4.0 out of 5 stars Rocky start but I like it
Let me first say I am happy with this car seat now, but it was a rocky start. Once I had the right information and a little help it was smooth sailing.

Published on June 16, 2012 by tammalama

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice, but watch out for safety issues
We purchased the Graco ComfortSport at Target in Sept of 2010 as an emergency replacement for our previous carseat after an accident. (We actually got the Creighton model.) I have 3 major concerns about the safety of this seat:

Published on March 15, 2012 by E. Larson

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice, but watch out for safety issues, March 15, 2012
This review is from: Graco ComfortSport Convertible Car Seat, Jette (Baby Product)

1) The shoulder straps do not tighten evenly. After looking at the back of the seat I realized this is due to the design of the set yoke; most seats have two individual hooks for the shoulder belts, tightened by a single pull strap. The ComfortSport overlaps the two shoulder straps under a single hook and one strap will always be a little looser than the other. This also crates the potential for the overlapping strap to slip out of the hook, as it is barely held in place by the hook.

2) The chest plate is easy to unbuckle, even for young children. I looked up advice on how to solve this issue on Graco's website- apparently many parents were having the same issues and Graco's response was that parents should just explain to their children why they need to keep the belt on. After pulling over 10+ times on a two-hour trip because my 2 year old didn't understand my explaining on why this belt was intended to keep him safe, I settled on buying self-adhesive Ace wrap to wrap around the buckle so he couldn't mess with it.

3) The tightening plate on our model broke after only 11 months of use. I was tightening the strap, as usuall, and the single screw the holds the plate in place pulled out and flew somewhere in the car. If this had happened during an accident, the shoulder straps would have been loosened about 2 inches and greatly reduced the protection of the seat.

I had contaceted Graco regauding my concerns about the seat, and asking for a refund. They sent me a letter stating that if I had problems with their product, I should ship it to them at MY expense and they would replace the seat with another one of the same model- no refund. Needless to say I just went out and bought a different, better rated seat for my son.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rocky start but I like it, June 16, 2012

To start, one of my annoyances in reading these reviews for car seats is that people love to tell how much their 6 month old loves the color but fail to give vital information like what kind of car they are installing it in... with that said, I have a 2006 Mazda6. I also have very long legs which requires me to have my driver seat as far back as it will go and this made it difficult to find a car seat that would fit in the center rear facing while still leaving leg room in the front. We returned one convertible car seat for not fitting and then bought the Graco Comfortsport. I got the seat, read the manuals, watched the online install videos and after 45 minutes still could not get it in properly using the LATCH system or the seat belt. So rather than losing my mind trying, I gave up and drove over to the fire department for them to install it... here is what I learned and what I do & don't like about this car seat.

First of all, Mr. Fireman said that most car's LATCH systems are not intended for car seats to be in the center and after reading my car's manual it was confirmed for the Mazda6. But you can still use the seat belt in the center, using the little medal "deely-bob" that is mounted on the back of the seat on the left side. We did have to put a rolled up towel under the car seat to get the correct angle. Now that it's properly installed I hope we don't have to take the sucker out for any reason in the near future. Oh and by the way, there is still plenty of room in the front seats for my long legs.

Likes: Good quality, straps easily adjusts to fit baby and seems pretty comfy for baby.

Dislikes: Install directions are NOT clear and buckles are hard to click in at first but have gotten a bit easier with use. This seat is tall (when rear facing) and could be difficult to see over (especially if you are a short)when sitting in driver seat looking behind to the back seat or out the back windows. But I would imagine this is the case with most convertible car seats.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great front facing, BAD rear facing, July 4, 2013
This car seat is super cute for my little girl! Also, it seems very comfortable for her.
However, when my daughter was rear facing every time she fell asleep her head would fall forward . Also, it doesn't fit well rear facing in my Toyota corolla. Both my husband and I are tall and I have to have my knees jammed in the dash so her car seat could fit rear facing. Also, the seat is very hard to install rear facing so if you plan to take it out and put it in a different vehicle on a regular basis, then this isn't the right seat for you when shopping for a rear facing car seat.
In my state they can go front facing at a year, so right when she turned a year I moved the seat front facing. Since then, I have LOVED this seat! Her head is tilted back more so when she sleeps it doesn't fall forward, and I don't have to have my knees jammed into the dash! It's easier to install front facing as well! I think this is a great front facing car seat!

5.0 out of 5 stars love love love, May 5, 2012
i love this car seat .. at 6 months my son grew to big for his infant seat !! i read over a 1000 reviews on over 6 diff car seats .. this one seemed to be the only one that i truly came out with good feed back ... my son loves riding in it. his head is supported well and the snaps seem very good nice and snug, not loose so there is no way for him to try an unsnap them later on, with it being refacing and front facing i wont have to worry about buying a diff seat just to turn it front facing later on, it has plenty of padding to make the ride comfy, and it was at a very decent price..

5.0 out of 5 stars A great car seat, January 31, 2014
This is my second graco comfortsport. The price is great! It is very comfortable, my baby loves it! The cover is a velvety cloth and comes off pretty easily to clean. I machine wash it and hang dry. It holds up well. It is not too heavy. The straps adjust easily in the front and it has the 3 point latch straps. I like the detachable cup holder. I would recommend this car seat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice carseat but not for rear facing in a small car, July 27, 2013
This carseat was a little big to be rear facing in my Mazda 3 so we gave it to my mom. It sits pretty upright so it looked a little uncomfortable when my baby was a newborn but after a few months it was great and I'll probably order another one for us.

4.0 out of 5 stars Use a pad underneath it to protect your seat and tie the head pad, June 3, 2014
My best advice regarding this seat is to us a protective pad or rolled towel underneath this seat to keep the base from putting stretched ridges in your leather.

I use this rear-facing in the center of my 2011 Mazdaspeed3, and I keep it in the trunk (hatchback boot) it when the baby is not riding with me. Putting the baby in the Speed3 is really forcing the issue, and that car can't "baby" with a roll cage or Hans device. The seat won't fit in the trunk if the rear chassis brace is in place--it takes up all the room. I use a rolled towel to get the angle just right and to keep the pokey plastic ridges off my leather. This Graco ComfortSport Jette is the backup seat for our Recaro Performance Ride convertible seat. I'm giving this Graco seat a solid four stars for value at this price point. I got mine on the Amazon deal of the day for $65.02, having done no research on it, just to have a spare seat. I didn't give it five stars since the head pillow greatly annoys me--I can see where Graco keeps the cost down on everything, but they just need to fix the attachment of the head pillow. To keep the head pad/pillow, which is necessary for safety, from annoying me to death, I used a string to tie it through the strap holes with a knot on the back side of the seat. Also, unlike Britax and Peg, Graco prohibits the use of the top tether in the rear-facing position (as far as I know, no Graco seats allow that Swedish attachment method).
When shopping for our first convertible seat to use in the center rear-facing position of a regular Mazda 3, where cost was of little concern (safety #1, hence rear-facing as long as possible, and our very difficult center fit #2, hence no Swedish top tether), we narrowed the selection down to the Chicco NextFit and the Recaro Performance Ride. We went for the Recaro (don't laugh--Sparco doesn't make baby seats), but that's only to establish my point of reference for considering the value of this Graco within the confines of the small car fitment. If you are rear-facing and have more space, consider one that uses the Swedish-style top latch in case you roll your car (don't laugh--Sparco doesn't make helmets for babies). This Graco is not trying to play at the higher price point.
The pull-belt to tighten the baby is big and wonderful, and better than any other seat. The rocker is big, easy to see or find behind the Velcro'd flap, easy to reach in the rear-facing position, and allows the parent to pull the strap upward. I wish every seat was so easy in that regard.
The baby sweats more in this seat--the material does not breathe (better than in an infant seat, but much worse than our Recaro convertible). The material is easy to clean and seems to be wearing very well, and it is soft. The baby belts are standard Graco, if you recall comparing those on your infant seat, just with an upsized chest clip for the larger baby. (The chestplate is redesigned, mitigating previous criticism that kids might unclip it.) If you want to be able see twists in the strap, paint the edge of the belts with some red paint or stitch a red ribbon to it. The Latch system clips are standard Graco, meaning they are just functional clip hooks with no nice button release. The head pillow insert is only held-in by the shoulder belts, and not kept in place with Velcro or on a track. That head pillow drove me crazy until I tied it to the back with string. The shoulder belts have only three positions, which puts the belt further below the baby's shoulder than you might like in the rear-facing position or further above the shoulder when front-facing.
As for fit in my small car, it just fits in the center and uses some of the space between the front seats. It would not rear-face in the side seats, else I'd have to move the front seats up. I wish it would recline a bit more, but I'm in the green part of the level meter now, and the seat offers no adjustments for angle. My baby's head flops forward when he sleeps--boo.

So, it looks good, wears well, and works for everyone's budget. Just be sure to use a rolled towel for rear-facing and a protective pad for front-facing if you have leather seats. Then, get some string and tie the head pillow down. Also, don't have a crash, don't drive distracted, and remember if you drive behind me that I stop from 100 mph in three car-lengths.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't fit my car, July 9, 2013
Never could get the car seat to sit right inside my car. The instruction manual suggested using a towel under the seat for leveling. That didn't work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Rear-Facing, Good Forward-Facing, October 13, 2012
We bought this car seat for our 9 month old daughter because she is a very long baby and doesn't fit in her infant car seat any more. I didn't read any reviews because I was too excited about getting such a good deal on the seat and the other seat we have is Graco and we love it. She obviously still has to be rear facing until she is 2 according to the laws and the fact that her neck muscles wouldn't be strong enough to withstand a crash if she was forward facing. My husband and I spent 3 hours trying to get this seat in our car. The instructions say to place rolled up towels under the front of the seat to create an incline. With the towels under there we couldn't get it to tighten enough with the seat belt or the in seat latch hooks. We tried taking the towels out but the placement of the straps is so far at the front of the seat that if i slammed on my breaks the seat would be able to tip up towards the back of the car no matter how tight the belts are. We turned it around and tried to see if it would go in well forward facing and it did a great job. It was completely secure. Unfortunately it sat in my garage for over 30 before we attempted to put it in the car so I couldn't return it, otherwise I would have. But now we just have to find something else and we will be able to use this one when she is two. I wouldn't recommend it if you are buying for an under 2 year old.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for infants, September 11, 2012
DON'T BUY FOR AN INFANT. We bought this carseat because it stated in the description that it could be used starting at 5lbs. My baby was 9lbs and we thought it would be great to not have to buy the infant carseat and then another carseat a few months later. This carseat did not tilt back far enough and her little head had no support. I tried everything and ended up holding her head up. Instuctions said to put a towel under the seat....that made the seat dangerous and it didn't fit or sit properly. I ended up buying an infant carrier.
I give this 3 stars because this seat will be fine....in a few months.

Graco ComfortSport Convertible Car Seat, Jette