on July 28, 2012
Probably a 4-5 star product on its own merits, but I'm deducting stars for misinformation - see below.

First, the image on Amazon shows a tarp that is entirely blue. If the order page indicates the color as "blueberry/cloud", the tarp you receive will be half blue and half white, divided along the 10' ridgeline (8'x10' version). A minor gripe. If you want to see what this 2-color scheme looks like, do a quick YouTube search.

Second, while the Amazon page is short on specifics, a quick web search reveals that the weight of the 8'x10' model is supposedly 19 oz. The product tag on the tarp says this as well, and further indicates that the 19 oz includes the lightweight guylines shipped in the package. The problem is that even without guylines, the 8'x10' tarp I received actually weighs 25 oz. I double-checked the size...triple-checked the weight...even removed the tiedown straps from the sides and corners to see if they were the source of the discrepancy, but to no avail. I emailed Granite Gear to inquire if they had some known quality control issue with a batch of tarps (e.g. maybe the Chinese factory - yes, it is made in China - used a heavier grade of sil-nylon...?) and/or if they have any exchange/return policy to compensate for what appears to be false advertising, but I have so far received no response. In my book, false advertising is a 2-3 star penalty at least, but I will be happy to revise this review if I receive a suitable response from Granite Gear.

Complaints aside, the tarp itself appears to be well constructed. All edges are reinforced with heavier black nylon webbing stitched to the lightweight tarp material. Anchors at the corners and midpoint of each side consist of adjustable webbing straps with loops at their ends suitable for attachment to tent stakes or guylines. At either end of the ridgeline, the webbing straps have a multi-loop arrangement that allows them to be readily secured around the handle of a trekking pole. The ridgeline is also nylon reinforced along its length and includes a substantially reinforced, triangular guyout point in the middle. On the inner side of the tarp directly below this central guyout point, there is a small loop suitable for hanging a flashlight or other small item. The integrated stuff sack is positioned, somewhat oddly in my opinion, along one of the long edges of the tarp, partway between corner and midpoint anchors. This means that in a ground-hugging pup-tent style pitch, the stuff sack will be resting on the ground. While I may have missed it, there does not appear to be a provision to roll up or otherwise stash the stuff sack so that it does not hang free of the tarp edge. Not a major point, but worth noting since the stuff sack is not shown in any of the product photos. Stored in the sack, the tarp measures roughly 9.5" x 6.5" x 4".
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on October 20, 2010
First off, the tarp is completely worth the money. There are lesser tarps out there that might have a more appealing price tag but this tarp will stand up in the strongest winds. I went on a backpacking trip to Roan Mountain along the AT that is famous for high winds and freezing rain. I pitched this right on the side of the bald facing North to North East. That night through rain and wind the tarp completely kept me dry and out of the wind. My friends who were tent camping suffered water on the floor of the tent.

Cons: with only grommit loops on the corners and middle it can be difficult to keep low to the ground.

EXCELLENT TARP!!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again