Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th
Customer Discussions > The Graveyard Book forum

The Graveyard Book -- Recommendations if I loved this book?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2010 3:10:29 PM PDT
The Graveyard Book

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 3:11:58 PM PDT
Just finished The Graveyard Book, looking for recommendations for other books like this I might like. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 11:04:41 AM PDT
I live in South Carolina and have been researching The Graveyard for my 11 year old to read. Her school picked it as their fantasy book. My concerns lay in the fact that my husband - her father - died very suddenly at the age of 37 three years ago. We are of the Christian faith and although her dad is buried in a cemetery, we focus on her dad's new life in heaven. Would this book be appropriate for her? It got wonderful reviews but I don't know if my circumstance changes things. If you wouldn't mind sharing an opinion, I would really appreciate it. Mary

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 1:00:51 PM PST
Megan - That's a tough one. I really can't think of many books that have the flavor of The Graveyard Book. If you like fantasy-based coming-of-age stories, I'd recommend Boy's Life by Robert McCammon or Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. Both have a mix of the fantastic and the emotionally truthful such as you find in The Graveyard Book. If you responded more to the macabre aspects, check out 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill or Pretty Monsters by Kelly Link. They are two authors who can take very dark and weird subject matter and really craft it into something emotionally resonant while still maintaining a (modern) Gothic tone.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2011 8:06:05 PM PDT
try Clive Barker's The Thief of Always. And of course there is Coraline by Gaiman.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Graveyard Book forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Sep 6, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 28, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Graveyard Book
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (Hardcover - September 30, 2008)
4.5 out of 5 stars (1,581)