5.0 out of 5 stars Great show, solid video
This release was greatly welcomed by this household of Deadheads. We'd been hearing that the Grateful Dead's video archive would be opened much as the audio archive has been opened up, and we'd heard that this video series was going to be akin to a Dick's Picks of videos. And, man, oh, man, it is about time. But this video shows that it has been worth the wait. From...
Published on September 7, 2000 by Andrew Mercer

3.0 out of 5 stars Keep The Effects In The VAULT!
Firstly, I'm very excited that the Dead are starting to release some of their live shows on video. I've been waiting for this for a long time and am totally psyched. From the first instant that the DVD starts you just know it's going to be great. The video quality is absolutely crystal clear and perfect - especially noticeable at the beginning of the first set under...
Published on August 20, 2000 by P. J. Voisine

3.0 out of 5 stars Hoping for more!, March 24, 2001
This review is from: Grateful Dead - View From the Vault (DVD)
The preformance is excellent but will be most appreciated by true Deadheads as the majority of songs may be less familliar to casual fans. The band is tight and in good form. The picture quality on the DVD is simpley spectacular. There are, however, several problems with this recording. As mentioned by other reviewers the "special effects" in the second set are extremely annoying and amatuerish creating a terrible distraction from the reason we're watching - the bands preformance. While the sound track is generally crisp and clear, as one would expect from a DVD, it oftens seems disconected from the picture. The vocals are always spot-on and Jerry's guitar work is well captured but often you'll see activity by other members of the band, especially the drum set(s), that do not seem to be included in the sound track. Despite these critisisms, fans of the Grateful Dead will enjoy this 3 1/2 hour DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, and Funny..the real deal, April 10, 2001
This review is from: Grateful Dead - View From the Vault (DVD)
For those unfortunate enough to have never seen a Dead show..This is about as close as you'll get. The guys trying to remember to stand on those supermarket "open pads" to turn on their mics, Bob fooling around with his rackmount gear, Brent trying to get a sound level corrected..Thats what it was like every night!! The best part for me however was the bonus Louisville section. I was at that show, and the Standing into Hes gone blew me away then, and blew me away again when I got to see it on the dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep Them Coming, July 27, 2000
This review is from: Grateful Dead - View From the Vault (DVD)
Since the introduction of the projection screens hanging above the stage for the folks in the back of the venue, many (most?) of the shows were filmed. And lucky for us, they are being released on DVD.
Crystal clear images, great camera work, many close-ups of faces and hands, and, of course, excellent sound quality. And, at over 3 hours of music, a genuine bargain (the DVD contains over an hour of footage that isn't on the VHS release). Even if I'm not actually sitting and watching, I can listen to the music. I figure that for about the same price as a triple-disc CD set, I'm getting not only the music, but also a great vantage point to actually see the music play the band!
The advantage that "View From the Vault" has over "Ticket to New Year's" is the absence of extras. I prefer to just see the show, and can do without the comedy skits and trivia games. Seeing Jerry in the kitchen was fun a couple of times, but when I'm in another part of the house listening, and the music ends and the comedy starts, I'm bumming. "View" is nothing but music, which I think is a real improvement.
One feature that is common to both "New Year's" and the "View" (though to a much lesser extent on the "View") is the added visual effects. Frankly, I'd like to see these eliminated from future releases. First, I didn't think they were very well done. Second, if I'm going to be seeing visuals, I want them to be my own! I'm there to see the band, not some graphic artist's conception of what the visuals should be.
Ranting about minor flaws aside, I'm really enjoying this DVD, and I'm thrilled at the prospect of being able to collect many more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Grateful Dead - View from the vault, March 12, 2001
This review is from: Grateful Dead - View From the Vault (DVD)
The DVD is good but the sound mix is below par. The mix from the show is anything but great. You did see band members asking for levels to be brought up but it just didnt happen . The Dead must have hundreds of concerts on tape... lets hope the audio is better on the new releases. Thanks

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Dead But Not 'Grate' Dead, January 21, 2001
Michelle Hensley (Heart Of The Midwest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grateful Dead - View From the Vault (DVD)
I am thrilled about the releases from the Dead vault, both audio and video. I totally agree with another reviewer, drop the special effects!! The disc starts great. The color is crisp and clear, Jerry is bouncy during the first set, all is good. With darkness in the second set, the special effects kick in. Granted, the dead were never much to look at, but they were more exciting to watch than the horrid special effects. Some tunes really rock here, especially Estimated. Wow. The additional footage from Kentucky is somewhat of a downer, including the awful 'Standing On The Moon' that Jerry groans through. The disc would have been better without it. Best to start with the excellent 'Downhill From Here' dvd and move on to this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get A Grip!!!, December 20, 2002
Thomas Cook (Canyon Lake, California) - See all my reviews
When I read the following remark in the editorial review of this video I HAD TO SPEAK UP!!!... "After all, the staunchest Deadhead likely would admit that even on their best nights the boys weren't visually all that exciting a bunch to watch."...What a ludicrous statement, these guys are ALWAYS great to watch! Anyway, the viddie is great and I'm sure that most staunch deadheads agree with me. kewl

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, May 8, 2005
This review is from: Grateful Dead - View From the Vault (DVD)
I was at this Dead show on a miserably hot and humid evening in the summer of 1990. Perhaps the record heat affected the Dead's performance. It was the most lackluster Dead concert I ever attended (out of six). This video was made from the feed to the screen above the stage and the sound board mix. Thus, the boring special effects and the flat sound quality on this release. Get the Grateful Dead Movie (see my review on it) instead of this, and let's hope for some better quality releases of some of the Dead's prime shows from the late '80s to '95. There were some great ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Complain, January 3, 2001
PaulZ (Salt Lake City, UT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grateful Dead - View From the Vault (DVD)
After seeing the band over 100 times spanning the late 70's to the end, seeing this DVD made me realize just how much I miss this band. Yeah, it's easy to find something to complain about as it always seems critical people did at the shows. The boy's were far from perfect and I think this is what made them so elementally pleasing. This is a beatiful video of a pretty fine show. I do agree however with everyone else that the undesireable cheesy effects should be left out. But, maybe this really was the feed to the screens so to eliminate it would chop the video up. My advice is to buy this DVD and enjoy the closest, crystal clear view of the band as they play some wonderful tunes and just close your eyes, like so many of us did during the shows anyway,when those effects start up. Hey at least they don't show them in the first set!

5.0 out of 5 stars Take a step back in time!, December 2, 2000
This review is from: Grateful Dead - View From the Vault (DVD)
Watching this DVD was a little like a time warp for me. Excellent footage, a fine set list, and seeing Brent again all combined for a great experience. I really wished i'd had the souped-up speakers on my computer for this one. "tom thumb" is wonderful, but be careful, "knockin on heaven's door" will bring a tear to your eye. "Greatest story" and "jack-a-roe" are hoppin; happy feet, watch out! You get the "whole show" experience here; plus a lot more footage than the vhs version. visually well done. I sure hope they can come up with some earlier shows on video, like pre-'87 - and some west coast shows would be great too. But for anyone who misses the musical camaraderie on stage from the Dead, this is one to get. Glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, August 11, 2000
This review is from: Grateful Dead - View From the Vault (DVD)
Finally a complete show and then some. No lame special effects. View From the Vault documents the aural and visual wonders of one hot night (musically and meteorologically speaking) at Pittsburgh's Three Rivers Stadium during the Summer tour of 1990 (with a few tunes from Louisville's Cardinal Stadium show, from the same tour, thrown in). This video was produced using the master tapes from the original soundboard audio mix. What you hear and see is what the audience experienced. This show is definitely the best of all of them.

Grateful Dead - View From the Vault
Grateful Dead - View From the Vault by Len dell'Amico (DVD - 2000)
$40.98