5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing value
This isn't my favorite game bar none, life changing, or perfect, but it's definitely the most bang for the buck of any game I've played this generation.

But if you're considering it, you need to understand: this is Gran Turismo. It's not like other games. For better or worse, they are not attempting to make it like other games or fundamentally change their...
Published on November 24, 2010 by Dustin Farahnak

3.0 out of 5 stars Mis-directed emphasis; Substandard for such long development.
So GT5 would rate 4-stars normally, but given the fact that Polyphonic developed this for 6 years, expectations are higher, and this game doesn't meet them.

I'll start off with the good parts of the game first.

Graphics:
It's got outstanding graphics. The photo mode is insane. Yes, only 20% of the cars are fully scanned by GT5, but it's not a...
Published on November 28, 2010 by Adam D. Schmidt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 462 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars An Unbiased, Comprehensive Review of GT5, December 10, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gran Turismo 5 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I'm a fan of all things racing and have been anticipating the release of Gran Turismo 5 since I purchased my PS3 in 2007. After a longer than expected development time GT5 finally showed up at my door in Novermber 2010. Having played every previous Gran Turismo game with the exception GT on the PSP I pretty much knew what to expect from Polyphony's latest racer. Gran Turismo delivers in every key area, however, with varying degrees of success.

As everyone knows GT5 has been in development for a long, long time. Some folks interpreted that to mean that GT5 should be head and shoulders above the other racers on the market. I'm not sure who the blame should fall on, presumptuous fans or the gaming media which is frankly more in the business of generating web-hits than reporting factual news. The hype machine did a number on Gran Turismo 5. It's no surprise that some players are disappointed.

That being said, I'll start my review where most of the hype surrounding GT5 focused - the graphics. Yes, the graphics in GT5 are phenomenal. At times GT5 blurs the distinction between reality and video game. Then there are times where things or more specifically, the car models could look better. For those not in the know, GT5 introduces a new concept to GT - standard and premium cars. Standard cars are those vehicles that didn't receive the full graphical attention of the developers at Polyphony. The cars look good generally though pale in comparison to the Premium vehicles. I would describe the Standard cars as an upgraded car model from GT4. That isn't a jab at GT5 either as the graphics in GT4 are fantastic for their era. Premium cars on the other hand feature an insane amount of detail. It's difficult to describe just how close the Premium car models resemble their real-life counterparts. Polyphony has rendered these vehicles in painstaking detail down to the lug-nut on the wheels, stitching in the leather and tread on the tires. As of this writing there are 200 premium cars and 800 standard. Premium vehicles also feature a fully rendered cockpit unlike the Standard vehicles which feature the 3 familiar camera positions - chase, direct behind and bumper.

Gameplay will be immediately familiar to GT fans only better than ever. Clearly a large focus of the development time went to trying to create a realistic physics model. Cars realistically demonstrate over-steer and under-steer, wheels spinout when jamming down on the throttle harshly. It's incredible to experience the nuances that Polyphony captured in GT5. Racing with a wheel (mine is the DFGT) will accurately recreate the feeling of driving the actual car. Throttling a Ferrari 512BB into a tight turn at high speed in order to out-brake an opponent has a razors edge feeling that can only be experienced in real life or GT5. Suffice to say that if you're a fan of simulation driving you'll probably like GT5. Fans of arcade type racers will probably find GT5 frustrating. This is a game that requires patience and practice not necessarily a lead foot.

Speaking of patience, GT5 starts exactly as previous Gran Turismo games. You receive a small allotment of credits to purchase your first used vehicle and set off on your driving career from very humble beginnings. My first car was a '99 Toyota MR2. Not exactly a car that gets the blood boiling. In certain ways GT5 remains the same game we've played before and in other ways it's very different. For the first time in a GT game is a leveling system that affects everything from the cars you can drive to the events you can participate in. License tests are still present but not necessary to advance. A sufficient driver level will qualify you for an event.

The main hub of GT5 is your profile page. From here you can access every aspect of GT. Your garage, race events, A-Spec & B-Spec (more on this later), GT Academy, online racing, community pages, auto dealers, used cars, tuning and repairs. Think of the profile page as your desktop for Gran Turismo. Menus have been streamlined from previous GT games. You no longer have to endure different maps (and loading screens) featuring auto dealers, every manufacturer are represented under the "Dealerships" meau.

A-Spec mode is probably where most players will spend the majority of their time. A-Spec events include Beginner, Amatuer, Professional and World Class races. Again, expect to start at the bottom, racing some sub-100hp cars and work your way up. GT5 is not about instant gratification but a slow, measured build up to extremely fast and powerful vehicles.

B-Spec mode makes a return from GT4. In this mode you're a racing manager and advise your drivers through a race using on screen commands. It's an interesting game mode that adds a unique way to spend your time in GT5. I suspect that this will be a love-it or hate-it feature though. Additionally for the trophy hunters out there, yes, there are several trophies related to B-Spec required for platinum.

GT Academy is a new addition to Gran Turismo. Essentially the academy is driving school. There are a huge variety of events that introduce you to different types of vehicles and driving techniques. From buzzing around in super-powerful go-karts to taking lessons from Jeff Gordon in a Stock Car race or flying around Nurburgring in an AMG powered Benz. The events are great fun, unique and have incredible rewards for getting the best rating.

Tuning makes a return to GT with a graphical make-over but essentially the same since GT4. You can purchase tires, turbos, engine upgrades, exhaust, and a slew of other modifications.

The track selection in GT5 is almost as impressive as the vehicle list with 71 track "selections" which include reconfigurations of tracks or 26 completely unique track locations. Tracks vary from fictional GT tracks like Deep Forest to real-life circuits like Daytona, Indy, Nurburgring to city circuits in places like London & Rome to off-road dirt & snow rally tracks.

Also worth mentioning are some great new features to GT5. For the first time ever in a GT game players have the ability to "gift" cars to online friends. It's a neat feature and if you play a lot online you can do some car swapping with friends. Additionally GT5 features a massive song list from all kinds of artists. Better than that however, is the ability to use custom playlists. In other words you can load your own music to your PS3 and play it while playing GT5! It's a feature more games should have.

All that being said there are some blemishes that just cannot be overlooked. In the 5-6 years that GT5 has been in development many great racing games have been introduced and have raised the bar for what players expect from a racing game. A few of the areas where GT5 falls a bit short include:

Customization: All the traditional GT tuning options are available but GT5 lacks the deep customization that games like Forza offers. All cars have the same basic options in GT and that's essentially it. No custom paint jobs, logos, vinyl's, body kits or anything. GT5 also offers far less unique rims than previous GT games ever did. Standard model cars cannot use after-market rims at all. It's disappointing that after all these years some effort wasn't made to include basic customization features which are the norm in many other racing games.

Sound Effects: GT5 has some incredible cars including Ferrari's and American muscle cars. Strangely the engine sounds are almost the same. How can it be that the development teams at Polyphony spent years creating these ultra-realistic car models then didn't take the time to simply record the engines for the vehicles? It's a bizarre choice. We expect American muscle to sound throaty and Ferrari's to sound off with their distinctive high-pitched whine.

Artificial Intelligence: Yes, the AI still tends to cluster in packs that look like they're driving on rails. Annoyingly the AI can and will frequently simply push your car out of the way or spin you. Try as I might I've never successfully spun an AI opponent.

Graphics - sometimes: As beautiful as the graphics are in GT5 there are areas where the graphics can sometimes be downright ugly. On my first race in the rain using a Ferrari F40 I couldn't help but notice that on the rare occasion that GT5s frame rate stutters certain elements of the vehicle became very pixelated. Mainly the problem was most noticeable on the windshield wiper blades (yes they're usable). Additionally shadows in GT5 tend to have the same pixelated look

The jury is still out on:

Damage modeling. As of this writing my driver level in GT5 is 15 and the game was recently patched (v1.03) to include some tweaks to the damage model. That said the current damage model is pretty poor, however, my understanding is that the damage model improves with the driver level. According to sources I've read the full damage model is unlocked at level 40. Love it or hate it it's a design choice that does make sense. Mainly in that repairs are often too expensive for low level drivers to recover from. I'll leave my final judgment until I get to level 40 and experience the full model. Unfortunately the sound effects during a crash are terrible and amount to nothing more than a "thud". Polyphony could have learned much by referencing Criterion Studios work in Burnout: Paradise or NFS: Hot Pursuit on the PS3.

In conclusion, GT5 isn't everything the media hyped it to be. But then again no game could ever measure up to the expectations the media generated. Gran Turismo 5 is a fantastic game that is keenly focused on the racing aspect of the game and not peripheral features. If you're a GT fan or just a fan of racing I would highly recommend this game with the caveat that you must exercise patience to get to the best parts of GT5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the greatest video game franchise ever, December 1, 2010
This review is from: Gran Turismo 5 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I have absolutely loved the Gran Turismo franchise ever since the first one came out for the original Play Station in the 90's. And after a very long wait, the new one is finally here, and I must say GT5 was worth the wait. I have only spent a few hours playing the game so far, but from what I have experienced, I love it. It has brought back all of the great features of past versions and expanded on them and upgraded them. I really have no complaints except for that the load times are a bit slow for some of the races, but other than that, the game is as polished as can be (which was a relief after rushing GT2 through development and leaving it full of bugs, and rushing GT3 through development and leaving it lacking in features)...I am glad they took their time making this one right...GT4 was great, and GT5 takes it to even a higher level.

Obviously lots of tracks (70+) and lots of cars (1,000+) are great things, but I also love the menus and the navigation as well, which had some issues in previous versions (such as the cursor hanging out in oblivion and not on a clickable icon when you would go from screen to screen). I also like that all the controls have stayed the same, and the handling and difficulty seems to be about the same as previous versions...basically if you are an experienced GT-er, you will have no problems starting out. I am hoping however that there are not too many ridiculous 4-5 hour endurance races, especially like some of the brutal ones of the past like the stock Mazda Roadster endurance that was about as much fun as watching paint dry, and just punish you in trying to get 100% complete on the game...we will see how that all goes as I get deeper into the game. Most of all though, I love the depth and many new features...the go-karts are a blast, for one, and there are many new performance mods available! I am sure that I will spend many, many enjoyable hours with this game.

I highly recommend for both old-school GT fans, as well as newcomers who will appreciate a game that takes patience, skill, strategy, and a big learning curve.

4.0 out of 5 stars if you cant afford a car just buy Gran turismo, December 1, 2010
D P "zerote" (Fonana, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gran Turismo 5 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
The game is lots of fun. The one thing that kills it for me was the 8gb install in the beginning of the game. It was the longest install ever. This is the first gran turismo i bought and it is really fun. The loading time is not too long and the cars look so nice. The head tracking was pretty tight when i used it in arcade mode. The 2 player split screen should have been more players or more ai racing cars when you battle with another player. Online was really cool and i had no problems with it so far. I think they should have made the online two player split screen online. There is so much to do in this game.

4.0 out of 5 stars a lot of GOOD, nothing GREAT, November 27, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gran Turismo 5 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
There is always something new to experiment with this game, although nothing really stands out. I must have played racing the VW bus in a figure 8 for at least an hour because I found that to be interesting. The problem was every time I hit a marker or another VW bus I was disqualified. Then I really got into the go-karts for a while. I must admit the go karts are fun, but at the higher levels it's so easy to spin out on the grass. When I spun out, I couldn't recover and I pretty much automatically lost (because the go kart is always facing the wrong way). Both of those games kept me entertained for a while, but the nuisance of being disqualified or spinning out at the intermediate levels and above, I became frustrated.

The most fun I had was using the Benz Stealth car,(pre-order through Amazon) because even if I messed up I was racing a Toyota Corolla, and I could afford to mess up. This game is a driving simulator, so I guess that means no fun. When going into a sharp 105 degree (slightly obtuse angle) curve at 55 mph, and the car doesn't react and crashes STRAIGHT into the wall, that isn't what a great simulator should represent. I had 3 people verify this. NO burning rubber, no skidding, just crashing straight into the wall. I'm not speaking about a hairpin curve. I drive 20 mph for those. On top of that, what kind of simulator has cars crashing into you when you're ahead of them? Aren't they supposed to overtake you by going around?
Simulator does not equal not fun. Maybe it's different with the wheel. I just don't see what everybody else is seeing. Sorry.

Overall, great cars, great variation, great scenery, graphics, relaxing music, but driving unmodified standard cars and a flawed AI directly hinders the game play and users initial reactions. As one of my PSN buddies said, the game gets better, but getting to the point where you can afford a premium car and modifying it can be a frustrating experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game!, December 13, 2010
This review is from: Gran Turismo 5 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I love this game. This is the only game I own for PS3. Online play is great. Still some features missing I would like in game like weight to power ratio restriction, or side mirrors to see left n right. You have to manually do this unless you have that camera that recognizes your face and then you can look left n right. I love online play. It is seriously the best racing game. I love it! It even have my car in it which is a 300zx Twin Turbo and it is so much fun racing it on a course! Keeps me from illegally street racing haha.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, November 24, 2010
This review is from: Gran Turismo 5 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
GT5's long development cycle has naturally led to a great deal of hype over the game. The racing game market has changed a lot since 2004's Gran Turismo 4, and many are wondering whether the GT series is still king of the genre.

After spending several days with the game I can say comfortably that GT5 is indeed the best driving sim out there. It has delivered on almost every promise and is as engrossing and satisfying as ever. While it is not absolutely without flaw, the few issues I encountered are so minor that you will likely forget about them once you get into the game.

Three things that stand out:

1. The physics - Astoundingly accurate. The Lancer I drove in the game is identical in every respect to my brother's, including 0-60 and overall feel. It's like night and day, playing this and then playing any other racing sim.
2. The presentation - GT has always strived for a mature, classy vibe, but this game really takes the cake. The music is a rich mix of jazz, classical, funk, and rock, and it all works. The custom soundtrack feature is fantastic too. The menus are sexy and easy to navigate (relatively fast too with the install). Whether you are watching replays or browsing dealerships, the game is just so stylish and attractive that even my wife (who hates games and has zero interest in cars) enjoys sitting and watching me play.
3. The variety - There is so much to do it is hard to know where to start! A-spec alone is chalk full of challenges, many of them familiar, but also several new ones. B-spec is a whole different ballgame, and in its way, is even more time-consuming and tricky. Add to that the kart challenges, NASCAR, Top Gear, course creation, arcade, and the massive online mode, and you have a HUGE game. It really feels endless.

My two point of criticism: More premium cars / cockpit views for standard cars would have been nice, and I would have liked to have seen more American cars. Harping on these issues is definitely missing the forest for the trees, though. Regardless, here's hoping for DLC to reconcile these issues.

I recognize that other people will find other negatives, but most will come down to matters of taste. For example, some reviews have criticized GT for the level up / car unlocking system, and the relative easiness of beginner / amateur league races (if you tune your car at all you will coast). Fans of GT, however, enjoy the gradual build up, from crappy used Civic to tricked out Lambo. It's not exactly slow either; within 2 hours I had four sweet cars, a cart, plenty of parts, and a lot of money. What's more, it makes sense that the earlier races are a cakewalk. It adds realism; a good driver with a good car should easily best amateur drivers with stock models. These easier races are an opportunity to experiment with different (or crappier) cars. Once you get to the professional and expert classes, however, be prepared to get destroyed. I was humbled even by the intermediate level cart racing. The logical variety of difficulty levels is excellent from where I stand.

GT5 isn't head and shoulders above all of the competition, partly because the market has become so diversified. GT5 simply can't be all things to all players; it doesn't have Hot Pursuit's action, Forza's instant gratification, or the user-friendliness of typical arcade racers. Nevertheless, as a pure driving simulator, GT retains the crown. You could argue that there are comparable pure racing games (Forza is up there) but GT's priority has always been painstakingly accurate recreation of the driving experience of hundreds of cars, and on that level, the game is a smashing success.

Phenomenal graphics, custom soundtracks, brilliant online, and tons of content. What more could you ask for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Car enthusiasts should love this., December 2, 2010
This review is from: Gran Turismo 5 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Graphics are top notch as usual. I feel the physics in this one is even more realistic than the ones before. You can virtually feel the weight of the cars moving from side to side and the tires fighting for traction. I do have some complaints though. Having to reach a certain levels before being able to buy certain cars. Not all cars have the in car view, but I can understand how much memory that would take. Other than that, it's a great game to be enjoyed by car enthusiasts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, December 19, 2010
This review is from: Gran Turismo 5 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Awesome game, the graohics are excellent and the driving is extremely real. Only three minor complaints, the driving loghts of cars while night racing are not strong(real) enough, so it is pretty hard to see; I liked more the B-spec mode of Gran Turismo 4, and the "Standard Cars" are not customizable in terms of rims and other stuff, and in Gran Turismo 4 you could change that in any car. But anyways, tis game is big step up over the others and competition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for car enthusiasts, December 19, 2010
This review is from: Gran Turismo 5 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
There are a lot of complaints from people about this game, about cars not all being premium, the AI drivers, etc. but I haven't stopped playing it since I got it. With so many cars to collect, and different tuning settings, it's pretty addicting. I was looking forward to getting my real-life car in the game, it's a pretty good replication of what the real thing drives like. Each car has its distinct characteristics that make each unique and fun to drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars GT is Back!, December 2, 2010
This review is from: Gran Turismo 5 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
GT5 is an awesome racing experience for the sim fan. I have played the past few GTs and find this one to keep with the same formula and fully deliver! There is a great selection of cars (which take some time to access). The graphics are also top notch. I have not really had a chance to try the online multiplayer. I would highly recommend this game to anyone who's enjoyed a GT game in the past. I see a lot of reviewers knocking this game, comparing it to games like NFS and others. Understand that this game is a true simulator. It will take hours upon hours to gain certain times in timed trials and such. Pick your racing experience accordingly! :-)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 462 | Next ›

Gran Turismo 5 - Playstation 3
Gran Turismo 5 - Playstation 3 by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
$39.99 $12.99