on November 17, 2012
I bought an EVGA 660ti first, it's too noisy. So I returned it.

After some investigation, I bought this ASUS 660ti. It's really much quieter than EVGA.

For now, it's perfect to me.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 11, 2013
This is definitely one of the best cards I have purchased. I bought this card to replace an old nvidia GTX 470 and so far, the GTX 660 Ti OC has been a much better experience. Compared GTX 470, this card is much more reliable with windows 8 and is dead silent. I have been observing the Asus monitoring software that came with the card and the fan speed is always at about 10%, even under load and the temperature have never exceeded 72 °C. In addition, my particular card automatically brings the boost clock up to 1150 MHz, (~100 MHz faster then the 1058 MHz advertised speed). I have not run into any problems playing games with this card. I can max out the settings on Assassin's Creed III. I ran a test comparing the two graphics cards with Unigine Heaven 4.0 with the following settings:

Directx 11
Quality: high
Tessellation: normal
Antialiasing: x4
Resolution: 1080p
Results: The GTX 470 had a score of 644, while the GTX 660 Ti OC had a score of 1015.

The one weakness with the GTX 660 ti series in general is the bandwidth. As newer games come out, I suspect this will have the biggest impact on antialiasing, which will have to be lowered to maintain 60 fps.

I would also like to mention however, that the first GTX 660 Ti OC I received I had to RMA. The card never displayed an image. I knew the computer was starting up because I could hear it log into windows. I contacted Asus technical support, and they told me to try and RMA the card with Amazon first because it would be faster (and they were right). Amazon replaced the card with no questions asked. After completing the online form, Amazon sent out a new card immediately with 1 day shipping and gave me a month to send the old card back, free of charge. Very impressive service.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 30, 2013
I'm running this with a 1112-1136 MHz core clock with a 2560x1440p monitor. I just have to say, this thing will get you where you want to go. Grid 2 looks absolutely AMAZING with my setup. If I were to add another one, it would look all that much better. Maybe with 3 1440's (hey, a man can dream, right?). Awesome value. I'd say, personally, that especially with the way prices look now, that this gives you more bang for your buck than the 760.

System Specs:
Cooler Master Elite 430
Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling System (Upgrading to a custom 400x200mm radiator system soon)
AMD FX-8320 @ 4.5 GHz (for now)
ASUS GTX 660 Ti OC edition
Corsair Enthusiast TX-750 PSU 750 Watt
ASUS PB278Q 1440p monitor

Get this card. Like now.
on August 29, 2013
I upgraded from a 5850 and am very happy. As I only purchased it in early August 2013, I had plenty of reviews to determine how much of a bump I'd get. I particularly compared it to the regular 660 and decided that the $30-40 premium was worth a typically 15-20% improvement in game FPS. Normally I use DriverCleaner to ensure a thorough removal of the previous graphics drivers, but now that DriverCleaner is no longer freeware, I decided to try using only the AMD driver uninstall program that you can download. I then used the boxed Asus/Nvidia driver install program and no problem. After confirming the boxed drivers worked fine, I later upgraded to the latest drivers, all experiencing no problems so far

I am a silent PC nut--I have changed all PC case fans to quiet ones, down-voltaged most on top fo that, use a large CPU cooler, and have vibration foam on much of the inside of my case. The reviews indicated that this Asus with the dual fan drivers are amongst the quietest for the 660Ti and I can confirm that. However, at idle this card is slightly more noisy than my prior Powercolor PCS, which was noted as perhaps the quietest actively-cooled 5850. It's likely simply due to a difference in the sonic signatures of the fans, given both are spinning quite low, rather than the OC'ing on the Asus. Keep in mind my PC is especially quiet, and certainly during any activityh where you are using your speakers you won't hear this card.

The enclosed Asus utility (GPU Tweak) for controlling the video card is quite effective--the software lets you customize the OC speed and fan speed. Many video cards are not easily controlled with 3rd party software, so having this included is very useful. The utility also allows you to save distinct profiles so you can automatically select a highly OC and high fan speed profile for certain games, for instance, and then revert back to a quiet profile when done.

Net, I wholeheartedly recommend this card. I have owned perhaps 12 graphics cards to date (I have 4 desktops working now in my home and I regularly build new ones to replace aging systems), and this one ranks fine in terms of no problems and quiet. Most of mine have been Asus and Gigabyte cards, after some bad experiences with other brands.
on October 24, 2013
Although this card is fast and quiet, it is not compatible with Secure Boot on a Dell XPS 8700 using Windows 8.1. Using secure boot causes 5 beeps and then prevents access to the BIOS. The PC does continue to boot to W8.1. The only way to regain BIOS access is to remove the ASUS card and use the OEM card or the onboard graphics. After accessing the BIOS, secure boot can be disabled and this will prevent the problem from reoccurring. The ASUS NVidia 660ti can then be reinstalled and used with a disabled secure boot. However, a disabled secure boot will cause a watermark message to always appear on the desktop. Also, this problem did not occur when using Windows 8.0. It started after upgrading to W8.1. I have seen other posts about this secure boot graphics compatibility problem on the internet. ASUS has a firmware upgrade to fix the problem but they say it only works with ASUS motherboards. Apparently, graphics cards will now have to be certified to work with specific PC vendors regardless of the MB slot type.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 5, 2014
I choose Amazon because of their good customer service when it comes to returns/exchanges in case you have any issues,.

This is a solid card if you're looking to buy a card that's reasonably future proof for the next 2 years at least (at least if you're willing to play some more demanding games on High/Very high rather than Ultra). I haven't over clocked it beyond the factory setting, but it plays AC4/Skyrim/BF3/Skyrim/Bioshock Infinite on Ultra, Splinter Cell Blacklist on Very High with ease and great FPS. No noise, keeps pretty cool (50-60) degrees on high demand and no over clock. The only issue I have is occasional screen tearing even with vsync on. I switched to Adaptive vsync and the issue improved to the point that it was negligible (it only really ever shows up in cut cinematic in AC4 and no other games that I can tell so far - it barely bothers me). Screen tearing is a result of have a more powerful card than the monitor can handle anyways.

Would I recommend this 660 TI card (irrespective of the manufacturer brand e.g., Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, etc)? Probably not to most people, but not because the card has any issues, but because the 660 TI is out of production and cost more than the 760, which is better in many ways. Go with an 760 or better if you can. I made this purchase because my motherboard has UEFI issues that make it incompatible with anything higher than a GTX 660 TI or an ATI 7850. Get either a GTX760 or ATI 280/7950 or above if you want better performance for a better price/value/performance. If your motherboard has UEFI issues, this is the best card you can get right now and once it's sold out, you'll have to buy another mobo for better performance.

Would I recommend the Asus brand over others? Well this card seems to have a very slight advantage over other cards with the MSI TwinFrozen being the only real other contender when it comes to the cooling, though most people would argue that the performance improvement is negligible. I'd say go for this over any other brand but only after reading some reliable benchmarks.

Tips though for buying from Asus
1. Register your warranty before the time window to do so expires, otherwise you are not covered. But also do so after you confirm the card works since once you do so, you can't return it to the retailer I think (not sure).
2. Read the Rebate forms carefully. I've been approved for the rebate and I'm waiting on the offer, make sure you attach the serial number and the UPC code.
3. I choose Amazon because of their good customer service when it comes to returns/exchanges/help in case you have any issues. Nvidia was supposed to send me activation codes for AC3 and splinter cell but they didn't do so within the time window they should have in. Amazon offered to give me those 2 games for free, and although Nvidia eventually sent them after Amazon got involved, it's a comfort to have Amazon on your side.
on August 12, 2013
Honestly it's a bit underwhelming at times, I bought it because it was cheaper than the 670 and heard they were *about* the same after some overclocking and in a way it is relatively the same. If I could go back in time and buy a 670 instead however, I would.
The lower price isn't enough to justify buying this if you want to max out games and expect good framerates all the time.

For what it is, it's good, better than my old 560ti which couldn't run bf3 at 60 fps let alone 45 compared to this which is usually 60-70 depending on what's happening with rare dips into the 40 - 50's. I had minor success with overclocking it to a very high amount for around 20 minutes before the card refused to continue the game which was strange since the temperature was only 53.

All in all it does what I want it to and that's good enough for me until i can save up enough for a 680.

Please by all means e-mail me about any questions on this card and I will do my best to answer your questions
on August 22, 2013
This card arrived about a week ago and so far I must say I am impressed. I did my due diligence with regards to research prior to making my purchase and the Asus 660ti immediately caught my eye based on the terrific reviews found on several hardware sites as well as their respective forum communities.

In terms of performance, this has maxed out all video quality settings for every game (WoW/BF3/GTA4) I play at the resolution which I play at (1080p) and easily maintained silky smooth frame rates while doing so. I run a 3770k @ 4.2ghz so I have little worries of cpu bottle necking for the time being.

The cooler that Asus employs on this GPU is known to be one of the quietest around and yet still extremely effective coolers available. One small point of criticism I have is that the default fan profile is very conservative with regards to active cooling. I game with a headset so the added noise that the fans produce in my computer is not an issue and I prefer having the system run cooler at the expense of a little noise. The highest temp I have seen so far (using GPU-Z) is 68c and it typically hovers in the 55c - 60c range which under load.

The Good:
-Excellent performance for the price; slightly slower than GTX 670/760 while significantly less expensive
-Awesome cooling solution allows for more aggressive clock rates out of the box
-Simple installation, card was up and running with drivers installed in under 15 minutes
-Solid, stable drivers thanks to Nvidia. My previous card was an AMD Radeon 6570 and while it performed
well for the price the drivers always left a sour taste in my mouth due to crashes
and inconsistent performance

The Bad:
-Not much, only real complaint would be the default fan profiles being very underwhelming. Luckily, with
the included software you are able to customize your own more aggressive fan profile.
-Several members of forums I frequent have had less than favorable dealings with Asus lately when warranty
was required. That didn't completely turn me off to buying from Asus obviously, but it is something I take
into consideration and will continue watching with regards to future purchases.
on December 2, 2012
I just upgraded my motherboard to an asus motherboard, and am at the point in my life where compatibility and time are worth more then a slight discount, so i sprung on the Asus brand vs another brand to rule out compatibility issues and to force support from one company had there been a problem. My last card that had issues was a BFG, and we all know how they are doing now... Too many times have i been stuck in the crossfire between two different companies both blaming the other for some compatibility issues. It works as advertised, has good overclocking potential, and looks pretty darn cool.
on October 2, 2012
I bought this card for $240 new from a seller here on Amazon and I have to say that it is fantastic! Been playing Borderlands 2 at 2560x1440 with everything maxed, no issues. Definite improvement over my gtx 260 which may sound obvious, but I tried the radeon 7870 as a replacement and it was honestly not noticeably better than my old 260. Back to the 660 ti, I couldn't be happier with it and I've yet to find a game that gives it any difficulty at all!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations