5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLE YET TERRIFYING

3.0 out of 5 stars Town of clowns
Published on February 27, 2011 by Sam Quixote

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLE YET TERRIFYING, February 24, 2007
This review is from: Grave Robber's Daughter (Paperback)
I wasn't really sure what to expect from Richard Sala's slight, 96-page graphic novel "The Grave Robber's Daughter" so my expectations were somewhat low. Sala surprised the hell out of me with a truly terrifying, and no-frills story. The art is straight black & white and somewhat reminiscent of old underground art in its style and delivery. Hardly conventional to say the least!

Judy breaks down on a deserted road and wanders on-foot into the haunted little town of Obidiah's Glen. The town appears completely deserted and Judy's chances of getting help seem to be trickling away. She finally manages to find some people at the town's carnival but they are all teenagers and don't seem to have an interest in helping the stranger out.

Once again venturing through town she finally finds a little girl named Nellie who tells her about the clowns...The clowns arrived in town in the middle of the night, holding a parade through the downtown. In the morning, all of the adults had gone missing. Judy soon learns the terrible secret of the Clowns and their circus but does she have a chance to escape in time.

I was genuinely chilled by Sala's story. It was so simple in its delivery yet hauntingly effective. What can you say...clowns are just plain scary. It definitely has some Killer Klowns from Outer Space influence but with a more supernatural slant to it. This one really took me by surprise and I look forward to seeing more by Richard Sala.

Reviewed by Tim Janson

5.0 out of 5 stars Sala Does it Again, March 27, 2007
Edna Wilson (Oakland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave Robber's Daughter (Paperback)
Richard Sala haunts us once more with a unrelenting story of betrayal and helplessness. His gorgeous watercolors grace the front cover while his quirky black and white graphics send us inexorably towards a blind alley. Is there hope on the horizon? Read and see...

3.0 out of 5 stars Town of clowns, February 27, 2011
This review is from: Grave Robber's Daughter (Paperback)
Judy Drood's car breaks down in the middle of nowhere forcing her to walk to the nearest town. When she gets there she finds it deserted and in the midst of the town is a carnival. She finds some strange looking teens loitering there along with a group of nasty looking clowns. But where is everyone? Why aren't the phones working? And how is the grave robber's daughter tied into this? Judy Drood investigates...

It's an interesting story that Richard Sala has created here that smacks somewhat of horror b-movies and old Scooby-Doo cartoons. The story rolls along nicely and is well illustrated by Sala who has a distinct style that makes his art look deceptively easy to emulate. I liked the character of Judy Drood who kicks ass and gets out of sticky situations almost as easily as she gets into them.

It's like a Twilight Zone episode with a 21st century heroine with gothic overtones making this a pretty decent original indie comic book. The book was good fun to read but didn't contain enough depth to make me think this is Sala's best work. It was however good enough to make me want to seek out his other books so it's definitely got plenty going for it. And those clowns are damn scary.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slight, but effecting, September 7, 2009
Eric Hanson (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave Robber's Daughter (Paperback)
I am a huge Richard Sala fan and I have enjoyed everything I have ever read by him. Though The Grave Robber's Daughter is a short book at 96 pages it still has Sala's unique charm. Fans of gothic horror/humor and classic horror films will definitely enjoy this book. Sala's art looks great, as always, but the story doesn't seem as well thought out as some of his other work (The Chuckling Whatsit, Mad Night, Delphine, Cat Burglar Black). It seems like he could have done a bit more with this story, especially with the enigmatic title character. We never learn very much about the actual grave robber's daughter, so the ending seems a bit out of left field. Also, the girl detective of the story, Judy Drood, has pretty much the whole mystery explained to her by one of the characters about two thirds of the way through the book, so the suspense element suffers sorely in this story compared to some of Sala's better work. But, as I say, the book is beautifully illustrated and still makes for a very fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy Circuses and Clowns For Everyone, January 6, 2009
Martin P. Eckert "PaulE" (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave Robber's Daughter (Paperback)
This is the first book by Richard Sala that I have read, and I was thoroughly impressed. At first, the plot seems like nothing new - girl's car breaks down right next to a creepy, seemingly empty town. However, then you learn the town is popluated solely by clowns and teenagers. Sala avoids cliche and surprises with a multitude of twists to the classic formula.

The drawings are in black and white and have an unrefined look, which is a plus for this type of story and adds to the terror. The clowns are scary as hell and make my coulrophobia kick into overdrive. The heroine of the story is lots of fun because she is not the typical whiny, scared-of-everything girl that horror stories produce in legion. Instead she is fearless and willing punch a freaky, man-eating clown in the face.

For such a short story, Sala infuses a lot of heart and thought.

I can't wait to read another Richard Sala story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grave robbing goodness!, March 17, 2008
Ray Bannick (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave Robber's Daughter (Paperback)
Great graphic novella! For fans of Tim Burton, Edward Gorey, noir, pulp and just anything imaginative or off the beaten path, this is a must read. The art and writing fuse beautifully to create an eerily amusing and unsettling world. I look forward to whatever Sala has next in store. Warning: as suggested by the cover, if you are afraid of clowns this book will likely instill a greater, lingering dread;-) Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the art style, the stories iffy but still worth a look, February 10, 2014
This review is from: Grave Robber's Daughter (Paperback)
Honestly Richard sala could make more intriguing plots, i feel like too many of his characters are repeats of others sometimes and maybe he could try for something more twistful.
All in all this was still a pretty cool book

4.0 out of 5 stars Sala always delivers, November 16, 2009
M. Salisbury (Colorado Springs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave Robber's Daughter (Paperback)
If you enjoyed his previous work, you'll enjoy "The Grave Robber's Daughter." Quirky, funny and dark--Sala is his own genre. Read it because you've always been afraid of clowns, little girls and what it means to be stranded.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shaan, October 30, 2007
This review is from: Grave Robber's Daughter (Paperback)
I was under the assumption that Graphic Novels will help me increase my intake of literature. I, probably like yourself, feel I don't read enough in a world full of entertaining stimuli. Actually, I read plenty, just not enough novels.

The Grave Robber's Daughter was my second attempt at reading a Graphic Novel. While the first read managed to at least keep my interest with its art and story, the Grave Robber's Daughter is horrible. Personally, I believe the entire storyline and graphics were all created in some teen's algebra class when HE (stressing a male student)should have been completing a test. It honestly is exaggerated gore and a wack trail of events. It frankly just doesn't come together well or interest me.

Well, the graphic novel is not the right path to take to increase your reading habits. The author got a little change from my purchase, at least.

Grave Robber's Daughter
Grave Robber's Daughter by Richard Sala (Paperback - February 14, 2007)
Used & New from: $2.60