on November 12, 2010
I bought this sprayer based on amazon reviews and was not disappointed.

There is a bit of a learning curve to setup and clean it, but it worked flawlessly. The written instructions are not
the best, but it comes with a DVD that helps. And once you understand it, the steps are easy to remember.

It's much better than the kind with a cup and well worth the extra money. It can spray in any direction and you only have to hold a light gun instead of a cup full of paint. I did 5 gallons of outdoor latex paint in about an hour. This one sucks the paint directly from the can. With the cup kind, I would have had to refill it 20 or 30 times. The cup kind are sometimes rated at several gallons per hour, but I'm assuming they are not including the endless refilling.

It's much faster and better than brushes or rollers. I was painting a shed with lots of grooves. I had tried painting it with a brush and spent hours trying to get the paint into every nook. Rollers would not have helped. The sprayer did the trick and in a fraction of the time.

The cleanup, never fun, was fairly painless. For water based paint, you can hook it to a hose and flush out the whole system. Probably took less time than cleaning brushes would have.

I got mine at Home Depot for $299.00. I wish I had spent the extra $100.00 for the XR7 since it can take a 0.017 tip and has wheels. It is better suited for 5 gallon cans. The XR5 is not heavy and is easy to move, but you have to haul the 5 gallon can and XR5 together. It has a 25' hose, so I only had to move it a couple of times.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 15, 2013
I painted my 2 story cedar clapboard house with a 4" roller about 5 years ago. If you have ever done this sort of thing before, you know that it takes a certain amount of physical effort to get a full coat of paint up into the horizontal corners of each clapboard. My back, painting arm, and shoulder were very sore by the time that I was done so I vowed to find an easier way.

I considered a Wagner cup sprayer but the Amazon reviews were average to very poor. I considered a Graco cup sprayer which had much better reviews. I actually checked one out in person at a big box store but it was relatively heavy even when it was not filled with paint. I did not want to trade a sore arm with a brush for a sore arm with a cup sprayer.

The Graco X5 is an entry level airless sprayer that produces the results of a higher end sprayer. A few observations for other novice painters:

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS:

1. The sprayer is very well made and durable despite its light weight. I imagine that a full cup sprayer probably would have weighed 5 or 6 pounds. The X5 spray gun probably weighs a half pound or less.
2. DO NOT SKIP THE OWNERS MANUAL. You will need to invest some time in learning how to operate this machine. The manual is very easy to understand and it goes through each step with helpful illustrations. The DVD is even more useful. I watched the DVD with the equipment spread out in the front of me on the living room floor.
3. Set-up takes a lot longer than brush or roller painting. As long as your surface is clean, you can start painting with a brush or a roller right away. Sprayers require you to cover any and everything that you do not want to get overspray on. I actually bought a very lightweight aluminum shield (36") at a big box store for less than $18. This was very helpful. I recommend getting the smaller version as well. The large one was too big to fit the corners of smaller windows. This can save you set-up time if you do not mind razoring off any small amounts of overspray once it dries.
4. Once you are properly set-up, the actual spraying goes VERY QUICKLY! I painted a 12' x 20' shed in less than 30 minutes. I did what I think is a very good job even though I never used a sprayer before in my life. Given how rough and "thirsty" the siding was, I believe that it would have taken an entire day with a brush or roller.
5. You will use more paint than you are used to. I suspect that expert users can minimize paint loss more easily than I can but I feel like I used 50% more paint than I was expecting.
6. The online picture does not look like it but this sprayer will accept the more cost effective 5 gallon buckets of paint. This prevents you from having to frequently change smaller cans and it prevents paint loss from leaving all the smidges of unused paint behind. (I saved the cans for touch-up jobs that can be handled with a quick brush.)
7. Since I was painting outside, I placed both the sprayer and the paint can on a 2' x 4' piece of plywood. This provided a more stable platform for the sprayer and minimized chances of the can getting kicked, falling over, etc.

PROS:

1. Great value for the money from a respected name in the industry. I paid $280 for this unit with free shipping and obviously no taxes. I saw the same unit at a big box store for $299.
2. Sturdy and durable with easy to understand features. Will withstand all respectful wear and tear.
3. Paint gun is extremely lightweight and easy to use. This said, it is made completely from metal so it is very, very durable.
4. Produces great results with minimal effort.
5. Like all sprayers, it does a great job of reaching areas that are not readily accessible with brushes or rollers. Gutters were an absolute SNAP with superior results to boot!
6. If you are using a heavy paint like exterior latex then make sure that you water down the paint. If it is too thick then the sprayer will not be able to draw the paint and it will lose suction. A LITTLE WATER GOES A LONG WAY. Add a few ounces to a gallon of paint to begin with. That worked for me. It is easy to learn as you go but always start with less water than you think you need and work your way up.

CONS:

1. Sprayer loses suction when you draw down to about 2" of paint remaining in the can. I have to wonder out loud if a stronger motor would have been able to draw down further prior to losing suction. I got around this by moving on to the next can and then pouring the balance of the previous can into the can currently in use (once there was enough room). Keep this in mind if your job hovers around needing a full gallon. You will need to manage your paint supply in order to ensure that you will be able to draw adequate suction until your job is done. (So maybe you could buy an extra quart or a full gallon can if you think that you will be able to use it in the future.)
2. As with any sprayer, set-up and clean-up take longer than brush, roller, or cup sprayer. Even so, I still saved days in completing my house and saved physical wear and tear on my body as well.
3. The sprayer is light and easy to move around. Even so, I think that I might have appreciated a higher end Graco with wheels. Not a big concern but something to consider if you are thinking about spending a little extra.

All in all, this is one of the best purchases that I have made in a while. I am pleased and proud to give this tool 5 stars. Please let me know if you have any questions.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 19, 2012
Please vote so this will float to the top and help everyone avoid the painful cleanup we went through yesterday.

The cause (discounting my own stupidity:-) is that there is a finger clamp holding the large paint suction tube to the pump unit. When the pump is drawing in paint there is no problem. Unfortunately when you clean the unit you attach a garden hose to the tube. If the clamp is too high or too low on the tube the water pressure from the garden hose will blow off the paint loaded tube and blast paint all over your cleanup area. Now I need to pressure wash the concrete steps and paint my back door thanks to the factory not having put the clamp in the right place. Next time I will use a screw on type hose clamp! (I might also put a little Vaseline or wax on the unit so if I find another way to screw up it will be easier to clean.)

Otherwise the unit has been nicely reviewed. For us it sprayed latex perfectly at about 80% up on the pressure setting. The laminated card directions are OK but watching the DVD is much better. I have owned the Wagner Paint Crew unit with the tray top where you put the paint. This Graco system is really worth the extra cost.

Nice if Graco would have a sticker on the unit with a reminder list of priming and cleanup directions (for us occasional users). It was surprising how light the sprayer is. That's a plus for carrying around and storing but it doesn't really feel like a $300 tool. I would buy it again but very unhappy with the mess this simple assembly mistake caused.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 18, 2011
The Graco Magnum X5 makes painting projects short and easy work. Once you find your own rhythm, there's nothing to it. Like every other review, I would also recommend the swivel connector. As far as over spray goes... COVER EVERYTHING including yourself!! A fan blowing towards the outdoors helps(in a window or doorway). Also, if you are using the sprayer by yourself, dump the gallons of paint into a 5 gallon bucket, or buy the 3 or 5 gallon buckets of paint. If you don't plan on painting multiple rooms or big projects, stick to a roller. Their is no benefit to using the sprayer on smaller jobs. It is a really nice sprayer, no complaints.
on July 10, 2012
It works fine, just be careful to adjust the amount of paint coming out or you will have runs everywhere!! Unfortunately I painted an entire rental house before realizing I had the amount of paint coming out of the nozzle set too high. That said, the sprayer worked great and I painted a 1350 square foot house in about 3 hours. It was super fast.

NOTE: You definitely need to buy a mask to wear...and not the white cloth masks, you need to buy a $20-30 mask that makes you look like an alien. The back spray will be everywhere so get drop cloths!! You will look like an old man with white hair (or whatever color you are spraying), so wear clothes you don't care about as well.

Overall I was pleased and it was fun painting...yes, there I said it...FUN.
on August 18, 2012
I couldn't be more impressed with the little monster. I bought it to help at church painting 3 school buildings. After switching to the RAC 521 tip (the 515 kept clogging) the Graco Magnum became a monster painter. Everyone else quit using rollers, prepared the buildings to be spray painted, stood back, and watched me paint. Paint I did. Several days I went through 15 gallons of paint and on one marathon day it was probably between 25 to 30 gallons of paint. In total I probably ran 80 or 90 gallons of paint through the sprayer. Yes, clean up is a bit of hassle but no more than any other airless sprayer I've used. A good coating of grease on everything ahead of time makes clean up much easier.

I did buy two more additional tips a 421 and a 221 tip. I was trying to paint some metal doors at the school and these put out a narrower fan of paint. But I still was getting too much paint and switched back to the 515 tip. It still clogged; however, I didn't have paint running down the door. I'm thinking if did it over I'd try a 217 tip. Hopefully, a narrower fan of paint, less paint, and no clogging.

While painting I did wear a dust mask, a full face shield, a head and neck covering, gloves, and a cut off disposable pair of coverall. I cut the coveralls off about mid chest so that my arms and shoulders were covered. The coveralls were much too hot otherwise.
on October 10, 2010
After doing some research on airless sprayers and having a not so good experience with another sprayer --manufacturer's name rhymes with "Bagner"--I decided I would spend a little more money and get a sprayer I could rely on. Graco is the brand my local paint store carries, so I knew if I needed/wanted extra tips or accessories, I could get them there. They didn't carry the X5 as they cater mainly to professionals, but the store manager said I "couldn't go wrong with a Graco product."

The sprayer came with everything I needed to complete my job: sprayer, 20ft hose, instruction manual and DVD. Set up is a breeze. The tip shipped with the unit handled the exterior acrylic latex with no problem. I sprayed my 12' x 20' (8' walls) in about an hour...including cleanup!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 22, 2012
Ok, this is a great sprayer. However I was sold on the "light-duty household use" and purchased this sprayer to mainly do some cabinet, furniture, some ceiling and misc interior use. Aside from applying a great coat, I will not knock that....this thing is hungry and wants BIG jobs. There is no way to hold back the spray. I went through a gallon of paint trying to paint a piece of furniture when I could have easily done it in a quart. Plain and simple, this sprayer is meant for walls, and fences, and EXTERIOR mid to heavy use. If you want to sell it as a "light duty household use" put a restrictor or volume control adjustment on the thing. Anybody want to buy mine?
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 25, 2011
I purchased this sprayer to paint my shop,There is a learning curve on this but its not to hard to understand.
So I painted my shop and it couldn't have been easier to use.
Paint was sprayed evenly and looked fantastic,clean up was easy but does take a little time.
Cant wait to paint my house,Grate value for the money would buy again.
on June 4, 2011
I got this used from Amazon. It was re-manufactured but it looked almost brand new. This was a first time experience for me. If you've never used one, take it from me, test it out on a sheet of plywood or drywall first. Buy the cheapest 4' X 8' sheet you can get at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. If not, you are taking your chances!

The unit worked well but there were times I got some sags and drips at the end and beginning of each pass. Follow the directions carefully and you won't have a problem from the beginning; I usually don't full read the manual.

Here are a few comments:
The gun uses a lot of paint!
Use a roller to spread it evenly on the wall. I still needed a second light coat.
Cover everything.
Wear a respirator.
Open 2 windows and put a box fan on one of them to create a cross current of air or else you will have a very foggy room.
Clean the unit thoroughly when you are done. It took me a 45 minutes to do it but it was my first time. It took about 35 minutes the second time. It was a messy chore.
Use the grease and storage liquid that comes with the unit.

I'm giving the unit 3 stars because the cleanup is a hassle for me.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...