover)
I love Max Lucado...I have for a long time so my review may be slightly biased, but when I found this kid's devotional...I had to try it with my daughter (she's 4.) We read the verse at the top and then read the devotional part. The questions at the end don't really pertain to her yet so I usually just review what we read with her at the end and try to bring it all down to her level a bit more. But honestly, it's a great book to get your kids thinking through everyday issues where a little grace may be required.

5.0 out of 5 stars My #1 Favorite Family Devotional!!, January 20, 2015
This review is from: Grace for the Moment: 365 Devotions for Kids (Hardcover)
This devotional has exceeded my expectations, it simplifies without dumbing down and is actually helping me as an adult to realize some things that were harder for me to accept before, when just reading my own Bible. By that I mean, it is reminding me who I am in Christ and what's it's all truly about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, November 21, 2014
This review is from: Grace for the Moment: 365 Devotions for Kids (Hardcover)
Such a great devotional! My kids love it! My son, age 7, read it every night until he finished it, and now my daughter is enjoying it!

Grace for the Moment: 365 Devotions for Kids
Grace for the Moment: 365 Devotions for Kids by Tama Fortner (Hardcover - September 10, 2012)
$15.99 $13.26