Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on March 20, 2012
Loved it! From page 1, I was sucked in and couldn't put it down.

I won't lie. It's pretty gruesome. To the point that at times, I found myself cringing and shying away from the horrible ordeals Hettie went through. And oh my god, the ghouls - those are nightmare inducing. Such beautiful prose along side such terrifying events weave together to paint a tapestry of pain, death, love, companionship, revenge and redemption. You know you've read a great book when you can't stop thinking about the characters, and when injustices against said characters get under your skin.

This story is up there in both quality and terror with Joe Hill and Stephen King. And if you happen to know the geographic area the story is set in, and the extensive history of unsolved murders and seemingly endless dark forests, it'll get under your skin.

I do hope the author provides us with more to sink our teeth into. If this is her first published work, I can't wait to see what else she has up her sleeves!
on June 22, 2012
"Graveyard Blues" grabs you from the opening words. I'll be honest, it scared the snot out of me and I had to put it down a couple times.

I enjoyed the point of view changes - Henry is a hilarious and tough old timer while Hettie is more vulnerable as she attempt's to understand the changes that have happened to her.

The verbiage is real, gritty and melds well with the dark themes.
on February 27, 2013
In a genre where the field is littered with hundreds upon hundreds of books about vampires and werewolves, oftentimes repititous to the point of inanity, Reina Salt has written a book about ghouls. Where now there are scores of urban fantasy books centered around Chicago, Tulsa, Atlanta, et al. and in which the city is almost a character itself, Salt has managed to write an engaging urban fantasy where the settings are almost incidental but still vivid.
This is character driven work, with excellent dialogue and likeable protagonists. I will admit that while at times things seem mildly stilted, her pacing is spot-on, the violence is neither overdone nor half-realized, the vulgarity is prolific, and Henry is, hands down, now one of my favorite characters.
For a first work, this is first-rate and I eagerly await the follow-up.
on March 13, 2016
This book grabbed me at the start. Just picture the show: "Supernatural!" And you got Graveyard Blues. It's very detail read. It's amusing, disgusting, disturbing, gory, gruesome, haunting and just plan terrifying! With that being said, it started getting really frickin "Irritating" because it kept crashing (every other chapter - CRASH) After a while I just couldn't enjoy the book anymore with all the “Stop-and-Go!” but like I said above, what I read was really good! I really hope you do an update and fixed this problem, would really love to know what the hell happened and what kind of creature "The Killer" is!? Smh.
on April 15, 2012
OMG what a wonderful first effort. Rich characterization, great story line. Humorous, poignant, gritty and sometimes gory. What more could you want? Nothing else got done once I started this book. Seriously, nothing. It's been a loonnngg time since a book has caught me like this one. Rates right up there with (perhaps surpasses) Stephen King's "Carrie" as a premier. I didn't realize it was an "only child" book until I finished it and tried to purchase more - and couldn't. Damn. Can't wait until the next one. Keep up the great work!
on March 18, 2013
I grabbed a copy of Graveyard Blues (Night Blues) based on another author's recommendation, and even though I don't write in the horror genre, or too often read books in this genre, I was riveted from the very first page. It is not often that another writer induces a bit of despair by inward comparison, but Reina Salt's rich details and great dialogue did get me wondering how she crafted such an amazing debut novel. And as a fellow author, her complex characterizations encourage me to delve deeper into the minds and hearts of my own characters.

What did I like best about Night Blues? That's hard to say actually. There were several descriptive passages that were so beautiful, so finely-crafted, that I reread them several times, and even read them aloud to a couple of friends. For example, in the beginning of this fast-moving novel, Salt describes the town Henry lives in, and in a couple of clean, crisp paragraphs, she's able to evoke the spirit of the Pacific Northwest and paint a picture that places the reader in there with Henry.

But that's not what I liked best. What I took away with me was Henry. Salt manages to paint this older man with a combination of crass humor, heroism, honor, and pathos without overdoing any of these elements. Rare is it indeed that a writer can create an opposite sex character who rings with such clarion-clear beauty. Her ability to get into Henry's mind alone would make me an enthusiastic supporter. This combined with an ability to craft a vivid portrait of time and place make Salt a talent to be reckoned with. I eagerly await more of her work.
on March 22, 2012
I knew I had to wake up early when I bought this book. I did not anticipate being up all night, on pins and needles without being able to put the book down, around 4 a.m. my battery died which was for best because I really do not want this book to end. I hope the author pens this into a series. If I could describe it best, imagine Steven King and Alice Sebold had a love child. That's the style of this book. It's the Hitchhiker meets The Lovely Bones. If you like supernatural thrillers with a little crime and mystery thrown in, you'll be hooked.
on December 23, 2012
This is a great debut. I love the way the living and the dead in the book team up. The book is gruesome. With all the zombie movies like Warm Bodies and World War Z coming out...If this were to become a movie I'll definitely go see it.
on March 4, 2013
Sadly, I don't have a kindle so I had this book sent to my phone. I read through it in 2 days. It was amazing. The characters were well developed including the dogs Pepper Mama and...the other one.
Whoever said that the vulgarity ruined the book doesn't understand that people who curse alot tend to be more trust worthy (look this up if you don't believe me!) I think it added to the characters. Alot.
The plot was phenomenal. It was very well thought out, well put together and executed with finesse and style. This is one zombie story you really HAVE to read. I sense it following in the ways of George Romero and becoming a cult classic.

I've been waiting patiently for 'Mojo hand blues'

`~ Cyanide Suicide
on February 16, 2013
As a lifelong reader of horror, I've come to expect that most horror will neither actually scare me nor stick with me after I've finished reading it. It's exhilarating to find a horror novel that engages me from its first pages and only gets better as it goes. Graveyard Blues is such a novel.

Hettie and Henry, the book's protagonists, are some of the most memorable characters I've encountered not just in horror but in fiction. They're very real, very funny characters with whom I'd be happy to travel even if the story itself weren't so engaging. But let's be clear: the story is compelling.

When its protagonists came up against obstacles at every turn, I found myself holding my breath and hoping all would turn out well for them . . . even if, as the story progressed, that seemed an increasingly unlikely outcome.

The end more than satisfied. Best of all, it's not so much an end as a resting point. I normally prefer standalone books, but THIS is a series to which I'll happily return.