Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Style: DP715 Base Station|Change

on October 12, 2012
A good combination of a DECT wireless phone with VoIP technology.

Has the benefits of DECT:
Good battery life for wireless phone
Good range for a home or small office
Clear audio
Inexpensive

With the benefits of VoIP:
Compatible with Asterisk
Supports up to 5 handsets with independent extensions

My only complaints are picky, but keep me from giving it 5 stars:
Assigned extension name/number not visible on display
Distinctive ringer too limited
No charging lamp on extensions
Hard to read buttons in dark room (at home)

Bottom line: I'm happy with it and would buy it again.
on February 1, 2014
i have 8 of these (growing to more than 5 required a second networked base). they are used in conjunction with asterisk and so far do their jobs just fine. just to satisfy possible searches, i'm using these with raspbx, which is freepbx built on top of asterisk and running on a raspberry pi. i recommend the 512MB version - the 256MB version will run the software but will eventually swap, which gets pretty ugly if swap is on your sd card.

pros:
* they work just as advertised.
* i like the feel of the handset.
* backlit display
* the call button doubles as a speakerphone button - once a call is in progress, the button toggles back and forth from speakerphone to normal.
* at least when new, the batteries last a LONG time - 3-4 days, i think.
* (only) very basic settings can be provisioned via network
* provides phone-to-phone intercom/calling across their shared base, with no need for the pbx to be involved

cons:
* the charging bases are very light, so are easy to knock over (or off the table)
* there is no way to provision the phone book, and no way to load/save - each has its own phone book which has to be populated manually. horrible. would subtract one or two more stars if these weren't the cheapest handsets i could find.
* no way to provision the handset name displayed on the handset screen - a problem when they can be carried across the office and you have 8 of them to get confused. get out your label maker ...
* the ring tones are cheesy and annoying
on May 16, 2013
I installed this in our home with four handsets and an Asterisk PBX with Flowroute SIP trunk. The DSP has great voice quality, echo cancelation and noise reduction. I sound better with this phone using G711u codec than I do in person! The handsets lack some features, custom ringtones, backlit keypad, headphone jack, each user can have a different extension and voicemail, (at the PBX) so there is no need for multi line. The configuration is similiar to other ATA's, I've heard people say it's difficult. There is an owners manual available from the Grandstream website that is easy to follow, but I have VoIP experience. Overall, for the price I am extremely satisfied! Bravo!
on March 7, 2015
The plastic is OK for the price, nice to hold and light weight. More comfortable to talk than a mobile phone because it's longer. The main con is that it's does not support HD voice or any wideband codec. And I don't think DECT 6 supports it. DECT has a new standard CAT-iq for IP phones. The size is perfect, nothing to block your desk or table or stand. The front indicators are nice to show if you are connected to the internet and registered with your SIP provider. This is important if your base in installed somewhere via a wifi bridge or powerline, that are less reliable than your modem/router.

The screen is pretty big and the user interface is rather good, like Nokia phones in the pre-iPhone era. The manual that comes with it only shows you how to get it's IP so your browser can find it and configure it. You can google the actual user manual online before you decide to buy it. There's nothing wrong with the sound and the range of DECT is much better than WIFI of course. The blue black light is off unless you do something on it, exactly the same as a non-smart mobile phone if you remembered. So there's no back light even if the phone is on the stand.

If there is problem with the setting or the performance, it could be due to your SIP provider rather than the phone. The SIP standard is old with many options and implementations. The latest phones hardly need any settings if the SIP provider is good with them. I use Callcentric (can I do promotions ?). Their online support list the few items that you need to enter, and say no if you see STUNT and that sort of things.

Ex giant Siemens gave up Gigiset long ago and I got the gem 510 IP at close out for less than this phone. It supported HD voice - once tried and I'm addicted. But the user interface is so bad compared to an Android that I returned it. I regretted it because I just needed the phone to talk while all the fancy stuff I can do it on a soft SIP phone using Android, like caller ID reader, custom ring tone / announcer. You can still use your phonebook on your Android and initiate call with it, but talk on the cordless.

Because I seldom use landline and that's why I am going IP. Since HD voice phones are hard to find for a price that I seldom use, I tried using my old Android as a soft SIP phone. I have great problems with delay and echo. Finally I have to get a bluetooth handset for the android to deal with them. And even if your wifi is perfectly covered in all corners of the house, once in the yard your phone is on your own fending itself from all your neighbour's routers. So, I don't think DECT can be replaced, not with WIFI anyway.

First I got the Grandstream corded IP phone because it's cheaper. I have an old wifi router configured as a bridge so I can install the phone anywhere with wifi coverage, and can also act as a poor men's cordless SIP phone. I'm happy with the HD voice, and the configuration via browser. But that is big and not a true cordless. So I go back to DECT with this.
on October 29, 2012
I purchased this phone for home use with a local SIP server. The lack of g722 is disappointing but the pricepoint makes up for that. As with all grandstream phones, this works well but is lacking some of the fancy fluff features that other phones have. Having said that, it would be harder for a non-technical user to set up. It is very reliable and has excellent sound quality.
on January 16, 2014
I started with the regular sets and have added a couple of these. They are easy to configure and have worked really well. The range is what I expected and the battery is typical of a cordless phone. For this price, I feel pleased with the purchase. I will note that the base only has one ethernet port, so no pass through for the computer so in one case I ran another ethernet cable and on the other one I installed a switch.
on September 2, 2012
I have purchased this to replace my Seimens Gigaset system. This is my first take Grandstream DP710/DP715 is a Beta Release. I am reviewing with firmware Program - 1.0.0.5

Range: Seimens Gigaset has a longer range.

Address book : No way to import, copy or backup from one handset to the other. I have four handsets, so I need to enter my 200 phone #s four times.

Each address book entry holds only one phone #, so you would need to add a completely separate entry for cell phone #, Home Phone #, Office # Etc.

Address book Names aren't separated first and last so a search would be the first letter of your entry only.

Time settings: I use Eastern Daylight Standard time. I was difficult to set properly. I needed program syntax like MTZ+5MDT+4,M3.2.0,M11.1.0 in order to get the correct time.

Add a Handet process: You need power up and down the base, except if you are by your computer then you can do it via with web interface.

Intercom: doesn't have a page all. You can call only an individual handset.

The least I can say am not impressed at with the Grandstream DP715/DP710 purchase.
44 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2015
This phone is significantly cheaper than other DECT/SIP phones however its also very basic. If you're a casual home user in need of a simple SIP phone for an occasional call this might be fine, but I wouldn't purchase this if you used the phone more than a few times per week.

Cons:
1) Cheap components. This phone is very light weight and you can feel the body flex when you press the keys.
2) Must add phone book entires to each handset individually
3) Speakerphone is very poor - almost unusable. I'd compare it to a speakerphone from the 90's (no where near as good as your cell phone speakerphone for example)
4) Poor range. If you put more than a few walls between you and the base callers start having a hard time hearing you. If I step outside, it stops working all together. For comparison, with my Panasonic DECT phone I can cross the street and get the mail without any issue
5) The phone itself is very, very small (50% smaller than a panasonic DECT phone) making it difficult (for me) to hold for long conversations.

Pros:
1) Price. Other DECT/SIP Phones run 2x the price (or more)
2) Non-Speakerphone Audio Quality Is Fine
on February 28, 2015
I recently went away from big old nasty cable company, not named for security reasons. I found a great point-to-point internet service that also provides VOIP services. Well, I threw them for a loop when the installer saw I had IP, not analog, phones. In talking with their "Second Tier" support, we were able to get this base station registered to their SIP service! Call quality is great, setup can be a bit daunting as you'll want to set QOS on your router, It would have been easier to have an old analog handset but why when you have IP service?

*update* I returned these phones, I had bought an extra handset, because the VOIP provider couldn't keep the phones from being port swept. That meant the phone ringing at 3am because of hackers. So I went with another provider and didn't want the same problem, so I used the modem they provided which meant using analog phones. It would be nice for companies that provide VOIP service to realize there are phones like this out there and have a plan to connect them for the customer. I mean, what is customer service for anyway?

So i reduced the stars from 5 to 3. I know the phones work, it's not Grandstream's fault but in good conscience, I can't give an excellent rating when there is no support.
on December 17, 2013
I was able to blindly set these up (dp715 & dp710) with an existing FreePBX installation. The SIP registration was dead simple - just make sure to save settings on each page before navigating away to another section of the web config for the dp715. Then make sure your passwords and extensions match the FreePBX configured settings.

Update: Feb 2014 - I bought a 2nd dp715 handset for a remote location, and it worked great over our VPN. However the handset display recently stopped working; remains backlit with the blue light, but no text is displayed. I'm in the process of finding out what the warranty there is and I will try and have it repaired / replaced.

Also there is a echo bug present when sound is maxed; however beta firmware 1.0.0.26 resolves that issue according to their release notes.