5.0 out of 5 stars Back to basics with Grammy...
This book is terrific, it absolutely transcended me back to the days in my Grammy's kitchen. Where I learned to joy of cooking. It's not all about the food, it's about building the strength of family. Take a step beyond the measuring cups and remember why food brings people together, gathering together around the dinner is love.

In addition to some pretty...
Published on November 7, 2012 by D. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Bit Country; A Little Bit Big City
Do I think Nan is real? No. Did I think this had some interesting recipes? yes.

Published on November 16, 2012 by 4Nbahu

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to basics with Grammy..., November 7, 2012
D. Smith (SAINT JOHNS, FL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grandma's Secret 52 Sunday Recipes. Nans Perfection (Kindle Edition)

In addition to some pretty awesome recipes, the tips for maintaining a cleanliness - but without slaving in the kitchen - tremendous. To be honest the suggestions should be obvious, nonetheless, they are probably not commonplace. I have now implemented several of the suggestions and hey, guess what? My clean-up time has really decreased!

Good book, super value!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Bit Country; A Little Bit Big City, November 16, 2012
Do I think Nan is real? No. Did I think this had some interesting recipes? yes.

When looking for a cookbook that I want to keep, I look for several things. Does the book describe the types of ingredients that are being used? Are the amounts and directions specific? Are there any personal anecdotes about the recipes being shown? Are there pictures to show me how it should look? Does the recipe give a preparation time? Is the layout of the recipe easy to follow and preferably on one page. For the kindle there is an additional thing I look for. Is there a clickable table of contents? None of these are deal breakers. However, the more of the above questions that are answered in yes , the better chance of me purchasing it.

I come from country and while my grandma could use her cast-iron skillet like some use a whole pan set, I don't ever remember a frittata or fettuccine coming off her stove. Maybe a breakfast casserole, but that is digressing.

So while I don't believe there is a Nan, I liked the recipes. Mostly homey food if not exactly country. The kind that warms you up on a cold day and fills you up after a long day of physical labor.

As for the technical issues, The recipes look easy to follow and tips are littered throughout. Although I couldn't figure out why she would use milk+vinegar for pancakes instead of buttermilk. Except that vinegar might be in more kitchens than buttermilk. And trust me, for my grandma it was lard or bacon grease all the way, olive oil never got introduced.

After digressing, it is kind of fun to read the recipe as the author uses a stereotypical country tone of voice. Some people might get upset at that down home hokey wording, but I just shook my head and kept wondering, has this woman even met someone who lived and raised their own food?

Now I prefer bulleted instructions on my recipes. The author uses a paragraph form with some extra tips. So it would be wise to read the instructions a couple of times before starting, so you know what is coming.

It doesn't have any photos, but it does have a clickable Table of Contents.

CONCLUSION:

For 99 cents this is not a bad cookbook. It has a wide variety of recipes told in a humorous yet informative manner. Not to mention it has clickable table of contents. I have no problem recommending it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipe book., November 12, 2012
This book has so many amazing recipes. To start off, it has a great fried chicken recipe that is so good. Then it has a delicious lasagna recipe that you should all share with your friends. Then to go to desserts, I find that the brownie recipe was the best. It also has some pretty good and simple snack recipes if you really like snacks. The recipes in this book are pretty simple to follow and can be done by just about anybody. This book also has some pretty decent tips to cleaning up your kitchen faster, so if you are struggling with cleaning up your kitchen, this book is for you!

Even if you don't have a grandma, this book is a really good deal, so you should check it out. If you are a fan of great food or just want to bake something simple, I recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars All Of Grandma's Best Recipes, November 10, 2012
This is one of the best books I've read since 2000. This cookbook has tons of family recipes that bring the family together with grandma's comfort food. Grandma (Nan) has some of the greatest recipes. Simple, easy and delicious! Since you can get them on your Kindle they're organized and ready when you are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandma's Recipes for my Family!, November 23, 2012
ou always find yoruself asking your mom or grandma for their secret recipes, and now you can have that same great taste with this book! I found myself back in my grandma's kitchen as a little girl. Smelling all the smells and tasting good home cooked meals. This book really takes you back and out of the world of fast food restaurants!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Home Cooked Food Like Mom Use To Make!, January 28, 2013
My wife and I both love to cook. After we downloaded this cookbook we tried a few of the different recipes for starters. The Sourdough Blueberry Pancakes were mouth-watering, and I absolutely loved the Sinful Turtle Brownies. My wife and I are going to try the Million Dollar Meatloaf next, and I know it is going to be great. If you like easy to follow, great home-cooking, these recipes are the perfect match.

4.0 out of 5 stars visiting and old friend, January 9, 2013
These recipes remind me of being with my grandmother who are now gone, loved remembering the fun and the talks we had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, December 18, 2012
Has some really great recipes and funny stories. I am very glad that I purchased this and have enjoyed several recipes already.

5.0 out of 5 stars What more can I say other than Fantastic..., December 17, 2012
I had lost my interest in cooking and was looking for some inspiration and then I found this wonderful little book. Like others have said - it really did take me back to my childhood as my gran is where I learnt how to cook. Theres so much choice in the book your never stuck for recipes. I have tried so many of the recipes out now and all have turned out just as grandma nan said they would. The book is so well written too and you really do feel comfortable when reading it. Will be recommending to all my friends and family for that perfect recipe book this christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fortune Cookbook, November 9, 2012
Buying this book is like a finding more than 80 years kitchen treasure, since some of the recipes are that old, and are passing from generation to generation. And now I have the honor to have them. The recipes are excellent, and they make the cooking unforgettable pleasure. Not to mention the improvements in culinary skills, the culinary tricks that are revealed, a lot of new ideas, and making easy and comfort food.

Now I'm finally able to surprise my family making meals better than my grandma. Meals really tastes great. I love this book, it opened new kitchen perspective to me. Cooking become passion for me, instead of obligation.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›