Grainy picture or is just my tv?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 9, 2012 2:57:25 PM PDT
I've been watching TNG on Blu Ray and I've noticed some very grainy textures(especially dark colors/scenes) in the episodes. I was watching "Where No One Has Gone Before" yesterday and I had to turn it off because the picture quality was so bad. I've tried adjusting my Picture setting on my 40" Sony LCD, but it hasn't corrected the problem. When I'm watching HD movies on cable, I don't run into this problem. Maybe my TV is craping out, or maybe it's because I playing thru my PS3? Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone run into similar problems? I really want to keep watching TNG in the Blu Ray format, but my picture quality is far from what's been mentioned from other reviewers. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 10:14:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2012 10:15:09 PM PDT
J. Martin says:
*facepalm*

What you're seeing is film grain, something which is supposed to be their to make up the picture and the detail, and is the last thing you want to do is remove it. It is very grainy because this is 1980s material, an era where they used very cheap film stock, so you've got to expect this, especially when it's a TV show.

The picture quality is fantastic and the reviews are accurate, because it is an accurate representation of the original film elements. It's also far better than the cr@ppy DVDs, just compare the two: the colors are now accurate and not wash-out, the picture looks clean and fresh, the list is endless. This is easily one of if not the biggest upgrade from DVD to Blu-ray ever, due to how the original episodes were edited together.

Blu-ray is not meant to make films/TV shows all bright, shiny and glossy, it's meant to be an accurate representation of the original source material, and TNG achieves this perfectly. So it's nothing to do with your TV or PS3, everything is perfect, you just need to understand that some stuff is grainy and get used to it. Grainy or otherwise it's still far better than the DVDs and is easily worth the upgrade.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 5:15:01 AM PDT
mc-Hotsauce says:
J. Martin

i too had the *facepalm* moment when i saw it...
lol
:)

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 11:01:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2012 12:30:26 PM PDT
Wow...sorry to be such a bother! I never had purchased the DVD's of TNG, so I can't compare the two. I've just been watching reruns of it the past few years on TV and when I heard they were going to clean it up and release it on Blu Ray, I was very excited to say the least. I just don't understand how some episodes can look so good and then another look pretty bad in comparison, especially if they're all coming from the same film stock? Also, I'm not trying to say everything looks bad. The close ups on the actor's faces, ship detail, colors are all phenomenal. I'm just not a techinal whiz by any means(as you can tell) and I just assumed everything would look great. It's just a little jarring to go from a clean, crisp image to a grainy one within seconds. Thanks for explaining it for me though. I just wanted to make sure my set was working correctly and that other people weren't running into the same problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 10:36:50 PM PDT
J. Martin says:
Don't take what I wrote the wrong way, I wasn't writing it with a harsh or abrupt tone. I'm happy to give information to anyone if I know the answer, it's simply when people complain about a grainy image it can annoy me quite a bit. But I'll admit maybe I started my post with the wrong tone with the *faceplam*.

It is also worth pointing out the reason some shots look grainier than others is because they would have used a variety of different film stock, some with more gain than others, so they wouldn't have come from the same film stock. Yes, all the film prints exist in the same place now, more or less, but it's pretty common with older films and TV shows to use a variety of film stock.

I'm no technical wiz myself, but I do understand the basics and this is just one example. I couldn't tell you the kinds of cameras used for the show and I'm pretty useless when it comes to encoding, but the simple stuff I know. Film grain though something everyone buying Blu-ray should understand, because otherwise we end up with terrible releases like 'Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition', which are full of DNR or EE.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 2:42:46 AM PDT
You mean Digital Noise Reduction and Edge Enhancement? (for those that are not familar with those technical acronyms)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 10:32:44 AM PDT
Joe says:
Grain is also caused by how the lens picks up light. You can do it with your own eyes. Go in a black room and watch you eye adjust to it. You own eyes become grainy. The light photons are causing this.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 10:17:40 PM PDT
mat says:
But then generally TOS blu-ray is lot less grainy compared to TNG blu-ray. Maybe in the 60s all film stock are pretty standard in quality and no cheap version are available back then?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 6:48:21 PM PST
Wayne Klein says:
J. Martin-

This has nothing to do with using cheap film stock--grainy film stock was not uncommon at the time.

During season two the producers experimented with other film stocks to try and find one that would provide a happy medium.

Film stocks in the late 80's allowed for the use of less light in shots but the use of these more sensitive stocks also resulted in more noticeable fine grain with some of series and movies from this era.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Aug 9, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Season 1 [Blu-ray]
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Season 1 [Blu-ray] by Levar Burton (Blu-ray - 2012)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (1,226)