5,575 Reviews
 (1,049)
 (1,019)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning Cinematography, Direction, and Acting
ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW

Just moments after this movie ended my daughter leaned over to me and declared, "This is the most perfect film I have ever seen in just about every way."

I had to agree.

Published 14 months ago by Brian Driver

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice visuals, nothing spectacular for a space movie
Published 8 months ago by Jon

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning Cinematography, Direction, and Acting, October 5, 2013
Brian Driver (Louisa County, Virginia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW

I had to agree.

GRAVITY gives you everything: thrilling action, awesome visuals, incomparable cinematic spectacle, a terrifying scenario, an exciting adventure, and a masterpiece of minimalist characterization. They all combine in one pedal-to-the-metal slam-bam technically perfect movie that gives you equal shots of hope and hopelessness from the first frame to the very last.

It is as electrifying a film as I have ever seen, with scarcely a down moment in it, hardly a misused frame. I won't spend time telling you anything about the plot; if the trailers haven't told you enough about why this film is a must see, then I can give you two words that should do it...

Sandra Bullock.

She is not only in practically every frame of the movie, but she exposes herself emotionally here in more ways than I could count: she is equal parts victim and heroine, emotional and calculating, frightened and bold, wounded and powerful. She is a tortured soul who reveals herself in dribs and drabs, revealing her emotional torment when it will have the most effect. The movie is as much about what HAS happened to her as what IS happening to her. She is able to make herself as interesting and captivating as the events that occur during the film, and this is important: rather than simply being a movie about a series of cascading terrors, it is equally about the human spirit, the "stuff" that lies inside us that drives us to go on when going on seems impossible.

GRAVITY is amazing. See it in IMAX 3D if you can; it is worth the money. The technology depicted in the movie is stunning--but I imagine I will be as amazed when I finally get the DVD and find out HOW these truly amazing scenes were shot. Alfonso Cuaron does remarkable job as director, co-writer and co-editor of this absolutely wonderful accomplishment. His technically perfect movie never loses track of the actor within it--I won't be surprised if this achieves Best Picture, Best Directing and Best Acting nominations this year, notwithstanding a half-dozen other technically-related ones.

There have been some critics who have found fault with the movie's accuracy when it comes to the positioning of the space stations, the likelihood of a debris field causing a "Kesslar Syndrome" this devastating, and some other technical flaws, but I will leave these people to their respective perturbations. To me it doesn't matter if GRAVITY is science fiction or simply fiction about science. What it definitely IS is a tour de force balls-to-the-wall spectacle that will leave you gasping. Don't miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best sci-fi movies I have ever seen, October 5, 2013
Steven Aldersley (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Many people don't take science fiction seriously, but here's a movie that might work for those who don't usually like the genre. There are no aliens, unknown worlds, monsters, or laser shootouts. This is a movie that's set in the real world, or more accurately, above it.

The story opens with a George Clooney voice-over. We meet astronauts working to repair a satellite. This shows how calm such a silent world can be. I reluctantly saw the movie in 3D, but this was one occasion that I came away feeling that it added to the experience. It almost made me dizzy seeing Ryan Stone (Bullock) and Matt Kowalski (Clooney) go about their routine business with Earth looming large in the background. Indeed, the cinematography was breathtaking throughout the 90 minutes.

I don't want to give away too many details, but if you have seen the trailer or even looked at the poster, you'll know that this movie is far from being a calm ride. An accident sends debris racing toward the astronauts like some kind of deadly shrapnel. What follows is a story about the strength of the human spirit, and the will to survive against all odds. Remember that the word gravity has more than one meaning.

While I enjoyed Sandra Bullock's performances in The Blind Side and Speed, I would hardly describe myself as a fan. However, I left the theater thinking that she carried the whole movie, and it's easily the most accomplished performance of her career.

Alfonso Cuarón directed Y Tu Mamá También, Children of Men, and the best Harry Potter movie (Azkaban), but this is comfortably my favorite from his impressive portfolio. The story is lean, gripping, thoughtful, thrilling, scary, breathtaking, beautiful, and emotional, and feels perfectly paced at every point. He doesn't insult us by giving too much exposition, and that draws us deeper into the story. His use of extreme close-ups is another reason we are drawn to these characters. It's hard to avoid feeling that you are a part of the movie.

As I watched, I thought of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Moon, Apollo 13, Cast Away, Alien, and a few other great movies. Cuarón lets us see his characters thinking, and that's a good thing. Remember that astronauts are not selected because they are stupid or incapable of adapting in extreme situations. I'm always impressed when I see a movie which takes the trouble to show how people really think. It's not an easy thing to do well. This choice works perfectly and helps the whole story succeed because it's so believable.

Although the visuals dazzled on a regular basis, my favorite shot in the whole movie was Sandra Bullock in the fetal position. It jumped out at me as being so appropriate for the scene, and it was a stroke of genius. You'll know what I mean when you see it. The opening titles remind us that there is no sound in space, just as Kubrick depicted almost 50 years ago.

I admire this movie so much that I would happily watch it again tomorrow. It's a wild 90 minutes. I left the theater feeling as if it was an effort to be back in the real world. I was totally immersed in the story to the point of being almost unable to function when it was over. I'm glad I had a long walk back to the car so that I could catch my breath.

There are so many reasons to see this movie, even if you hate science fiction. It won't be forgotten when the awards season arrives. See it immediately. I would even go as far to say you should see it in 3D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy stuff, December 1, 2013
"Gravity" is the latest in a long tradition of films in which survival in a hostile environment is a series of hops from one slightly habitable sanctuary to another. It can be in a desert, underwater, or in space, but the premise is the same: one person against all odds tests her own mettle to (hopefully) survive and in doing so, come out a better person in the end. In the case of Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock), it's a form of rebirth.

Stone is on her first mission aboard the Space Shuttle Explorer with veteran astronauts Matt Kowalski (George Clooney) and Shariff Dasari (Phaldut Sharma). It's not long before things go horribly awry in the form of a Russian missile strike on a defunct satellite, which triggers a recurring boogeyman: floating debris pierces everything in its path every 90 minutes. The cloud of debris is catastrophic, and it's not long before Stone is on her own doing her best to survive. But does she want to? Lurking in Stone's past is the death of her daughter due to an accident, and she has been sleepwalking through life up to this point. Kowalski (one of the few characters in Stone's literal universe) challenges her on this point.

And so begins a desperate struggle for Stone, alone and only partially trained, in the most hostile environment imaginable. She battles the triple threat of asphyxiation, hypothermia, and insanity. On the third point "Gravity" distinguishes itself from other films, led by Bullock's excellent acting as a woman under extreme pressure.

Bullock (nearly 50, if you can believe it) is stripped to her core, both emotionally and physically, until there is nothing left. And then, like a babe, must struggle her way out of tight spaces and cramped airlocks in a battle to return home. Expertly shot and breathtakingly choreographed, "Gravity" is a thrilling spectacle in 3D. It's a heavy subject, but well worth the ride.

4.0 out of 5 stars FINE ACTING AND GREAT SPECIAL EFFECTS ... BUT YOU'LL NEED TO IGNORE MAJOR PLOT HOLES!, May 31, 2014
This review is from: Gravity (Amazon Instant Video)
GRAVITY (2013) is a well-acted Science Fiction film featuring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. It has superior special effects and is genuinely touching in 2 or 3 places ... but, sadly, it has dozens of major plot-holes I just could not overlook.

The plot of GRAVITY is almost identical to that of the contemporaneous movie ALL IS LOST (2013; Robert Redford), in which an aging man making a solo sailing voyage in the Indian Ocean collides with a metal cargo container that rips a large hole in his boat. GRAVITY is quite a bit more engaging because, unlike with Redford's unnamed and taciturn character, we get to know some of the back-story of Sandra Bullock's character and do get to learn her feelings and thoughts almost non-stop ... and GRAVITY's amazingly similar concluding scene is at least 25 times more plausible than the concluding scene in ALL IS LOST.

In GRAVITY, Bullock and Clooney play the two surviving members of a space shuttle that is blasted to fragments by space debris. If we think about possible outcomes while watching, only these six are possible: Bullock and/or Clooney will soon die; Bullock and/or Clooney will survive with serious injuries; Bullock and/or Clooney will survive with little or no damage. No "Spoiler Alert" is needed when confirming that, by the end, two of these six outcomes have been presented.

As for the major plot-holes, most of them concern the orbiting space debris that not only is all moving at the same incredibly rapid velocity in an incredibly tight formation (which is implausible, given that the debris originated from an earlier collision) but its altitude above Earth happens to coincide perfectly with that of the American shuttle craft ... AND a Russian space station ... AND a Chinese space station (which is hugely implausible), AND this debris is on an absolutely perfect collision course, one after another, with all three (despite the fact that space is three dimensional, meaning there are TWO major variables besides "altitude above Earth" to be considered in any collision ... and the fact that virtually all orbits are elliptical, not circular, which MEANS that "altitude" will fluctuate in almost every object's case).

FURTHER, there is the fourth variable of TIME ... and here is where a "slight" SPOILER WARNING is needed. I won't waste words here about the fact that the American shuttle and the Russian and Chinese space stations were all moving objects. Instead, let's consider some "WHAT IF--?" propositions (the kind of thing nerds of all ages like doing when reading or viewing Science Fiction / Speculative Fiction): WHAT IF Sandra Bullock's and George Clooney's characters were outside their shuttle, exposed to debris, when it destroyed their craft? And what if they were totally unharmed despite hundreds of very near misses? What, then, are the odds that (given the three dimensions of space AND the time variable) the debris would go around and around the Earth and arrive and destroy the Russian space station at almost exactly the time Bullock and/or Clooney arrived there? And WHAT IF, when Bullock and/or Clooney arrived at the Chinese space station, the EXACT SAME THING happened there at THAT time to THAT space station?

I'm not NECESSARILY saying that these things DO occur in the film, but IF they do, are you prepared to ignore them?

Weighing the nature of GRAVITY's story--its "Admiration Plot" that is designed to make us feel good when we see people being brave and resourceful when faced by an array of life-threatening situations--against the screenwriter's lamentable lack of ingenuity, and factoring in the acting, the attractiveness of Bullock and Clooney, and the wonderful special effects of the opening scenes, IF I were giving this film a letter grade, it would be a "B-".

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing allegory of redemption, December 3, 2014
This review is from: Gravity (DVD)
It's strange to me that most people saw this as basically a space movie or science fiction story. To me it seemed like a brilliant allegory about recovery from mental illness and transformation through grief, that happened to take the form of a science fiction story. As someone who has struggled with depression and anxiety disorder - in part because of my own losses of people I love - I cannot envision an more apt experiential metaphor for what it feels like ... or doesn't feel like (because depression is really more of a flat line of experience) than the black vacuum of space. For the entire first part of this film, Sandra Bullock's character is enclosed inside a suit, and in many ways, sealed inside her own head. It's amazing to me that so many people whine about a "lack of character development," when her character was clearly meant to stand in for any woman or man who has experienced a devastating loss.

When she is spinning out of control, un-tethered and floating into space - that is *exactly* what mental illness feels like when it gets you in its undertow. You reach a point where you believe you may never make it back to earth, never feel grounded again, and like nothing can ever reach you ...

This is really a story about a woman reaching inside herself--and out--and through to the spirit world (her near-death experience), and finding the courage to decide to live again, and come back from the abyss to rejoin the world of the living. She does this not by turning her back on her grief or fear, but by embracing it. When she tries to commit suicide, she has an experience which you could choose to see as hallucination or divine intervention - either way, it salvages her life and arguably her soul. She is spiritually reborn (womb-like imagery surfaces several times during the film), and in the end, we see her finally walk on her own feet again, ready to face the world. There doesn't *need* to be a "15 minutes later." The 15 minutes later is whatever she chooses to make of it - and whatever you do, if you find yourself facing such a challenge in your own life.

When I saw this film, it gave me something to anchor myself to - which was ironic. Even watching the trailer I knew that this movie would be an anxiety-inducing experience for me. The reality is, each of us is hurtling through existence just barely hanging onto each other and that black abyss of space really is always there, hovering right beside us and sometimes inside us. This movie is about staring at that void and through it, and choosing to live despite the terror which is always there just under the surface, reminding us we can always burn up in flames or lose those closest to us.

And those are just my comments on the story. Add to that some of the most spectacular special effects, filming and directing choices I've ever seen, and an absolutely revolutionary soundtrack and you have yourself one incredible journey into the human spirit. Watching this film was actually a magickal experience for me ... it felt like more than just a film to me--a transformational vehicle. This film does everything it can to truly put you in Bullock's head. Allow yourself to really be taken on her journey, and it will change you for the better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gravity has set the standard, March 1, 2014
This review is from: Gravity (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
I have seen it three times now. And wow, I still want to watch it again. The lust that this movie provides me with is unexplainable. Many reviewers cry of it as being boring, etc. But for me, there is never a dull moment, each and every time I watch it. Credit also goes to the music created by Steven Price, it really captures the emotion of every scene.

I hope this wins the Academy for Best Picture.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice visuals, nothing spectacular for a space movie, April 13, 2014
Jon (Washington State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gravity (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
I bought this movie and was very excited to watch it, considering all the hype with it and the Oscar wins. I also love space movies and shows. This movie was average. It was well-acted by Sandra Bullock, certainly, and the visuals were amazing, but it's like one long series of bad events after another that eventually ends. My friend and I watched it together, and she kept repeating every time another bad thing happened, "Well, it really is her (Bullock's character) worst. Day. Ever." without trying to be funny.

Bullock's acting was very intense. Not overdone, and amazing at points. But the whole movie you're kind of waiting for a breather, which comes with a contact with earth and a lullaby, but then it goes right back into Worst. Day. Ever. Mode, with one bad thing happening after another, with Ms. Invincible continuing to magically defy all odds. Eventually things end, and you're left just kind of thinking: "...well, that was a good movie, but Oscar-worthy?... not really other than maybe visuals/special effects." I fully "get" that this movie is not a typical space action movie but more of a character study. As a coworker described it, it was basically a one-woman play, but even that doesn't change the fact (for me) that the movie was just not that amazing, which considering the hype (and the actors and director) I thought it would be.

Bottom-line: At $12.99 currently buying the movie is a good deal, but I would still recommend renting it first.

2.0 out of 5 stars Less Inspiration, More Monologue, June 15, 2014
This review is from: Gravity (Amazon Instant Video)
This film fell flat for me. The performances were good, but the subject matter and the format left me wishing I'd made another choice. If I'd wanted to see an inspirational film about getting stuck in outer space, I would have just re-watched Apollo 13 with Tom Hanks. As it is, I basically got a re-hashed, yet less uplifting version of that, starring Sandra Bullock instead. Most of the movie is either a monologue, or close to it, and the only redeeming character in the film leaves the screen abruptly, about half way through. What I believe was meant to be an intensely personal and emotional journey for the viewer ends up being a drag, where I just kept wanting the main character to snap out of it. The ending, rather than leaving me inspired, left me wondering why the heck I'd wasted my evening on this trumped up tale. If you want to do a night of of lost in space, just watch Tom Hanks in Apollo 13 instead (not because I'm a huge fan or anything--it's just a better story altogether.) Sandra Bullock is still beautiful, and a great actor, but it's hard to even focus on her acting skills, when she's wearing either a reflective helmet, or underwear for the entire film--two extremes, but both detract from her performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars (BLU RAY 3D/2D Update) Yes, it's that good, January 8, 2014
This review is from: Gravity (Amazon Instant Video)
Theatrical review. There may be spoilers. See below for Blu ray update.

Most movie lovers can remember seeing a film for the first time that really got their attention. Usually it was in a real movie theater. For me it was "2001: A Space Odyssey." The juxtaposition of a flung femur bone transfiguring into a space shuttle lining up to dock at an orbiting station, all to the backdrop of classical music was mind blowing to this science fiction lover. A few year later, sitting in a large theater I was again mesmerized by a giant space ship moving slowly across dark space. "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope" had a new technical trick at its disposal. Dolby Surround Sound. A new generation will likely have "Gravity" to look back on. Yes, it's that good.

Director Alfonso Cuaron ("Children of Men"), who also wrote the screenplay with his son Jonas, has managed to provide an electrifying thriller with a basic story. A flight crew headed by Lt. (a lieutenant, really?) Matt Kowalski (George Clooney) have been sent to repair the Hubble Telescope. The scientist in charge of the repairs is the ever-so-serious Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock). There are no other actors who have any role of substance other than the voice of Ed Harris at Mission Control early on.

In a quick turn of events, it is learned that the Russians have destroyed one of their spy satellites. The explosion has set off a chain reaction of debris hurtling through space taking out other satellites along the way. With only minutes to react, Kowalski's crew attempt to get the shuttle out of orbit. They don't. Now in survival mode, Kowalski and Stone must figure out how to get back to Earth. This becomes even more complicated, as radio communication with Mission Control has been severed.

Cuaron provides Sandra Bullock an opportunity to show her acting range and she responds with a performance that will be remembered for a long time. Stone's early panic, as the space debris knocks her away from Kowalski and the shuttle, comes across to the audience. We see the terror in her eyes, in her breathing and in the fogging helmet shield. The other star of the film is Cuaron's cinematographer, Emmanuel Lubezki and the visual and special effects department. It is the most amazing thing I think I've ever seen on screen. And yes, see it now. Don't wait for this movie to come to you by Netflix. And yes, see it in 3D. I pick and choose when to spend an extra $3 or $4 dollars on 3D and I made the right decision here.

Gravity has several meanings. The most used and obvious one for this movie has to do with the force of bodies falling toward Earth. But gravity also is defined as a serious or critical nature. Also, serious or dignified behavior. All apply. Cuaron and his team will likely need a truck to load nominations come Oscar time. Don't miss it.

BLU RAY UPDATE: I recently acquired a 3D television and having swooned over this film (3D) in theaters last fall, I couldn't think of a better movie to test out the display. It didn't disappoint. The package includes 3D and 2D options (separate discs) and a DVD. It also includes a digital HD (Ultraviolet) download. The special features are on the 2D disc.

I'm not surprised that the film retains the awe-inspiring luster of the theatrical version. It comes with 1080p resolution and a 2.40:1 aspect ratio. The 3D, much like the big screen version uses the extra dimension to create depth of space which is certainly appropriate for a film which takes place in space orbiting around Earth. The color and sometimes lack of, is excellent along with deep, dark blacks. Shadows are in proper contrast and detail is remarkable. Check out hair stubble on Clooney's face and watch Bullock as she strains, once reaching the temporary safety of the International Space Station. Her neck muscles stretch and relax. Great acting and great cinematography. I can't say enough about the 3D element here. Frankly, I'm not a big fan as a rule. Still there are a few that get it right ("Avatar" and "Hugo" come to mind). "Gravity" joins the club. While I did not watch the 2D version from beginning to end, I did see enough to that nothing is lost other than the depth. In either case, the discs are demo quality.

Likewise the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track is flawless. It does a perfect job handling the big collision scenes and the subwoofer certainly got a workout in that regard along with the surrounds. But there are other elements well played out that I didn't notice as much the first time around. First is the use of silence. Director Cuaron and his Oscar winning sound squad have done a marvelous job, not only creating some unusual sounds but have integrated them beautifully into the various elements of the film. One second there are loud collisions, total silence the next. The sound of small fires starting and the whoosh of a fire extinguisher or a jet propulsion pack. It's just incredible. The other major element so important in the film is the soundtrack by another Oscar winner, Steven Price. It never resorts to an overabundance of strings, but it emphasizes the emotions and terrors of the moment. The lossless audio track handles it perfectly. Subtitles are available in English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese.

There are a host of extras:
*Gravity: Mission Control (HD, 107 minutes) A behind-the-scenes documentary. Segments include:

◦It Began with a Story (16:21)
◦Initial Challenges: Long Shots and Zero G (10:12)
◦Previsualizing Gravity (11:38)
◦The Hues of Space (10:41)
◦Physical Weightlessness (7:48)
◦Space Tech (13:02)
◦Sandra and George: A Pair in Space (9:37)
◦Final Animation (15:01)
◦Complete Silence (12:13)

*Shot Breakdowns (HD, 37 minutes): A series of scene-specific featurettes that include:

◦Behind the Visor (6:50)
◦Fire in the International Space Station (5:42)
◦Dr. Stone's Rebirth (7:54)
◦The Sound of Action in Space (7:55)
◦Splashdown (8:24)

*Aningaaq: A Short Film by Jonás Cuarón (HD, 10 minutes)

*Collision Point: The Race to Clean Up Space (HD, 22 minutes): Actor Ed Harris narrates.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars For The Visuals, That's All, July 27, 2014
April L. Hamilton (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gravity (Amazon Instant Video)
Visually amazing, but pretty darned limp story-wise. It's an entire film built around the survival story of a single character, and she's not a terribly compelling character. For me as a writer, it stands as a lesson in what NOT to do plot- and character-wise. [spoilers]

Protagonist Ryan (played by Bullock) has got zero personality, apart from stick in the mud. When the movie opens, during a spacewalk outside their shuttle, as her two co-astronauts are marveling at the views in deep space and enjoying the thrill of this experience so few humans will ever have she's just annoyed by their chatter and totally fixated on the minor motherboard issue she's outside the craft to assess---and why would a Biomedical Technician/MD be assigned that particular task in the first place?

When trouble strikes, her inexperience, inability to remain calm, and unwillingness to follow direct orders from the mission commander (played by Clooney) make her a liability and also make her less likable. I was rooting for Clooney, not the vaguely depressed, unfriendly blank slate Bullock plays.

Her only distinguishing characteristic is that she had a daughter who died in a playground accident at the age of four, and when this information is disclosed it doesn't really add much of anything to the story, or even to the character. She matter of factly states it was just one of those things, and has nothing more to say about it. When the Clooney character tries to press her for something, ANYTHING they can bond over, she says what she likes most about space is the silence, and that all she ever did on Earth was work and drive around at night listening to the radio. Wouldn't these two have spent enough time together in training to know one another a little better than that? They're more or less strangers to one another here.

Plot-wise, there are a TON of unanswered questions that co-writer/director Cuaron doesn't seem to think have anything to do with his story even though HE'S the one who wrote them. Like, why was the International Space Station abandoned, cut off from communications with Earth, and on fire? Why was the Chinese space station abandoned, yet still in communication with Earth? Why was the one guy Ryan made contact with on Earth an Inuit sledge driver, and how was he able to be talking to the Chinese space station?

Cuaron has said in interviews it's simply a story about the struggle for survival in the Darwinian sense, and his interpretation of the story is that Ryan is a survivor who overcomes many obstacles to survive in the end. WTF, Cuaron?! Why put those tantalizing loose threads of a mystery into the film and leave them totally unexplored?

By the end, for me anyway, it just turned out to be a big, "So...THAT happened." Yeah, the stakes were life and death for this ONE woman---everyone else on the mission dies in the first reel---, but unless you really CARE about that woman, so what?

Gravity [Blu-ray]
Gravity [Blu-ray] by Alfonso Cuaron (Blu-ray - 2014)
$44.95 $16.99