Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th

on October 23, 2013
I'm 68 years old, forgetting everything, obese and out of shape. I've lost and gained weight so many times I could have made three different people. I didn't feel like doing anything, much less exercise. My nails were non-existent, my hair limp and thinning.

UNTIL I read this book! In three weeks of following this new way of living (it is NOT just a diet!) I've lost 12 lbs, have happily started an exercise program, and have more energy than I've had in years! I'm never hungry, I get to eat all kinds of meats and cheeses and veggies, and I don't even bother counting calories. The supplements he recommends have made an almost instant difference - my nails are stronger and growing long, my skin is better, and my overall mood is vastly improved. This will be my way of life from here on out, and I strongly recommend this book to everyone. It was like taking blinders off, and being able to see again. Thank you, Dr Perlmutter, for this wonderful book, and for the back up help from your website!
5151 comments|874 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2013
This book is absolutely amazing. It is chock full of great information for the dieter who is looking to increase his knowledge on how exactly grains and different types of carbs can affect your brain.

I really enjoyed the writer's style, it helped keep me engaged and interested in the content, unlike other books on the same subject. The most interesting part is that I was able to lose a significant amount of weight just by following some of the guidelines in the book. I also took a supplement called Garcinia Cambogia that has only accelerated my weight loss.

I have a child with ADHD so I really enjoyed the fact that ADHD and different types of gluten sensitivity were covered in grain brain. Since I have previously been on the primal diet, I knew some of the information since the two diets were similar, but not exactly the same. Prior to reading it I believed that gluten free and grain free were exactly the same which is not always the case.

I recommend that anyone read this book, it's a quick read and contains a ton of great information that can be extremely helpful. I was lucky to get this book as a gift from my lovely brother in law (Marcus) and really owe him one for this great read.
1111 comments|1,306 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have long been plagued by many of the health issues that Dr. Perlmutter addresses in `Grain Brain', and have been seeking answers, including reading many `health diet' books. I even attended an all-vegetarian cooking school in order to learn more about how to better my health after having cancer. In short, THIS IS THE BOOK with the information that I have been searching for so many years for. Dr. Perlmutter is unique among doctors, because he is a board-certified Neurologist, a fellow of the American College of Nutrition (the only doctor in the country who is both), and a fellow of the American Board of Integrative and Holistic Medicine. His book is based on his very real patients at his own practice, and he cites huge amounts of research and studies to back up his claims. Most of us realize that American has become a very sick nation, with little being done in the way of preventative medicine, because doctors are taught to diagnose disease and prescribe a treatment. They are not trained in nutrition, and most base their advice (if any) about nutrition on misguided dietary principles. One cartoon says it very well "The high-carb diet I put you on 20 years ago gave you diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease (and brain disease). Oops"

The other reviews tell you what this book is about, how you should eliminate gluten and most carbs, and most fruits and sugar, get regular exercise, and sleep well, in order to have a healthy brain (and body). The writing style is very easy for anyone to understand the concepts and principles behind the plan. There are recipes and of course lists of foods to help get you going on the plan. I literally could not put this book down once I started it. I have started the plan, and am extremely excited about it. I would love to give the book to everyone I know, and everyone I meet!
4949 comments|690 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2013
I came across the ketogenic low carb, high fat diet by accident. Many triathletes are using the diet to get a racer's edge. I am a marathon runner. I heard about the diet and gave it a go. In 3 months, I lost 40 pounds. The amazing thing is I just changed my diet. I didn't starve myself or anything. My GI problems went away. I now have a ton of energy all day...even at 4PM. My brain fog has disappeared. I can concentrate on tasks. I love drinking Dave Asprey's Bulletproof coffee with butter, and MCT oil every morning. It is a great feeling to get my health back. For the longest time I was following the government recommendations. I eat the right foods, but I was gaining weight and feeling bad. I thought I needed to exercise to lose the weight. But, that didn't work. Then I started eating good fat like butter, coconut oil, bacon, cream, and beef. The body fat literally melted off. Eat fat, get thin.

David Perlmutter in his book "Grain Brain" explains why a person should be eating a low carb, high fat diet. The benefits of eating real food are enormous. A person is more healthy, and feels so much better. The brain loves fat. The body functions a peak performance with a high fat, low carb diet. It really works. The book "Grain Brain" rocks!!
44 comments|126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2014
Dr. Perlmutter hits the nail of obesity and dementia squarely on the head! My husband and I are living proof of this author's great book. My husband is a type II diabetic and suffered for over 25 years with the "care" he was receiving from well intentioned but mis-informed / misguided physicians who relied on medications to improve his health. In 2002 he was sent to an Endogrinologist who put him on insulin after his primary care doctor told him there was "nothing more that I can do for you."

He started on 5 units of insulin and withIn 12 monhs he was up to 43 units! His weight balooned up to 280 pounds (he is 5' 10"). He suffered fron painful neuropathy for nearly 20 years and was on pain meds (Neurontin) to help ease the pain. The neuropathy in his feet limited his walking to about 75 feet at any one given time. He was irritable and quick to anger. He could not and did not want to do anything...everything was an effort.

In the summer of 2002, we went to Cedar Point amusement park with our family. My husband slowly made his way to the middle of the park. He could not make it back! We had to get a wheelchair to get him back to the park entrance I knew this was the beginning of his rapid decline. A short time later, I told my grown children that In 6 months I would be pushing dad around in a wheelchair!

Our lives changed in 2003 when I read a book. Yes, reading a book can, if you practice the message, change your life. I believe this book, Grain Brain by Dr. Perlmutter has that same capacity to change lives...your life!

The book I read led me to study all I could about diabetes and I've been doing that for the last 11 years. It is my passion now to pass along the message on How We Beat Diabetes.

I created a program for my husband and in 2003 within 3 months of going on a low carb diet, my husband came off ALL insulin and never looked back! Within 9 months he lost 80 pounds and a short time later lost another 20 pounds for a total weight loss of 100 pounds! And he has kept it off!

Within one year of going on low carb and exercise program, my wonderful husband, Dick, walked in 2 5K races and finished! His painful neuropathy was gone! Yes, GONE!

Insulin is gone, pain medication is gone, diuretics are gone, statins are gone, Irritability and anger are gone! All the horrific effects from his diabetes are gone. In 2003 after a very brief time on low carb, I had my husband back!! His energy levels went through the roof? My kids tell me that the first set of grandchildren (the older grandkids) know a different grandfather than the second set (our youngest grandkids).

In 2012, we went to Disney World. Dick walked from 8:30am until 11:45pm with only a short 2 hour break (which we all needed). I love Disney but my joy was enhanced because I was aware of Dick's ability to walk that park without pain. My favorite photo from that trip is the one of him getting off the monorail at 11:45 pm with a big smile on his face!!

Dr. Perlmutter's book, "Grain Brain" confirms everything we did and continue to do to stay healthy. I applaud and thank Dr. Perlmutter for this awesome book. We present our story to people everywhere we go and present classes on How We Beat Diabetes. Dr. Perlmutter's book "Grain Brain" is in the top 10 books that we highly recommend to our audiences.

By the way if you are thinking that you're too old for these changes to happen to you, that you've had diabetes or any of the other chronic illnesses that Dr. Perlmutter talks about in Grain Brain, let me assure you that it is NEVER too late! My husband was 64 years old when we started low carb lifestyle. He is now 75 years young!

A Cleveland Clinic doctor who recently heard our story, looked at my husband and said, "Dick, do you know you'd be dead by now if it wasn't for Mary's program!" Those words sent a chill because we knew he was right!

This wonderful book, "Grain Brain by Dr. Perlmutter can and will change your life! Read it and see how you too can live a better life like we are doing! God bless you and God bless Dr. Perlmutter!
on March 8, 2014
I had high hopes of learning something from this book. As a physician, I read the actual articles referenced and unfortunately, Dr. Perlmutter was so intent in proven his thesis (a "True Believer") that he very badly contorted what he said were the results in almost every study he used to back up his book. I would encourage anyone reading this book to look up the references that he provides - it's pretty easy to just Google the title of the article and you will at least get a summary if not the whole article. I quit reading about half way through the book because in almost every case he badly misinterpreted the studies he quoted. As an example, reference 25 in Chapter 4 (Title: Effects of Dietary Composition on Energy Expenditure During Weight-Loss Maintenance) compared people on a high glycemic diet, a low glycemic diet (whole grain) and a very low carbohydrate (high fat/meat) diet. This study did show a slight improvement in metabolic syndrome components in the low carb diet over the low glycemic diet, but the low carb diet raised cortisol and CRP (C-Reactive Protein) levels considerable. Previous studies have shown a 5-fold (that's 500%!) increase in cardiovascular mortality with the higher levels of cortisol and CRP and thus the conclusion of the study authors was that the low carb diet was too dangerous to recommend. The only part of the study reported by Dr. Perlmutter was that that the metabolic syndrome parameters were better - nothing about the cortisol and CRP elevation which was far more important.

All societies with extraordinary longevity, and there are quite a few, are distinctly similar in several key factors. All eat a primarily plant based diet, all have moderate physical activity most of the day, and all have strong social structure with both family and community. If you want to read a book about how to live a long healthy life, read "The Blue Zones" by Dan Buettner. In it he analyzes the lives of these peoples who so frequently live into their 100's.
165165 comments|1,976 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 18, 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is phenomenal. There is SO much good information in here. I'm not a fast reader, but I read this book in one day; I couldn't put it down. The writing style is very easy to understand and interesting. The info is invaluable. This is one of the gamechanger books!

There are so many things to learn about. Such as! The fatter you get, the more your brain shrinks (this explains a lot for me)! And the portion of your brain that shrinks is the cognitive and memory portions. And the fact that diabetes sets you up for dementia and Alzheimer's. There is lots of information on inflammation and its role in many illnesses, including nervous and brain diseases. There is also info in here on depression and how a lot of it is related to gluten sensitivity. ADHD is covered in depth. This book should enable many people to get off medications if they will try this lifestyle. I have easily thought of a dozen people I think would be helped by reading it. If I could, I would order multiple copies to give away. This book has so much really important information for so many people.

There was much information on gluten sensitivity and insulin sensitivity. He went into lots of great detail on how many different ways the diet influences your body and your state of health (or disease)! I am going to reread this book and make lots of notes on all this important information (that's how good this book is; I normally don't do that).

A lot of the information in this book I knew about from studying up on the Paleo diet. The diet is very similar to Paleo, but not the same; I noticed a few differences. (For example, this book is for gluten free whereas Paleo is straight grain free.)

I really think it would be worth combining this protocol with the one Byron Richards has in Mastering Leptin. He goes very deeply into hormone work with leptin, insulin, gherin, etc. He advocates meal spacing and not snacking, which really works wonders at taking away hunger. (It seems that snacking on anything, even if it's celery, gets all the hormones going that need to be resting between meals. Not good for leptin or insulin resistance, or for fat burning. His is another phenomenal book.)

I definitely recommend this book for everyone. It contains so many different types of information that I think it will be helpful for everyone. I consider myself very lucky to have run across this book; I am definitely going to buy more books by this author!
2424 comments|712 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2014
Some of this book seems like good advice e.g. eliminating simple carbs & processed/packaged foods, and switching to high-quality (probably organic) vegetables and high-quality meat & eggs (e.g. genuine PASTURE-raised flesh and PASTURE-raised eggs, not the meaningless "free range chicken" nonsense one sees in stores & on restaurant menus).
Some of this book seems like a big stretch, e.g. the assumptions & proclamations about what our ancestors used to eat (i.e. almost all fatty animal products, very few fruits/vegetables). I consider those statements about the nutritional makeup of our ancestors to be a series of presumptuous, unsupportable statements that should be taken with several grains of salt.
As intellectual & informational balance to Perlmutter, I recommend that all thinking people also read at minimum "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan and "Reversing Diabetes [sic]" by Dr. Neal Barnard.
Not disputing Perlmutter's recommendations, because as I said above, some of his advice IMO has merit, but in a one-year trial I myself have lost most of my visible body fat and achieved blood-chemistry and BMI results as good or better than Perlmutter's ideal goals, by adhering to the strictly whole, plant-based foods, low-fat, low-glycemic-index dietary recommendations proposed by Neal Barnard ("Reversing Diabetes"),T. Colin Campbell ("The China Study") & Caldwell Esselstyn ("Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease"). The only supplements I take are vitamins B12 and D3.
IMO, in "Grain Brain" Perlmutter makes some good points that seem to have merit, but also makes some seemingly unsupportable statements/proclamations that make me raise an eyebrow about following his recommendations unquestioningly. Before going whole-hog for any of these nutrition-for-life books, I highly recommend reading a balance of viewpoints.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I saw this title, I knew I had to read it. "Grain Brain" brought images of a cow at a computer. Since I am very interested in both the mind and good health, I wanted to learn more. Like so many people, I want to do anything I can to avoid dementia and Alzheimer's.

So, who is Dr. Perlmutter and why should we listen to him? It turns out that he is one of the leading integrative medicine neurologists in North America today. He is the author of The Better Brain Book: The Best Tool for Improving Memory and Sharpness and Preventing Aging of the Brain and Power Up Your Brain. Like Dr. Oz and Dr. Andrew Weil, he integrates conventional medicine diagnosis and treatment with the latest innovations in nutritional and environmental medicine. I love medical doctors who have traditional training and look for prevention rather than cure.

Dr. Perlmutter makes a bold promise that this program can help people with:
* ADHD
* Depression
* Diabetes
* Epilepsy
* Insomnia
* Intestinal problems
* Memory problems and much more

According to Dr. Perlmutter, the number one cause of brain disease is inflammation. Inflammation is our body's natural response to some kind of stress in the body. Prolonged inflammation leads to a reduction of cellular function followed by cellular destruction. This damages your body and your brain.

So, where is this inflammation coming from? The main source is processed food. The sugars, simple carbs, some fruits and fruity drinks and fast foods that are causing diabetes are also causing brain degeneration. It is causing our bodies and brains to age prematurely due to oxidation - a biological type of "rusting". Gluten is also our new mortal enemy.

How do we avoid this fate worse than death? (or maybe it is death). Here are a few of Dr. Perlmutter's suggestions.

* Skip inflammatory oils like canola or corn oil. Instead, reach for alternatives like coconut or
extra virgin olive oil (I have started popping my popcorn in coconut oil - delicious!)
* Incorporate only grass-fed meats into your diet (corn fed meat lacks omega-3)
* To get more omega-3s in your diet, reach for supplements like DHA, ALA or fish oil.
* Avoid excess fruit & fruit juice. Occasional fruit is OK. Reach for apples or berries.
* Get plenty of sleep
* Exercise often (230% less chance of Alzheimer's)
* Occasional one-day fast (as the seasons change)
* Get enough Vitamin D

The book is very easy to read and loaded with great information. Dr Perlmutter has a great ability to make medical mumbo-jumbo clear and understandable. There are numerous studies cited, and the last section includes easy to follow recipes. If you have read any of Dr. Daniel Amen's books like The Amen Solution: The Brain Healthy Way to Get Thinner, Smarter, Happier, you will find many similarities.
If you want to read more about the effects of inflammation on your body, you might want to check out Meals That Heal Inflammation: Embrace Healthy Living and Eliminate Pain, One Meal at at Time.
1919 comments|369 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2014
What Grain Brain Did for Me

I read the book, Grain Brain by David Perlmutter, MD right before Christmas of 2013. It changed everything I thought I knew about food and its relationship to health. You really should read it. I don’t think we can change how we eat without changing how we feel about food. This book did that for me. I’ve lost (at last check) 18.2 lbs (April 26, 2014), and that’s without exercise, which I’ve never been able to do. It’s also without going around hungry, which all other diets have made me do. You do not count calories or carbs, or fats, or anything. You just eat what’s good for you: Fat - lots of it, meats, vegetables, eggs, cheese, salads, nuts, seeds (my new favorite snack is Pepitas, which they have at Publix). I eat all I want, and when I’ve had enough, that’s it. I eat a lot less than I used to because I’m getting enough fat in my diet, and not stuffing myself with useless breads, crackers, chips, and pasta – which just make me hungrier and hungrier. Of course, you know me – those were my favorites. You could not pay me now to eat that stuff.

Read the book, please! It will change your health, not just the scale. What I’ve gained are increased energy, lots less brain fog, joints moving better (do not hurt all the time), less headaches – a LOT less, tummy troubles are now non-existent, and before, I was always gaseous or had diarrhea, or just was hurting in general. Those are completely gone. Can you imagine not feeling sick at your stomach? I couldn’t either. It was a constant for me, in some form or fashion, ALL THE TIME.

My labs were checked in February, after just two months, and my doc was blown away. I was no longer in the diabetic range and my liver functions had normalized. She couldn’t believe how much better I said I felt. My depression has lifted immensely. I could go on all day about how much better I feel, but I want YOU to feel better too. I’m not asking you to change anything. I’m just asking you to read this book. You make up your mind. You decide what’s best for you. I do not do everything exactly like the book says. I have picked and chosen what I think is best for me. The best thing about this, the author is not just one man with a theory. He backs up everything he says with research from around the globe. He really knows his stuff. He also has a good website with a lot of articles to read: [...] If you want your health back, it’s time to read, Grain Brain!