5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for a good price.
Great product with a good finish and looks strong even if it is made with light plastic.

I cancelled my land line as they were charging $30 per month. I went with voip-ms and now it costs me $1 per month plus 1 cent per minute. I will probably save about $25 per month with this device, so it will pay for itself within only 1 month.

Physical...
Published 14 months ago by John

2.0 out of 5 stars Support somewhat lacking
Basic functions okay. Had phantom rings. Support on advanced features slow and unclear. The manual was not much help either.
Published 4 months ago by David Marberry

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for a good price., August 6, 2013
This review is from: Grandstream GS-HT701 Handytone 701 ATA Analog Telephone Adapter (Office Product)

Physical installation is very simple, just plug it to the router and plug a phone to it. However, configuration is tricky if you are not knowledgeable with the technology and the terminology. Basically you configure the ATA by setting the account number, password and server ip address that voip-ms (or other provider) gives you. You access the ATA with a computer by typing ip address in your browser. You can obtain its ip address by dialing *** with your phone or look at the setting that your router assigned to the ATA.

Voice quality is excellent. It sounds just like my wired line. I actually connected the ATA to a phone plug in my room so that all phone plugs work around the house. Make sure you disconnect your "house" from the wired line coming from your landline provider. It is a small box-connector near the electricity consumption meter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works! And Works Well, May 26, 2013
Hermin Hollerith, Maker of Tacky Wreaths in t... (Ann Arbor, MI and Generally Man of the World) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
There's not much to see here -- as in this thing is tiny. Obvious choice if you're traveling, but also an obvious choice of you're looking to have VoIP service and don't want to take up a lot of space on your desk. Even has mounting holes to stick it on a wall or backboard (which is exactly what I do with my networking devices).

Configuration is easy, although this particular package does not come with documentation. You must visit the Grandstream web site and download the PDF. Documentation is acceptable, but if you are new to VoIP, budget some time to get acquainted with it. You may find help in your VoIP provider's set-up guides, even if they don't specifically have documentation for this particular model.

The web interface is simple and speeds deployment. There's also a command line telnet interface.

Two issues I had with it, one is that the DHCP client on it doesn't offer a way to release the IP without burning down the entire config (it was my fault it ended up with that IP in the first place). The bigger issue is that the ordering of preferred encoding profiles doesn't necessarily work well with my provider. I had to hard set everything to one specific codec in order to get audio on outbound calls. I don't know if this is a provider issue or an issue related to this unit, but if you buy it and have problems with your audio on outbound calls, try that.

Five stars though; can't beat the price nor the performance. This unit replaces my trusty InterEdge that died an untimely death during a thunderstorm. There would have been a bit of a funeral, but after seeing the Grandstream in action, the Interedge was tossed into the trash and quickly forgotten. Love can be so fickle.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love These, April 10, 2014
I use them all the time for VoIP deployments. They are very simple to use and they configure in 2 minutes flat. I have probably 200 of them floating around in the world, so i am a believer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for simple VoIP service, January 28, 2013
Amazon Customer "Real Person" (CLEMMONS, NC, United States) - See all my reviews
Using with Phone Power even though it isn't officially supported (they do support its predecessor).

Works perfectly after opening up the appropriate ports on my router/firewall to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great from home, but if you are thinking of using it in hotel rooms, it doesn't work that well., September 5, 2014
S. Power (Austin, Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I travel a lot for work and got this thinking that I could use it from hotel rooms to save on my calls home when traveling. It didn't really work at all for this, but I didn't want to take stars away from it, because it does work great from a home wired broadband internet connection. At home we tested it by plugging it into our 300mbps down/20 mbps up Time Warner Connection and used it with our multi-handset wireless phone system. It provided full featured phone service for our entire house. If you want to use your existing phone jacks to get the service throughout your house, you can actually plug this into one jack, and its signal will be available to all the other phone jacks in your house. It surprised me that this wiring worked, but it did.

Despite our successes at home, here was my issues trying to use this from hotels:

1. Many hotels now just have wireless internet access. There is no easy way to connection this box into a WIFI wireless internet network. If you are computer savy, there are ways you can do it, by connecting your computer the WIFI and then sharing the internet connection through your computer's ethernet port, but this is pretty tricky for the typical user.

2. Even hotels that have wired internet in the rooms, require that you authenticate the device's MAC address through a browser. This is pretty much impossible to do. You are better off connecting wirelessly with a computer and then sharing the connection the way I discuss in point 1.

Basically, I was unable to use this box for the principle thing I got it for. If that is how you planned to use it, you should reconsider.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little box for the money, November 1, 2012
Was very easy to set up, using the online documentation, and instructions from my provider. VoIP is the way to go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy setup, works great, June 26, 2014
I'm using this with voip.ms and it's working great. I have both a cordless handset and a fax machine hooked up to it, both are able to send/receive calls fine. No problems with ringer levels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for call centers, June 15, 2014
Working in a call center with a SIP based dialer, this little guy makes it super easy to tap into that phone system and monitor my agents on the move with a standard cordless phone.

I have since bought an 8 port system from the same company and it works like a champ.

Giving it 4 stars because the UI could use a revamp to simplify or reword the configuration. But not a deal breaker by any means, still a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, June 12, 2014
If you are looking for the cheapest SIP device that works great, this is for you. I have a server with Asterisk running on it and it connected just fine. Setup was really easy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Support somewhat lacking, May 19, 2014