4.0 out of 5 stars Can do!
The Granite Ware 21-Quart Covered Preserving Canner with Rack is a light-weight, lidded pot with a steel canning rack. As promised, the rack holds seven quart jars and with a little ingenuity, it can hold nine pint jars.

Published on October 1, 2008 by H. Grace

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so good canner
The canner rack was so flimsy that it actually bent when the canning jars were being put onto the rack. The hooks for holding the rack up on the side kept giving way and allowing the jars to fall into the water before the rack was filled
Published on July 21, 2007 by Lisa Foster

4.0 out of 5 stars Can do!, October 1, 2008
This review is from: Granite Ware 0707-1 Steel/Porcelain Water-Bath Canner with Rack, 21.5-Quart, Black (Kitchen)

This canner is larger than most burners and may cause stovetop surface stains when used for extended periods. It cleans easily, holds the temperature and seems well constructed for such an inexpensive piece.

The graphic on the Amazon product page shows the canner with the rack lifted up and supported by the edge of pot. I was a tad nervous about lifting seven filled quart jars but the rack, though light-weight, was up to the task.

The only issue I have is with the height. To immerse seven one-quart jars with two inches of water above the lids means splashing or overflow will happen. I found no work-around for this problem but, for someone like me whose needs are limited (about 100 jars per season) this canner is a great addition.

If storage space was limited in this household, I would have an additional issue with the size of the canner. That's not a problem for me but it could be a consideration.

For those considering purchasing this as a stockpot as well as a canner, look elsewhere. The steel and enamel coating are too thin for anything beyond boiling water.

I am glad I made this purchase, it suits our purposes well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so good canner, July 21, 2007

4.0 out of 5 stars Home Canner, November 9, 2006
Janice R. Manning "Cookie" (Framingham, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I like the canner and have used it many times since purchasing it. The only problem is the holder that holds the canning jars. It is made such that 8 oz. and 4 oz. canning jars fall through making it difficult to lift the jars out after processing.

3.0 out of 5 stars You don't need one (updated), September 2, 2010
I'm a beginner canner and have been looking into the different supplies needed- including a water bath system. After reading the reviews on this product I went to a local store and checked them out. The negative reviews were confirmed- these are very flimsy and cheap, even the one I was looking at was all dinged up and damaged. I went home and looked into it and it turns out you can use any large pot for water bath canning so long as you have something between the bottom of the pot and the glass jars (connecting some canning bands together seems to be the cheapest and easiest option). Although you miss out on having a rack that you can elevate and rest on the pot- I don't think I'd trust this cheap rack to elevate seven quart jars anyways. I thought this information might be helpful to anyone who doesn't have a lot of extra storage space for a really big pot but wants to start canning, like me!

UPDATE:
Since writing this review I have gotten into larger scale canning and had to invest in one of these large water-bath canners. Even though I knew they were thin and not the best quality I went ahead and bought one online and hoped for the best (for the price I guess the quality isn't terrible). It arrived undamaged and worked fine. I do like the rack, which makes things easy when you are doing a bunch of jars. As I predicted above it can get a little sketchy when dealing with a bunch of big hot jars, but it is kind of nice when you are dealing with a bunch of smaller jars. I do occasionally have visions of being scalded to death while canning. It is really big and a pain to store when not in use, but hey, that is to be expected. One advantage to the large size is you can keep all your canning supplies inside of it. I wish they were made of thicker metal- still don't like how flimsy and cheap they are.

I'm changing my star rating to 3 stars to reflect the update.

4.0 out of 5 stars Covered Canner With Rack, August 3, 2008
Good Product, arrived quickly and in perfect condition. Used it for my first ever canning experience. It worked great. I found that the rack will not hold pint/half pint jars without them slipping through. Will have to purchase a different rack if canning in smaller jars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Waterbath Canner, November 3, 2006
This canner is good for tomatoes and fruits. It holds 7 of the larger jars and has a rack. The color matches my kitchen decor well and so I also use it for decoration if the off season. The lid and pan are sturdy and after proper shipping it had no dents or dings. The USFDA does not reccommend this type of canning for foods with low acidity, however border line items, such as tomotoes, you can add a minimal amount of lemon juice to increase this and it does not affect flavor. This product is fairly light weight, especially considering the size. Make sure yours comes with a rack!

5.0 out of 5 stars Novice canner, September 14, 2007
I only started canning this year and this canner is great. Although I use mostly pints this canner is large enough that I don't have to add water during the process. I bought a pint rack separately and it works great in this canner. I have a ceramic top stove and this canner heats up quickly--especially with the lid on.

2.0 out of 5 stars Concave Bottom, March 31, 2009
Mine dented when weight was applied. Contacted customer service (not Amazon) and they've never responded.

You need to know that the bottom of this water-bath-canner is very concave which is only recommended for gas stoves. The National Center for Home Food Preservation recommends only flat bottomed canners for use on electric or flat-top stoves. I will not be able to use this canner now because of this.

At first use, the shiny coat came off of the bottle rack. It left a terrible dust coat over all of my bottles.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Price, October 7, 2008
Pretty much what I expected. The rack is a little difficult to work with unless using large jars. No problem using it on my ceramic cooktop.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy!, June 5, 2011
After only a week of canning with this water bath canner, it developed a hole which not only ruined the pot, but also from all the water leaked from it, ruined my electric stove top. I called the company and they did send me a replacement (which also developed a hole in under a month), but refused to replace or repair my electric stove. Stay away from this product and company. I've now owned 2 of these water bath canners and they both were ruined within 1 month of summer canning. What a waste of money!