5.0 out of 5 stars a magical new myth, November 15, 2000
This review is from: Grandfather Twilight (Hardcover)
From the very first page you step into a mystical magical lushly colorful world of flowers and friendly animals that accompany Grandfather Twilight on his journey to place the moon in the sky. The moon is symbolised by a small pearl, taken from an endless strand, that grows with each step he takes on his evening walk, twilight spreading like mist behind him, until he releases it above the ocean into the sky. Then he walks home and tucks himself in to bed, surrounded by his animal companions. The illustrations are populated by so many interesting animals and things to look at and comment on that one quickly becomes absorbed in the world that Barbara Helen Berger has created. As other reviewers have pointed out everything about this book is soft and peaceful. There are very few words. Some pages don't even have words, you simply follows the events laid out in the illustrations. This book is a keeper. As enjoyable for adults as for children. They offer the age of 4 to 8 for this book. I would venture to say that this book could be an excellent first book for a child, as early as a few months. My two year old adores it. I have a soft spot for all of this authors books, but 'Grandfather Twilight, 'The Donkey's Dream', and 'When the Sun Rose', are my favorites. All three of these books will have a special place on my book shelf to be shared with my grandchildren some day, and you never know, maybe my great-grandchildren too:)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the two greatest "Night Night " books ever, July 13, 2002
This review is from: Grandfather Twilight (Paperstar Book) (Paperback)
The other great goodnight book is, of course, GOODNIGHT MOON. But this is every bit as good as that classic, although much less known. It is also one of the most extraordinarily illustrated children's books of any type.
This is also one of the very best books I know for children who have a bit of trouble going to sleep at night. It is masterful at presenting calming, peaceful, positive images of going to bed. The story is so simple that even a two-year-old can completely grasp it. Grandfather Twilight each night, accompanied by his German Shepherd, takes a single pearl out of his chest, walks to the shore, and places the pearl, which becomes the moon, in the sky. He then returns to his bed, with twilight descending upon the world, and goes to bed.
The details in the illustrations are exquisite. My daughter loved, for instance, finding the dog and the cat on each page. This remained one of our nonoptional nighttime books for at least two years. I think it will be among the favorites of any preschooler, as well as their parents. I do believe that this is among the best-illustrated books for young children ever produced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twilight's Coming..., August 21, 2003
Bookaholic (Tampa, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grandfather Twilight (Hardcover)
This beautifully book tells a story about 'Grandfather Twilight', a magical looking man who begins the journey in which he gently brings nighttime to the world. As the reader, you walk the path with him as he travels through the forests with his animal friends. He summons the moon to her full beauty (the moon grows from pearls he has that grow bigger and bigger with each step on the path). He reaches the beach, and the pearl he started his journey with, no bigger than a pebble, has grown into the Moon, and he sends her forth into the night sky, and returns to his home to sleep. Reading this story and studying the illustrations evoked a wondrous sense of calm in my 2.5 year old son. The pictures foster his growing ability to count, identify trees, the sky, and the animals in the story and his world. The story itself captivated him and caused him to pay close attention -- a difficult thing to do at his lively age. I love this book and recommend it to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Peaceful "Goodnight", July 7, 2002
This review is from: Grandfather Twilight (Paperstar Book) (Paperback)
Every evening, Grandfather Twilight "puts down his book", takes out a pearl from the chest in his home among the trees, and begins to walk. The pearl grows bigger and bigger, trailing rosy clouds and bringing the serenity of dusk, until he lifts it up into the sky as the moon.
This book is enchanting, and was my favorite bedtime story from as far back as I can remember. The story seems to flow like the stream and the sky that trails beautifully behind Grandfather Twilight, and the illustrations are wonderful-- just peaceful, feel-like-you're-there-and-want-to-be pictures! Reading gives you the most peaceful and sleepy feeling, and helps you to enjoy the beauty of the surrounding nature-- one of those stories that makes you just glad to "be."

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandfather Twilight, December 11, 1999
Discover (Toledo, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grandfather Twilight (Hardcover)
Our 10 year old daughter said, "You know Mom, I think I appreciate the beauty of the moon because of the book Grandfather Twilight." We read it to her every night when she was little,per her request. It's a beautiful book and parents can make up their own story with the glorious illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars entrancing, November 3, 2004
This review is from: Grandfather Twilight (Paperstar Book) (Paperback)
My boys, aged 2 and 4 both immediately calm down and get ready for sleep when we read this book. It is written and illustrated to propote a calm, peaceful atmosphere. There is something special about this book that stands out from the typical night time book crowd.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true gem, January 31, 2001
By A Customer
Grandfather Twilight is a beautiful book. It is a wonder that the author creates such an atmosphere in such a small book. The story and pictures have a meditative quality similar to Goodnight Moon. The book is calming, beautiful, and somewhat mysterious. I picked this up for an 8 year old girl I take care of and she never gets tired of hearing it, nor I of reading it. Sometimes she'll read it to me and it causes me to just stop and acknowledge the beauty and the wonder of the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless story with glorious artwork..., February 18, 2006
This review is from: Grandfather Twilight (Hardcover)
Expect everyone to maintain a peaceful hush as you read this book aloud. A sense of serenity permeates through the words and is perfectly matched by the illustrations. The imagery captures your senses and the story pulls at your heartstrings. Grandfather Twilight is an endearing character that makes you feel warm and safe. This wonderful book is sure to appeal to all ages (preschool to an older adult). And, it isn't just for bedtime either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern myth, November 11, 2003
This review is from: Grandfather Twilight (Paperstar Book) (Paperback)
This book is a mystical bedtime story that tells a modern myth of where the moon comes from- -Grandfather Twilight takes a pearl out of his trunk each night and places it in the sky. The book is big on pictures and light on words (only about 100), with fewer and fewer words as the story progresses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable, February 23, 2006
This review is from: Grandfather Twilight (Paperstar Book) (Paperback)
I remember reading this book on my 3rd birthday, my mom's friend got it for me and it still has her little message on the inside cover! I LOVE this book, it has the most beautyful illistruations of any book I have read. If you like this book you will Most likley like "When the Sun Rose" by the same author. I love this book and continue to read it when I feel like I need peace and calm. If you're thinking of buying please do you will love it!!

Grandfather Twilight (Paperstar Book)
Grandfather Twilight (Paperstar Book) by Barbara Berger (Paperback - November 12, 1996)
$6.99 $6.29