Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

• Grace

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 11, 2001
I wanted to know all about the men in Grace Kelley's life, both before and after her marriage. This book told me everything, but in a classy, well-researched way. I learned a lot about Monaco, and just the things I would have wanted to know about her family members, too. After reading this excellent book, I plan to read more of Robert Lacey's works.
on August 4, 2003
I picked up "Grace" about a year ago when I found it in my mom's old book closet. Although I am relatively young, something about the stars of yesteryear attracts me more than the glitz surrounding contemporary celebrities. Grace Kelly is no exception. I knew nothing about this icon, except that she was an American princess and a Hitchcockian heroine. Mr. Lacey certainly did his share in informing me about this classic movie star. I enjoyed how he provides us with immense background on the Kelly's, a prominent family in their own right. Mr. Lacey also does a fine job in giving us the "low-down" on Monaco and its interesting history.
Also of note would be the fact that Lacey attempts (and succeeds) at presenting the seemingly ethereal Grace as a person, not the sex symbol or ice queen she is usually remembered as. He does give a lot of insight into her love life and various affairs, but you never lose sight that Grace had this innocence about her. It seemed as if she could do no wrong.
Aside from being a talented actress, Grace was a true beauty and a dedicated mother and wife. She will always be remembered as our very own princess.
on August 1, 2000
'Grace' tells the life story of Princess Grace of Monaco, formerly the movie star Grace Kelly. It seems Grace had some problems adjusting to royalty, including the fact that her mother-in-law, Princess Charlotte, despised her. But as years went by, it seems Grace and Rainier became closer. The fact that Rainier is still a widower and always poses for pictures in front of her portrait shows he will always love her!
on January 4, 2015
The author has a most enjoyable flow to his writing which made the completion of the reading of this book go by very fast. I was surprised to read of the promiscuity of Ms. Kelley but once understanding is gained regarding the awful controlling and highly manipulative parents she had, it becomes clearer as to how this impacted so much of her life. Besides being endowed with great beauty she was also blessed with a charming and truly graceful demeanor. In all things she was true to her name. Without doubt she died far too young. Grace was indeed a princess long before her marriage to Rainier. "She was after all, a Lady". And sadly, we'll likely never see another like her.
on July 3, 2012
This is the best biography on Grace Kelly out there, it's detailed and contains fact, researched by Lacey himself, not just a compilation of other author's opinions.
on March 15, 2013
Robert Lacey, Biographer extraordinaire has captured all the nuances in Grace Kelly's family, acting career and marriage to Prince Ranier in stunning detail. Lacey has captured "Grace" in all her glory, disappointments and tragic death. He is an outstanding researcher as well which adds to the credibility of his works.

His interviews with many people, are transcended into the pages of this biography of a truly loved and kind woman. The book was particularly interesting to me as I am a former Philadelphia, born and raised and already knew much of the Kelly Legacy. I recommend this to anyone interested in Biographies. Lacey;s insights into his subjects are legendary.
on August 21, 2015
Grace Kelly lead the life we all thought we wanted, she came from a wealthy Philadelphia family and went on to be a movie star and -- to marry Prince Charming. He was quite charming initially. This book is also why I went on to read Penny Marshall's "My Mother was Nuts" -- in a visit to Monaco Penny asked Princess Grace if she missed acting. The Princess answered, "What do you think I'm doing now?"
on August 4, 2005
Everyone remembers his first screen love.

Grace Kelly was mine, and I can still remember her clear Teutonic skin, lugubrious soft hair, her casual sophistication, all completely new fascinations to my mundane childhood. Years later, the only thing that's changed is I've grown older and she's still impossibly perfect.

What Robert Lacey has done in Grace is bring us all a little bit closer to that Snow Princess whom we all would have made our Princess were we a Prince. Behind the camera, behind bedroom doors, behind the veneer of an idyllic fairy tale that proves that fairy tales are exactly that, each anecdote is like a stitch in a grand painting that is sometimes bleak (Grace ages and somewhat pathetically begins to fool around with younger men), sometimes inspiring (her persistence at overcoming her natural dramatic flaws), and always sensual (her intimate fashion shows for her boyfriend Don Richardson).

Unlike many biographies of screen legends, Lacey largely eschews extended back lot stories that might involve but not support the basic image of Grace that he believes must be told. So while we learn High Noon's screenwriter Carl Foreman meant his film as an allegory about Communist witch hunts, we are spared a complete A-Z on the Hollywood Blacklist and its artistic implications. A great biography of a great person must not necessarily take on the great issues of his day. Of which Lacey understands.

Grace is a woman of terrific sexual energies and ambitions but just as importantly, sports a marvelous capacity to mask those penchants. So instead of becoming Jenna Jameson, she turns into Princess Grace, a woman who sleeps her way to the top but seems so inevitably suited for the position that no one can possibly begrudge her it.

As Lacey says "She managed to be naughty while appearing very nice."

It's become axiomatic that the greatest personalities are deeply contradictory. Nearly every biographer, when faced with the compelling weight of his research, is forced to concede that mankind is a very complex being (thank you, Mr. Stevenson). And Grace was no different. Lacey talks of Grace's growing conservatism, her disputes with her daughters over their flagrant ways, all while engaging in her own illicit love affairs as Princess Grace. And what of her devoted Catholicism? How to resolve her piety with her philandering?

Questions which can only be answered by Hitchcock's own. This is a snow covered volcano we're dealing with here.

And sometimes, you can't guess; you can only watch.
44 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2014
An excellent book detailing the life of Grace Kelly, especially detailing her romances throughout her life and career prior to marrying Prince Rainier of Monaco. I do recommend for fans of her. My local library tells me this book this author published another Grace Kelly book in 2014 however I'm told it's basically the same book as this one.
An great read for someone who wants to delve deeper into the life of Grace Kelly from her beginnings to her marriage to Prince Rainier of Monaco. Makes you love the woman more for becoming an icon of elegance and poise despite all the struggles she went through in her marriage