2,704 Reviews
 (2,112)

4.0 out of 5 stars Grand Theft Auto Returns (Thankfully) to its Roots
It's been interesting browsing through the lower-rated reviews and seeing what people have to say. Some of them raise some pretty decent points and I can't deny them - you can't enter most stores, there isn't a fancy casino, there aren't as many side-games, etc.

Published 12 months ago by J.S. Knapp

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Game, has some great aspects, but generally is pretty mediocre
Overall I found GTA 5 to be OK. There were certainly some great things about the game, but also some not so great ones

Pros:
1. Graphics: This is both a pro and a con, but the level of detail was pretty amazing. To have this level of detail in a game so massive is very impressive, and they do a lot to show this off throughout the game
2. Money: Again,...
Published 5 months ago by MrOregon

4.0 out of 5 stars Grand Theft Auto Returns (Thankfully) to its Roots, November 27, 2013
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V - Xbox 360 (Video Game)

But I want to ask the real question - does anyone really care? Did you LIKE sitting at a slot machine in San Andreas? I probably spent all of 5 minutes in that casino - outside of the relevant missions - in the HOURS that I played that game. And did you like having to go to restaurants to eat? Was that really "fun"?

NO!! It was drivel! It was time-consuming, it made you lose your focus, and bored most of us to tears. And thanks to the new "stock market" mechanic, we don't need to waste time in a casino trying to make a few quick bucks... We have to look forward people. This isn't San Andreas. For the most part, it's better.

I've thoroughly enjoyed GTA V. I actually thought the story was one of the better ones in recent times. I thought the tension between the three main characters made for some pretty unique events. Towards the end when (spoiler alert) you start getting hints that characters may be forced to kill other characters, I actually found myself quite riveted to the story. Sure some of the missions themselves were a bit odd - the billionaire car-collector guy seemed pretty pointless. The warring military/government factions actually confused me somewhat, but they seemed to confuse the main characters as well, so perhaps that was the point! The heists were pretty neat and I wish there were more of them. We'll probably get them in the form of costly DLC...

But what I've enjoyed most about GTA V was the fact that it left behind a lot of the nonsense from GTA IV. No more mandatory "man-dates", no more dragging around cousins and friends and acquaintances just so you can buy guns or hitch a helicopter ride from time-to-time. We also have our BLESSED garages back, and even some storage buildings added with the sole intent of storing our favorite cars. Thanks for that, Rockstar. I love the large map again with the differing geographic and cultural areas. I truly enjoy the "random encounters" where you're given the option to mingle unexpectedly with a random event taking place. They're repetitive after a short while, but there's a pretty wide variety of them scattered about.

In fact, the "new" things added to the GTA franchise are pretty significant. The custom car shops have much more variety than what we saw in San Andreas. The in-game internet has a wealth of additional content, including the abiliy to purchase almost every vehicle in the game. Just CANNOT find that wanna-be Corvette? Screw it - buy one on the interwebs! And of course, the whole "three characters = thrice the fun" is such an interesting change from the way GTA has always been. The only frustration I encounter is when you switch to Trevor only to find that he's wandered to the top of a mountain and is wearing a sun dress... Suddenly I'm forced to hike a mile to the nearest road and on top of that, I need to change clothes again...

There are certainly some annoyances in GTA V - for one, the police seem the hardest ever to avoid. Most of the time I hit a three-star wanted level, I end up walking out of a hospital. The AI is pretty relentless. Once I managed to escape line-of-sight and hide in a train tunnel. Somehow the AI managed to "see" me through what I can only presume was grating in the street above, and suddenly a calvary of FIB trucks came screaming down the train tracks. Police are spawned ad-nauseum, creating a "no-win" scenario for the player. Your best bet is to go off-road where the AI has a hard time with path-creation, and knock out police helicopters as quickly as possible. In short, it's not a lot of fun. I would have loved to see a Skyrim-like "witness" mechanic, where if you take out everyone who saw you do what you did, you can get away with it.

Another irritation I found was in the dialogue between Franklin (a young, black man living in a gang-ridden part of town at the start of the story) and one of his friends, Lamar. The two interact several times throughout the story, and their dialogue is annoyingly ridden with the "N" word. Now, I'm certainly not a fan of political correctness, but after a while, I simply got tired of hearing it. And since you're forced to listen to the two ramble on to each other as you drive from point-to-point in these missions, I often found myself muting the TV. Let me clear - I wasn't offended - I was simply annoyed. Some of the sentences were literally scripted as "No my 'N' you're not living like a 'N' in the hood, my 'N'..." Who wrote that crap??

Lastly, we're still stuck with a lot of collection requirements to hit 100%. Whether it's alien ship parts or "written letters" or stunt jumps or what not, it's always something. But don't forget, you San Andreas lovers, that SA was rife with that as well. Remember the horseshoes we had to hunt down? And the gang-tags we had to spray paint over...? I still remember sitting with the official Game Guide and a pencil for HOURS while playing that game... Not a lot of fun then, either.

Oh, and online... ...sucks. But online always sucks. I don't know why the market keeps pushing us to play with each other. I play video games to escape the tedium that is OTHER PEOPLE... I played online for about 10 minutes. I did the first mission which made no sense, and in the process apparently P'd off the other guy it paired me with, so as soon as the mission was over he killed me and stole the car I had been using. Shortly afterwards I managed to get another car and - upon happening to see the same player - I mercilessly chased him down and ran him over. I laughed maniaclly until the cops appeared out of nowhere (apparently not pleased at the other handful of pedestrians I took with him) and made quick work of my unleveled, unarmed-and-armored character. Having died twice in just a few minutes, I left online mode and haven't returned since. Personally I think the whole point of GTA is to CAUSE crimes, not be a victim of them. So to me, a slew of online players trying to cause crime on one another just doesn't fit the description of "entertaining" in my book.

Anyways, what I think you need to take from all of this is that GTA went back to what made GTA so great in the first place. GTA IV tried to be serious - your character wanted to get away from a life of crime... ...in a game called "Grand Theft Auto." GTA V gives us a Trevor - a deranged psycopath who sees the glass not as half-full or half-empty, but as something that yearns to be shattered. GTA V adds back some of the mayhem, the larger-than-life crimes with just enough sillyness to make us smile about it in the end.

I think there's a great game here. Sure some people will yearn for more, but I've thoroughly enjoyed most of my time in the game. Oh and the graphics are amazing. I realize developers will get a better grasp of the Xbox One soon enough, but GTA V on the 360 looks as good as Dead Rising does on the Xbox One.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to the 1 star reviews..., September 18, 2013
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
If you've ever played San Andreas then your going to love this, this game is not boring and there's alot to do, lots of off road vehicles for off-roading and lots of customization options for your cars.

Overall its a HUGE improvement over Grand Theft Auto IV, its brighter and more colorful, the people come to life in the game and better car handling, for people who care about graphics its a big improvement over IV but I'd like to point out that if you choose a game by its graphics then your never going to enjoy good games and being picky over graphics ruins the experience (but like I said they're great in this game).

No the game does NOT freeze, sadly I played it straight for over 10 hours without realizing it and it never froze nor did I experience any bugs at all, it played flawlessly, so I really don't know what these people are talking about it being buggy, if it doesn't freeze within that amount of time then I think its pretty obvious its not going to and maybe they are having problems with their Xbox and not the game.

The one thing that I do hate in this game is the crashes aren't as realistic is they are in IV, its similar when crashing in Saints Row, but I didn't pay $60 just so I could experience good crashes, I got it for free roaming, and after playing it for awhile you really don't even notice the cheesy crashes anymore, during gameplay you may notice things you don't like and an example of that would be the crashes, or maybe you don't like the way the planes and helicopters handle because of the wind blowing against it (the flying is realistic and helicopters are difficult to handle, which I like.. it'll make it harder for little kids to shoot me on multiplayer when they're in a chopper), but in my opinion this is the best Grand Theft Auto to date and I would strongly suggest you don't pass on this game because its worth it.

***THIS GAME IS RATED MATURE!!!***: so parents if you don't think your kids aren't mature enough to handle this game then DONT buy it for them, I'm sick of seeing parents complaining and the news making Grand Theft Auto games out to be a game that makes kids do bad things when in the first place the parents shouldn't even buy young kids a game that clearly says 17+ on the back and you have to be 17 and up to buy it, so please don't rate games badly based on your ignorance.

And if you get this game and notice that the online multilayer isn't up yet don't freak, it says its going to be up 2 weeks from this past 17th (GTA V release date)

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing so far!, September 17, 2013
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Although I cannot review this game in its entirety, I can still tell you about some of the things ive noticed right away. I have not finished the game yet, but I am a good deal into it.

Before you even put in the playable disk you must install the first disk. Yes there are two disks, but do not install the second! (As in load it to your hard drive) Rockstar made an announcement about this, i just wanted to warn everyone aswell.

First off, as most gta games have been, you must complete a short mission before you can do whatever you like. No spoilers there.

Once you do get to free roam, it is amazing. The map is beautiful, and there is so much to do. This game is so far, amazing!
There was alot of debate about the driving engine in this game, I find it to be much better than gta 4.

Pros:
-Amazing game
-Beautiful map
-Tons of stuff to do
-Driving is awesome

Cons:
-You can say goodbye to your social life for a while!
-But on a serious note, there is no app for android to customize cars etc.
-Also there are some bugs. (Cars randomly flipping over, wrong clothes on character)
-no big glitches, but small things that make it not perfect.

Overall, Just buy it already! You're missing out!!

Update September 18th 2013.
-Loading (Or lack of loading) is flawless! You transition from cutscene to playing soo smoothly.
-The missions are extremely fun and have great variety!
-Ive played for about 8 hours (Focusing on missions) and im only 20% into the total missions.
-Switching weapons takes time to get used to, but is a great system overall
-Ive never been more into a story in a video game before!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, December 18, 2013
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This game was great I had a really fun time playing it A really fun think about it is that in the end each character gets about $42 million which is a nice thing but there's a twist at the end and I'm not going to spoil it for you. worth every penny

5.0 out of 5 stars The culmination of all of Rockstar's games, September 24, 2013
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Rockstar has quite a track record. I consider Red Dead Redemption one of the greatest games ever made. And the PS2 era of GTA games revolutionized gaming and created an entire genre. Even their "failures" like LA Noire and GTA IV were still interesting and innovative. And now, they have taken all of the lessons they've learned from their previous games and made a masterpiece.

Midnight Club racing games have helped improve the vehicle handling and driving. No more swinging wildly around the road or floaty handling. The cars have weight and mass. This isn't "arcade" handling, but it's fair and makes sense given the vehicle you are driving.

The way the game plays and unfolds is very similar to Red Dead Redemption. Within the main story quests are tons of side missions and random events that are always fun to participate in.

Shooting mechanics have taken a page from Max Payne 3, and are much more fun and challenging. Slow motion abilities give you the edge you need in intense firefights or chases.

And the story and writing are comparable to anything you would find in a high end Hollywood production. The characters are multilayered, there's twists and turns that come organically, and the dialogue is often howlingly funny. It all culminates in multiple endings that all feel fitting to the story and not just tacked on to give the player choices.

It's really just a great game. There's tons to do, and it's fun to play as the three different characters. This game, much more than GTA IV, feels like a true sequel to San Andreas and the other previous generation games. It builds on that frame work, and is the natural place for the series to go. If you like any of the games in the series, you will definitely enjoy this game!

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Social life., November 26, 2013
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
ROCKstar made a kickin' game. The detail in this game is phenomenal. From the road repair work to the functional corner mirrors, this game has changed my life. Somehow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wow, March 5, 2014
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I have to admit, I have actually not fully completed the game. I spent a lot of time messing about, and I suck at committing through games. Plus I'm very busy. This game, from a technical standpoint, is just insane. I honestly have no idea how this came together and was able to run on the ancient system that is 360/PS3. When you look at EVERY other decent looking open world game (GTA IV, Far Cry 3, Skyrim, etc.) you see a common thing: poor distance draw and relatively low texture quality. Now Far Cry did a decent job, don't get me wrong. But all of those games have to limit the draw distance because that all takes up RAM and computing power. GTA V does this, but somehow it is much less noticeable. Plus, the draw distance is just higher, WITH better overall texture and lighting. Again, no idea how they pushed this so hard and maintained any reasonable amount of frame rate. Just taking that into account and driving around and exploring all the nooks and crannies of the world without even playing the story, is an experience in itself. I've never felt so close to real in a game before. The story may be a bit much for people. The use of racial slurs and torture at one point, really make for a gritty experience. Other times, you have to just laugh at how off the wall crazy the characters (Trevor) are. Oh, and listen to the commercials and news reports, they aren't just white noise. They really add to the experience. This game is an incredibly well thought out reflection and satire on the world we live in and the more you appreciate that, the more you will get from the game in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Incredible, December 21, 2013
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I was hooked on this game since I laid hands on it. The story flows seamlessly and there's plenty to do between missions. GTA Online is another story. That may be the mostthing online for a game I've ever played.

5.0 out of 5 stars Latest Grand Theft Auto Game is Fun!, January 11, 2014
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I received this game very quickly & the packaging was great so that my daughter didn't know what was in the box. She loves playing this game! I only wish I was as good on the XBox as she is! Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars GTA V is one of my favorite games of 2013., November 1, 2013
Aaron M Kosydar (ANCHORAGE, AK, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto V - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
The mission structure has been improved in GTA V with ample check-pointing. That's point number one. As highly rated as GTA IV was, even at the time I felt frustrated by constantly starting failed missions all the way from the top. Well, this time Rockstar has changed that and for that one change alone the game is much more enjoyable.

Everything else is as you would expect a GTA game to be- jacking vehicles and cruising the open world as you see fit. The missions range from utterly awesome (the heists) all the way down to mundane races against an exercise-crazed character.

Speaking of crazy- that pretty much includes every single character in GTA. No one is "normal" in this game. But that's the style- a realistic world inhabited by some parallel world of people whose motivations, personalities, and actions are blown up and exaggerated. By real-world standards, every character in the game would be diagnosed a psychopath. In GTA V, psycho-path is defined by Trevor Phillips, so anything less than Trevor-crazy seems normal.

But the game knows how to have fun and not take itself too seriously. GTA V would turn into a really dark drama (a crazy one)without the absurdity and comedy written in to the script. Instead, amidst the dark deeds that happen in GTA V, the whole experience feels light. Even the game world is bright, with Los Santos bathed in beatiful sunlight almost all the time during daylight hours. It rarely rains. And at the moon even manages to light up the night.

And that notorious torture scene? Meh, really not as bad as you think. I'm sure Rockstar knew what they were doing when they put that in the final product. You can't release a huge game like this without putting something controversal in it. You need that for publicity and it scores you points (usually) with your hardcore fans for staying on the edge and pushing boundaries. In the end, my opinion of this particular scene is that it is a bit corny (In keeping with the "light" feel of the game as I described). The person being tortured makes some blatant statements regarding a certain political topic and all comes off as being really goofy. I think that was the intention.

The characters are great, the voice acting is well done, and the writing to me is outstanding. The only thing that gets tiresome is driving. At some point you just want to fast travel mission to mission and the cab just isn't cutting it for me. I can only imagine the next GTA will implement a better fast travel system. Apart from that, I'm never for want of weapons and ammunition and money is plentiful. Good. Focus is stricly on the missions, story progression, and enjoying the world of Los Santos.

One of my favorite games of the year.

Grand Theft Auto V - Xbox 360
Grand Theft Auto V - Xbox 360 by Rockstar Games (Xbox 360)
$59.99 $45.90