Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on April 6, 2015
This was fast paced and full of twists and turns. The characters were well developed. The plot had not come to conclusion so imagine my shock as I turned the page and the book was done. I need more resolution to the plot to be happy.
on May 5, 2011
I borrowed this book from my library and didn't want to give it back. It's a crime novel, but eventually I found I was reading not only a compelling, beautifully written mystery, but also a meditation on our various responses to the calamities, insults, and losses life hurls at us. The characters make their choices; the consequences are poignant and convincing. Cohen slipped some diamonds of wisdom into the pages of this book. If you're open to them, you may never be the same after reading it. That's why I had to buy this book for myself before I could part with the library copy.
on August 18, 2015
So, I found myself waiting for the next Elvis Cole novel and looking for something to read. I took a chance on this one and it helped pass the time. I was surprised that the cops were not all perfect or honest, just like the cops you encounter in real life. It was a complicated,tangled story with few winners. Read this one while you wait.
on April 10, 2016
It was a little slow at first, but after I got acquainted with the characters, it picked up. It has a lot of history about the area which was nice. There were some twists, plot lines that you thought were going to resolve one way but went very differently than expected.
on January 16, 2014
Although this is my first book by Cohen, he is now one of my favorites and I will be reading more.  The main character is a New York police homicide detective who we get to see become more self-reflective as he struggles with his life.  This is a complicated mystery with complicated characters, with no simple or trite results.  Pretty real relationships also.  I learned a bit about how complicated the interactions of river currents and tides are, an old island near Manhattan that was once a small town with a life and culture of its own, and also a tiny touch of Buddhism and Judaism.  I had no idea where this story was going and couldn't put it down until I found out.   This was a five star read for me and I look forward to more by this author.
on June 10, 2016
Good, but not great. Looking foward to his other novels.
VINE VOICEon April 5, 2010
This is the 2nd volume in the Jack Leightner - a Brooklyn homicide detective - series, (I haven't read the first). This police procedural centers on the unidentified body of a boy which washes up onshore in a home-made coffin in New York Harbor. The case itself and the others Leightner is tasked to solve make for an engaging read. What drags this book down are the sub-plots concerning Jack's romantic life and his shady partner, which are both predictable and tiresome. Although I may pick up another book in this series it won't be the first on my reading list.
on August 29, 2009
After reading the first book "Red Hook", I found the "Graving Dock" to be a more interesting read as well as a faster paced novel. The first book spent a lot of time giving background that I felt was unnessary and slowed the book down. The second book in the series gave enough background to be interesting and capable as a stand alone story.
on March 17, 2009
Both The Graving Dock and Red Hook were pleasures to read - realistic characters, palpable settings, and beautifully paced.
on August 18, 2009
i picked this book up after hearing about gabriel cohen on NPR, and upon learning that his out-of-print debut novel "red hook" can run you $80-150 from online sellers who do have a copy. so i started with this one, which is easier to get and less expensive (and equally highly rated). after all the hype, i was expecting a bit more but was not seriously disappointed either. "graving dock" is a good detective genre book, easily falling in line with previous writers like chandler, block, etc. it deviates from the usual formula somewhat by making the city a living, breathing entity that really casts a tangible presence to red hook, brooklyn. the writing and plot are strong, the characterizations a bit campy at times. in short, this is a good book not a great book with a few unique angles that you don't normally find in standard cookie-cutter detective novels.