4.0 out of 5 stars Grammar Smart, 2nd Edition
Published on December 25, 2006 by Immortalix

3.0 out of 5 stars Good concept, but missed the target.
Published on October 13, 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Good concept, but missed the target., October 13, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Grammar Smart: A Guide to Perfect Usage, 2nd Edition (Paperback)
Grammar is boring, frustrating, and complex. At least, that's the impression I got from taking it in school. This book attempts to take a fun (well, not-so-boring) approach to explain it all... And for the most part it does well. It's concise, and the examples are good. Where things fall apart is when the book refers to parts of grammar that haven't been explained yet. For example, starting with Quick Quiz #8 (page 25), the reader is asked to identify prepositional phrases, but phrases and clauses aren't covered until page 59. Naturally, you'll miss a lot of the questions. The answers to the quizzes seldom have explanations. If an answer seems to contradict a grammar rule or just not make sense, you're left hanging. Discouraging? You bet. If you were confused by grammar in school, this book may help -- but don't expect it to answer all your questions or eliminate frustration with the topic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grammar Smart, 2nd Edition, December 25, 2006
Immortalix (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
I think this book is great. It tells us everything, but since its purpose is to serve as a reference book, I thought the outside remarks, such as "nobody expects you to know everything" is really not needed. I found out a lot about grammar from this book. However, some information needs to be explained further. They don't have enough examples of different types of sentences for every component in writing. The main problem with this book is that my English teacher is requiring the class to practically memorize the whole book and get tested on it, but this is a personal problem and has nothing to do with the quality of this book. I give this book 5 stars for its overall review of grammar. Minus 1 star for lack of examples. Thus, 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of bang for the buck, October 21, 2008
[[ASIN:0375762159 Grammar Smart, 2nd Edition (Smart Guides)]
I have required all my students to purchase this book. {I teach English at the college level.] It is the clearest, most comprehensible discussion of English grammar that I have ever seen. It works for adults and kids. Best of all, there is no more "comma shaker in the sky."

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, July 1, 2014
Great book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Grammarian, August 27, 2013
This text is really helpful for someone who has mastered grammar and needs to polish up few areas, he/she feels uncomfortable in. It is a great text if you are looking for something that will solve your immediate needs. I give it a rating of four on overall. I learned a lot of things that I had forgotten in grammar. I will recommend for those who are preparing to take any admission test to college.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful tool for learning grammar in college, January 28, 2013
One of the classes I teach is essentially "Grammar on steroids for journalists". This makes an excellent supplemental text, and I encourage my students to purchase a copy. It's money well=spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me prepare for the SAT, May 26, 2010
The explanations were concise and the exercises were effective. I was able to work through it fairly quickly and learn many useful grammar rules that helped me on the SAT. It also helped me with writing essays and research papers. I scored over 2200 on the SAT, attend college on full merit scholarship, and now have my own book available on Amazon (High School Success and College Application). This book was a valuable tool and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good grammar guide, February 18, 2007
Great review for students of English, or as my students would write, "It's a grammer [sic] book."

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Grammar Book, not for the SAT, April 28, 2013
Gary (Cerritos, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a decent grammar book that goes into great detail on grammar but it often has things unexplained until later in it. Also, it is too deep for the SAT which is what I intended to use it for and it turned out useless. In fact, within 2 days I went from a 730 to a 600 using this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to test and more, February 4, 2013
I purchased this book in order to review for my upcoming state test. It offers quick and clear summaries as well as specific grammar rules. Excellent for anyone needing a refresher in grammar.

Grammar Smart: A Guide to Perfect Usage, 2nd Edition
Grammar Smart: A Guide to Perfect Usage, 2nd Edition by Princeton Review (Paperback - August 7, 2001)
$13.99 $9.64