Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

100%

on December 15, 2012
What a magnificent opportunity for any manager at any level within a corporate structure to recognize missed chances at acknowledging the accomplishments of both staff and supervisors. I am retired now, but after reading this book, I could not wait to write a letter acknowleding the grateful leadership demonstrated by my boss and how his mentoring had positively influenced my own managerial skill set. To this day, I get notes from my employees who have used the term mentor and leader but this book puts real meaning to the term "grateful leader".
on December 30, 2012
Judy Umlas has written a powerful and thought-provoking book. I recommend it highly.

There are few greater needs today than excellent leadership. Books and more books have been written on the topic and little changes. Most of us have worked for or have known people who worked for toxic leaders. (Thank you Prof. Jean Lipman-Bluman.) It is a huge problem. Grateful Leadership can be a game changer. It must be a part of changing the game.

Ms. Umlas makes extensive use of the words of Grateful Leaders from around the world throughout the book very successfully. Chapter 12, in fact, is dedicated to the testimonials of 11 Grateful Leaders. We are not talking about first line supervisors here. Rather, we have Chief Executive Officers, and Chief Marketing Officers, and the like. Their messages are honest, heartfelt expressions of the importance of Grateful Leadership in their lives. Chapter 12 adds much to this book.

Judy defines Grateful Leaders as follows: "On an ongoing basis, Grateful Leaders see, recognize, and express appreciation and gratitude for their employees' and other stakeholders' contributions and their passionate engagement."

"By creating a culture of acknowledgement and appreciation in their organizations, in which people truly feel valued, these leaders motivate their followers to strive for continuous improvement and always greater results. This in turn promotes a positive environmnet and the overall well-being of both the leaders and their followers."

"Always greater results" is the key. Without them, why bother? With them, however, you cannot afford to not try to become a Grateful Leader.

Read this book and get after it. Imagine.
on January 3, 2013
I received this book as a gift from Ms. Umlas herself after attending one of her webinars for a college course I took. All I can say is WOW! After reading only a few chapters, I applied my new found knowledge and skills at work the next day. The results were amazing! I am trying to do this on a regular basis at work since my supervisor has a difficult time herself acknowledging the skills, abilities and accomplishments of the members of our team. It is SIMPLE and very EFFECTIVE! Buy it, read it and try it for yourself....you will not be disappointed whatsover! Very, very well written and explained. Excellent book and great accompanyment to "The Power of Acknowledgement".
on December 13, 2012
My daughter gave me this book, and it was a great gift. As a parent and as a teacher, I realized how many people and students I needed to acknowledge not just thank. The real key that changed my outlook was realizing that saying thanks doesn't let people know their value...acknowledgement does. So, I have been working on following the steps in this book, and already I can see the smiles and good energy in the people around me. It is truly amazing and so simple.
on February 7, 2013
Judy's book takes a bold step in juxtaposing the importance of appreciation with corporate value, increased engagement, personal satisfaction and bottom line results. This book really resonated with me as it is reflective of the leadership style I strive to continuously portray within my own organization. Leaders who truly embrace Judy's very tangible differentiation between saying `thank-you' versus showing appreciation and gratitude, will empower themselves and the organizations they lead to create enhanced value and purpose while improving their overall productivity and reputation. With the bottom-line driving most corporate agendas, this book serves as a roadmap for leaders to cultivate more engaged, value-driven workforces.

Joanna Durand, Managing Director - Citigroup Chair- Citi Program Management Council,
Head - Citi Global Program Management Office
on April 10, 2013
This is a great read for all the leaders and soon-to-be be leaders out there. Whether you are just starting your journey or you've been on a path for some time, Judy's book reminds you of the importance of publicly and sincerely acknowledging those who are helping you along the way. More people stay in their positions because they feel valued and this book refreshes your toolbox on how so many successful leaders are retaining their employees well past the average timelines. I'd highly recommend this book and I'll value my copy for years to come!
on July 26, 2013
Judith Umlas has brought us the proof in this second book. The proof that acknowledgment is a powerful tool to motivate others. Sometimes we seek out hard quantitative analysis and managerial science to tell us the obvious. Anyone working in a project environment or everyday business will tell you that the number one challenge is how to motivate others. Well Grateful Leadership gives us the simple ANSWER.
on May 3, 2013
Judith Umlas is creating a culture of change for leaders and employees in the workplace. Her book Grateful Leadership is a true paradigm shift for employee engagement and empowering individuals to thrive. She is poignant and spot on with her actionable tips that show us how to have the courage to learn and the passion to grow. This book is a must-read!
on January 15, 2013
Judy Umlas has once again reminded us what is important in our relationships with others. In this, her latest book, Judy reinforces that "gratitude is the attitude" in developing a "grateful way of being". When we acquire this, miracles occur that leads to transformation and abundance.
on December 5, 2013
Very motivational. I purchased 65 of them for my work team managers after I had read my first purchase of the book.