‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal 3rd Album, June 5, 2011
Dain C. Hubley (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gravity Happens (MP3 Music)
If Taylor Swift was a brunette, she'd still fall short of Kate Voegele in both looks and talent.

I've been a fan of Kate since I obtained a pre-release version of her first CD.

With this third album, I believe Kate has solidified her style. I had trouble seeing her through all of the post production of the second album. So, I'm glad to report that she has reclaimed control of her music and sound with Gravity Happens.

I'm a huge fan of the entire album, but my favorite song is titled Impatient Girl. It's incredibly catchy! Sunshine In My Sky is a great summer tune. Also, I like the songs Say You're Mine, Hundred Million Dollar Soul, Enough For Always, and Sandcastles. There are a couple of sad/dark songs that I find enjoyable, too. Look for Heart In Chains, and Burning The Harbor. So, if you are counting, I've listed eight songs that I really like. The other four, aren't bad, though.

I haven't heard an album of this caliber in a while. I'd definitely recommend checking it out. At $5.99 its a steal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing :), May 19, 2011
This review is from: Gravity Happens (MP3 Music)
I really enjoyed this CD & think she is an extremely talented artist who deserves more recognition. If you enjoyed her first two albums you will also enjoy this one. I was surprised that it was only released digitally though.

5.0 out of 5 stars My summer time-album, December 31, 2011
This review is from: Gravity Happens (Audio CD)
This album show's Kate's maturity as an artist, in my opinion.

The first song, Say you're mine, is a classic-ish, teenage-or-twenty-something, upbeat love song. Depending on how you look at it, it could be a very happy, or rather sad song. The artist is trying to get someone to call them theirs. The only thing I don't like about this song, is the tone. It isn't a bad tone, but I think it could've better. 3/5

Hundred Million Dollar Soul is easily one of my favorites on this song. The song is another love song, talking about how the artist loves this person's soul, who the person really is deep down. It's a very summer-time-love-song, and brings me back to a couple summer relationships I've had in the past. Every part of this song is perfection. 5/5

Enough for Always is another one of those songs, another love song. It's not as fun, persay, as the previous two, while it's light-hearted, it also shows a deeper side of teen love -- but still extreamly teenish. 5/5

Sunshine in my sky is beautifully put, really a summer song. "I want a violet bicycle, flipflops, and sand between my toes.", it's all about summer. It really puts you in the summer time mood. 4/5

Heart In Chains -- A darker side of loving someone. That point where your obsessed to the point that being without them hurts. Really, really, really describes being obsessed like that. Beautifully put. Maybe to fast pasted. 4/5

Sandcastles: If you're old enough, you'll remember that point when you realize you didn't want to grow up. That point, as Kate puts it, that you'd rather make Sandcastles then wide world decisions. Honestly, my number one favorite song from the album. A perfect beat, pace, melody, and may have fit just where i needed this year. 5/5

Burning the harbor: According to Kate in an interview, this song is about when she stayed in Nicaragua, and how no one is doing anything to help people in 3rd world nations. Very beautiful song, and great. 5/5

Impatient Girl: I really like the beat of this song, really great. Lyrics could use some improvement...4/5

Beg You To Fall: You know when you like someone, and they don't even know you exist? That's what this song speaks to me about -- to me, it's such a sad song. 5/5

Enjoy the Ride: Speaks wonders about how fast pace this world is. It's a happy, fun song, all about not doing things half-assed, taking it slow, and ACTUALLY GETTING THINGS DONE. 4/5

Gravity Happens: 5/5. Listen to this song. Amazing.

Unusual: Beautiful song, i think. It's a new way of putting an old cliche. "'Cause I'll be pushing on, when everyone turns around." 5/5

All i see: An...interesting song. 4/5

* BONUS TRACKS ON DELUXE EDITION*

High Road: When thing's don't go as you plan, most of us just sit and cry. Kate make's a beautiful song like this. 5/5

Counting the ways: It makes me cry. Just...beautiful. 5/5

Ship in the dock: Hard to put my finger on it...i just don't like this song. 3/5

*ITUNES ONLY TRACK*

Afraid to know: This song...this song really speaks to me. I've gone through a lot in the past year, and this really describes it to me. Maybe that's the reason i feel such effection towards this song. 5/5

ALBUM OVERVIEW: 9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Katy Swiftly Strides Into Taylor Town, August 8, 2011
This review is from: Gravity Happens (MP3 Music)
Kate Voegele and I have two things in common. We're both from Cleveland and we both have a passing fancy for Taylor Swift's "Speak Now." After dropping two delicious pop albums (sunnier than Avril, darker than iCarly), Voegele takes a third leap towards Billboard greatness with Gravity Happens.

At its worst, it's a bit too precious (not in the "based on the novel Push by Sapphire" kinda way - but more in the "put sunshine in the sky" moonbeams, rainbows and unicorns kinda way). At it's best there are some jaw dropping yowza songs like the sweeping, almost Tusk/Rumors-era Fleetwood Mac-esque "Burning the Harbor" and the wonderful "Impatient Girl." Most of the rest of K-Voegele's LP plays like T-Swizzle at her best: deeply personal, quirky, wholesome, song-along, country-friendly, teen-daydreaming, arena pop. The only difference is Kate can hold a note without going flat. Which reminds me, the title track I just mocked for being a bit too twee for me (only slightly) is also one of the best showcases for Kate's gorgeous voice - unleash her and that girl can sang!

Like Brooke White and Sara Barielles, Kate is a great songrwriter who should appeal to both the Selena Gomez, Taylor Swift, Demi Lovato crowd and the Stevie Nicks, Neko Case, Sara Lov crowd.

I adore Kate - and am one of the few fans who has never seen her on TV (she's on the CW, a network I have not watched since the last days of Buffy.). My only beef with her (and with the industry as a whole) is her addiction to "Deluxe Versions" of her albums. The original version of "Don't Look Away" has the cutest album cover in the history of pop music - but boom, that goes out of print, so she re-releases a new version with a new (blah) album cover; so you pick that up - but wait - there's also a deluxe version out there; but wait - there is also an online-only bonus track (a Leonard Cohen cover that as good as hers is is a track that nobody should cover except Jeff Buckley). Along comes the mighty fine "A Fine Mess" - oh look, how cute does Kate look in a pink dress; no wait, there is a version with her in a yellow dress and 5 bonus tracks; no wait, there is another version with a bonus CD "Live at Greywhale", uh oh, there's also an Amazon-only bonus track! Then comes this album, and it's only available as a $5.99 download; no wait, there's a CD with a bonus track "Unusual"; no wait, there is a deluxe version with three more bonus tracks. I give up. Well, not really, I own them all.

Checkmate goes to Kate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kate Voegele ROCKS!!, July 2, 2011
This review is from: Gravity Happens (MP3 Music)
I own both her two previous albums and was so excited to learn that a third album was coming out. I bought it instantly and haven't ever regretted listening to her music. Her music is exactly what she says she wants it to be: "like your favorite pair of blue jeans." It's so comforting and easy to listen to--her voice pierces through beautifully and she is SO ENTIRELY TALENTED!! Her voice has developed even more and her progress only gets better. Nowadays, I don't expect much from new albums since it seems like artists lose their potentials...but Kate Voegele is not one of these artists. She only gets better.
I'm a huge KVoegele fan and am looking forward to listening to her albums for the years to come. Keep it up, Kate!! WE LOVE YOU!! =]

4.0 out of 5 stars More good music from an underrated pop artist, August 31, 2011
sailorchironmoon (San Diego, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gravity Happens (Audio CD)
Though this album isn't as good as A Fine Mess, I enjoyed it. Kate deserves to be famous much more than Britney Spears and other such 'stars'. Kate can sing better and writes great lyrics. It is a shame she isn't more popular.
Overall, this is a good album. Kate sticks to what she's good at.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful talent!, January 2, 2014
This review is from: Gravity Happens (Audio CD)
Kate does an excellent job with her lovely voice. I enjoy listening to this CD while I read and relax in the evenings. Thanks for shipping so quickly. The packaging assured an undamaged CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVEE, September 11, 2013
This review is from: Gravity Happens (MP3 Music)
I loved almost all of the songs on this album and I loved the variety of themes she explored. Some were more lighthearted than others, some spoke of struggling in a world full of expectations. I love her voice, the melodies and what she does as a musician. BUY IT, you won't regret it :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Just ok, August 1, 2013
This review is from: Gravity Happens (Audio CD)
I really like her CD "a fine Mess", so this one I felt was ok, but nothing like the afore mentioned !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kate Rocks, July 22, 2013
Michael Calo (North Smithfield, RI United States) - See all my reviews
Very energetic, musical, upbeat and smart. Love this! Kate has outdone herself - again. Please keep them coming. Kate is amazing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Gravity Happens
Gravity Happens by Kate Voegele (Audio CD - 2011)