5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!
When I first saw this book I knew that I had to read it because Melissa Marr wrote and it and I believe that she is awesome. Now that I have read it I think she is a genius. This story was so beautiful and horror filled that I am left wanting so much more.
Published on March 23, 2011 by Book lover

3.0 out of 5 stars The Graveminder and The Undertaker
Published on April 14, 2011 by Tamela Mccann

3.0 out of 5 stars The Graveminder and The Undertaker, April 14, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been struggling over this review for a bit now--normally I love Melissa Marr's writing and The Graveminder sounded wonderful when I read the synopsis. And the idea of the world of The Graveminder is very intriguing: a small town has a tunnel, unknown to almost all, to the land of the dead, and the Graveminder and her counterpart, the Undertaker, must make sure that the dead don't cross back into the land of the living because the dead in our world see the living as lunchables. It's just that the execution of this story is, well...not so hot.

The biggest problem for me is that I never once warmed up to any of the characters. The story opens on Maylene, the town's Graveminder, being murdered by an escapee from the dead; her granddaughter (though not by blood--this point is hammered home again and again and again) Rebekkah is summoned home to the funeral, which must take place within a day because there's a law against embalming in Claysville. Rebekkah has spent the past 9 or 10 years running away from Claysville and her sometime lover, Byron; Byron, newly returned home to Claysville to work with his father in the funeral home business, was once in love with Rebekkah's step-sister Ella (who killed herself years before). Rebekkah loves Byron and Byron loves Rebekkah but Rebekkah believes they can't be together, so they aren't, until she returns home and it is revealed that, upon Maylene's death, Rebekkah has been named the new Graveminder (a position neither she nor Byron knew anything about). Byron, by default, is the new Undertaker, the man charged with protecting the Graveminder and escorting her back and forth from the land of the dead and also from the mysterious Mr. D (Mr. Death? Mr. Devil? Mr. Davis?), who seems to be in charge of the dead. Also, there is evidence that a waking dead person is snacking on townspeople; we do get some chapters from the surprisingly engaging Daisha, teen Hungry Dead person.

Maybe it was my lack of attention but I feel like very little in the story was fleshed out. I got the idea of a land of the dead, and that's a fascinating idea. But even though it was explained Why Claysville?, I just felt as though it was thrown together, not thought through. I got that Rebekkah is drawn to the land of the dead, and Mr. D does seem charming throughout, but honestly, why was she in love with the land of the dead? There is a whole sub-plot involving former Graveminder Alicia (whom I really liked, btw) and her problems with Mr. D, and maybe I missed it, but...what exactly happened between those two? And Byron and Rebekkah both left me cold; there was so much waffling on both parts ("I love you, but I can't be with you"..."I dont' want to be with you but here, help me take off my clothes so I can lie celibately next to you because I really do want you--hey, why are you mad?") that I did not care if they ended up together or not. Actually, I did care; they deserved one another so that no one else would get caught up in their inabilities to make a commitment.

It may seem I'm being overly rough on this story, and perhaps I am, but I've come to expect a much higher degree of world-creation and relationship building from Ms. Marr, and this one has left me flat. I'm giving it three stars, rounded up from 2.5, because there were moments when Daisha and the land of the dead were interesting and rife with possibilities. I just expect more from someone from whom I've experienced tension, magic, and beauty in spades before.

3.0 out of 5 stars Marr's take on the American Gothic, March 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a long standing fan of Melissa Marr's. I think she is an extremely talented writer who portrays character emotions flawlessly. While I can't say that I enjoyed "Graveminder" as much as her "Wicked Lovely" series, I will say that Marr has done a great job of bridging the gap between young adult and adult literature. The lore within "Graveminder" is fresh, intriguing, and intricate enough to warrant additional books within this world. However, the ending is resolute to the point that "Graveminder" could also serve as a stand alone novel. Furthermore, the story is paced just well enough to keep your interest. With that said, I did have a few qualms.

Graveminder tells the story of the Barrow women and Montgomery men, who were tied together centuries ago when the town of Clayton made a deadly pact. It has been the responsibility of the Barrow women to act as graveminders (literally minding the graves of the dead) ever since, with the Montgomery men (undertakers) to act as guide and protectors on their quest to the world of the dead. When Bek Barrow's gradmama, and current graveminder, is found dead, it is up to Bek to carry on the mantle.

The main characters Bek and Byron were nice enough, but they were just a bit too vanilla for my taste. Too cardboard. And Bek was commitment phobic to the point of obnoxious. Frankly, I would have dropped her off a bridge and had a hard time swallowing that any honest to goodness human being would truly put up with such a person for so long, and yet Marr created a hero that has and does. It was just too altruistic to be believable.

Additionally, and I'm not sure if I should feel this way, but the most interesting character of this story was by far Charles, aka, Mr. D and yet he gets very little page time. I can only hope that if Marr does in fact write a 2nd book within this series, that she will write it from his point of view. Afterall, not only is he the most interesting character, but frankly, the world of the dead that Marr has created in "Graveminder" is much more complex and alluring than the town of Clayton.

Overall I enjoyed the story and will look forward to more tales within this series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Graveminder: It almost worked, but the main characters fell flat., September 11, 2011
This review is from: Graveminder (Paperback)
"Sleep well, and stay where I put you."

After the violent death of her grandmother Maylene, Rebekkah Barrow returns to the small town of Claysville for the funeral. Rebekkah - "Beks" to her friends - knew that her grandmother had little rites that she performed for the dead, pouring whiskey on fresh graves and that sort of thing, but she soon learns that these rituals served a darker purpose: if the dead are not cared for, they will return from the grave. Now that Maylene is gone, the task of the Graveminder has fallen to Rebekkah. Assisting her in the new role is the Undertaker, Byron, a friend and lover from Rebekkah's past. During this transitional period, as Byron and Rebekkah learn their new roles, an evil has been unleashed, and they'll have to work quickly to seal it up once more.

"Graveminder" is one of those books that I wanted to love because the concept was so interesting, but didn't. First, the good. Melissa Marr does an excellent job building the dark, creepy atmosphere. It's almost as if every scene has a shadow cast over it, muting any potential levity and creating an aura of menace. The town of Claysville, on the surface, seems so wholesome and innocent: it's a safe place where people live healthy, uneventful lives. But the price of this safety is the creation of Graveminder and Undertaker, and the evil forces they must keep tamped down at all times. It's a perfectly promising premise for a horror novel.

But then we have the characters. Rebekkah has got to be one of the most singularly annoying women on the planet. She and Byron have had an on-again, off-again relationship for years, and the tête-à-tête between the two of them is unbearable. Every time he starts to get close she pushes him away with "OMG I can't do relationships right now" and runs away. Byron, not the brightest bulb, constantly comes back to her instead of finding a non-crazy woman to settle down with. There was also a LOT of rehash in this book, as characters catch each other up on previous events and have the same conversations over and over again. It seems like every few chapters we're getting a variation of the following conversation:

Byron: We need to talk about us/the past/our feelings.
Rebekkah: No, I can't do that. YOU KNOW I CAN'T DISCUSS THIS. What's for dinner?
Byron: I'm so sick of this!
Rebekkah: Gawd, this again. I'm leaving.
**ten seconds later**
Rebekkah: Oh Byron, I'm so scared to spend the night alone. Since we're completely platonic childhood friends, will you spend the night?

If the main characters weren't so angsty, I'm not sure this endless cycle of repetition would have stood out so much. But as things are, it really slowed the book down and made it difficult for me to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, March 23, 2011
Book lover (Friendswood, TX United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Imagine living in a town where everything stays quiet. There are no diseases to be a afraid of and town life is just simple. The town of Claysville is just this place. The people that are born here stay here not only because they want to but because in their souls they know they have to. A long time ago a contract was put together to ensure the safety of the town and it's people but with this protective bubble came certain complications. For instance, if a couple want to have a baby they must put in an order sorta speak. See the town has to maintain at a certain level, it can not get to big or to little so that life can stay quiet. Another bump in this contract is that when somebody from the town dies the Graveminder must "mind" their graves for three months to make sure that the recently deceased stay put. If they don't then run because the dead are hungry. Most of the towns people are unaware of this contract with the exception being the council and the Priest and even they are limited in their knowledge. When the current Graveminder unexpectedly dies her Granddaughter, Rebekkah , must step in. The only problem is that Rebekkah has no clue what her Grandmother has been doing for all these years. She knows that her Grandmother visited the dead, but as to why she chalks it up to Maylene just being eccentric. So, when Rebekkah returns home to bury her Grandmother her life literally gets turned upside down and she now must face her new future and for a woman who never likes to stay in one place too long this may just be the thing to kill her. This is only the basis for the story, Marr throws in zombies, a leading male hero, Charlie or Mr. D if you will, and a town with many many secrets.
I can not say how much I loved this book. I have never read a book about zombies and you can bet that I will venture into this new world more often. Marr creates such a vivid and frightening world that I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. The book can be gruesome but come on they are zombies gore is expected. I was completely shocked by the ending as well. Fans of Marr will love this new turn that she has taken from fae to zombies and I for one hope that she writes more about Claysville.

1.0 out of 5 stars I tried, I truely did to like this book., August 31, 2011
Amazon Customer "LUV2Read" (Las Vegas, Nv United States) - See all my reviews
Nicolle's review
Aug 31, 11 · edit

Read in September, 2011

I tried, I truely did to like this book. Loved the cover, loved the description of the book. I have a daughter who loved The Wicked Lovely Series and thought I would give it a try.
I did not like ANY of the characters, I also become so irritated by the way the author beat to death the supposed love story. The entire book all 324 pages is nothing more than a repeat of every theme, concept and situation you have read about in the previous chapters. There is nothing spooky,creepy or unsettling about this book.(per reviews on back of book) I don't mean to be harsh in my review but this was listed as an "adult book" and I would without a doubt say that this book at best is a "young adult/teen" book. I did not really feel like I gained anything by reading this book and I would not recommend it to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars I mind... repetition, flat characters, contradictions, random info, awkwardness., September 23, 2011
This review is from: Graveminder (Paperback)
Graveminder has all the makings of a great American Gothic novel: Mysterious rural town with secrets, cemeteries, walking dead, archaic curses, contracts with the underworld and even a love story to boot. The concept is extremely original. Rarely do I come across ideas I've never seen before like this. Melissa Marr is definitely NOT suffering from is a poor imagination.

What she IS suffering from is poor writing technique. It was extremely hard to get through this 315 page novel- where typically I would fly through a novel this length in several hours, it took me two weeks to struggle through it. Like walking through mud in flip-flops, I groaned through each chapter. What was wrong, you ask?

Read ahead but be careful- there are some SPOILERS possibly contained within.

REPETITION.

If the editor (or, hello, writer) of this novel had axed the continually repeated, recycled and regurgitated information this novel would be half the size. I felt like the writer was trying to reach a page length goal instead of focusing on a whole, balanced novel that was interesting the whole way through. Yes, we know that Bek has commitment issues (you'll read about it EVERY chapter as she pushes Byron away and then pulls him close). We know she can't believe the house is "her's" now. Yes, Byron loves Bek despite her treatment of him. Yes, Bek feels a streak of jealousy when she considers that Amity and Byron have been intimate (though oddly, despite the fact that this comes up in triplicate, it's never resolved?). Yes, Byron shot two guards for her (he mentions it THREE times in one evening- each time, several pages a part, as though it's never been mentioned before). Just a few examples.

What's kinda ironic is that this entire novel is supposed to take place in about 3 days only. WOWser.

Maybe someone can remind Melissa Marr that when she's writing for ADULTS she must assume we have a memory bank larger than a hamster.

TWO DIMENSIONAL CHARACTERS

Byron loves Bek. He's drawn to her. He can't help it. No matter how annoying she is. He's the undertaker.
Bek is frightened of commitment. She is overwhelmed with loss. She's the graveminder.
Charlie is the guy who runs the underworld. Chris is a cop.
Amity is a bartender who is OK with no strings attached relationships.
Daisha is the neglected teenager.
And on. And on. And on.
For a novel that could have had half of it cut- I'd have liked the see the other 150 pages used to actually develop interesting characters. The way they are written now they are FLAT. They serve a purpose. And that's it. No growth or change outside of MAYBE Bek. But for her it's forced change (her destiny) so not impressive.

CONTRADICTIONS

For a novel with so much of the SAME information repeated throughout- oddly- the writer contradicts herself quite a bit. Amity asks Byron if he can come over after she gets off... then the very next page tells him not to come over tonight because she's already arranged for something else. So why ask him to come over after work to begin with?

Bek will consider to herself that Maylene (her step-grandma) was the only family she had left... then later think to herself that she's very close with her mother.

Why is it that Byron has a flashback of Ella that pretty much OKs his relationship with Bek but never shares it with Bek? So Bek just struggles for all these years in guilt when Byron could have let her off the hook. Beyond that, in Byron's flashback he tells Ella, on the phone, it's HER he loves, not Bek (it was just a kiss!!!). Then a few chapters later tells Bek he loved HER, not Ella, even before they broke up. So he lied to Ella? Or to Bek?

RANDOM PAGE FILLERS

For a novel that already could be cut in half, there's plenty of random page fillers that have nothing to do with anything. Like why the entire part of the novel where Amity trains Bek for the bar position? It seems purely empty to the rest of the novel and is never referenced again. Why the shooting scene in the underworld? Random searches for information such as letters and journals... Byron loads holy water on his bike like it's meant to do something but it never comes up again. Cherub the cat seems to have no purpose in the novel- why even make a deal of Bek bringing it home in the cat carrier and all this?

JUST PLAIN AWKWARD

Bek coming back in the Victorian dress (almost forgetting she has it on, she wears it for a while and even lays in bed with it on). The idea that there could be TWO Daisha's in one tiny town is just silly. TWICE in the novel a female characters asks the men in the room to leave- the bartender scene was bad enough and then it happens AGAIN in the underworld. Um.... ok. What is this, a Western reference? Both times just plain awkward.

And on.

You know- I could go on and on. The point is there was so much wrong with this book. Two stars for an amazing, original idea and gorgeous cover art. Maybe in a future edition the writer could fix some of the major issues. If I hadn't read this as part of a book club discussion I would NOT have finished it.

I'm sorry, Ms. Marr, I'm not usually so harsh. But seriously, for a writer with SOOO MUCH IMAGINATION AND POTENTIAL why would you sell yourself short? Consider hiring a private editor if you're not getting honest feedback through your publisher.

2.0 out of 5 stars I really hate to do this, but . . ., April 11, 2011
Jennifer L. Rinehart (United States of America) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If this wasn't a book by Melissa Marr I would give it three stars instead of two, but since I've read her other work, frankly I think I'm being generous with the two stars

Yes, I know that sounds harsh.

And, yes, it is kinda mean.

But, seriously, this book is not very good when you compare it to the really great stories she's written before. What I've liked about her writing the most is that her characters are so real, so human (even the inhuman ones) that it was hard to leave off in the middle of the book for mundane stuff like eating and sleeping.

Anyways, allow me to explain the many ways this book does not 'speak to me.'

1. Hard to follow character jumps. There are several characters introduced right off, several who are no longer living and whose stories are hinted at. I can handle one mysterious character with broad hints but several really irk me.

2. The main character - Rebekkah, is a mess. She whines, freaks out and acts like a total Daphne (yes, that Daphne, from Scooby Doo). For some reason the people around her put up with her dangerously erratic behavior, in fact, somehow it endears her to them. Sadly, she's super important, so they have to prop her up and roll her out to do her job, it just doesn't make for a real compelling heroine.

3. Byron, the love interest and protagonist - I just don't buy a wandering undertaker. Sorry.

4. Frequent visits to the past. Characters who frequently wander into Remember When land are treading on dangerous soil, storywise. It often drags the story down and stalls the actions of the characters. This was a prime reason that I started to lose interest in the television show Lost - too much backstory and infodumps.

5. Repetitious. Byron asks the sheriff to investigate a suspicious death about four times, each time receiving the same, illogical 'no, natural causes.'

6. More repetition as Byron fights with Rebekkah about being a couple. Byron fights with his dad about information. Byron is just pretty feisty the whole book.

7. Strange names, they're all the rage now, but still, Amity, Maylene, Daisha, Cissy, Byron?

8. A lotta disbelief, even after the weirdest things happen.

9. Byron has to take care of Rebekah, he's even promised her dead sister Ella that he will take care of Bek, I'm not sure I like that.

I think this could just be a style of writing and characters that I don't care for. So keep that in mind when you are thinking about this book. Some books I really adore (just to give a frame of reference) are The Hunger Games, The Hobbit, Game of Thrones, Jane Eyre, Dead Until Dark, the Guernsay Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, The Furies of Calderon, Suite Francaise, Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief, The Passage, Dead Witch Walking and Moon Called.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three sips, no more no less, May 2, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I enjoyed the Twilight and Wicked Lovely series, but when both of the authors moved to the adult genre, I found myself adoring their new works all the more. The Host and Graveminder really showcased the ability of the authors to fluctuate between Teen and Adult. Actually I enjoyed Graveminder more than her Wicked Lovely series because of the content and dark plotline.

The premise of the book is that there is a town called Claysville. Every citizen born in Claysville stays there, baring accidents and murders, grows to 80 healthily, oh and sometimes the dead come back as the Hungry Dead. It's this last weird trait of the town that causes the need for a Graveminder and an Undertaker. It's also what drives the story forward and is the cause of a great many problems. I won't rehash to plotline, but I will tell you that it is indeed convoluted, twisted and I absolutely love it. This is an adult novel, so you can't expect some of the more straightforward Young Adult/Teen plotlines. In Marr's new novel there are worlds within worlds, the Graveminder is half of the dead, half alive, the intricate ways Charles/Mr. D's own world works, then the shocker at the end that his is a new world and there were many others. I loved that I had to think through the book. I loved how the characters reacted. I really hope that Marr chooses to continue this story line, because frankly I really want to see more of the dead and Rebekkah's own struggle between her desire for life and death.

I recommend this read to anyone who enjoys darker fiction novels. Marr has moved to a new genre, and has done a fantastic job of standing out from others as well as her previous series. Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable. Not Spectacular., April 16, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have never read any previous releases from this author, but I could tell she was coming off a younger audience from the get go.

While this novel is adult orientated the romance between characters in the book felt more teen than anything else.
Aside from that and a little bit of cursing that felt off kilter or just didn't seem like the character was the type to drop those kinds of words, I enjoyed this book.
In no way am I against cursing or anything like that at all, I am simply stating that the characters in this book didn't feel like they were the type to be saying some of the things they said. In turn this left me with a little bit of a disconnection from the main character.

Sometimes I find it hard to review a book and say some of what I would really like to because doing so will give away something that should be revealed in reading so I will shy away from a few things here.

Suffice to say that I did enjoy this book in the end, and aside from a slight immaturity to the romance and characters I couldn't fully connect with, I did finish it easily and never had any of those moments when thinking of picking it back up that tell me to find some other book. I think most readers know what I mean when I say that. Sometimes you have a lot of books going and when you go to grab one from your shelf you find you avoid some more than others. This book didn't have me doing that and I finished it pretty quickly.

If she is an author you already like, then you probably won't be disappointed.
If you've never read her before and the genre is your thing, then this will be a good in between novel. (For when you've read all your favorite authors books.)

3.0 out of 5 stars OKay, but didn't blow my skirt up, September 8, 2011
This review is from: Graveminder (Paperback)
Graveminder is Melissa Marr's foray into adult literature after the conclusion of her successful young adult series Wicked Lovely. Marr has great ideas, and I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into juicy, complex story lines.

The story opens with a creepy scene that's so riveting I couldn't read it fast enough. Maylene Barrow, Claysville's graveminder, meets a very disturbing seventeen-year-old girl in town and invites her home. Maylene is later found dead. Her granddaughter Rebekkah returns to Claysville for the funeral with plans to leave as soon as possible, but she finds out she's the next graveminder. Claysville is suddenly like Hotel California: she can check out any time she likes, but she can never leave.

I wanted to like this story because conceptually it sounded interesting, but Rebekkah is an annoying character. She's manipulative and immature, and her long history of using Byron makes her unsympathetic. She contradicts herself (with internal dialogue) entirely too much, to the point of reader distraction. Byron appears weak, pining for a woman that continually does him wrong.

Although Marr does a good job of revving up suspense, I kept getting jerked out of the story by deep point of view italics, poor editing and unbelievable behavior. Since I wasn't lost in the story, I began analyzing everything and therefore became much less forgiving of things I'd otherwise overlook.

Marr overuses the technique of showing her characters thoughts with italics. It's essential for readers to get this character insight, but Rebekkah questions and contradicts herself so much she appears mental.

I go all fussy britches with weird names or strange spelling variations. It's fine if they fit the story setting, but doing this just to be creative annoys me. (When Harry Potter first came out, I wouldn't read it because I didn't know how to pronounce Hermione. Stupid, I know but I can't help it). I've never seen the name Rebekkah spelled this way, and it's often shortened to Beks in the story. Don't love it, but I'll go with it. Byron is shortened to B, Alicia becomes Lish (shoot me), and Charles is Mr. D. I mustn't forget Daisha and Amity Blue.

Marr's narrative can sometimes be messy, and the overuse of fragmented sentences was irritating. Character's behave like adolescents and the story reads very much like a young adult novel. I was disappointed in the simplicity of it. The ending felt rushed with information awkwardly crammed into the last few chapters. The best part of the story is the initial scene, and Marr's concept of the underworld.

For the concept of the underworld, and maintaining suspense, I'll be generous with my rating: Okay, but didn't blow up my skirt

Don't let me discourage you from reading this book. Many people liked it, and it's been optioned for a television series. If it comes to fruition, I'll definitely check out the television series because the underworld is intriguing, and much more interesting than what goes on above ground. I'm sure the television series will be popular with fans of AMCs The Walking Dead.

Graveminder
Graveminder by Melissa Marr (Paperback - May 17, 2011)
Used & New from: $0.01