Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Grace Potter & The Nocturnals
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 14, 2010
Grace Potter & The Nocturnals have crafted a truly thrilling album. The tracks that rock--"Paris (Ooh La La)," "Medicine," "Only Love," and "Hot Summer Night"--do it like an earthquake. Potter may be working a sparkly skirt but her musical heft is all muscle shirt, jeans and big nasty boots. Thus, proving that what you wear ain't the point. This is music that is genuine, tight and has just enough grit to make cries of "slick" confounding. The band maintains equal fire power on quieter numbers like "Colors" and the stunning "Things I Never Needed." Perhaps my favorite track is "One Short Night" which combines a sexy mixture of rock and soul in a way that gets me grooving no matter where I'm at when I hear it. This is an album that is good from start to finish because it is filled with songs that have both structure and passion. These tracks come to rock and conquer and they succeed on every level.
on December 19, 2010
If there is one thing I can't stand it is a purist music snob. Someone who is so stuck on their own wants and expectations they don't let the artist do what they want to do with their own lives/ careers. This is a great album. It has great songs with great lyrics and powerful vocals. I personally commend any artist who tries something different. Who gives a crap if the artist is going for mass appeal. You people wining about the "overproduction" are the same ones wining that there is nothing on the radio worth listening to. Forget you. This cd freaking rocks. The first track, Paris, is sexy as hell. Oasis has beautiful lyrics and a cool vibe. I say Kudos for trying a different direction. I love her early stuff and I love this CD just as much. Buy it. If you like power vocals with power guitar you'll love this.
66 comments|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 9, 2010
Been following GPN for a few years now and have heard many of these songs live time and time again. SO thankful that everyone who may not have heard of this amazing group of talent now has the opportunity to get an album that arguably the best of the year. The band combines strong guitar, voice, and lyrics to create a sound that is unmatchable and straight up awesome. If you are thinking about it, or even reading these reviews...think no more and purchase this album.
on February 5, 2011
Gawd knows I luv the Blues, but I really like her new album. I own everything this woman has done and she hasn't diappointed me yet. The raw power of her voice seems to shine in everything she does. I can't believe anyone that likes her and her band would be dissapointed in her new album. To me this woman doesn't write bad music. She keeps writing and cranking out quality music. As a singer and a writer she is way under exposed and way under rated. Luv her!
Grace Rocks!
VINE VOICEon August 4, 2011
Who says rock and roll is dead. When one listens to Grace Potter and the Nocturnals' self-titled album, it may appear one has stepped back into time when rock and roll really kicked with a hard edge that did not need an elaborate production except for a good brass section, backup vocals, and keyboards. But Potter and the Nocturnals stick to the basics, hard-edged vocals, guitar-drive, and a pounding backbeat that may be heard throughout the record. And indeed, the highlight of the album is the opening track "Paris (Ooh La La)" that is very reminiscent of the legendary guitar rock sounds of the 1970s with bands such as Heart, Thin Lizzy, Foghhat, Aerosmith, and a little of mellowness of Rickie Lee Jones and a hint of smoky vocals similar to Bonnie Tyler.

The unique aspect of listening to rock and roll music is that artists and bands that have crossed the threshold towards the rock and roll realm have also crossed boundaries and stepped out of the ordinary to produce unpredictable sounds that one may not have heard before. But if one has heard the sounds, especially on this record, it is quite an exhilarating experience to hear how different musical influences are emulated within the mix. Potter and the Nocturnals carry on the tradition with tracks "Oasis" Fleetwood Mac-like, very energetic "Medicine," the middle of the road "Goodbye Kiss" a nice pop tune with its subtle harmonica in the background,the ballad "Colors," and the other raunchy track "Hot Summer Night."

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals show that rock and roll is alive and well and that melodies and sounds of the past can still be produced in their own very special way.
on January 23, 2011
I fell in love with the pride of Vermont, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, years ago after seeing them open for Govt. Mule in Bozeman.
I was impressed, not only by the beaming smile, magnificent voice and boundless energy coming from this pint sized beauty, Grace Potter, but her prowess on the B3 Hammond organ. And there's nothing hotter than a woman who wields a Flying V and plays it like a pro.

Her backing band were pretty hot players too. And I fell in love with a woman who introduced her best song of the set, which she introduced as her "sex swing song."
So needless to say, I grabbed the two CDs of hers that were available, unfortunately the song wasn't on any of the CDs.

Nonetheless, I was impressed with the gritty organ powered blues of 2006's Something in the Water, but not so much with the more pop feel of the follow-up "This is Somewhere," so I had to scoop up her new self titled CD. And yes it has the "sex swing song" -- the sexy, bluesy groove of "Paris (Ooh La La)" she even played it on David Letterman back in December.

So that makes the CD immediately enjoyable.
Even better, it splits the difference between the gritty soulful blues of "Something In The Water," and the pop of "This Is Somewhere."
The new CD has plenty of Potter's pretty organ playing, which was missed on "This is Somewhere", a little funk, a touch of blues a little of the gospel featured on `Something In The Water," and is pretty much all awesome.
Her voice features elements of Tina Turner's soul, Gretchen Wilson's twang and Cyndi Lauper style '80s pop.
There are a lot of highlights on the CD. `Paris (Ooh la la) ' of course, and the R and B of `Hot Summer Night,' not only heats up chilly winter nights, but takes you back to the best of '60s soul as does `That Phone.'
`Money,' is definitely not Pink Floyd's `Money', it has its own funky groove and `Goodbye Kiss' even has a touch of reggae.
All in all, Grace Potter makes a long awaited return with a new CD that shows off her sexy, sultry, seductive and beautiful voice, her band's musical chops and covers several different genres. It's good to have her back.
-- by Richard Amery, L.A. Beat Editor
on September 13, 2010
Grace Potter & The Nocturnals self-titled third album has an interesting story behind it. The record was originially supposed to be produced by T-Bone Burnett. They had a few sessions, but Burnett had to pull out of the album at the last minute, due to his already busy schedule. In the past year alone, he produced Alison Krauss & Robert Plant ("Raising Sand"), Robert Randolph & The Family Band ("We Walk This Road"), Willie Nelson ("Country Music"), John Mellencamp ("No Better Than This"), the soundtrack to the film "Crazy Heart" and Ryan Bingham's recent effort "Junky Star". So Grace Potter recruited Mark Batson, who's best known for his work with India Arie, Nas, Anthony Hamilton and Dave Matthews Band.

The album starts off with the first single "Paris (Ooh La La)", a song that is catchy as it is infectious. She offers an inspiring message on the song "Oasis" and gets down and dirty on the recession-themed "Money". The break-up song "Goodbye Kiss" makes a good case for being on radio, with the slight hint of reggae attached to it. "Only Love" bears an obvious early 70's Motown influence, while "One Short Night" has her regretting having an affair. This album alternates between early blues rock and soul music, and even country- as evidenced in the song "Colors". As great as this album is, one can't help but notice how radio-friendly most of the songs are. But as outstanding as this band is, they deserve to be heard by the masses.
on July 22, 2011
Love the songs on this album. But as I listened to them on my stereo, my step daughter pointed out that the audio was fuzzy or noisey. And she was right. I messed with the sounds fields thinking my Marantz was doing it. But then I listened to the same mp3 files on my phone and I could clearly hear the noise and distortion on several of the songs. I can't be the only one who can hear the crackly distortion on this album. I'm curious if the CD sounds just as bad.
on February 8, 2011
I was introduced to Grace Potter and the Nocturnals by my friend who had seen them live. I was definitely not expecting to hear this woman's amazing voice belting out 70's janis joplin style tunes. Low Road, Paris (Ooh La La), and Tiny Light are my favorite songs from this album and I can't stop listening to them!
on February 24, 2011
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals is on a high-riding wave with their hit single "Paris-Oo La La". I have seen the video for the single. The band just performed here in town and got excellent reviews. Because the CD is priced so well from Amazon, I decided to purchase the album. I was not disappointed! Grace has a strong voice with a wide range. The band is tight, the songs are good, and the album is worth a listen!