4.0 out of 5 stars Not a laughing matter
I re-read the last 2 books before I allowed myself to read the 3rd. I wish I hadn't. It made the disparity between them painful. Just about everything I loved from the first 2 books was missing in this one.

Published on January 1, 2009 by Oliva

She ascended to the heavens and kicked Zeus's butt, too, along with the rest of the Greek Gods. Then when she was done with them, she descended into hell and beat the Devil down too, and all his minions, stabbing them in the hearts with silver daggers. Sounds farfetched and ridiculous, right? So did a lot of the fight scenes in this book.

Spoilers on the way,...
Published on May 8, 2010 by ReaderFanatic

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a laughing matter, January 1, 2009
Oliva (Phoenix, AZ) - See all my reviews

The Good - There is a lot of plot and a lot of action. Many parts reminded me of the earlier Anita Blake. All the fighting and gore and sinister plots. Excellent. This is why I gave it 4 stars instead of 3.5

The Depressing - I read the first 2 books with a huge poo-eating-grin on my face, laughing out loud constantly. Both times! It actually made my husband jealous. Not this time. This time I rarely laughed, occasionally grinned and in the middle of the book I actually cried. By the end I was stoic.

What I miss - The sex scenes. The chemistry. The bantering. The heart.

I expected, and anticipated, Cat's confrontation with her mother after what she discovered at the end of book 2. Don't. After I got over that disappointment I was hopeful for her mother later in the book only to have it crushed again at the end. Oh well.

Tate left me wanting. Something. So much potential plot yet just out of reach. He can be a great ally or a ruthless advisory. Time will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome - My Favorite So Far, December 30, 2008
I thought this book was a great addition to the series. It started off a little rough for me because the whole dress and act like a hooker bit was getting old, in my opinion, but Bones was tired of it as well so it seems to be resolved and full steam ahead from that point. Lots of fast paced, unpredictable action followed that kept the story moving and the reader guessing. Some parts could have used a bit more description and scenes ended and changed too abruptly at times but nothing that detracted too much from the story.

Bones was great as always and Cat lost some of her rough edges and was actually more likable this go around. What really made this story stand out and get my five stars, though, was the emotion. I had tears running down my face for at least two chapters it was so moving. Any book that can get me to cry real tears for fake characters means the author has done their job and brought me fully into the story.

Great addition to the series and I can't wait for the next installment!

3.0 out of 5 stars And after Cat defeated all of the vampires in the universe..., May 8, 2010
ReaderFanatic (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews

Spoilers on the way, read on at your own risk:

One of my biggest problems with vampire hunter books is this: What is the gauge of their power? Why are vampires who are way older and should be stronger than Cat so easy to kill? All of her fights are lackluster because she ultimately walks away without a scratch and what little injury she does get, is immediately healed. There's really no risk. The only Vampire Hunter that makes sense is Buffy, because at least her power is explained and it's what her body was designed for and there is always a risk. She even died twice. She wasn't just some vampire half breed who decided she was going to kill her kind for a living.

When Cat took on Bones line and defeated every vampire who challenged her without even breaking a sweat, considering she wasn't supposed to be in top form, I simply had to roll my eyes and damn near threw the book across the room. She's too powerful and where's the fun in that?

Moving on.... Bones is another one who's too powerful, and this was BEFORE he shared power with his grandsire. It comes off a little bit annoying that he's so powerful because it's like no one can defeat him and there's really no risk that he can die. The entire time he was assumed dead, I didn't have any inkling of doubt or worry because there was just no reason to. The way that premise was written, it just didn't give you a sense of dread. The whole time I knew he was alive and I only had to keep reading to find out when he would emerge again.

The Big bad.... Turned out to be not so big, or bad. What an anti-climatic ending. I wanted more from Patra, who was a scorned woman with a bone to pick. There really wasn't a big war, which you'd think might happen considering how so many Master vampires had to align themselves with Bones and Mencheres midway through the book. A few dead zombies, vengeful phantoms and nameless characters later, Patra gets a silver knife in her back. No big deal.

What I don't like is how every so-called enemy in the book is automatically looked down upon for their actions as if they are the worst people in the world, but whatever the "heroes" do in the book, even if it's the same thing is "Okay". Bones would kill every one in the world to get revenge on who ever hurt Cat, they don't even have to kill her, just hurt her and he goes mad with rage. But it's written to be "understandable". but Patra doing the same thing is just "unacceptable". What's good for the goose, should be good for the gander. Yes, it is mentioned in the book that that's true, but then it's quickly dismissed because the bad things are happening to them instead of someone else. It's not a major plot flaw, it's just a pet peeve of mine, I don't liked excused hypocrisy.

Even my favorite characters seemed boring in this book. Bones was kind of boring, Ian was very boring, except for the interaction he had with Cat's mom, who by the way seemed to be out of character in this book. Sure, she was her usual whiny annoying self, but she seemed all to comfortable around the vamps and ghouls than you'd expect. Seemed drastic that she'd sleep with one. Spade was almost non-existent as well. No body really stood out with bursting personality, which was disappointing. Tate is tiresome, nuff said. Juan is still just "there" and Cooper, Denise, Randy and Don could have slept in on this book.

I also thought the writing was a bit jumpy and there were far too many "fade to black" scenes.

Overall, the plot still held my interest enough for me to want to finish the book, which is why it gets three stars. I still enjoy some of the characters, so I'm moving on to book four. Still, A Drop of Crimson is the best book out of this series to me. Jeanine Frost is a decent writer and I will probably continue to read her books as I am looking forward to reading Mencheres book this summer and I hope Ian's book is next in line. This is just my constructive honest review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, January 3, 2009
I found the first two books exciting, amusing, romantic fun and eagerly awaited At Grave's End for months. Unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed and only finished the book because I kept hoping it would get better and that the tension and humor of the first two would return.

The previously strong romantic/sexual tension between Cat and Bones is gone, and several perfunctory sex scenes couldn't make up for the lack of connection and the development of their relationship. Cat and Bones are also oddly uncompelling protagonists. Bones will go to any length to protect Cat. Yes. We got that in the last book, so showing and stressing this again and again does nothing but diminish the emotional impact. As for Cat, she makes the occasional snarky remark, wears slutty clothes, and kills lots of things. And... that's it. The only characters who engaged and held my interest were secondary ones - Cat's relatives and a new vampire who gets introduced in the middle of the book.

The plot felt both disconnected and overly simplistic. There were no subplots, not really, merely a string of the same sort of thing. One scene early on is powerful, because it's there that one feels actual fear for the characters and their health. Later on, Frost goes back to killing off extras in order to show how dark and deadly everything is. And yes, the bodycount is higher than before, but it's not very meaningful when we don't really *know* the characters who are killed.

The summarizing in the first part of the book is jarring, particularly because the transition from action - narrative clean up - action occurs within a few sentences. And as for the end, between the battle set up and speech that had me cringing for the characters and the vaguely anticlimactic finish, I felt almost relieved when I reached the end.

I really enjoyed the first two and will happily reread and recommend them, but I won't be buying the fourth book or reading this one again. It's not a dreadful book by any means, but... it's not the series, at least not as I'd care to remember it.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent urban fantasy, January 2, 2009
Married at least in terms of vampire laws, half-breed Cat Crawfield and pure bloodsucker Bones are euphoric. They were manipulated cleverly by her family keeping them apart for years. Now they live together and Bones has joined the government agency run by her uncle hunting rogue vampires.

Already the most successful team due to Cat's unique prowess, the addition of Bones makes the unit seemingly invincible. However, the vampire world recently learned that Cat is the notorious Red Reaper making her a Scarlet letter type target to her enemy and that Bones is a traitor. While struggling to stay alive from hunter-vamps especially one who loathes Bones for dumping her, they must prevent a war of magic from devastating the world.

The latest Night Huntress urban fantasy (see HALFWAY TO THE GRAVE and ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE) series is a powerful entry as the overarching theme moves forward with increasing complexity; while also containing an action-packed story line and intensifying the lead couple's romantic relationship. Now that Cat is outed, she wears a bulls-eye on her forehead as vampiric gunslingers know taking her down would make them into an over night superhero, not that Bones will sit idly allowing that to happen. Sub-genre fans will fully enjoy Cat's saga, as Jeaniene Frost's tour of the world of the "Grave" is deep yet fun to follow.

Harriet Klausner

2.0 out of 5 stars Going downhill, I fear, February 9, 2010
Well, this is definitely going downhill. It's still funny a lot of times, but other times it's just plain boring. Jeaniene Frost is no Richelle Mead (Georgina Kincaid series, I mean), and the plot has some holes the size of vulcanoes. And, oh, all those sexist little remarks all over the books? Well, I accept them in one book, they annoy me in two books, but I absolutely dislike them in three books. Or more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent urban fantasy!, January 21, 2009
Eventually it had to happen. Cat Crawfield's appearance as half-vampire, half-human is too distinctive to keep the identity of the "Red Reaper" a mystery. Meanwhile, someone very powerful wants her dead and an all-out vampire war is about to begin. Will Cat and Bones survive the melee that ensues?

Wow, Jeaniene Frost is a formidable force in the urban fantasy genre and AT GRAVE'S END solidifies she is here to stay! Both the world building and the character development are superb in this action-packed tale. Hold onto your hats, though, as this one gets a little hairy!

Cat and Bones are a remarkable couple. The love story between them has developed over the previous two books but AT GRAVE'S END takes things a bit deeper. The physical attraction isn't the focus but instead we see the emotional bond. In fact, all of the relationships develop further as Jeaniene Frost takes this world to a whole new level in AT GRAVE'S END.

AT GRAVE'S END can be read as a stand alone novel but the world is a complex one and could be a bit overwhelming to a newcomer. The relationships have also built over the course of the series and some of the nuances and subtle humor might be missed if one hasn't read the earlier books.

Jeaniene Frost isn't afraid to take chances as she does a marvelous job at keeping her world interesting. The plotlines of the Night Huntress series are not static but instead we learn more about the dangers of the vampire world in each new book. AT GRAVE'S END is an exciting installment and my only disappointment is that I now have to wait for the next one. Highly recommended!

COURTESY OF CK2S KWIPS AND KRITIQUES

5.0 out of 5 stars Great evolution for the series, January 5, 2009
Amazon Customer (Evansville, IN United States) - See all my reviews
I happened to love this entry in the Cat and Bones franchise. Yes, their relationship is different. It's evolving, and thank goodness for that. I loved the fact that Cat was forced to make some decisions and changes in her life. She's married, and to an extremely complicated man. Her relationships with those around her are evolving as well. I got very caught up in the emotion; it isn't as light as the previous books, but had some very real, heart-wrenching moments. Bones remains one of the hottest male protagonists in the genre, and Frost develops and deepens some of his relationships as well.

To sum up: If you are looking for another light romp, this might not be for you, but if you're looking for real evolution and emotion, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't dream if you wish to live, April 19, 2009
With the number of kills under her belt, Cat Crawford has earned a reputation among the undead. Widely referred to as the Red Reaper, she is both feared and revered in the vampire world and it appears that almost everyone wants a piece of the half-breed. With Bones at her side, though, Cat is ready to face any challenge that comes her way. Or is she really?

As the holiday season approaches, Cat eagerly looks forward to spending time with her loved ones. However, someone from Bones' past has a different idea of how best to spend the yuletide season and it seems that she is prepared to do anything to kill Cat. Yes, dear readers, this ancient vamp has powers beyond anything that Cat has ever imagined. No one is safe, even dreaming is not permitted unless you have a death wish.

AT GRAVE'S END is the third installment in The Night Huntress series and another fantastic book from Jeaniene Frost. I remember purchasing the first book last year uncertain of what to expect, but in spite of the slow start, I finished that book totally in love with Cat and Bones and quickly bought the second book. This third book is no different. It was a witty and enjoyable read on many levels. The trademark barbs fly between the characters. The author uses the light-hearted interaction to balance the action and gore in the story. There is abundant action to make this a fast-paced read, with a few twists that I never saw coming. And I'm not just talking about the zombies.

Some reviewers have commented on the lack of romance in this book. I guess if you are expecting to see the same unbridled lust that we did in the previous books, then you would probably be disappointed. I personally didn't feel that the romance was lacking at all. In fact, I liked how the author has taken Cat and Bones' relationship to a new level. There is a more sense of maturity and seriousness about it, and I really felt the strength of their commitment.

Jeaniene Frost does not disappoint with this solid entry. I think that her writing is getting better and better and I eagerly await the next book in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Series!, March 22, 2012
I love this series. Cat is awesomeballs and Bones...*drool!* I'm thinking that Jeaniene Frost knows exactly what it is that makes me a happy girl. I really do. You have awesome writing, steamy romance, and kick ass (literally) characters thrown into a great story! My usually dilemma with a series is that after a while the story gets stale. The books start to drag and just seem like a money grab. So far, The Night Huntress books have yet to feel that way!

This time Cat has tons of new friends thrown into this book. I am not going to giveaway any of the goodies, but my favorite new character is Vlad..yup. THAT Vlad. It's not as hokey as it sounds! It's awesome! I hope he's in the future books! That's one thing that makes me love this series. Things that would SEEM hokey aren't. The sexy parts are sexy and not trashy. The action is actiony and not over done. Cat gets hurt and gets HURT. She does get healed but she's not invincible. She's a kick ass fighter but even she has her "off" moments.

There were a few honest to goodness sad parts in this book. I don't have any problems saying that one in particular got me big time. I was like *GASP....SHOCK* and was very tempted to read the end to see if it all worked out! That was a neato twist.

Again, so no spoilers for those that haven't read this series. Just a suggestion: GET ON IT! NOW!

At Grave's End (Night Huntress Book 3)
$6.83