4.0 out of 5 stars trimmer head review
Published on September 22, 2011 by Michael Grogan

1.0 out of 5 stars it works . . . but
This device was easy to install on my Ryobi Gas trimmer and it works as advertised, except, when you turn the timmer vertically to cut an edge, the Load N cut trimmer line inserts vaporize.
Published on September 5, 2009 by S. Garza

4.0 out of 5 stars trimmer head review, September 22, 2011
This review is from: Grass Gator 8010 Load n' Cut Replacement String Trimmer Head (Lawn & Patio)
The Grass Gator head worked just great out of the box but eventually the original line wore out. I replaced the line with some .95 line I already had. Then the frustration started. The line broke or flew out of the head when I tried to cut any tall grass. The life of the line could be measured in seconds. I immediately blamed the new string trimmer head and was going to throw it away.I took a chance and bought some new Echo brand .130 Nylon line and "bingo", with the first use of the new line and head combination, I trimed a mile of pasture fence line using two tanks of fuel and the new line is still usable. I never thought the old line could be at fault but that was definately my problem. The Grass Gator head works just great with the new,fresh,nylon .130 line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grrrrrrrrrrreate Grass Trimmer/Edger Head, May 13, 2008
I put this on a gas powered weed eater (R)that I considered obsolete.
This retrofit turned it into a professional edger.
The change was very easy.

My original weed eater(R) trimmer head only had a single line.
The Grass Gator 8010 lets you load up to 4 lines.
It howles when I rev it up !!!!

Previously I suffered a lot of frustration (with the original trimmer head) when the line would snap and I had to take the original spool appart to re-thread the line through the feed hole.

The Grass Gator (R) 8010 made my day.
The packaging says it can handle trimmer lines from 0.095 to 0.130 inches,
however I tried a commercial grade 0.155 inch "rib-shaped" trimmer line and on one yard trimming the lines only wore out about 0.5 inch !!!

I used 0.155 Commercial Grade trimmer line made by Arnold LLC.
If you want to try out the same trimmer line I used - here is the link
Arnold #WLM-1155 75' .155 Trimmer Line

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Item, Poor Instructions, July 21, 2008
First the good:

1) Once installed,(tightly!!) the trimmer head worked great
2) The line segments are incredibly easy to install

the bad:

1) They shipped me out of date assembly instructions, that referred to parts no longer in the kit - frustrating
2) First call to customer service for help was abrupt and didn't help
3) Second call to customer service was friendly and revealed parts/instructions disconnect.

I installed on a big box hardware store purchased Homelite Mighty Lite trimmer. After I installed the kit and started it up, all the parts flew off in my driveway. I treat this as my fault, as although I snugged up the parts well, I was afraid to overtighten due the my perception that a cone shaped adapter I needed to use was "flimsy". I then REALLY tightened them, and had no more trouble with the parts.

When I started using it, my grass was thick near the borders of flower beds, along the house and around trees (hadn't trimmed in about 4 weeks - I know - I know....).

I quickly determined you cannot leave four "strings" in the head with a low power gas "homeowner" style trimmer (mine is a straight shaft). The four lines bog the engine down noticably, and prevented a good trim. After I removed two of the lines, it was fantastic. I trimmed about 200 linear feet of grass edge and it wore the initial two lines down only about one inch. I am sure that a professional quality trimmer would have the muscle to use four lines effectively.

Overall, I confess to being very pleased with the trimmer head. My last head (standard manufacturer) jammed about every 20 feet, tangled lines and was a pain to use. I will NEVER go back to a tap and advance head again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great - Instructions, Worthless, June 28, 2012
C. Meyers "Chunk" (Ice Cream Capital of the World) - See all my reviews
The packaging claims that you can install this without the use of any tools. I'd agree with that statement IF the directions were at least somewhat helpful. The directions are so general as to be a complete disaster. I would recommend that when you open the package, take the instructions out, open them up and them set them on fire. It's all they are good for. HOWEVER, I did a Google search and found a support page of Gator's that had a video showing how to install the head on a trimmer. Although the video wasn't for my make or model it did give me enough information to show me where I went wrong on my innitial installation attempt. A+ for the video!

Using the new Gator is sweet! I like that I can very the RPM of my 4 cycle trimmer by using different numbers and lengths of line. If I want the RPM to be a little higher, like for cutting heavy Bromegrass, I install 2 lines. If I'm trimming around flowers et al, then I can add 4 lines and slow the trimmer down for better control. I can also play around with the line lengths too but I find adding or subtracting lines works the easiest.

Changing the lines is a breeze. You just push the spent line through the head and slide a new one in in it's place. The grippers work so that you can slide the line in, but it won't allow the line to pull back out.

I have found that sometimes the line breaks "inside" the head at the grippers which makes getting a new piece of line installed most difficult. So I make sure that there is always a little bit sticking through the grippers so that I can grab the bitter end with a pair of pliers. Sometimes I get lucky and can push the old line though with the new piece.

I don't buy the pre-cut line, I just use the roll that I have. I've made a mark on the work bench @ 5" and I cut 20 or so at a time and stick them in a jar. I just grab a handful and stick them in my pocket before heading out to trim. The "curve" in the line from coming off of the roll doesn't make any difference what so ever in the performance. When the head is spinning, the lines straighten out anyway.

I'd have given this product 5 stars but the directions slowed me down considerably. The video was the saving grace!

BTW: My trimmer is an older model Troy Bilt 4 cycle trimmer. It's the one that uses the different attachments that you can purchase for it. The original trimmer attachment, bump and go style head, gave up the ghost a while back. I purchased the AreoFlex attachment for it which is completely useless. I purchased this one to breath new life into the original head attachment. (Lucky for me I didn't send it to the land fill!) I'm glad that I didn't!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great trimmer head!, May 18, 2011
The "grass gator 8010 load n cut replacement string trimmer head" is awesome! I purchased this because my factory bump head would use crazy amounts of string and I was getting tired of rewinding the string so often. This new trimmer head was fairly easy to install. I have a troy bilt TB70SS which has a straight shaft but the proper instruction to install the head was under curved shaft. Still it only took a matter of minutes to install. Once I actually used the trimmer with the new head I was impressed. I did all of my trimming around my house on two 7 inch pieces of string. It usually takes me about 10 feet of string wound in the bump head. This also comes with thick .130 line which is pretty tough stuff. I recommend buying a roll of string and cutting it yourself rather than buying the precut lines, it will save alot of money. When it comes time to replace the string it only takes a matter of seconds. You simply pull the old piece out and slide a new piece in and it locks automatically. You can put a total of 4 pieces of string in the head at once time, but for my trimmer four pieces was too much and two was perfect. If you are tired of your bump head using tons and tons of line this product is for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars it works . . . but, September 5, 2009
S. Garza (houston, tx United States) - See all my reviews
It took me almost one whole package to use my trimmer vertically and finish my corner yard. it works very well when used horizontally, however . . . I can't edge like that.

I've got a few more inserts and then when they' goner I'm gonna buy another brand, probably the Pivotrim.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement for the stock Troy-Bilt bump head!, September 15, 2008
R. Lowers (Jackson, Miss.) - See all my reviews
My original TB425CS Troy-Bilt trimmer's head only had dual .095 lines. Once the old head stopped feeding line out reliably it was time for a better unit. The Grass Gator looked promising.
I now use the Grass Gator 8010 with 2 larger diameter lines installed and it revs and cuts fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars virginian, September 11, 2011
bigromo (leesburg va) - See all my reviews
This trimmer is a good solid one but your weed whacker should have enough torque to use all 4, and it should probably not be used with 4 strings on homeowner quality ones like black and decker, more like mid/upper end ones like echo, homelite, landscaper quality ones. The reason is the square cable that turns and spins splintered to shreds with this AND ANY OTHER HEAVY REPLACEMENT HEAD I TRIED. SO it is not this one,it's using heavier line and cutting agressively. The homeowner ones shafts are just too light duty unless you baby them or use just to trim grass edge, not weeds or thick overgrown places. So I bought echo models and they have held up mechanically. I've used several different of these style heads and like the ones that 155 diameter line as it last a long time. There is one problem with this head though-that will cause me to not buy it again. IF I was using it myself, it would not be a problem as I would not push the plastic head up against large diameter woody plants. I would just let the string do it's work. But since this is not round, it has the equivelant of thousands of hammer hits on the plant and that makes the head break and separate. I hire laborers and despite my telling them not to, they do it in minutes on each and are either too stupid or want to break the equipment so they can stand around. Either way it's a problem-so I am going to buy the round ones only. The 155 diameter line makes a huge diff. Some of the smaller ones can get the line in, but some of the line is square and others have 6 sides, so i found my round heads someimtes won't take the square line, which is of course the one that i bought high quality oregon brand spool of it. So .155 diameter is not always .155 diameter as a square of .155 is larger than a round or six side.

Good equipment-if you do it yourself this will cut great. Another bonus is if you only use 2, if 2 stop holding the line, you have the other two brand new, just switch. I'm buying round ones though.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 years of frustration, August 29, 2010
J. Gangloff (Upstate New york) - See all my reviews
I have had mine for about 2 years and decided to finally throw it away today and put the original head back on the trimmer. Don't know why I waited so long. Over time what happens is the push buttons do not easilly push in and retract even with WD40 and the clips on the end of the springs cut into the string making it impossible to remove the broken off string. The only way then to remove the string inside is to take it apart which involves removing screws, lining up springs and clips and putting back together. I am going to try the Pivot trim product which looks to me to be a better design becasuse the strings are external to the head and should be easy to replace.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm finally not pissed off after trimming the yard, September 23, 2012
I was hesitant to purchase the Grass Gator 8010 after reading some of the reviews but now I wish I had bought it years ago. Today is the first day I wasn't pissed off the entire time while trimming the yard and I probably finished the job in about 1/4 of the time as when I used to use the bump heads or should I call it the "bump and then remove to let more string out head" :). I bought a reel of .130 diameter string and cut my own lengths. I also zip-tied a small plastic soda bottle to the trimmer shaft, filled with cut lengths so I'll always have them with me. Installation was a breeze. If I remember, after every use I'll spray WD40 on the cams that hold the string in place ....maybe that will keep them working smoothly for years to come and continue to keep me happy when trimming.

Grass Gator 8010 Load n' Cut Replacement String Trimmer Head