5.0 out of 5 stars Great film
I have always loved documentary style horror in the vein of the Blair Witch Project when it's done right, and this is one of those that is done right. Great effects, tons of scares, great story, amazing atmosphere and good acting. I love movies like this and hope there is a part 3.
Published 16 months ago by Deimos

3.0 out of 5 stars A promising premise with a disappointing ending.
Published on October 3, 2012 by Amanda

3.0 out of 5 stars A promising premise with a disappointing ending., October 3, 2012
Amanda (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 (Amazon Instant Video)
I've been a horror movie buff my entire life, or at least since the time my parents let me watch horror movies. Or rather, since I learned that I could quietly sneak to the top of the steps and see the TV undetected while my older brother and his friends watched horror films. Of all the found footage horror movies I have seen, the first Grave Encounters stands as one of the most impressively creepy films in its sub genre and possibly the genre as a whole. So I was pretty interested and excited to see what the second film could dish out. I went in not knowing anything about the film and in some ways was pleasantly surprised.

For a film that leaves relatively no room for an original and fresh sequel, the premise of this movie was actually pretty brilliant and well-written. The first two thirds of the film seemed to be riddled with scenes and footage that probably should have been left for the DVD extras. However the Vicious Brothers did a good job of taking the viewer on a ride as the plot reveals itself. I was hooked in by the characters quest to unmask the truth behind the original movie. And once they manage to make it to Collingwood to perform their own night-vision camera investigation, the movie has its fair share of jump-out-of-your-seat moments.

I think the films mistake came at the exact point where a new character is introduced the storyline. No spoilers here, I won't tell you who. But it's at that point that everything that made the first film so terrifying goes out the window and a whole new element is introduced with over-the-top effects and twists and turns that left me just staring at the screen wondering what was happening. Some scenes that should have had my heart pounding were so ridiculous I almost wanted to laugh. And I was left wishing they hadn't gone so far out of the box in trying to impress with a second movie in this series. I can appreciate their attempt at doing something different and new but for me, it fell flat. The last 20 minutes of the film were a total joke.

All in all, I would have preferred it if they had just left the story with the original film. I won't be watching this one again but I'm sure I'll return to the first one many more times. If you have some free time, are burning with curiosity or are a die hard fan of the first Grave Encounters then I suppose its worth a watch. But you might want to save your $7 and wait for this one to show up at Redbox.

1.0 out of 5 stars A huge disappointment that came right after watching the original, October 6, 2012
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 (Amazon Instant Video)
After watching Grave Encounters on netflix, I was amazed on how scary the film was. Right after watching the film I read that Grave Encounters 2 had just released on Amazon Video and like a newly found fan I had to see it, only in the end of this film I came out sorely disappointed. The establishment of the characters leading to the hospital was severely long, the hospital scenes were cut off short when the original film had the long tension of the haunting, and the abysmal 3rd act with the "twist" of bringing back people was downright insulting to the realness feel of the original. While the original used the less is more scare feel, this film just exploited gore which the first film was not even about. While the first film was completely psychological horror, this one was just trying to be a mainstream horror fest that in the end should not have been in the first place. The only plus of this film was seeing a Peter Chao cameo and even that cameo threw off my immersion of watching the film. For now just stick with watching Grave Encounters 1 and pretend that this film was never made.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, October 24, 2012
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 (Amazon Instant Video)
I totally eoyed the first film and thought it was pretty scary with a lot of good jumps.

So, when I heard they were making a second one I was so geeked out for it and couldn't wait for it to be released.

This film was such a huge disappointment. The characters were okay and real but the whole story about how they got back into the asylum and the ending was just straight up stupid.

This film was not scary and some of parts that was supposed to be scary was just straight up funny.

Honestly, if this was a advertized as a comedy I would have given this movie 4 stars because it would have done its job.

3.0 out of 5 stars LET'S SPLIT UP INTO TWO GROUPS, March 27, 2013
The first thirty minutes of the film introduces the characters as wannabe horror film make Alex Wright (Richard Harmon) goes from movie critic skeptic to believing the first film, "Grave Encounters" is real. He locates the REAL asylum where the movie was filmed and goes there with his own crew to film people with unhinged mouths, tables moving, a girl being dragged across the floor...all the stuff we have seen before in found footage films. I am beginning to believe these things simply appear on cameras if you leave them out too long.

You get tired of seeing Alex's face in the camera running his mouth. The beginning of the movie includes pixelated nudity and immature college pranks. There is a sweet "1408" twist in the middle of the film which makes it almost worth the view, at least that was the part I enjoyed as I didn't see it coming. The filming was done better, if that means anything. I suggest you jump to chapter 6 and start watching to prevent from getting bored. Seasoned horror film watchers might want to take a pass on this one. If you scare easy, go for it.

Parental Guide: F-bomb, brief obscure video sex, no real nudity.

2.0 out of 5 stars An insult to the first film, June 10, 2014
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 (Amazon Instant Video)
I loved Grave Encounters. It had great acting, tense scenes, weird events, and did a wonderful job of answering the question, "What if those lousy ghost hunting TV shows actually found ghosts?" I had great hopes for the sequel. Not any more.

The second film is exactly like the first, only with a bunch of worthless characters that you won't care about. Seriously; the premise is that they will go to the dangerous haunted asylum where a bunch of people disappeared in order to prove that they all really did die. The second group will go in with exactly the same equipment that didn't save the first group, in the exact same way, at the same sort of time, and do everything they can to make the ghosts kill them. To make it worse, only the main character actually believes any of the ghost stories, so he's actually tricking his innocent, trusting friends into risking their lives for his curiosity. Then it all just gets horrible. Don't watch this movie; just watch the first one a second time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sequels are usually bad... This one doesn't disappoint., November 3, 2012
I am a horror fan. I write horror and film horror movies. I am also a fan of "found footage/reality" horror films.

When I watched Grave Encounters on Netflix I was really surprised about the acting and effects - great stuff!

So when the second was coming out - I had to see it. Bigger budget, better effects.. Win-win right? Wrong! I'm not going to give you the synopsis but I will tell you it takes 50 minutes to get anything scary going and I'm sorry the lead character who plays "the next horror director" is terrible on so many levels. His persona on film is ridiculously bad.

We are treated with a nice twist with 20 minutes left in the film which leads to some gruesome deaths - which was shocking and really well done but all in all it's not enough to save this movie.

Save your money and time. Watch the first one and forget this one ever came out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Silly fun, February 20, 2013
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 (DVD)
GRAVE ENCOUNTERS II is very much a retread of material from the first film, as a bunch of college students attempt to determine if the mental-hospital ghostly shenanigans captured on film the first time, gulp, actually happened. Rather than a quality found-footage flick, this movie feels more like someone is filming their friends as they walk through an amusement park maze. The film has imagination, but it's not well-acted, yet who cares? It's a diverting scare for a Friday night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, October 1, 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Inferior sequel, January 14, 2015
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 (Amazon Instant Video)
watched the first Grave Encounters well over a year ago, and had the chance to watch it again yesterday. It was just as good as I remembered. Four minutes into watching GE2, and I remember that I watched this one too... But I had turned it off after a few minutes in disgust. This time around, I paid for it, so I had to keep watching. Frat parties, drugs, and sex---three things missing from Grave Encounters that no one missed. "It's a fantastic start to a sequel," I said sarcastically to my laptop screen. It takes eight minutes before anything relevant or interesting happens, as an internet critic of the Grave Encounters movie gets a video reply to his review (yes this is a "meta" movie, insinuating that the first movie was real). It's Lance Preston, the main character from the first film, in a hospital gown and unaware of what's going on, the message sent by someone named "Death Awaits," which happens to be the graffiti written on the door to the Collingwood Psychiatric Hospital seen in the first movie. The first act of the movie is just an introduction to characters you quickly learn to hate, with very little happening plot-wise. Things finally start getting on track around the twenty minute mark, but it was tough to last that long listening to the annoying pothead. Every time he opened his mouth I cringed. We get it, you like marijuana and are an annoying idiot. Shut up, shut up, shut up! (Character highlight: later in the movie, he farts so it can be caught on a thermal camera. Huh huh huh, so funny!) Forget the professional attitude of the first film's characters. Here we get loud, immature college students.
I found myself getting interested in the movie around the 40-minute point, when the group of idiots start investigating the asylum. Finally, we get scares and plot development. Does the second half of the movie make up for its awful first half? No, it doesn't, but I give it some credit for trying. The second half isn't that bad, but it doesn't light a candle to the Grave Encounters (1).

2.0 out of 5 stars A Found Footage Sequel With A Slow Start AND An Ill Conceived Finale, March 28, 2013
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 (DVD)
If you loved The Vicious Brothers and their film "Grave Encounters," they're hoping you'll flock to buy the next chapter of their horror saga creatively titled "Grave Encounters 2." Utilizing the increasingly popular "found footage" genre that combines elements of the thriller into a faux documentary presentation, "Grave Encounters" was a reasonably effective (if not spectacularly original) entry into the horror arena. It does seem that every low budget scary movie of late thinks that this is the go-to genre of filmmaking, so it's becoming more difficult to distinguish inventive works from the overcrowded pack. This sequel employs the same device to carry out the story. And it is just so tired already! But as long as the movie has something fresh to offer, found footage can still make for a thrilling visceral experience. I may not have hated "Grave Encounters 2" as much as some--but after a reasonably promising set-up, the film seemed to implode on itself with a lunatic (and ill conceived) final act.

The movie takes place roughly two years after the events of the first movie. A film student (Richard Harmon) is obsessed with the footage of the first film and decides to see if the events depicted were real or not. As any remarkably sane person would do, he assembles some friends to break into the psychiatric hospital represented two years prior. Even if everything is real (which he believes), his knowledge of the place and its monsters should provide plenty of clues for survival. There isn't much more to tell without revealing spoilers. I'll just say that the introduction (which takes a VERY LONG time) is handled well enough, but a major twist in the hospital kind of derails the franchise. Very little makes sense after this revelation and the film just gets loopier by the second, and not in a particularly good way.

I liked that there is a distinct connection to the first film. Here, The Vicious Brothers made a smart decision. This movie presupposes that you've seen the original. Although you can certainly watch this as a stand alone, the finale will lose some of its impact. But maybe that's a good thing as I really thought that this was the weakest point in the series so far. If you remember the stylistic differences between "Blair Witch" and its abysmal sequel, some of the same mistakes were made here. It's almost too meta, too referential to the original and so it loses a unique voice of its own. And with the choices made in the conclusion, it defies the logic of the first picture and this is always something that irritates me. KGHarris, 3/13.

Grave Encounters 2