Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now Tikes

on September 30, 2011
Two online accounts, one of them the worthless Games for Windows Live, should not be required for a game I only want to play offline in singleplayer mode. SecuROM disk check measures should not be present on software purchased via download.

As if that weren't bad enough, the installation refuses to complete...

Piracy is easier, and the pirated game will actually WORK - meanwhile here I sit, having wasted my time and my money. Thank you Rockstar, and thank you Take Two for only charging fifteen dollars for the lesson.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2011
The game is definitely fun and at a deal but for some reason it hates me. I had it working for about 2 days; however, suddenly every-time I run the game after a couple of seconds I get this
"EFLC FATAL ERROR: D3D Error - Please re-boot you system". Rockstar dose not seem to know what to do to help me at the moment.
on May 9, 2012
The game doesnt work takes to much to download and install when the game runs you have to make like 50 differnet accounts and the game doesnt even load!!!!
on May 6, 2012
The security system of the game is not compatible with the avast antivirus, and it produce Windows bluescreen at every attempt to play the game with the antivirus on. So, after a good couple of hours of tests, reinstall, etc. I turn down the antivirus. But I closed the internet connection to be safe. Well, you need an internet connection (and a windows game account etc.) to play. Now I managed to start the game, but I already do not like it, for the time I lost for trying to make it work.

Don't buy it
on May 16, 2010
For those of you familiar with the Grand Theft Auto series, you'll know right away how fun this series can be. It's an open world and you can do everything from carjacking people, to doing hitman missions for various powerful criminals (sometimes mafia types and that sort of thing) in the city. You can even visit virtual strip clubs in the game, and listen to the radio while you drive around the city, or even watch TV on the game on the TV in your character's apartment!

There is a huge amount of content here to play with and enjoy. In Episodes from Liberty City (commonly referred to as EFLC), you get two somewhat smaller GTA games set inside the very same Liberty City you may have gotten to know when you played Grand Theft Auto IV - and you may even spot your old character and some other people you know and recognize from GTAIV as they conduct their own affairs and pursue their destinies in Liberty City!

Now that you know a handful of reasons for why you SHOULD buy this set of games, I'll highlight two issues that might make you reconsider and decide not to purchase. First, the game incorporates the same old SecuROM DRM software that GTAIV had. If you played GTAIV and didn't care, you shouldn't mind this. But if you thought SecuROM in GTAIV was a real pain, you'll encounter the same issue with this game, unfortunately.

The other reason you might reconsider purchasing this game is that the very same bug that plagued GTAIV (some kind of annoying memmory/texture leak issue) remains present and unfixed in this game. Basically, after a while of driving around, doing missions, and in general having fun and raising **** as is customary in GTA games, you might encounter a bug where some of your in-game textures get replaced with lower-resolution textures, and ultimately disappear entirely. While it is a real shame that Rockstar didn't fix this issue, it is worth noting that it is fairly easily addressed: just restart your game every couple missions or so, and the problem is remedied.

On the whole, these new additions to the Grand Theft Auto series (this game pack and GTAIV) are wonderful and worthy additions to the series that enhance the gameplay with updated graphics and physics. As such, as you should expect, you'll need a reasonably modern system to run them well.

My system specs:
Phenom 9850 BE Quad-Core Processor @ 2.5 GHZ
NVIDIA 9600 GT 512mb
4GB DDR2 1066
Windows Vista 32bit

On this system of mine, I ran GTAIV and EFLC at 1920x1200 resolution on medium settings, and the game looked and ran fine most of the time, with the only exception being the easily remedied memory leak issue I discussed earlier in this post. Most people tell me your processor and memory are what you really need to watch to run this game well, and the reviews I've read suggested that, with the good multi-core processing support this game offers, you'll want a Quad-Core, or at least a fast dual-core to run it nicely.

In the tradition of the Grand Theft Auto classics that preceded this and GTAIV such as GTA: San Andreas and GTA: Vice City, this game is a quality addition to the overall lineup of games in the Grand Theft Auto series, and offers direly needed graphics and physics updates. All in all, this is arguably a game you shouldn't miss, especially if you liked the other Grand Theft Auto games and you have a good enough system to run it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2010
Before I start this review, let me go over my computer specs:

AMD Phenom II 955 OC'ed to 3.9GHz
GTX 470 OC'ed
4GB DDR3 1600 Memory
Windows 7 x64 Professional
+ other not as important components

I bought this game during the End of the Year Sale ($7.50) and am thankful I did. I used to play a MMORPG called All Points Bulletin (APB) but it shut down. It was a MMO with a GTA concept. Since APB and its owner RTW went bankrupt, this game has become a playful replacement. This GTA is great for those who are mainly seeking a Single Player Story game because the Multiplayer doesn't really get many other people in it. The game works flawlessly on my computer with an average over 50fps on everything MAX settings. If you're hardware is close to the minimum specs then don't expect to play on highest settings; toy around with the settings and use the benchmark to find which gives you the best fps/best gaming experience. Prior to purchasing this game, please note that this game is a DIGITAL DOWNLOAD meaning you will have to download Amazon's game downloading client which will download the game through the internet. ALSO, please be aware that this game is HUGE (16GB!) so you should either have good internet or just have this download overnight. I believe this game has 2 stories to it as there is an option to choose between the 2 in the start-up. If you're reading this and the end of the year sale is still going on I would recommend purchasing this or GTA IV if you're looking for something to pass the time for less than $10. This game also supports controllers so you can use/buy an Xbox controller and plug it in via USB and it's great. Also this game utilizes Windows Live.

PS: I also purchased Bioshock 2 for $5 :)
on September 9, 2013
Im running a PC with an 2012 xeon processor 64b of RAM and also on 500gb of flash storage (SSD) and I cant get this stupid thing to run in compatibility with the BIG 8. Im pretty sure its not a computer problem but the copy is just outdated to the max.. don't waste your money if you plan on running compatibility.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2015
I just bought this myself after playing GTA IV again and I wanna help others that have a hard time getting this to work as well as GTA IV. I have Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, if that matters. I should also mention that when downloading, you need to walk away from the computer until it downloads completely. I did other things the first time while downloading and ended up with a corrupt version. Then I tried again but walked away until the download was complete and it was all good.

First to install it and get it working initially, I set my system time back to 2010 for EFLC and Dec 2008 for GTA IV. It's August now. After it's installed, the 'Release Date check should work. If did for me. After it's installed and all good, you can set your date back to real time.

Next to get it working because the game won't start because of Window games something or other. You have to get xLiveLess and copy the xlive.dll into the GTA IV or EFLC folder. Now the game will start. Link is here;

Another annoying thing is the loading screens at startup every time you play. You can disable them using this method but you also need to have ScriptHook.dll installed for it to work. Links for both;

Finally, this is the best site for mods and other scripts and things that don't give you bs popups when downloading.

You also don't want to use because you'll get those popups saying you have a virus and then you have a hard time closing out the windows.

Hope this helped someone and you get to enjoy the game too.
Have fun
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2013

Furthermore, the technical support is horrible. They have no idea of what they are doing and they do not care if your issue is resolved.
on October 9, 2011
First bought the dvd game for it, did not install correctly. Then bought the download and now this does not intsall correctly. Tried everything to no avail. Now must go through Rockstar games for support!! Very bad.