4.0 out of 5 stars Good wireless VoIP phone
A good combination of a DECT wireless phone with VoIP technology.

Has the benefits of DECT:

Supports up to 5 handsets with independent extensions

My...
Published on October 12, 2012 by HotBits

2.0 out of 5 stars Not ready for prime time
I have purchased this to replace my Seimens Gigaset system. This is my first take Grandstream DP710/DP715 is a Beta Release. I am reviewing with firmware Program - 1.0.0.5

Range: Seimens Gigaset has a longer range.

Published on September 2, 2012 by NYC Oline Shopper

4.0 out of 5 stars Good wireless VoIP phone, October 12, 2012
This review is from: Grandstream GS-DP715 VoIP DECT IP Cordless Phone (Office Product)
A good combination of a DECT wireless phone with VoIP technology.

Has the benefits of DECT:

With the benefits of VoIP:
Compatible with Asterisk
Supports up to 5 handsets with independent extensions

My only complaints are picky, but keep me from giving it 5 stars:
Assigned extension name/number not visible on display
Distinctive ringer too limited
No charging lamp on extensions
Hard to read buttons in dark room (at home)

Bottom line: I'm happy with it and would buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality at a Fantastic Price Point, May 16, 2013
I installed this in our home with four handsets and an Asterisk PBX with Flowroute SIP trunk. The DSP has great voice quality, echo cancelation and noise reduction. I sound better with this phone using G711u codec than I do in person! The handsets lack some features, custom ringtones, backlit keypad, headphone jack, each user can have a different extension and voicemail, (at the PBX) so there is no need for multi line. The configuration is similiar to other ATA's, I've heard people say it's difficult. There is an owners manual available from the Grandstream website that is easy to follow, but I have VoIP experience. Overall, for the price I am extremely satisfied! Bravo!

4.0 out of 5 stars decent handsets, February 1, 2014
Dewey Hylton (winston-salem, nc, US) - See all my reviews
i have 8 of these (growing to more than 5 required a second networked base). they are used in conjunction with asterisk and so far do their jobs just fine. just to satisfy possible searches, i'm using these with raspbx, which is freepbx built on top of asterisk and running on a raspberry pi. i recommend the 512MB version - the 256MB version will run the software but will eventually swap, which gets pretty ugly if swap is on your sd card.

pros:
* they work just as advertised.
* i like the feel of the handset.
* backlit display
* the call button doubles as a speakerphone button - once a call is in progress, the button toggles back and forth from speakerphone to normal.
* at least when new, the batteries last a LONG time - 3-4 days, i think.
* (only) very basic settings can be provisioned via network
* provides phone-to-phone intercom/calling across their shared base, with no need for the pbx to be involved

cons:
* the charging bases are very light, so are easy to knock over (or off the table)
* there is no way to provision the phone book, and no way to load/save - each has its own phone book which has to be populated manually. horrible. would subtract one or two more stars if these weren't the cheapest handsets i could find.
* no way to provision the handset name displayed on the handset screen - a problem when they can be carried across the office and you have 8 of them to get confused. get out your label maker ...
* the ring tones are cheesy and annoying

2.0 out of 5 stars Not ready for prime time, September 2, 2012

Range: Seimens Gigaset has a longer range.

Address book : No way to import, copy or backup from one handset to the other. I have four handsets, so I need to enter my 200 phone #s four times.

Each address book entry holds only one phone #, so you would need to add a completely separate entry for cell phone #, Home Phone #, Office # Etc.

Address book Names aren't separated first and last so a search would be the first letter of your entry only.

Time settings: I use Eastern Daylight Standard time. I was difficult to set properly. I needed program syntax like MTZ+5MDT+4,M3.2.0,M11.1.0 in order to get the correct time.

Add a Handet process: You need power up and down the base, except if you are by your computer then you can do it via with web interface.

Intercom: doesn't have a page all. You can call only an individual handset.

The least I can say am not impressed at with the Grandstream DP715/DP710 purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars great for a grandstream, October 29, 2012
I purchased this phone for home use with a local SIP server. The lack of g722 is disappointing but the pricepoint makes up for that. As with all grandstream phones, this works well but is lacking some of the fancy fluff features that other phones have. Having said that, it would be harder for a non-technical user to set up. It is very reliable and has excellent sound quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfit for purpose, September 22, 2014
First of all a bit of background. I bought this as a replacement for the gigaset a580 IP manufactured by Siemens which I had for 5 years. (It is sold on Amazon too) As I travel frequently a voip phone is a vital communications tool. I think I am computer literate since I am Microsoft, Cisco and Linux certified..

The phone arrived promptly all wrapped up and neatly packaged.

The manual was a bit iffy (non intuitive ) but there are support pages on the web. I configured the phone, logging the steps taken and made my first call to verify that it worked. However the configuration was hit and miss with no errors to indicate miss steps
and a poorly designed web .gui

My first grief was that unlike the gigaset a580 I could only load one sip account at a time. Since it was a cheaper product, that was a blow I could roll with. the configuration was hit and miss with no errors to indicate miss stepped

Dialing is hit and miss, to get a connection I would have to dial around 5 times on average.At first I thought I had configured it wrong, then out of the blue with no changes made it would connect. This is totally unacceptable.

I can confirm that it is not a connection issue.because I have the same accounts configured on my smartphone using the mobilevoip app and I do not have this problem.

To me this product should still be iin the testing phase and Amazon should seriously look at the claims the company are making on product performance. I have now stopped using it altogether and would advise anyone looking to spend their well earned money on this product to seriously beware.

I have looked at Grandstreams youtube videos for this device and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Because I feel the endorsers are only sayiing what they have been paid to say

The only thing that can restore my confidence(in the company not the product ) is if I receive a refund, but as I am not going to be in the USA for another six months that seems unlikely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive SIP phone - used with FreePBX, December 17, 2013
Abysal (Wilmington, DE United States) - See all my reviews
I was able to blindly set these up (dp715 & dp710) with an existing FreePBX installation. The SIP registration was dead simple - just make sure to save settings on each page before navigating away to another section of the web config for the dp715. Then make sure your passwords and extensions match the FreePBX configured settings.

Update: Feb 2014 - I bought a 2nd dp715 handset for a remote location, and it worked great over our VPN. However the handset display recently stopped working; remains backlit with the blue light, but no text is displayed. I'm in the process of finding out what the warranty there is and I will try and have it repaired / replaced.

Also there is a echo bug present when sound is maxed; however beta firmware 1.0.0.26 resolves that issue according to their release notes.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm really liking Grandstream, January 16, 2014
D. White (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
I started with the regular sets and have added a couple of these. They are easy to configure and have worked really well. The range is what I expected and the battery is typical of a cordless phone. For this price, I feel pleased with the purchase. I will note that the base only has one ethernet port, so no pass through for the computer so in one case I ran another ethernet cable and on the other one I installed a switch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great entry VoIP system!, December 15, 2013
This is a super buy for a new VoIP phone system. I'm using RingCentral, and I had these set up in 5 minutes at location 1 after a quick call to tech support. I had them set up in 2 minutes with no call to tech support in location 2 based on what I learned in location 1. Since they are SIP compatible, it was a breeze!

I am a novice at best when it comes to VoIP. By no means an expert. Basically a small business owner who did a fair amount if research. If your VoIP service is SIP compatible, these should work for you!

5 stars if they were headset compatible.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the unschooled, December 4, 2013
The phone is very basic in features, has no headset port. The documentation is also not very comprehensive, so if you are a home user thinking this is a plug and play, you will not get this to work. It functions fine as a phone.