5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight But Not Light Duty
Published on February 11, 2005 by Reed Mclurkin

3.0 out of 5 stars My first dissapointment with Gransfors.
I own six different styles of Gransfors axes and hatchet's. Up until now, I have been overly pleased and completely happy with their tools. This hatchet however appears to have been made by an apprentice, as it is no where near the quality of my other Gransfors. The metal seems to have been shaped before it was ready...many large pits and rough finish. I suppose it...
Published 12 months ago by Edward M. Tobin

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight But Not Light Duty, February 11, 2005
I purchased this item at $75 based upon recommendations from others who were extremely satisfied. First of all, this is a tiny hatchet, however, it is the finest made hatchet I have ever used. Gone are the days of toiling with cheaper sub-par equipment. I hesitated at the price initially, but it has been well worth it. At this price ($50) it is a steal. But watch out this axe is razor sharp (yes, you can shave with it) so watch your fingers. It comes with a comprehensive users guide and a full leather sheath. It is perfect for kindling, and can even be used as a spatula. It should be in every outdoorsman's collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice!, November 23, 2011
This review is from: Wildlife Hatchet (Tools & Home Improvement)
I'd pondered the idea of the GB and Wetterlings axes and hatchets for a few years before being able to afford them. I initially chose the GB over the Wetterlings based on my research, which indicated the more expensive GB axes and hatchets are better finished than the Wetterlings. I never got the chance to handle the Wetterlings in person before purchasing to compare the two side by side. I handled the GB in person before pulling the trigger and decided it was worth the price.

They're expensive, yes. But if you're the type who appreciates quality tools, is looking for a lifetime purchase, and subscribes to "buy once, cry once" you'll be more than satisfied with this hatchet. If not, you'll never be happy due to the high price tag.

My hatchet arrived very nicely finished with no mill scale and a nicely sharpened edge. I unsnapped the sheath, gave it a few licks on a strop, and shaved hair off my arm no problem. The wood handle is executed well and the leather sheath is useful and unobtrusive. It feels nice in the hand and balances well. It's the kind of item that hasn't changed for a hundred years and there's a good reason for that.

I highly recommend this hatchet. Very rarely is such a simple item so well made and so beautifully executed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Hatchet Of This Size, August 27, 2010
James D Kirk Jr (Culloden,, WV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wildlife Hatchet (Tools & Home Improvement)
I'm sort of confused by some of the other reviews saying this hatchet it "tiny" and also that it weighs a pound.

Mine is 14" long with a 3" cutting edge and weighs about a pound and a half.

I have handled very few custom made hatchets that had as good an edge as this one and it is one of the most agressive choppers of any hatchet of this size I have ever tried.

For me it's a little heavy for backpacking unless you were going in winter and needed to really chop a lot of wood for that I usually bring the Gransfors Bruks mini.

4.0 out of 5 stars Used it for a few months now and..., July 22, 2013
This review is from: Wildlife Hatchet (Tools & Home Improvement)
It’s a Great axe, as most will tell you, very sharp, but know that there is a lot of hype out there. This axe had a few issues with cutting hairs on my arm out of the box. A quick touch up with a fine stone solved that. The steel quality itself is fantastic, so there’s value where it counts. The finish seems a bit rushed, it’s rough, a bit uneven and poorly stamped. I know these are hand forged with the large power hammer they use (there’s a sweet video of it on YouTube by the way) So I understand they will not be highly machined, symmetrical, CAD drawing come to life stuff, and I’m fine with that, it’s very cool actually, but bear with me and I’ll give some examples of the difference between handmade uniqueness and a product made maybe a bit too quickly. First off, the very bottom tip of the blade edge is flat, only about a mil in length, but I noticed it within the first few seconds out of the box. Not a big deal, it effects very little and will be gone after a few years of use. Second, and call me superficial, I know, but I would have loved to be able to read the stamp "Gransfors Bruks Sweden" that comes stamped on all of their heads. And if I didn't know any better, I would say there is no "Sweden" on that stamp at all. It must have been struck too lightly or that stamp was worn out. Same with the other stamp including the maker’s initials and logo. The crown is barely visible and the makers name is deeply imprinted, implying a crooked strike. Third, the grain isn’t perfect. It’s alright, about 30 degrees off being dead in line with the head, certainly acceptable, especially for a hatchet of all axes, but the best should be the best. Fourth, the metal wedge that goes in the eye after the wooden wedge, it wasn’t fully hammered in, sticking out about 1.5mm. Not a big deal, I just set it in the rest of the way with a small punch and hammer. Of course none of these things really affected the performance of this axe to much degree. It is as wonderful to use as everyone says they are. I have the carving axe, forest axe, and this hatchet, two of which are of this same quality. For being the most expensive of the higher quality axes, one should expect nothing less than excellence. I hope someone at gransfors is listening, you’re a symbol of peoples return to quality and the rejection of the buy and throw away culture that is destroying human respectability. You are a symbol of peoples return to true craftsmanship. You may feel that you simply make good axes and that I am being a bit crazy about a company that makes tools, but to many, you are much more than that. You’re showing people what life is about. like raising chickens instead of buying eggs from a superstore, remembering that life is more than having everything convenient. It’s about some of the things we skip out on trying to be convenient.

I got a little serious there. umm...... yeah its a pretty good hatchet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice piece of art, worth the money!!, February 2, 2012
This review is from: Wildlife Hatchet (Tools & Home Improvement)
This item was not in my list of gear to have, cause I always carry a Machete, but let me tell you that for chopping small sticks for fire is better than my old machete. It is a piece of art, a little expensive but it worth the price. A long life item that you can pass for generations and generations.

Regards

Allan Y.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Hatchet, December 18, 2011
This review is from: Wildlife Hatchet (Tools & Home Improvement)
First off this is a great little hatchet and the quality is amazing. I mostly use it for splitting kindling for my wood stove but it will chop and split bigger pieces of wood if needed. It also chops small trees and limbs without much effort at all. Actually its pretty surprising what you can accomplish with this hatchet. Its great around the campsite too...highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, December 23, 2012
This review is from: Wildlife Hatchet (Tools & Home Improvement)
This is a fantastic little hatchet. This one is actually a gift and he loved lt!. We have one and it is an awesome tool. The craftsmanship is remarkable. Everyone who enjoys hunting, fishing ,camping or enjoying the out doors should have one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gransfors Bruks: Simply put, the best there is!, November 9, 2008
Great little hatchet, sharp as a razor. Fulfills my needs perfectly. Very nice folks on the phone. I am completely satisfied with both the product and my customer experience with Treeline.

Mike in Incline Village.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes... you could spend a 1/3 less... BUT..., April 10, 2009
CYRIL (United States) - See all my reviews
This is one amazing little axe! Weighing in at 1LB... there is not much out the there "in the World" that can compete with the strength, quality and sheer outright abuse that this axe can take. Every backpacker and BOB should have one of these. I believe in buying quality and after seeing what this axe was capable of in the field without losing and edge sold me. You could get a Gerber/Fiskar for less than $40... but this is worth the extra money in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd trust my life to this tool., November 9, 2013
This review is from: Wildlife Hatchet (Tools & Home Improvement)
I wanted to wait awhile to write a review on this hatchet. So, it's been a few months. I've taken it camping, cut fire wood logs with it, carved stakes, and I will use it to build my house. And a chainsaw, of course. But this thing is so well made, razor sharp right out of the box, and if you keep it sharp regularly, it won't need any serious sharpening tools. I watched a lot of videos all around the web before I chose this hatchet. I also treated the handle with boiled linseed oil, then wrapped it with goat skin lace, and made a leather belt loop holder for the handle to slide down into. I'd trust my life to this tool. And I'm certain many others have said the same thing.

Wildlife Hatchet