5.0 out of 5 stars Best Car Seat Available - Has Important Features
This review is for the Graco Snugride 35 Infant Carseat - Lowery

Pros:
1. Self Supported Canopy (Big plus for me)
2. Easy to adjust harness
3. Up to 35lbs and 32 inches
4. Sturdy Base with adjustable angle
5. Extra handle position
6. Great design (haven't seen the other designs, Brunswick and Flint)
7. Rubber on base to...
Published on March 8, 2010 by T. Meyer

3.0 out of 5 stars Height limit and safety ratings could be better
Published 8 months ago by Momma Bear

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Car Seat Available - Has Important Features, March 8, 2010
This review is for the Graco Snugride 35 Infant Carseat - Lowery

Pros:
1. Self Supported Canopy (Big plus for me)
2. Easy to adjust harness
3. Up to 35lbs and 32 inches
4. Sturdy Base with adjustable angle
5. Extra handle position
6. Great design (haven't seen the other designs, Brunswick and Flint)
7. Rubber on base to prevent slippage
8. Works with the Graco SnugGlider Swing

Cons:
9. On the heavy side of car seats

Description:
1. I must say I am really writing this review because of the self supported canopy. I have seen and used many other strollers and car seats with annoying canopies that latch to the back of the head rest and come out a certain distance. While this is a standard design, I hate it. Unless the canopy is really huge, it is basically useless, because unless you live on the equator, the sun always comes in at an angle. The Graco Snugride 35 has a self supporting canopy frame. So the canopy can be adjusted as far forward as you'd like and still maintain its structure. This is such a great feature to keep sun light, wind, and all sorts of weather off the baby, regardless of what angle it's coming in at. Sure other car seats let you unlatch the canopy from the back and move it forward, but then the back of the canopy droops down because it has no support.

2. I love the harness on this seat. First off it has the individual side clips that can be buckled in separately, so there is no fancy finger work trying to get the two sides together and then snap it in. Second, the harness is easily loosened by depressing the clamp and pulling the harness away from the baby. This makes for easier access to the baby. Just in case you were worried, when the seat is snapped into the base, even if you depress the clamp, the harness won't budge. Safety feature I guess. I had a car seat prior to this one that was just incredibly difficult to loosen the harness, so annoying. I do say the chest plate seems a little large for a newborn, but my 7lb 7ounce son does just fine (he's now 8lb 4ounces).

3. I love how long this should last. It seems so stupid to buy a car seat that can only be used a few months. 35 lbs and 32 inches should make life a little easier. However, this feature causes a little more weight, which I will discuss later.

4. I am coming from and Eddie Bauer car seat to this car seat and owe my, the difference is like night and day. I don't know what Eddie was thinking, but their base was so wobbly when installed it was like placing the car seat on a took pick and praying it didn't tip over around a curve (Yes, I put all my weight on it and tightened it real tight). When I installed the Graco Carseat, which was a breeze to do, it felt sturdy before I even gave it a big tightening pull. And to add the security, the base has an angle adjustment knob which causes the plate on the bottom, called the `foot' to move downward by twisting the knob on top. I did this after I tightened the base in. This increase in height tightened the base even more. That base doesn't move an inch, or even a millimeter. The only thing I'm worried about, is the nice square imprint the foot will leave on the seat of my car, lol. Oh well, the safety of my child is way more important.

5. The extra handle position is another plus for me. Most car seats have 2 positions in which the handle snaps. One spot is the carrying position and the other is at the head rest. The Graco Snugride 35 has and extra one in between. It's not really a big deal, but it's just one of those things that makes life a little easier. Mostly I like to set it in that position when he's in the car so that the handle doesn't block my mirror set up.

6. Design is awesome, soft and sturdy. My wife loves the print. So do I since it's pretty neutral and we are planning on having more kids. I love the newborn head rest. It's seems more plump and effective than others, but I do agree with the other review that it could be plumper as there's still plenty of room for the newborn head to move around. We just add a small rolled up towel around his head for now. In about a month, I imagine it will be the perfect size.

7. I love the rubber and the bottom of the car seat. It makes me feel so much more at ease when I put him down on a slick surface. Also it still has a curve to it so you can rock the car seat if you'd like.

8. This car seat works with the Graco SnugGlider, which I am so happy with right now. My son will cry (sometimes) when I first put into the car seat, but as soon as he's situated, it's off to a peaceful sleep. He doesn't like being still though for very long. So we either place the car seat on the swing or hurry up and get to the car. Not sure why, but car rides put our baby at peace like nothing else. Perhaps it's the vibrations, I don't know, but they need to make a car simulator for babies, lol. Anyways, since he sleeps so well in the car, we love the fact that when we get home, we don't have to take him out of the car seat and wake him up. Instead, we just attach the car seat to the SnugGlider and it keeps the motion feeling going which keeps the baby asleep. The swing does have a vibrating setting on it, I just haven't used it yet, probably should try that out. Anyways, the ability to turn the car seat into a swing and not have to take out the baby (which usually wakes him) is just so nice.

9. Well, I put this in the cons area, but it doesn't really bother me. I've read many reviews about car seats, and the one thing people complain about and take away stars for is the weight of a car seat. I tried out a few car seats and determined that these people are stupid idiots. This car seat may be a little bit more then the lightest ones out there, but those light ones won't hold as much weight as the heavier ones. And my goodness, we are talking about a few pounds difference. If you want to down grade something for weight alone, why don't you take a star away from your baby for every pound he/she gains. When the baby weighs 25lbs, the weight of the car seat should be a breeze. The best way to make things seem lighter is to do arm curls and work up your muscles, either that order a carbon fiber car seat. But I'm sure there still people who want to know about the weight. At 9.4 pounds it basically doubles the weight of your newborn. Both my wife and I are able to carry it around without much hassle. Don't get me wrong, I don't go on long walks with the car seat. But carrying it into a store or for a short period of time isn't a big deal. If he's gonna be traveling with me, I'll put him into his stroller.

Summary:
This is really a great car seat. I am very glad with my purchase and would highly recommend it to anyone with a new baby.

UPDATE, 17 July 2010:

My son is now 5 months old and we have been using this car seat the whole time. He is almost 18 lbs and 27 inches yet still has room to grow in this seat. I predict we'll be using it at least another 3 months before it's time for a new older baby car seat. This makes me so glad I purchased this car seat. Yes there are lighter car seats out there, but my son would already be pushing the limit on most of those. There is no way those lighter car seats could be used as long as this one can.

I also wanted to address one issue I've seen arise with this car seat, and that is the width of it. It is a little wider than most car seats which may or may not be a problem for you. We have found, as others have, that it doesn't fit into those standard wooden highchairs at some restaurants. However, we have hardly found this to be a problem and here's why; Many restaurants, such as IHop and Applebees, are moving away from the old wooden highchairs and now have new plastic transforming stools or slings, which this car seat works great in. Even when we have ended up at a restaurant that still uses the old ones, we were still able to find another solution and it has never been a big deal. I would not turn down this car seat for that reason. Regardless of the added width, it still fits in any Graco Snugride swing or stroller and many places now have highchairs or swings capable of handling a wider car seat.

Aside from that, my wife and I still love this car seat and are glad we didn't pick another lighter one, especially since we couldn't even use a smaller lighter one now. Get better bang for your buck and be willing to lift an extra 2 or 3 lbs.

UPDATE: 26 March 2012

Just installed it again in the car for its second run with our second son! Still loving this seat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my 11 month old's life, July 16, 2012
This review is from: Graco Snugride 35 Infant Car Seat, Rittenhouse (Baby Product)
I received the Graco SnugRide 35 as a baby shower gift and knew that it had stellar safety features in addition to looking cute without being too cutesy. This last Friday we were in an awful crash and according to the E.M.T. who rushed us to the hospital, this car seat was the reason our baby is with us completely unharmed today. Since I was sitting by her when the accident happened I saw with my own eyes how she was completely cocooned in the seat so much so that when we were rammed with such force the first time, she didn't even wake up from her nap. Even though I've been a regular amazon prime member for years (with packages delivered to my place on a daily basis) I don't think I've ever written a review on Amazon before today because I've never be so thankful for anything I've ever purchased in my life. Here are more details along with images of what happened in the crash [...]

The most important thing about a car seat is that it keeps our babies safe and I can vouch that beyond shadow of a doubt this seat does that job. Thank you Graco SnugRide!! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Height limit and safety ratings could be better, August 7, 2013
Momma Bear (Arlington, VA) - See all my reviews
Two years ago, I purchased this carseat in Racer pattern for my son and was repeating my car seat research in preparation for our second baby due in October and came across a few interesting points that are worth mentioning here and not discussed in previous reviews. My main points have to do with 1) incompatibility with newer Click Connect products, 2) height limit 3) and safety ratings.

First off, it seems that Graco's next generation of carseats is Click Connect. The older one shown here is Classic Connect. What is the difference? Well, for one the Classic Connect carseats are NOT compatible with the new Click Connect carseat bases. Also, if you have a graco snugrider stroller frame or graco duoglider or any number of strollers that were previously compatible with your Snugride Classic Connect, they will NOT work with the Click Connect generation of carseats. I find this more than irritating. Having purchased a whole travel system in 2011, I would have liked for the newer generation of products to be compatible with my other Graco products which in all reality are not that old.

Second, the biggest limiting factor of these carseats will be the height limit not the weight. For the Graco Snugride 30 and 32, the height limit is 29 inches. For the snugride 35, it is 32 inches. My son was short and plump so we actually got quite a bit of use out of our Snugride 35 - but if you look at a standard WHO growth chart, a child who is 50th % for height will be at 29 inches by 9 months of age. 32 inches for an average height child will get you to 18 months of age. So, really the major benefit of the snugride 35 over the 30 and 32 are that you get those three extra inches which might actually extend your period of use significantly. With the new AAP guidelines to remain rear facing until at least 2 years of age, I wish that Graco would increase the height on the snugride 30 and 32 to at least 32 inches if not to 35 inches. Instead, they have released the Snugride 40, which does have a higher height limit but retails for over $220 and again will not be compatible with your older snugride car bases and strollers (again a point of contention with me).

Lastly and most importantly, the Classic Connect has been rated by the NHTSA (NHTSA.gov) as 3/5 stars for securing the child which is actually a lower score than the previous generation of snugride seats which had 4/5 stars for securing the child. I decided to pull consumer reports to verify this with independent testing and found that the Snugride 35 gets a 'good' for crash protection which is middle of the road. I noticed that many other carseats had 'very good' and 'excellent' ratings for crash protection. ALSO, the newest generation of snugride, the click connect hasn't been evaluated by the NHTSA yet so you really have no idea how it fares in terms of safety...

So, if I had to do it all over again, I would opt for a different carseat - an affordable carseat with better safety ratings and a higher height limit with better product compatibility. The snugride 40 has a 'very good' rating in consumer reports but is more expensive... My plan for my second child is to get a Snugride 30 classic connect (slightly better consumer report ratings than the snugride classic connect 35) ONLY because I already have two graco strollers and several extra classic connect carseat bases that I don't want to have to repurchase. The snugride 30 is only $100 and we need a second infant seat for my husband's car. As soon as my daughter outgrows the snugride 30 which I expect will be in the first 6-9 months, I will transition her to a convertible carseat. At this point, it's not worth the cost to me to purchase an entirely new travel system. As far as convertible carseats go, I purchased a Britax Marathon 70 that has awesome safety ratings and can remain rear facing until 40 pounds. In my opinion, get a carseat that works for you rather than purchasing the 'best selling' carseat out there. If you have tall children, try to find an infant car seat with at least a 32 inch height limit and plan to transition to a convertible car seat sooner rather than later. Hope this helps others.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!! and NOT bigger than old Snugride, August 4, 2011
I'm a mom of 4, so I've been around some carseats in my day. There is NO perfect carseat that I have found, they all seem to have a few glitches here or there that could use some improvement, but of the ones I have tried/owned...this is by far one of my favorites. First, I love this fabric...so modern and "chic" lol. More importantly, you can definitely tell there has been an emphasis on quality with this seat. I love the adjustable base, that I am not having to roll a towel or use a pool noodle to get just the right leverage under it. It's so simple..just latch it in and twist with the seat in place...no guesswork. The other little feature I love on the base is the new belt clip if you are not using the latch system. No more locking clips!! which is also cutting out guesswork. This is a very cool feature in my opinion.

As for the seat itself, super comfy. My DD loves it so much more than her old seat. It gives her just the right support in all the right places, she's not hunched over when she falls asleep. Huge PLUS. I have no problems with the seat's harness...it seems pretty standard to me. There is easy access to lengthen and tighten the harness while the child is in the seat. The upper buckle is not a problem for me and the lower buckle is super easy and super springy (i can unlock with 1 hand). I read reviews about the seat being too small at 4 or 5 months...this is not the case, just adjust the harness over the legs (there are 2 ways to adjust the harness instead of the typical 1). I also love the wider rubber grip across the handle. somehow it makes it easier to handle.

As for the size and weight. It says it weighs more than the old snugride...I, personally, cannot tell a difference between the 2 in weight so I feel it is negligible. As for those saying it is too big. I have the old snugride and I put them in a side by side comparison... absolutely no difference in size, despite its now 35 lb rating. It may be slightly wider, however, (at least the base) but only slight and this is really the only difference I could tell between the two. So, if you are like me, have an old snugride and are thinking of upgrading but worried this might be too big due to the reviews...have no fear...it takes up no more space than the old one.

All in all...5 stars. I love this seat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who cares about patten or bulk, this saved my baby!, May 9, 2012
Amy (Buffalo, NY) - See all my reviews
My 8 month old was strapped into the Graco Snugride 35 when I was walking down a flight of concrete stairs (brace yourself): I tripped and lost him. He flipped, toppled and rolled down the entire flight of conrete steps in this car seat. He landed on the side. He ended up with a small bump and scratch. Thank God for this seat!

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have bought the 32!, February 17, 2012
I absolutely love the pattern on these carseats. (Yes, I have two since I had twin girls.) I get compliments on it all the time. However, it was a mistake to buy the 35. I have to push the front seats of the car up so far that my knees are touching the dash. The seat is so wide that it doesn't fit in booths at restaurants. It's also really heavy. The other thing was that when I received 2 seats one had a different latching system than the other. The one latch is really good and the other is extremely difficult to undo. The 35 doesn't fit in the snap n'go very well either and now my babies legs are really cramped.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, June 6, 2012
BassoonMomma (Southern Arizona) - See all my reviews
I received this car seat a few days ago. I love the colors, pattern, and texture. I am of the opinion that this car seat would be perfect for a boy or a girl. It's really cute. I weighed this car seat and my regular Graco Snugride (up to 22 lbs)car seat. There is less than one pound difference between the two car seats. The Snugride 35 is only a tiny bit heavier. The size between the two is very comparable, I can't see any difference. This car seat has three sets of strap holes along the back whereas the regular one only has two sets. The Snugride 35 is compatible with my old Graco Stroller, but not with my old stay-in-car seat base (for the regular Graco Snugride), which makes sense. The regular Snugride seat base is designed to hold lighter weights, and I'm sure wouldn't be able to hold the heavier weights that the Snugride 35 seat base is designed to hold in the event of a car accident.

I had a regular Snugride, which works great. However, I was afraid that my baby was getting too tall for it (a large 7 month old). I wanted to get another infant car seat, even though my baby can sit up in grocery carts by himself (when he is awake). I have seven kids, and I can't always be home for "nap time." I have to run errands, or pick up kids from school in the afternoons. I wanted a car seat that had the convenience of letting my baby stay asleep, no matter where I had to go, or what I had to do, at any random time of day or night. And the pattern "Vance" has a matching double stroller that I hope to get one day. If this Snugride 35 "is too big and cumbersome," you have to remember that you don't want to be hauling a 20 pound baby in a 10 pound car seat through the park. The purpose of the Snugride 35 is to pop out of the car and pop it into a stroller or a shopping cart, or take it into the house while the baby is still asleep.

Chances are your baby will outgrow the Snugride 35 length-wise (at 32 inches) before it outgrows it weight-wise (at 35 pounds). I expect my son will outgrow it around 18 months. Just look at your baby's growth chart the doctor gives you, follow the curve, and you can predict when your baby will outgrow it.

I love this car seat. It is really cute, and very comfy for my baby.

4.0 out of 5 stars Over a year old and still hasn't outgrown it..., April 26, 2012
This car seat has served us well. I've found the latch installation to be very easy, although I have a hard time tightening it in my Scion XD (hatchback). I have no problem getting it tight in my husband's Sonata or when I transferred it to the babysitter's Altima. We also took it to Florida and had no problem installing it in a rental. It is a tight fit in my Scion - the passenger seat has to be pulled up pretty far, and the seat can't recline. Fortunately I don't have a lot of passengers.

My daughter is petite - 21 lbs at 14 months, but she's still in her Snugride 35. We usually don't detach the carrier, since it is heavy and awkward once they get that big, but it's come in handy a few times lately when she fell asleep in the car. I didn't have a problem carrying her in it when she was an infant, but I did sometimes envy the parents with the smaller lighter carriers - it's a tradeoff.

Pros:
1) Lasted a long time for us (she is about to outgrow the shoulder straps, but she's 14 months old)
2) Fit into my Scion hatchback, albeit with no room to spare
3) Durable - still looks good
4) Cover washed well (air dried overnight)
5) Canopy adjusts and stays put wherever you need it
6) Compatible with Graco strollers (we had an older hand-me-down and it was fine)
7) Compatible with Snap-N-Go stroller frame (we used this a lot)

Cons:
1) Wide - doesn't fit into most restaurant booths or high chairs. Makes it difficult to sit 3 across in the backseat.
2) Heavier than some infant carriers - but I didn't find it unmanageable. I preferred to just grab my daughter and carry her without the seat most of the time.
3) Not a lot of padding - There's plenty of padding around their head and shoulders, but they sit on a molded plastic seat covered with a thin quilted cover. Now that she's big, I will have to buy a new seat for our next road trip just for comfort's sake. It's fine for around town, though.
4) Straps are difficult to adjust - this is probably common to most car seats, but occasionally a strap would become mysteriously twisted. We would have to take it all apart to fix it.

Overall, we are happy with this seat. I think I would give it 5 stars if the seat was more comfortable, but we wanted one that could grow with her, and it's done just that. Obviously our baby is on the smaller side, and every child would be different.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, October 22, 2012
Our 6 month old was in it when the car collided head first with a bus running a red light. Car was totaled, injuries in both vehicles. Child was the only one unharmed - did not wake from nap. We immediately got another one.

4.0 out of 5 stars 16 good months of use, but no where near 35#s, July 24, 2012
This car seat held up well to 16 months of near daily use. Easy to install, cover holds up well. The straps aren't too hard to re-position. There's space in the back to keep the manual and locking clip with the seat, which is convenient. The car seat is a little heavy to carry baby around in. My daughter always seemed comfortable, though the straps occasionally left marks on her neck.

We were never in an accident (touch wood), so I can't speak to its effectiveness there. I'm also not sure how this rates in crash tests - check Consumer Reports (hint: your local library may let you access this info online. Seattle does!)

Here's what you should keep in mind: car seats have both weight and HEIGHT limits. For this car seat, its 35 pounds or 32 inches - whichever your kid hits first. Now, take a minute to picture a 35 pound child who is 32 inches tall...that's way off any growth chart you can imagine. My daughter is around the 50th percentile for weight and height - at 16 months, she's 22# and 31".

Other models have shorter height limits - so yes, either way, this seat will last you longer than Graco's other models. Good bang for your buck if you want an infant seat that you can use as a carrier and will last as long as possible. But be aware that it is highly unlikely that this seat will last until your child is 35#s. You'll be buying another seat well before that.

Bottom line: we had a good run with this seat and would recommend it, with the caveats above.

We're now moving on to a Britax Boulevard G3-70, which should take up to 49" or 70 pounds, and will allow for my daughter to continue riding rear facing until she is 40#s. Britax Boulevard 70-G3 Convertible Car Seat, Onyx

ARRAY(0xb02ab078)