2,406 Reviews
 (1,836)

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book! Really!
Published 12 months ago by Naomi Manygoats

1,074 of 1,255 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Loaded with misinformation
Published 5 months ago by srj

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book! Really!, August 22, 2013
This review is from: Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have long been plagued by many of the health issues that Dr. Perlmutter addresses in `Grain Brain', and have been seeking answers, including reading many `health diet' books. I even attended an all-vegetarian cooking school in order to learn more about how to better my health after having cancer. In short, THIS IS THE BOOK with the information that I have been searching for so many years for. Dr. Perlmutter is unique among doctors, because he is a board-certified Neurologist, a fellow of the American College of Nutrition (the only doctor in the country who is both), and a fellow of the American Board of Integrative and Holistic Medicine. His book is based on his very real patients at his own practice, and he cites huge amounts of research and studies to back up his claims. Most of us realize that American has become a very sick nation, with little being done in the way of preventative medicine, because doctors are taught to diagnose disease and prescribe a treatment. They are not trained in nutrition, and most base their advice (if any) about nutrition on misguided dietary principles. One cartoon says it very well "The high-carb diet I put you on 20 years ago gave you diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease (and brain disease). Oops"

The other reviews tell you what this book is about, how you should eliminate gluten and most carbs, and most fruits and sugar, get regular exercise, and sleep well, in order to have a healthy brain (and body). The writing style is very easy for anyone to understand the concepts and principles behind the plan. There are recipes and of course lists of foods to help get you going on the plan. I literally could not put this book down once I started it. I have started the plan, and am extremely excited about it. I would love to give the book to everyone I know, and everyone I meet!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has changed my life!, October 23, 2013
I'm 68 years old, forgetting everything, obese and out of shape. I've lost and gained weight so many times I could have made three different people. I didn't feel like doing anything, much less exercise. My nails were non-existent, my hair limp and thinning.

UNTIL I read this book! In three weeks of following this new way of living (it is NOT just a diet!) I've lost 12 lbs, have happily started an exercise program, and have more energy than I've had in years! I'm never hungry, I get to eat all kinds of meats and cheeses and veggies, and I don't even bother counting calories. The supplements he recommends have made an almost instant difference - my nails are stronger and growing long, my skin is better, and my overall mood is vastly improved. This will be my way of life from here on out, and I strongly recommend this book to everyone. It was like taking blinders off, and being able to see again. Thank you, Dr Perlmutter, for this wonderful book, and for the back up help from your website!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5/5 stars!, December 17, 2013
This book is absolutely amazing. It is chock full of great information for the dieter who is looking to increase his knowledge on how exactly grains and different types of carbs can affect your brain.

I really enjoyed the writer's style, it helped keep me engaged and interested in the content, unlike other books on the same subject. The most interesting part is that I was able to lose a significant amount of weight just by following some of the guidelines in the book. I also took a supplement called Garcinia Cambogia that has only accelerated my weight loss.

I have a child with ADHD so I really enjoyed the fact that ADHD and different types of gluten sensitivity were covered in grain brain. Since I have previously been on the primal diet, I knew some of the information since the two diets were similar, but not exactly the same. Prior to reading it I believed that gluten free and grain free were exactly the same which is not always the case.

I recommend that anyone read this book, it's a quick read and contains a ton of great information that can be extremely helpful. I was lucky to get this book as a gift from my lovely brother in law (Marcus) and really owe him one for this great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT book! A gamechanger!, August 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book is phenomenal. There is SO much good information in here. I'm not a fast reader, but I read this book in one day; I couldn't put it down. The writing style is very easy to understand and interesting. The info is invaluable. This is one of the gamechanger books!

There are so many things to learn about. Such as! The fatter you get, the more your brain shrinks (this explains a lot for me)! And the portion of your brain that shrinks is the cognitive and memory portions. And the fact that diabetes sets you up for dementia and Alzheimer's. There is lots of information on inflammation and its role in many illnesses, including nervous and brain diseases. There is also info in here on depression and how a lot of it is related to gluten sensitivity. ADHD is covered in depth. This book should enable many people to get off medications if they will try this lifestyle. I have easily thought of a dozen people I think would be helped by reading it. If I could, I would order multiple copies to give away. This book has so much really important information for so many people.

There was much information on gluten sensitivity and insulin sensitivity. He went into lots of great detail on how many different ways the diet influences your body and your state of health (or disease)! I am going to reread this book and make lots of notes on all this important information (that's how good this book is; I normally don't do that).

A lot of the information in this book I knew about from studying up on the Paleo diet. The diet is very similar to Paleo, but not the same; I noticed a few differences. (For example, this book is for gluten free whereas Paleo is straight grain free.)

I really think it would be worth combining this protocol with the one Byron Richards has in Mastering Leptin. He goes very deeply into hormone work with leptin, insulin, gherin, etc. He advocates meal spacing and not snacking, which really works wonders at taking away hunger. (It seems that snacking on anything, even if it's celery, gets all the hormones going that need to be resting between meals. Not good for leptin or insulin resistance, or for fat burning. His is another phenomenal book.)

I definitely recommend this book for everyone. It contains so many different types of information that I think it will be helpful for everyone. I consider myself very lucky to have run across this book; I am definitely going to buy more books by this author!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a "Must Read" for Brain Health, August 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I saw this title, I knew I had to read it. "Grain Brain" brought images of a cow at a computer. Since I am very interested in both the mind and good health, I wanted to learn more. Like so many people, I want to do anything I can to avoid dementia and Alzheimer's.

So, who is Dr. Perlmutter and why should we listen to him? It turns out that he is one of the leading integrative medicine neurologists in North America today. He is the author of The Better Brain Book: The Best Tool for Improving Memory and Sharpness and Preventing Aging of the Brain and Power Up Your Brain. Like Dr. Oz and Dr. Andrew Weil, he integrates conventional medicine diagnosis and treatment with the latest innovations in nutritional and environmental medicine. I love medical doctors who have traditional training and look for prevention rather than cure.

Dr. Perlmutter makes a bold promise that this program can help people with:
* ADHD
* Depression
* Diabetes
* Epilepsy
* Insomnia
* Intestinal problems
* Memory problems and much more

According to Dr. Perlmutter, the number one cause of brain disease is inflammation. Inflammation is our body's natural response to some kind of stress in the body. Prolonged inflammation leads to a reduction of cellular function followed by cellular destruction. This damages your body and your brain.

So, where is this inflammation coming from? The main source is processed food. The sugars, simple carbs, some fruits and fruity drinks and fast foods that are causing diabetes are also causing brain degeneration. It is causing our bodies and brains to age prematurely due to oxidation - a biological type of "rusting". Gluten is also our new mortal enemy.

How do we avoid this fate worse than death? (or maybe it is death). Here are a few of Dr. Perlmutter's suggestions.

* Skip inflammatory oils like canola or corn oil. Instead, reach for alternatives like coconut or
extra virgin olive oil (I have started popping my popcorn in coconut oil - delicious!)
* Incorporate only grass-fed meats into your diet (corn fed meat lacks omega-3)
* To get more omega-3s in your diet, reach for supplements like DHA, ALA or fish oil.
* Avoid excess fruit & fruit juice. Occasional fruit is OK. Reach for apples or berries.
* Get plenty of sleep
* Exercise often (230% less chance of Alzheimer's)
* Occasional one-day fast (as the seasons change)
* Get enough Vitamin D

The book is very easy to read and loaded with great information. Dr Perlmutter has a great ability to make medical mumbo-jumbo clear and understandable. There are numerous studies cited, and the last section includes easy to follow recipes. If you have read any of Dr. Daniel Amen's books like The Amen Solution: The Brain Healthy Way to Get Thinner, Smarter, Happier, you will find many similarities.
If you want to read more about the effects of inflammation on your body, you might want to check out Meals That Heal Inflammation: Embrace Healthy Living and Eliminate Pain, One Meal at at Time.

1,074 of 1,255 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Loaded with misinformation, March 8, 2014
I had high hopes of learning something from this book. As a physician, I read the actual articles referenced and unfortunately, Dr. Perlmutter was so intent in proven his thesis (a "True Believer") that he very badly contorted what he said were the results in almost every study he used to back up his book. I would encourage anyone reading this book to look up the references that he provides - it's pretty easy to just Google the title of the article and you will at least get a summary if not the whole article. I quit reading about half way through the book because in almost every case he badly misinterpreted the studies he quoted. As an example, reference 25 in Chapter 4 (Title: Effects of Dietary Composition on Energy Expenditure During Weight-Loss Maintenance) compared people on a high glycemic diet, a low glycemic diet (whole grain) and a very low carbohydrate (high fat/meat) diet. This study did show a slight improvement in metabolic syndrome components in the low carb diet over the low glycemic diet, but the low carb diet raised cortisol and CRP (C-Reactive Protein) levels considerable. Previous studies have shown a 5-fold (that's 500%!) increase in cardiovascular mortality with the higher levels of cortisol and CRP and thus the conclusion of the study authors was that the low carb diet was too dangerous to recommend. The only part of the study reported by Dr. Perlmutter was that that the metabolic syndrome parameters were better - nothing about the cortisol and CRP elevation which was far more important.

All societies with extraordinary longevity, and there are quite a few, are distinctly similar in several key factors. All eat a primarily plant based diet, all have moderate physical activity most of the day, and all have strong social structure with both family and community. If you want to read a book about how to live a long healthy life, read "The Blue Zones" by Dan Buettner. In it he analyzes the lives of these peoples who so frequently live into their 100's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ditch Your Grain Brain For A Fat-Filled Frontal Lobe, September 12, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Occasionally there will be a book that will come out of nowhere, get published, and ultimately shared with the world that goes on to quite literally change the course of the future by dramatically shifting the way we live our lives on a daily basis. And when that book is one about a subject as critically important as our health and is based on a strong foundation in solid, scientific nutritional principles, the significance of that event becomes magnified well beyond just some fascinating part of mankind's literary history.

A book of this magnitude provides perhaps some of the most life-changing information that could very well tear down some of those long-held, deeply-rooted societal modes of thinking that have become such a mindless part of the conventional wisdom of our day. These common ideas that make up our basic cultural belief system are sometimes dead wrong and need to be corrected through proper education and a bit of convincing to get people to make a change when change is warranted. Although trying to alter what people believe about anything is a proverbial uphill battle, it can, it must, and it has been done many times before.

Here are five key nutritional health books that would fit that paradigm-shifting criteria released in the past 100 years:

- Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Dr. Weston A. Price

- Pure, White, and Deadly: How Sugar Is Killing Us and What We Can Do to Stop It by Dr. John Yudkin

- The Paleo Diet Revised: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Foods You Were Designed to Eat by Dr. Loren Cordain

- Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health by Gary Taubes

- Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health by Dr. William Davis

Now we can add to that prestigious list yet another one that can and should be influential is changing the minds of everyone who reads it-LITERALLY! It's called Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar-Your Brain's Silent Killers by a famed neurologist named Dr. David Perlmutter. The information contained in this book is some of the most comprehensive, cutting-edge stuff on how the body works, the impact that nutrition plays on it, and why everything we do about our health really boils down to keeping our brains functioning at the highest levels. I hope you're ready for what you are going to read in Grain Brain because it has the great potential to change everything you thought you ever knew about diet and health. Hold on tight, the information in this book is Earth-shattering stuff but incredibly relevant now more than ever before!

As someone who follows the very latest information on nutritional health through my work at "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb," most of what I read in Grain Brain was not new to me. But for the general public who has unfortunately not been enlightened to this yet, the idea that the consumption of carbohydrates, even from the so-called healthy sources such as whole grains, is directly responsible for destroying the brain is mind-blowing! With people dutifully consuming copious amounts of these "healthy" whole grains along with the Standard American Diet consisting of other carbohydrate-rich foods such as refined flours, sugars and starches while simultaneously eschewing truly healthy real, whole brain fuel foods that contain sources of dietary saturated fat and cholesterol (such as eggs and fatty red meats), Dr. Perlmutter puts forth the notion that this has led to debilitating and incurable brain diseases such as dementia. And he says it is completely preventable if we flip the dietary advice we've always heard is healthy on its head-cut the carbs and increase the fat in your diet! Because you can't undo the damage that's done to your brain once dementia sets it, it is incumbent upon you to take action on this NOW while you still have your mental faculties to do so.

Grain Brain makes a rather compelling case to shift your diet away from the consumption of grains, sugars and other culprit carbohydrates that are leading to the early signs of neurological health problems such as migraines, seizures, mood changes, sexual dysfunction, and ADHD which then progresses to more advanced issues like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. How many of us have watched friends and family members deal with this exact thing and wondered how it could possibly be happening? We chalk it up to old age, but what if what we're eating right now could be the very thing that leads us down a similar path to neurodegeneration? That's precisely what this book is trying to help you prevent from happening.

Although blood sugar is generally seen by most people as something only a diabetic needs to be concerned about, Dr. Perlmutter contends that keeping it within a range of 70-100 mg/dL is ESSENTIAL to maintaining proper brain health (and getting a glucometer to test your blood glucose levels is so incredibly easy by getting a monitor from your local Walmart or pharmacy-EVERYONE should own one of these devices and know what their blood sugar is doing). He recommends several other critical health tests you need to be asking your doctor about if you want to protect what's in that head of yours! As you read through Grain Brain, you'll begin to realize why these tests are so important, how controlling chronic inflammation is the ultimate goal, what dietary changes are necessary that will very likely go against everything you've ever heard before about nutrition and its relationship to your health, and some rather simple things you can do to attain mental stability and literally rehabilitate your brain from the damage you've inflicted upon it because of your poor nutritional choices. It may not be too late if you take the advice of this brain health doctor who has seen thousands upon thousands of patients get their life back again by implementing easy dietary changes that radically improved their health and life forever.

If you're concerned about how to do this, Dr. Perlmutter doesn't leave you meandering in the wilderness with what is very likely brand new information to so many people that he provided throughout Grain Brain. He offers up a Four-Week Plan Of Action in the back of the book that walks you through everything you need to do to get back on track again. From testing to supplementation, cleaning out your kitchen to restocking it with the truly health foods (again, he's redefining what "healthy" means), and even a few words on the benefits of engaging in intermittent fasting (GASP!)-what to do and why you're doing it is very clearly explained in language that just makes sense. Don't be afraid to give this a go for yourself. It could very well enhance and extend the length and quality of your life more than any drug you could ever take in the name of getting healthy.

Grain Brain is destined to become an instant classic as a key paradigm-shifting nutritional health book that will be revered for many years to come! GET YOUR COPY TODAY and start experiencing the kind of health you deserve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, written in an easy to understand style (unlike his previous book), & better than wheat belly book, September 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I think Perlmutter is just great - I've seen him present at the ABIHM board certification conference and I was blown away by the information he provided, as well as amazing case examples he presented, pictures, patient testimonials and all. After that conference I purchased his previous book, Power up your brain, and while I enjoyed it, it was written in a very dry style. My husband put that one down after only a few pages. This book is much different, very well written in an easy for anyone to understand conversational style. There is a critical review of the book claiming that his statements are unsubstantiated - this is just not true. The issue is that because this is for layman, he doesn't go citing and referencing every study or bit of evidence after each statement (that would be boring and painful for most readers). Look to his other books if you'd like to see more references, as they're written in more of that type of style.

When reviewing a book it is important to take into consideration the prime audience - who the book is written for - and write the review based on that. This books is specifically for non-medically trained folks, and for that group it is written very well. I believe the questionnaires included are helpful for most folks, as it helps them to see how the information more directly applies to them.

If you are looking for a very well written, easy to read book by a neurologist who is also board certified in holistic and integrative medicine that focuses on how to optimize your brain health (physically, emotionally, chemically) then this is the book to get. It will explain why sugar, carbs and modern grains are damaging to you in more ways than one. It will give you a plan to help prevent further damage and deterioration of your mental state and some times even reverse existing damage. The information he is basing his recommendations on is not voo-doo or otherwise sketchy science, but well established knowledge and facts that have been proven via functional MRI's and other direct measured testing as well as standard research methods.

Great book - highly recommended. If you're trying to decide between this one and wheat belly Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health, go for this one. I found it to be better written, more informative and absolutely a more holistic (meaning looking at your overall health and wellness, versus focusing on one aspect of it) than the wheat belly, which is mostly focused solely on weight loss.

889 of 1,065 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars self-help diet book, August 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book has good advice: if we eat as described and follow the other guidelines, we'll certainly be much healthier and happier.

However, the blurb make it sound like this is a serious book on health that goes though the various issues with some depth of information; and that it concentrates on the specific (non-celiac) problems with wheat.

In fact, this is actually a self-help/diet book, full of sensantional comments and unsupported statements: it has quizes to determine if you have problems (you do), a 4-week programs to save yourself, and the obligatory section of recipes. It doesn't actually answer my questions on gluten, and seems to be much more focused on overall health via the entire diet, as well as exercise and sleep, rather than having any real focus on grains or wheat.

If you like this genre of self-help diet book, it's a great resource. There are truths in this book, and the resulting advice is, I think, correct - it would certainly be very helpful for many people.

Personally, I'm mostly annoyed. I was already on board with carbs-are-bad and butter-is-good (though I am not eating low-carb by any means), and am wondering about wheat. The author doesn't provide a scientific discussion of the issues; there's no supporting information or evidence for many statements (either for reasonable or questionable statements); and discussion is simplified to meaninglessness. Passionate declarations don't convince me as much as basic science, approached with balance and reason... so, alas, this book does not seem to be the one that will convince me to further change my diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS!, December 21, 2013
This is a book that everyone should read! 6 years ago I was experiencing some neurological symptoms and a 30 day "diet" removing the possible culprits...namely wheat...resolved them all. I felt amazing and years younger, not to mention pounds lighter. I have not touched the stuff since. I was so amazed that what I ate could have such an impact on my well being that I have been following the research over the years, and also watched as many of my friends and family have similar symptoms. I have suggested to them to try what I did, and they felt it was to "extreme" and resisted. Finally, a book by a neurologist confirming what I know and have learned. I gave this book also as a gift to family members and they are finally listening and trying, with the same excellent results. Everyone should give this a chance before rushing to take medicines that may not ultimately be needed.

Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs,  and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers
$27.00 $16.55