5.0 out of 5 stars Double Your Infant Seat's Usefulness for a Little Money
My wife and I have been long-time fans of our Graco infant seat, so much so that we would have been willing to purchase a second one in order to ensure that either my wife or I would always be ready to get up and go with our son when necessary. However, Graco saved us from having to do that by offering this base alone as an accessory.

Some other reviews have...
Published on June 20, 2005 by D. R. Jeanclerc

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient, but think before buying.
A little known fact about the Graco SnugRide--you can use them without the base as a car seat, and it is every bit as safe (it actually seemed more secure to me). The bases mainly provide convenience.

Published on November 21, 2006 by Sarah Logan

5.0 out of 5 stars Double Your Infant Seat's Usefulness for a Little Money, June 20, 2005
This review is from: Graco SnugRide Classic Connect Infant Car Seat Base, Silver (Baby Product)

Some other reviews have claimed that having an additional base isn't really necessary because LATCH allows you to easily move the base from car-to-car. This sounds reasonable on paper, but breaks down in real life:

* What if one of your cars is older than 2001 and doesn't have LATCH? Ask anyone who's correctly installed a car seat or base via the seatbelt and they'll confirm that it is a physically difficult endeavor. Faced with a choice between regularly undergoing this exertion or else investing in an additional base and then leaving it in place, I'd bet 99% would go for the base (the other 1% apparently enjoy a vigorous workout at the most inopportune times).

* Will you always have the time to switch? When you're commuting or traveling with an infant, time is an even more crucial resource than usual. Plus, any number of other factors (What if you're alone with the baby? What if the weather is severe?) could make the prospect of a guaranteed quick departure well worth the $40 spent on a spare base.

* What about unforseen schedule changes? When our son began going to day care, he had to be brought home early on several occasions because of ailments. Having a base in each car meant that either of us could go get him. So if one of was too tied up at the office, we wouldn't have to stress over begging out of work early during a busy time.

More than a simple convenience, having a base in each of your family's vehicles is an insurance policy against being painted into a corner when getting around town with your little one. Any working parent will especially appreciate not having to stress over "do I have the car with the car seat?" at any given time. We've gotten our money's worth out of this accessory time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Seat--Hints on How to Install, June 2, 2004
I got the Graco Snugride in Glen Plaid as a baby gift and bought two silver bases to go with it--one for my car (which doesn't have latch) and one for my husband's car (which has latch). His was very easy to install. I had a shoulder belt system in my car and used that with my base. Everything seemed fine, but it seemed as if every time I went over a bump, the carseat would become loose. I couldn't understand, because my seatbelt locks in place. Someone reminded me that the base comes with a locking clip. (If you look, the directions on how to install it are actually in the owner's manual for the car seat (and not in the base's manual)--mine was on page 25). This was the key! Now my base is completely snug.
Also, for people who have trouble with the base tilting--it takes a bit of strength, but if you put your knee in the middle of the base while you thread/tighten the seatbelt, it will stay down--of course, this was a challenge with my bony knees! (I learned from a carseat checkpoint, in order to get the base as snug as possible, don't allow the seatbelt to lock until you have it buckled and the lap part of the belt is snug. Then you can lock the belt and allow it to tighten. You can get it to tighten by pulling down on the shoulder belt part).
This is a very snug seat/base, and my son seems to do very well in it. If you need help, go to a childseat inspection checkpoint (you can go to the NHTSA--National Highway Traffic Safety Administration--site and click on Child Seat Inspections. You can search by zipcode or state).
Hope this information helps!

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient, but think before buying., November 21, 2006

If you will take your baby equally in both cars, then by all means buy an extra base. However, if you will use one vehicle as the primary baby transporter and the 2nd one only occasionally, save your money on this item. You can still take baby in the carrier with the seatbelt, and you'll have one less thing to store once you move into the "big" carseat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helps switching between cars......, August 14, 2004
While shopping for our infant seat in BRU a father was in the store and told us how helpful having another base in my husband's car would be...well we received this as a gift and installed it in less than 15 minutes( it took awhile in my husbands car because he does not have latch)and is very secure. No slippage and movement. Placing your knee in the middle helps alot in making sure it is tight, so you may need another person if you are on the petite side. It is so helpful being able to lift her out and change cars if needed without major moving of bases.It took less than 5 minutes putting it in my SUV ( latch) and has not moved in 6 months...now she is outgrowing her Snugride infant seat so we will have to take these out but I would use this system again for our next child! I would give this 4 1/2 stars since putting it in took us a minute but that was nothing once it was in and we knew it was not going anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have!, September 2, 2003
"irisheyes9098" (Belle Chasse, LA) - See all my reviews
As a mother of three, my oldest being 13 in 8 days and my youngest being 5 weeks, I have seen my share of good and bad infant seats. The SnugRide Infant Car Seat (Saratoga) is, by far, one of the best seats I have encountered. It's easy to install (we have a Dodge Grand Caravan and a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab) and the base stays put in it's place. The carrier easily locks into the base and is just as easy to remove. I've just ordered a second base so when I return to work my husband and I will both be able to use the infant seat in each of our vehicles. I highly recommend this product!!

5.0 out of 5 stars your local fire dept can help!, February 25, 2004
By A Customer
i have this base and the compatible graco car seat, and i couldn't love it more. i had a hard time getting my base and seat properly installed...car seats just aren't easy to maneuver! but my local fire station had a "car seat expert" who helped me adjust the base so it's not going anywhere! i feel confident that my car seat is installed properly now, and i'm sure i know the best way to secure my baby in it. (we didn't need to purchase any extra clips - we used the locking clip that came with the seat to prevent the seat from moving.) my understanding is that many fire departments across the country are willing to help...it's worth the half hour! all parents should be sure to do this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best invention of all time......., March 16, 2005
I have to say that I want to thank Graco for thinking of the parents!!!

This is probably the most innovative invention that anyone could have made. I love the fact that we don't have to move the base from car to car every time we change cars. This also saves us from having to buy a second seat for convenience.

Also, I love that I can just unlatch the carseat from the base and carry her inside in the seat. It keeps the seat from getting cold in the winter time since you can take it inside with you!

Everyone should have one!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe and convenient, September 26, 2005
After reading some of the other reviews, I had to write my own. The base with accompanying carrier IS safe. I had mine installed by my local police department who said the back of the base is supposed to be able to come up off the seat (in reference to another reviewer's comments). We tried installing it on our own and did a horrible job! For those of you having difficulty with the base moving around, try having it inspected by your PD. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't live without it!, February 21, 2004
By A Customer
For the others who have commented about the base moving, you might want to try the Mighty-Tite - Car Seat Belt Tightener. Trust me, once you get the seat positioned how you want it and then use the Mighty-Tite on it, it will NOT move AT ALL! The Mighty-Tite is a MUST HAVE with this or any other car seat for that matter!!
With that said, this base is no worse than any other we tried.

1.0 out of 5 stars The word Snugride is not universal, November 3, 2010
NoCheez "Peg" (West Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have a snugride 35 carseat. Apparantly not all snugrides are considered equal when it comes to the base. I purchased this model thinking I would save money on my spare base. Now I have to return it and wait for the more expensive one to come. How hard is it to include in the product information that it excludes, or will only fit certain models?