Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 23, 2007
This is an excellent book to help the Bible student learn how to interpret the Scriptures after crossing the river of time, culture, language, situation, convenant, etc. It is practical and easy to read.

I used this book in college and have taught from it in the church. Duvall and Hays have given Bible students the Koine (common/every-man) version of a Biblical Interpretation textbook. I believe young and old alike will find this textbook to be most helpful in understanding the Bible as Holy Spirit inspired literature within the first-century historical-cultural context.

What did the original author mean? What study aids should I use in learning about the social, historical, political, economic, and religious aspects of the original author's day? What about the role of the Holy Spirit in Biblical Interpretation? This book will answer these questions and more. And there are even pictures to help!

This book can help you learn practical steps to unlocking ancient truths in the Scripture in the midst of our modern contemporary 21st century Western culture. There is a workbook that you may purchase also. It may be very helpful to the serious learner.

Don't rely on a pastor or Sunday School teacher for truth any longer. Learn to study the Bible for yourself!

I also suggest reading: "How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth" by Fee & Stuart and "How to Read the Bible as Literature" by Leland Ryken after you have gone through "Grasping God's Word."

Teachers: I use Dr. Bob Utley's "You Can Understand the Bible Seminar: Historical-Grammatical Method of Interpretation" (Bible Lessons International) lecture notes and notebook as the main teaching guide. I use "Grasping God's Word" as the text for the class.
on March 6, 2007
I purchased this as a textbook for a seminary course I am taking. That being said, if I had known what a wonderful tool this would be in learning how to dig deeper into God's word, I would have bought it for personal enrichment alone. The authors do an admirable job of breaking down the elements of Hermeneutics in a way that can be understood and applied by anyone. Each chapter has multiple examples of how to apply the principle being taught and the practice exercises at the end of each chapter are enlightening and instructive. This tool works just like any other, the more often you pick it up, the deeper you can dig. If your goal is to wring out all the spiritual nourishment you can from the Bible, This is the proper tool for the job. As a side benefit, it also sharpens your critical reading skills as applied to other source material. By the way, this is now a permanent part of my library. I couldn't resell it if I wanted to due to the extensive highlighting on every page!
on March 17, 2006
This is a outstanding book for those wanting to mine the Bible for truth and understanding.

The book helps the reader avoid misinterpretation and not "dividing the Word of God" with care and deliberation. It bridges the gap between devotional Bible study guides and graduate level books on Biblical Hermeneutics.

The book explores the the science of observation, determining the literary and cultural context of a passage to find its true meaning and appropriate application.

Grasping God's Word explores the "Interpretive Journey" of Bible study for both the Old and New Testaments.

I highly recommend this text.
on September 25, 2005
A great guide to leaning and applying the tools of Biblical Exegesis and interpretation.

The authors have written a book that speaks to the "everyday" person but is also for the serious student of Hermeneutics.

I'm using it in a class right now and it is an ecellent teacher and guide.
on March 2, 2006
I am in the middle of my second semester of teaching Hermeneutics and I am using this as my primary text. I have found that it really grabs my student's attention. The first group rated the text very high. Each chapter begins with a short story, illustration, or vignette that draws the reader into the new concept. Also, the book covers the basics of Biblical Interpretation without extending into overly technical sentence diagramming. One need not be an English major in order to benefit from this text. Excellent balance on theory and practical application.
on January 28, 2006
This book with the work book is outstanding.

I have only been able to cover the first 3 chapters but have received a new understanding in the word of God.

It is not easy and one must work hard to understand but in the end it will be will worth the time and effort.

I have sent as must a 4 hours working out the assignments but each time I am blessed with new insights from God's word.

LRK
on May 6, 2015
Great introduction to hermeneutics. We used this as a seminary text, but it is written at a level that any bible student can understand. I bought a second copy of the text and workbook to give to my 16-year old daughter to use as part of her homeschooling curriculum. In seminary, we paired this text with "How to Read the Bible for All it's Worth" which provided multiple approaches to understanding God's word. Both books have their positive points, but this was my favorite by far.
on February 27, 2013
I read this book as a part of a Biblical Hermeneutics 2 course. This text and "How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth" (Fee and Stuart) served as our primary reading materials. Having never received instruction in Biblical interpretation, I found these texts to provide a very solid foundation, and complemented one another quite well. In "Grasping God's Word" Duvall and Hays, frequently reference "How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth." The approach scripture interpretation in a very similar manner, and fill the some of the holes a book of this nature will inevitably have. Additionally, the first three sections (see below), were one of the texts for Hermeneutics 1, helping to establish a foundation for journeying through the old and new testaments.

The book is very well organized and clear. From the very beginning, we learn Duvall and Hays' about the primary method: The Interpretive Journey. Throughout the book, Duvall and Hays clearly relate new concepts and genres to the this journey. They constantly stress the importance of knowing the author's meaning (human and divine) and not making our own.

It's broken into five parts: How to Read the Book - Basic Tools; Contexts - Then and Now; Meaning and Application; The Interpretive Journey - New Testament; and The Interpretive Journey - Old Testament.
on May 4, 2016
This book was a required text book (among 8 others) for a college class. I downloaded it digitally so I wouldn't have to pay as much to buy it. I just started chapter 5 and I ordered the book TO KEEP not just to rent. It's an absolute necessity for ANYONE who reads the Bible. I give it a 10.
on February 25, 2006
This is an excellent book that will show you how to get more out of the Bible than the average Christian ever will. In today's culture, it is very important to know how to study the Bible correctly because there are so many "Christians" who get things from the Bible that are not really there. This book will show you how to bring meaning out of the text rather than using the Bible to fit a pre-conceived idea.