Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

Gran Turismo 6
Format: Video GameChange
Price:$14.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 6, 2013
Gran Turismo is one of my top games. I love racing games. From the days when I used to sit on my dads lap and watch him play Pole Position in the local arcade, I've been hooked on all sorts of racing games. Gran Turismo 1 for the PS1 was such a game changer with racing. Having been used to Need for Speed, it was unheard of when you had to use the brakes in a car game.

Gran Tursimo 6 continues the series. But it doesn't move it along very much. I did just get my copy in the mail about 3 hours ago. And I've put in around 2 hours of gameplay in it already. But for being the next game in sequential order, it just doesn't feel like that much of an upgrade.

They say they've redesigned the suspension and tires from the ground up. Most people probably won't even notice a difference. Graphics don't look any better than they did in GT5. There may be some slight differences in lighting. But really nothing stands out too much.

All the sound FX from all the previous games are still there. The bongs of the menus. The whiny pitch of the engines. And when you hit the walls or other cars, it still sounds like you just hit one of the large 55 gallon rubber barrels. I don't understand why they couldn't get a team to go out and collect realistic sounding noises.

The most disappointing part of the game is that you have to start all over from square one. Since this game already feels like GT4 and 5, I just wish you were able to carry over your progress. So instead, you have to start out on the very first track, again. Sunday Drive on the High Speed Ring. I feel like I've done this 5 times before.

The menu layout has been re-arranged. It doesn't really feel like an improvement, but it doesn't feel like its worse either. Its just re-arranged.

One of the things that GT6 has over GT5 is that you have access to all cars right away. Meaning, with GT5, if you wanted a Standard version of a car (ones that weren't re-done in HD,) you had to wait for it to show up in the used car selection of the game. Now, all those cars are listed under each of the new car's manufactures.

But I'm giving this game 4 stars because I feel I should judge this game for what it is now. And not comparing it to the previous versions. Although that's what most of my complaints are about here. But if you're new to the series, and this will be your first Gran Turismo game, its a fantastic racing game. As long as you don't assume its anywhere near what NFS is. Either you love games where it takes skill like Gran Turismo, or you just love games where you just feel like you always need to have the pedal to the metal like NFS.

Most likely you are reading this to see if its worth buying. It may be, if you're into having some of the newest cars, and some upgraded features. But if you're reading this to see if you'd be interested in Gran Turismo in general, I'd suggest that you buy Gran Turismo 5. For the price, you can't beat it. And if you're unfamiliar to the series, you most likely won't notice much difference between the two.

Hope this review has helped. Like I said, I'm only 2 hours into the game so far, so I don't have everything unlocked yet. Only just a couple slow cars. I'll update this review if I discover something new that I didn't touch on.

Oh, if you have the pre-order promo code, you have to enter the code inside the game. It will look invalid if you enter it in the PS3 dashboard, outside of the game.

***UPDATED*** (12/9/13)
So after spending the weekend playing GT6, my recommendation is to either buy or continue playing GT5. I have put several hours into the game, and I feel that I'd rather be putting that racing money towards the already large bank account I have in GT5.

AI is still very dumb. They don't race. They just drive in single file line, while following a very set path. They are sometimes aware of your location, but I've had the PIT maneuver done on me a few times in a corner. If this was a real race, I'd be getting of of my car, and throwing my helmet at your windshield the next lap.

But they might as well make the game only time trials. This racing game just doesn't seem like a racing game. You're only overtaking opponents one by one. But its been this way since GT1. For once I'd like to try to overtake 2 opponents who are battling between themselves.

ALL sounds are still all horrid. From the same menu SFX that have been in every single game, to the music that sounds like it belongs on the Nintendo, to the car sounds. I don't think that by putting racing exhaust on a 2014 Corvette would make it sound like a 6-cylinder import car. Chevy should be ashamed.

Cars still feel floaty when in the air. I believe the track is Trial Mountain. Its been slightly updated from the previous version. But the last corner has a slight raise against the wall. If you hit it, you'll get some air, but only from the two wheel that run over it. And it just felt the same as before. Like there was a pocket of air surrounding the car, which gently carried it across the track, and gently placed all 4 wheels back onto the ground. Updated suspension and aerodynamic models, my butt. And in reality, if I had actually hit that corner the same way in a real car, it probably would have flipped me over.

So since I did pay full price for this game, I've been trying to get the most out of it. And I've also tried to make it as realistic as possible. I still have my Logitech steering wheel from when I bought GT4. I've turned off all HUD items, and turned off the racing lines. I also drive from the cockpit view. So its as realistic as it can be. Which BTW, cockpit view makes your screen DARK. Not sure why they feel that adding glass makes everything dark. With the nose cam view, the track is bright. In-car, dark. But the rear-view mirror is still bright.

***UPDATED*** (12/16/13)
Few more things. As a commenter point out, I realized I haven't tried online yet. Figured I'd get some better cars first, and learn the tracks with different setups before going online. Unlike others, I try to race without using other cars as brakes.

V-Sync seems to be more of an issue later on, when you're racing against more cars. I've noticed it quite a bit on the Matterhorn track. Its a new original track set in the mountains. It looks beautiful. But am getting v-sync "tearing" around almost every corner. It really doesn't affect gameplay, and frame rate seems to stay quick. But its kind of annoying. But for most people, you may not even notice it.

Night races not in the city are nearly impossible. I really don't want to mess with my TV's brightness settings, but I'm going to have to to be able to finish some races. There's a night race at Willow Springs, and I CANNOT see anything. The headlights don't light up the road, but they do light up the dirt when you run off track. Its near impossible to race like this. The only thing thats somewhat helped is to always stay behind a crowed, and watch the taillights. But even doing this, I finished 6th, and ran off the road several times. One good thing though was that I unlocked an achievement of staying in the air for a second after I hit a minor dirt hill.
2828 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2013
GT6 is a huge step backwards for the series. This game was created with the sole purpose of selling you more credits so that you can buy all of those 1200 cars. The microtransaction system sucked the joy out of winning prize cars and collecting credits for buying all of those realistic cars. Don't be fooled by the headline features such as 1200 cars or a record number of tracks. Taken in isolation, this is an "ok" racing simulator. But if you're a fan of the GT series, you will be tremendously disappointed. Having enjoyed playing GT5 in all modes for 3 years, here's my take:

Pros:
-----
- Improved physics, cars sway off axis correctly, wheels bounce on bumps, every cars suspension is different. You can't be taking tight corners going 80 in an old charger without oversteering and fishtailing, as it should be.
- Many interiors have been revamped, cars look great inside, although the non-premium models still look shoddy.
- Menus are much cleaner and faster. Switching cars and applying performance upgrades, navigating between menus is faster by an order of magnitude.
- The lunar mission's kinda cool.

Cons:
-----
- The microtransactions completely ruin the experience. There are roughly 90% fewer prize cars. Race rewards have been cut down tremendously. All designed to make you dish out for that car you wanted. Shame on you Polyphany! Way to become EA.
- There's no more Used\Online Dealerships, letting you find random cars at a bargain.
- No more 3D. GT5 looked great in 3D, why would you remove such an awesome feature?
- No B-spec. Again, very innovative game mode yanked out.
- Maybe it's just me, but each course feel slightly less real and more cartoony around the shadows.
- Most cars are outdated. We're in model year 2014, but according to Polyphany it's still 2010.
- There are only 4 online challenges.

If you haven't played GT5 yet, buy the fully featured GT5 XL for $20. That's the game for which the Gran Turismo series will forever be known.

Update 12/20/13
----------------
With the 1.02 update, Polyphany clearly responded to an outcry about the diminished payments. There are some new seasonal events that pay out hundreds of thousands, not single digit thousands. Consecutive days login bonuses have also been resuscitated from GT5, which reward loyal players with up to 2x the normal credits. These are all very welcome changes.

With that said, you can't collect repeat rewards for the same seasonal events like you used to, and the game still severely lacks prize cars. Yes, of course you can play for 5,000 hours and collect all of the cars. But realistically, if Polyphany went through the trouble of creating all 1,200 cars, shouldn't they make them more accessible to the gamers?

Let's hope this is one of many moves by the game creators to balance the game's fun and realism aspects without reaching into the loyal fans' pockets.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 7, 2013
More evolutionary than revolutionary, the new Grand Turismo 6 is still a great game but for fans familiar with the series, the jump from Grand Turismo 5 to 6 is minimal. A more appropriate title would have been Grand Turismo 5 1/2.

The new tracks and new cars are nice welcome but it's a shame they only added a few. I was hoping for more race tracks and having normal roads where you don't do just laps would have been a nice addition. Say for example a nice point A to point B drive up the Pacific Coast Highway in California, Stelvio Pass, a route across the French Riviera would have been epic. It looks like the Top Gear track is now gone, probably since Forza got the license for it, a major loss for me since I'm a big fan of Top Gear. Still a bit annoyed with the usual rolling starts. Wish they had an option to do a standing start.

Still very disappointed that there is no damage. I understand this could be a licensing issue where car companies may not allow their cars to show damage but a hard hit into the barrier at 150mph should essentially obliterate my car, yet in the game I simply bounce off the wall, as if nothing really happened. Some slight damage is shown on the exterior of the car but nothing close to what I would expect from what's claimed to be the "ultimate driving simulator".

Graphics seemed to have improved a little, menu interface revamped and the overall physics have been slightly tweaked for the better.

However, much of the game has stayed the same. The challenges and career modes are the same and being so similar to Grand Turismo 5, it's a shame we can't import our cars from the previous game to this one. You have to start from the beginning again, where you race a Honda Fit and work your way up, doing essentially the exact same challenges that you had to do from Grand Turismo 5. Had they introduced more revolutionary challenges to this part, it wouldn't feel so much like a chore.

Overall though, the greatness of what made previous Grand Turimso games famous is still there. This is definitely not a step backwards but sadly only a small step forward. People new to the series will still find a great game worth playing hours and hours on. Die hard fans (like me) may end up feeling that the game is a bit lacking. It just feels that much of the additions to Grand Turismo 6 could have been just a DLC patch for Grand Turismo 5. It's a shame as every previous Grand Turismo game has shown significant improvement. Especially from 1 to 4 where each new version made revolutionary steps in either graphics, physics, new tracks, etc. That being said, if money is tight for you, stick to Grand Turismo 5. You're not missing that much. Truth be told, I find myself playing Grand Turismo 5 (since I already have almost everything unlocked and/or purchased), Grand Theft Auto V and F1 2013 for my automotive fix more than Grand Turismo 6. For these reasons, I'd sad to say, this game only gets 3/5 stars. I am very much looking forward to Grand Turismo 7.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 7, 2014
There are a lot of improvements over GT5 (especially in terms of loading!), but it still feels fundamentally like it's the same game with new tracks and cars and a fresh UI. Which isn't a terrible thing--GT5 was a very good racing game.

But the GT series is getting a bit long in tooth and needs some updating, and I mean more than just its UI or adding newer cars. I'm talking things like...

* The AI, which is so bad that it necessitates we continue the silly "start in last place every time" thing, if not outright giving them up to a minute or more of a head start!
* The lack of adjustable difficulty. Do I really need 2/3 of the game's races to be absurdly easy? As it is, the slow car races are both low speed *and* something that can be beaten with little skill.
* The assuming I've never played a racing game before (do I really need to do all the license tests every time a new GT game comes out?).
* The grind. I've driven over 25 hours already, according to the in-game stats, and I've earned around 15 million credits. Yes, I still haven't made enough to afford just one of the most expensive, most-rare cars (which are 10-20 million credits each). Now, don't get me wrong, I don't expect to own even a quarter of the 1,100 or so cars in the game by this point, but it'd be nice to be able to afford the '67 Ferrari 330 P4 or the '69 Ford GT40 race car by now. Honestly, I'm confused about the intent here--am I expected spend nothing for the next 20 hours of playing to afford one of these cars? Or am I supposed to buy credits with real money (a new option for GT).

But we still have a game with an absolutely massive number of cars (though, sadly, still no Porsche and still *way* too much emphasis on Japanese cars in general and Nissan in particular), fantastic physics, and a very, very nice selection of tracks. For avid racing/car fans, this is still a good game to get. But realize that, if you played GT5, you're definitely going to be experiencing a distinct feeling of deja vu.
on December 10, 2013
I had to give it 3 stars. The driving physics are improved and the new tracks are interesting and all GTs are decent games. But I'm so angry I wish I could give it less than one star.

Two facts: Sony sells you credits for in-game use for cash. Credits are more difficult to earn within the game.

And basically, the fact that the company has a financial interest in making one element (earning credits) much more difficult fatally compromises every element of the game. Some of those compromised elements are immediately evident.

Things you'll miss. No endurance races- too easy to earn credits in, one supposes. No used cars (too cheap). And all those new cars the game promised? Oh, they're there all right, but you'll never be able to buy them unless you pay many times the game's price for extra credits. Online racing crippled by very low payouts (even after a red-faced second patch) causing difficulty in obtaining cars and the removal of shuffle racing.

So, for $60 I suppose it might be a decent short term diversion until somebody comes up with something better. (Rumors abound re such a thing.) Just make sure you have a lot of self-control and the kids don't have access to your credit card!

All told it's enough to make a long-time GTer like me cry. The series hasn't entirely gone to seed, but it's definitely gone to greed.

And the main message I would impart is to scrutinize very carefully GT7 (with the necessary PS4) which may be out possibly as early as next year before buying. Think twice before letting a first-day pre-order bonus rush you into something that may wind up crippled and/or costing a lot more even than the original cost.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 13, 2013
IF you are new to GT, then grab the GT5 used for $20. its three times the joy of of GT6... you would enjoy it.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE INTERNET DO NOT BUY GT6

IF you are a fan of GT5 like I was, then this is a mixed bag. This is the GT6 Prologue.not the real GT 5 upgrade

IT is similar to GT5 in terms of tracks but very few cars that you could get your hands on (without you having to pony up to Polyphony additional $$$$. The similarity ends there..the whole way of racing here has changed... and very limited. They have set it up so the company can fleece you. Lets not fall into their money pit trap. GT franchise was the winner... the other M$ one was the loser that went down the money pit track which did not appeal to us GT fans... We kept GT the #1 franchise in this genre.. Now, why would the winner try to follow the track of the loser? I don't get that.

The good part:

1) The suspension addition is fantastic... IT is really a joy to drive cars..even the crappy low cars are better in GT6 than it was in GT5. IT makes it not only easier to drive, but if you have been driving cars for real, it would be intuitive to the expectation of what the car would do.

2) The eye candy/glossiness of the car is a shade better than it was in GT5

3) The NASCAR is much harder here that it was in GT5 which is good.. it seems more realistic..but they got rid of the visible damage of cars...which was really nice in GT5.

Cons:

1. The driving and visual part of the car improvement is marginal...but since GT franchise was good to start with, I can't really complain too much on this front

2. The Cr is too little and not worth trying hard so I simply gave up. I got my NASCAR and went online. I don't think I'll be racing much in GT 6 except Dirty NASCAR online.

Remember, children used to collect baseball cards and exchange them and so on, Now imagine the company basically prevents these kids from baseball card collection ..instead tries to cut in on the act by selling it themselves with a caveat you can't exchange them with your friends.. you can't give them an so on. Now it costs an arm and a leg. This company is so greedy they want to kill the fun out it totally.

I played the GT5 end to end 3 times and I collected all the race cars.. I maintained a spreadsheet of it and made sure I collected them 100% and I did it 3 times. Now if you want to do something like that you would have to pay more than $500 to GT company/Polyphony or whatever ...FOGGETABOUTIT.

They have removed the following Joys that were in GT5.

- Ability to collect cars GONE.
- Ability to exchange cars and pains with friends GONE.
- Ability to earn money to buy cars in GT6 is Gone.. I am almost half way through and I have gotten only around 750K I can't buy crap with that piddly credit
- User car purchase GONE!
- Used dealership GONE!
- 50% of features found in GT5...The B thingi...is GONE! WTF!
- FUN GONE!

So they have stripped GT5 to its bare bones and added a slight shine to the cars and added Suspension to the car and selling us this garbage!

GT 6 has nothing else that I want I am done with GT...except for online Dirty NASCAR.

They have taken away the fun out of trading cars and what not...they think we will pay them money.. I am not here to keep paying you money...So Bugger offf ..you are not gonna get a dime more from me than what I paid for already $60.

Come to think of it, there is not 1 good reason to get GT6 if you already have the GT5. In fact GT5 is better.

Now get out of my face Jerksoffs!

Updated:

GT5 took me almost 8 months before I got tired of it.. GT6 has taken me less than a month to get tired of it.

The S Licence is gimmicky that even the bronze to open the Super is hacked to the point its impossible.. so I had to stop it there. I can understand making the Gold very hard..but the bromnze to take you to the next level is almost eviI. So thats it for me and GT6.

While GT5 was a joy, GT6 is blood pressure inducing, irritating and your tourette syndrome could act up almost all the time.

GT6 plain sucks.. There aren't too many people online with GT6. so this is an epic FAIL!
on June 26, 2015
Review for PS3 version.
I got the game, hoped to play, but...
Wasted hours waiting for updates(19 updates!!! really...)...
Guess what, at the very end - updates failed...

I can't comment on the game itself, as I couldn't play it. Cannot return it, as I opened it.
I found some work around on the forums, but did not try it.

Basically, I wanted to warn other PS3 owners about potential troubles.
on March 21, 2014
I honestly feel like I've wasted my money and that Polyphony pulled a scam on us. The entire game fails in comparison to its predecessor, GT5. If you played GT5 you'll immediately notice how much of a downgrade this game is and it's just an attempt to take your money. There are more cars and tracks added, which are nice. But the physics of the game have changed and earning money is near impossible unless you play for 40 hours a week and want to do the same races over and over. Drifting is horrible, online drag racing is worse. You will need to completely relearn how to tune cars because not a single tune you used in 5 will act the same in 6. The Used Car Dealer which I thought was the best part of GT is no more. Now you can just simply browse and buy, that takes all of the fun out of it. If you're in any kind of doubt about Polyphony's intentions just look at the in game GT store. You can now buy credits with real money, that's all this game is about is taking your money. Seasonal events pay out only a fraction of what they did in 5. And they are all time trials requiring you to be in a very specific model. So you have to buy a car most of the time and the winnings barely cover the cost of the car. It's a huge load of BS. And the fact that they are tearing down online service for GT5 in May means they are purposely making the game obsolete so more people will buy this new crap they're calling GT6.

My advice, just stay away. And do your research before you get suckered into the next iteration of Gran Turismo.
on July 13, 2015
Could be a good game. But you will never be able to know because of the install update feature put in on this game. If you buy this game in 2015, you will have over 20 updates to go. After 12 hours of downloading them (they are massive) the game will try to install them. After update 1.07 the install will fail and the game will go in a infinite loop of failing trying to install. Its a HUGE bug, and its all over the internet. I've been playing Gran Turismo since GT2. No joke, you are better offer buying GT4, as that was the last good game PDI made. After that they got sleezy on the DLC, and have no idea how to data manage a game. This game will run your PS3 to 100% capacity (i.e your ps3 will run hot on this game), and is just absolutley upsetting how they poorly data managed this game is.

In summary, if you want 1 hour of update time for every 5minutes of play. Buy this game. If you are like me and had enough, email PDI and Sony and say enough is enough.
on January 4, 2015
I bought the game yesterday and it makes you install 14 updates that last more than 8 hours. When you finish downloading the updates an error occurs and you have to search on the internet how to download the updates without the game crashing. Then you have to download the 14 updates one at a time manually and for another 8 hours. Pretty lazy and faulty programming. If you don't want to be 8 hours or more updating the game before playing it, don't buy Gran Turismo 6.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...