4,603 Reviews
 (1,521)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning Cinematography, Direction, and Acting
ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW

Just moments after this movie ended my daughter leaned over to me and declared, "This is the most perfect film I have ever seen in just about every way."

I had to agree.

Published 9 months ago by Brian Driver

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time
After all that fuzz I watched it and what a total disappointing waste of time, full of old and predictable clichés. I know it's fiction but is simple and plain boring, 90 miserable minutes of dozing on the couch, I had only had one thing on my mind, die (whatever was her name) astronaut die and save us both from our misery.
Published 14 days ago by Carlos E. Cañizares

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning Cinematography, Direction, and Acting, October 5, 2013
Brian Driver (Louisa County, Virginia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW

I had to agree.

GRAVITY gives you everything: thrilling action, awesome visuals, incomparable cinematic spectacle, a terrifying scenario, an exciting adventure, and a masterpiece of minimalist characterization. They all combine in one pedal-to-the-metal slam-bam technically perfect movie that gives you equal shots of hope and hopelessness from the first frame to the very last.

It is as electrifying a film as I have ever seen, with scarcely a down moment in it, hardly a misused frame. I won't spend time telling you anything about the plot; if the trailers haven't told you enough about why this film is a must see, then I can give you two words that should do it...

Sandra Bullock.

She is not only in practically every frame of the movie, but she exposes herself emotionally here in more ways than I could count: she is equal parts victim and heroine, emotional and calculating, frightened and bold, wounded and powerful. She is a tortured soul who reveals herself in dribs and drabs, revealing her emotional torment when it will have the most effect. The movie is as much about what HAS happened to her as what IS happening to her. She is able to make herself as interesting and captivating as the events that occur during the film, and this is important: rather than simply being a movie about a series of cascading terrors, it is equally about the human spirit, the "stuff" that lies inside us that drives us to go on when going on seems impossible.

GRAVITY is amazing. See it in IMAX 3D if you can; it is worth the money. The technology depicted in the movie is stunning--but I imagine I will be as amazed when I finally get the DVD and find out HOW these truly amazing scenes were shot. Alfonso Cuaron does remarkable job as director, co-writer and co-editor of this absolutely wonderful accomplishment. His technically perfect movie never loses track of the actor within it--I won't be surprised if this achieves Best Picture, Best Directing and Best Acting nominations this year, notwithstanding a half-dozen other technically-related ones.

There have been some critics who have found fault with the movie's accuracy when it comes to the positioning of the space stations, the likelihood of a debris field causing a "Kesslar Syndrome" this devastating, and some other technical flaws, but I will leave these people to their respective perturbations. To me it doesn't matter if GRAVITY is science fiction or simply fiction about science. What it definitely IS is a tour de force balls-to-the-wall spectacle that will leave you gasping. Don't miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best sci-fi movies I have ever seen, October 5, 2013
Many people don't take science fiction seriously, but here's a movie that might work for those who don't usually like the genre. There are no aliens, unknown worlds, monsters, or laser shootouts. This is a movie that's set in the real world, or more accurately, above it.

The story opens with a George Clooney voice-over. We meet astronauts working to repair a satellite. This shows how calm such a silent world can be. I reluctantly saw the movie in 3D, but this was one occasion that I came away feeling that it added to the experience. It almost made me dizzy seeing Ryan Stone (Bullock) and Matt Kowalski (Clooney) go about their routine business with Earth looming large in the background. Indeed, the cinematography was breathtaking throughout the 90 minutes.

I don't want to give away too many details, but if you have seen the trailer or even looked at the poster, you'll know that this movie is far from being a calm ride. An accident sends debris racing toward the astronauts like some kind of deadly shrapnel. What follows is a story about the strength of the human spirit, and the will to survive against all odds. Remember that the word gravity has more than one meaning.

While I enjoyed Sandra Bullock's performances in The Blind Side and Speed, I would hardly describe myself as a fan. However, I left the theater thinking that she carried the whole movie, and it's easily the most accomplished performance of her career.

Alfonso Cuarón directed Y Tu Mamá También, Children of Men, and the best Harry Potter movie (Azkaban), but this is comfortably my favorite from his impressive portfolio. The story is lean, gripping, thoughtful, thrilling, scary, breathtaking, beautiful, and emotional, and feels perfectly paced at every point. He doesn't insult us by giving too much exposition, and that draws us deeper into the story. His use of extreme close-ups is another reason we are drawn to these characters. It's hard to avoid feeling that you are a part of the movie.

As I watched, I thought of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Moon, Apollo 13, Cast Away, Alien, and a few other great movies. Cuarón lets us see his characters thinking, and that's a good thing. Remember that astronauts are not selected because they are stupid or incapable of adapting in extreme situations. I'm always impressed when I see a movie which takes the trouble to show how people really think. It's not an easy thing to do well. This choice works perfectly and helps the whole story succeed because it's so believable.

Although the visuals dazzled on a regular basis, my favorite shot in the whole movie was Sandra Bullock in the fetal position. It jumped out at me as being so appropriate for the scene, and it was a stroke of genius. You'll know what I mean when you see it. The opening titles remind us that there is no sound in space, just as Kubrick depicted almost 50 years ago.

I admire this movie so much that I would happily watch it again tomorrow. It's a wild 90 minutes. I left the theater feeling as if it was an effort to be back in the real world. I was totally immersed in the story to the point of being almost unable to function when it was over. I'm glad I had a long walk back to the car so that I could catch my breath.

There are so many reasons to see this movie, even if you hate science fiction. It won't be forgotten when the awards season arrives. See it immediately. I would even go as far to say you should see it in 3D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy stuff, December 1, 2013
"Gravity" is the latest in a long tradition of films in which survival in a hostile environment is a series of hops from one slightly habitable sanctuary to another. It can be in a desert, underwater, or in space, but the premise is the same: one person against all odds tests her own mettle to (hopefully) survive and in doing so, come out a better person in the end. In the case of Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock), it's a form of rebirth.

Stone is on her first mission aboard the Space Shuttle Explorer with veteran astronauts Matt Kowalski (George Clooney) and Shariff Dasari (Phaldut Sharma). It's not long before things go horribly awry in the form of a Russian missile strike on a defunct satellite, which triggers a recurring boogeyman: floating debris pierces everything in its path every 90 minutes. The cloud of debris is catastrophic, and it's not long before Stone is on her own doing her best to survive. But does she want to? Lurking in Stone's past is the death of her daughter due to an accident, and she has been sleepwalking through life up to this point. Kowalski (one of the few characters in Stone's literal universe) challenges her on this point.

And so begins a desperate struggle for Stone, alone and only partially trained, in the most hostile environment imaginable. She battles the triple threat of asphyxiation, hypothermia, and insanity. On the third point "Gravity" distinguishes itself from other films, led by Bullock's excellent acting as a woman under extreme pressure.

Bullock (nearly 50, if you can believe it) is stripped to her core, both emotionally and physically, until there is nothing left. And then, like a babe, must struggle her way out of tight spaces and cramped airlocks in a battle to return home. Expertly shot and breathtakingly choreographed, "Gravity" is a thrilling spectacle in 3D. It's a heavy subject, but well worth the ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!!, April 26, 2014
What can I say? Great movie. I saw one comment that said there was no character development. Well, sometimes the situations that the movie puts the character in doesn't give them time to develop a character. Yet, I found that based on the events that was happening, it wasn't that important. You still get a sense of who Sandra's character is and her own inner conflicts. Without saying much more, I recommend this movie immensely.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, June 29, 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Great CGI, Goofy Storyline, Total Absence of Science Advisors, June 2, 2014
Amazon Customer (Phoenix, Arizona) - See all my reviews
This is a put your mind in neutral and enjoy the movie snacks movie. If you know anything about physics, this movie will drive you nuts with the implausible situations that are depicted from the start to the end of the movie. The complete opening of the movie is implausible- the colliding satellites arent in the same orbital altitude as the space station- the astronauts would have hours, days, or weeks notice the dibris would reach them- all sorts of solutions could be employed to keep the astronauts safe. The plot would have collapsed right there. The physics of bodies in space acted on by external forces dont behave as depicted in the movie in almost every case. The psychology of the astronauts werent very realistic, either- people wont make it to astronaut statust if they can't remain calm and sort through multiple life and death technical problems before they EVER go to space. As smart as Sandra Bullock's character might have been, there would be little to no liklihood that she could reprogram a Russian spacecraft's system to make it into a lifeboat. The CGI is spectacular, but the director should have budgeted funds for some technical experts to guide the movie such that the foolish storyline could have been avoided. My impression is the director didnt likebeing told his storyline was juvenile and stubbornly was going to make the movie his way. This is a dollar movie- dont waste your money on buying a copy of it. It could have been a really great movie. What a shame to waste tge talent of so many people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely lives up to its reviews, February 25, 2014
This review is from: Gravity (Amazon Instant Video)
To be clear, there's not much I can add to what surely must be an avalanche review material out there. In fact, I didn't read any of it before I watched the movie; I was simply trying to catch up on the award-winning flicks. And this one is brilliantly, achingly good. The effects are incredible, the lighting - dark and foreboding throughout - puts the viewer squarely into the space, the soundtrack amplifies the action without distracting in any way. (I couldn't even describe it without going back to listen.) This movie is perfect for men and women alike - so, don't dismiss it for date night. But if you're watching together, what you will want to prepare for is your own personal, visceral reaction to crushing (and very silent) isolation, loss of others, loss of hope, and abject terror. Along with the characters in the movie, you WILL traverse the stages of human response to trauma and grief . But this experience is wildly different when set in space, hundreds of miles above a beautiful but distant earth. That's new territory for all of us - and it definitely caught me off guard. Brilliant!

1.0 out of 5 stars Grossly Overrated :(, June 21, 2014
This movie was not nearly deserving of 5 stars in every category. I rated it one star to better offset all of the delusional reviews on here:

Visuals - 5 stars
Screenplay - 2 stars
Dialogue - 1 star
Realism - 1 star
Acting - 3 stars
Soundtrack - 3 stars

That'd be a far more realistic rating. The only high points are the visual effects (although the initial shot of the CG shuttle looks a little fake) and getting to see more of Sandra's figure than usual. The dialogue is complete throw-away. The laws of physics, reality, and probability are grossly abused, in terms of positions of satellites, orbital mechanics, the fact that the debris field had no chance of intercepting the shuttle once, let alone THREE times. Actual spacesuit gloves are far too stiff to deftly grab at objects, but in the film they were grabbing things with ease. The jetpack's speed and maneuverability is greatly exaggerated compared to reality. Trying to navigate space with a fire extinguisher would be a very difficult task in reality.

...It's obvious that without any sort of monster in the film to scare us, they turned the debris into a kind of monster...

Technical flaws aside, it's really the plot and character interaction that turned the film into a wash. The actors (Sandra B) are barely utilized in terms of their acting potential. I've also decided that George Clooney is really just a failed attempt to clone Sean Connery, and that his presence and demeanor is more often drab, annoying, and predictable than anything else. I'd rather have had Nicholas Cage. At least Nick is more interesting to watch.

It's like the Director was out to make a movie that portrayed the calm quiet and nothingness of space, but then grew bored and decided that he wished he were instead making a space monster film, with peril and dangers attacking the crew at every turn. Ergo, the malignant debris field, the raging fire, etc. everything he can find is out to get them, save the spaceship itself.

Even the absurd amount of action wouldn't be so bad if the character interaction were at least halfway decent. The acting itself isn't the problem, it's the Director's terrible direction combined with a mediocrely written screenplay. There was nothing going on between anyone to make it worth watching, like in the way Twister's interpersonal drama kept us hooked well beyond what the Twisters alone could do (or just about any other space oriented film I could name).

Even the soundtrack is poorly conceived, trying to impress upon the audience the absolute quiet of space with that crescendoing sound that makes you expect an impinging disaster. It was cool the first time, but reusing it throughout the film turned it into a too-obvious, borderline amateurish gimmick.

The only recent space drama I can think of that's worse than Gravity are the latest Star Trek reboot films, as if they ever had a snowball's chance in heck of capturing the vibe and spirit of what made TOS great, but that's another review.

Bottom line is, this movie is a good rental, but there's no way it's good enough to justify owning it at full retail.

4.0 out of 5 stars FINE ACTING AND GREAT SPECIAL EFFECTS ... BUT YOU'LL NEED TO IGNORE MAJOR PLOT HOLES!, May 31, 2014
This review is from: Gravity (Amazon Instant Video)
GRAVITY (2013) is a well-acted Science Fiction film featuring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. It has superior special effects and is genuinely touching in 2 or 3 places ... but, sadly, it has dozens of major plot-holes I just could not overlook.

The plot of GRAVITY is almost identical to that of the contemporaneous movie ALL IS LOST (2013; Robert Redford), in which an aging man making a solo sailing voyage in the Indian Ocean collides with a metal cargo container that rips a large hole in his boat. GRAVITY is quite a bit more engaging because, unlike with Redford's unnamed and taciturn character, we get to know some of the back-story of Sandra Bullock's character and do get to learn her feelings and thoughts almost non-stop ... and GRAVITY's amazingly similar concluding scene is at least 25 times more plausible than the concluding scene in ALL IS LOST.

In GRAVITY, Bullock and Clooney play the two surviving members of a space shuttle that is blasted to fragments by space debris. If we think about possible outcomes while watching, only these six are possible: Bullock and/or Clooney will soon die; Bullock and/or Clooney will survive with serious injuries; Bullock and/or Clooney will survive with little or no damage. No "Spoiler Alert" is needed when confirming that, by the end, two of these six outcomes have been presented.

As for the major plot-holes, most of them concern the orbiting space debris that not only is all moving at the same incredibly rapid velocity in an incredibly tight formation (which is implausible, given that the debris originated from an earlier collision) but its altitude above Earth happens to coincide perfectly with that of the American shuttle craft ... AND a Russian space station ... AND a Chinese space station (which is hugely implausible), AND this debris is on an absolutely perfect collision course, one after another, with all three (despite the fact that space is three dimensional, meaning there are TWO major variables besides "altitude above Earth" to be considered in any collision ... and the fact that virtually all orbits are elliptical, not circular, which MEANS that "altitude" will fluctuate in almost every object's case).

FURTHER, there is the fourth variable of TIME ... and here is where a "slight" SPOILER WARNING is needed. I won't waste words here about the fact that the American shuttle and the Russian and Chinese space stations were all moving objects. Instead, let's consider some "WHAT IF--?" propositions (the kind of thing nerds of all ages like doing when reading or viewing Science Fiction / Speculative Fiction): WHAT IF Sandra Bullock's and George Clooney's characters were outside their shuttle, exposed to debris, when it destroyed their craft? And what if they were totally unharmed despite hundreds of very near misses? What, then, are the odds that (given the three dimensions of space AND the time variable) the debris would go around and around the Earth and arrive and destroy the Russian space station at almost exactly the time Bullock and/or Clooney arrived there? And WHAT IF, when Bullock and/or Clooney arrived at the Chinese space station, the EXACT SAME THING happened there at THAT time to THAT space station?

I'm not NECESSARILY saying that these things DO occur in the film, but IF they do, are you prepared to ignore them?

Weighing the nature of GRAVITY's story--its "Admiration Plot" that is designed to make us feel good when we see people being brave and resourceful when faced by an array of life-threatening situations--against the screenwriter's lamentable lack of ingenuity, and factoring in the acting, the attractiveness of Bullock and Clooney, and the wonderful special effects of the opening scenes, IF I were giving this film a letter grade, it would be a "B-".

5.0 out of 5 stars Unparalleled 3D experience -- in a home theater, not IMAX, March 5, 2014
This review is from: Gravity (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + UltraViolet Combo Pack) (Blu-ray)
Gravity is an unparalleled 3D experience on a high quality home theater. On my very large Samsung 3D monitor Gravity is the best 3D experience thus far produced. It is not only better on my 720 CMR (Clear Motion Rate) system than in the latest, greatest IMAX 3D theater it is MUCH better.

The plot, actors, script, scientific accuracy, pacing and just about everything else is subpar. I have never felt that high quality special effects make a lousy movie worth watching. And I still don’t. But like the first Star Wars in 1977 Gravity is a breakthrough technology experience. And like Star Wars, 3D Gravity (in the home theater) will continue to be enjoyable to watch. You couldn’t pay me to watch Gravity in 2D standard definition or watch Star Wars as a play.

Gravity’s theater versions, 3D/blu-ray/DVD/streaming versions are so different that they should be treated as distinct and separate products. Mixing all reviews of all versions into one big pot has made the reviews’ soup tasteless and unappealing. Thankfully, some content providers are providing filtering of reviews by version, packaging, vendor performance, etc.

On a related matter: Gravity has put a final nail in the coffin of Amazon’s arrogance in refusing to filter reviews by version and issue (shipping, packaging, price, etc). I am so sick and tired of having to wade through irrelevant reviews that I no longer see Amazon as the best source of acquiring movies and TV shows. I have begun purchasing from a competitor that I was led to after I was fed up with not easily finding relevant reviews of 3D Gravity. Thank goodness there is still some competition in Amazon’s markets.

Gravity (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + UltraViolet Combo Pack)
$44.95 $29.99