Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

on October 13, 2010
In short, this is an excellent book when used in the appropriate context. It is meant to be a textbook for advanced human anatomy classes that take a regional approach (i.e. med school gross anatomy); there is no better regional anatomy textbook.

This was the main text for my gross anatomy class, and the professor also recommended Netter's Clinical anatomy (which is rich in clinical content but not the best way to learn structures/landmarks). As a textbook Grays is very good; it has a great combination of descriptive and accurate text as well as fairly detailed pictures. Personally, I wish that it had more pictures with more labeling. The drawings are not as good as Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy. Netter's Atlas, however, has no text, so I always use these two resources together.

Gray's Anatomy for Students was designed to be a textbook for REGIONAL ANATOMY classes. That is, students take a region (say Head & Neck) and learn all of the important bones, nerves, vessels, organs, and tissues in that region. A systems-based class, by contrast, teaches all of the important nerves in the body (across all regions), then moves on to all of the bones, then moves on to the circulatory system, etc. and not necessarily in that order. This is the best textbook if your goal is to truly master regional anatomy while taking a class. I am not sure it would be very useful for a systems-based curriculum so try to find out what your class involves before purchasing this book. Gray's also contains a fair amount of clinical content which is interesting, but may not actually be useful to you.

If you are considering Gray's for USMLE board review, it is much too dense and contains too much detailed information for that. For board review, get an atlas (I recommend Netter's) and a condensed text like BRS Gross Anatomy by Chung or High Yield Gross Anatomy. See if you can look through those texts to decide which format you like better. Even BRS contains way more info than you need for your boards, but is an excellent tool for mastering gross anatomy. I don't actually know much about the High Yield book. So, Gray's for Students is excellent for a regional anatomy class, not good for quick review. I should also mention that the student consult included with this book is great to be able to access the full text online from anywhere. It also allows you to download many of the images, which could be used for study and presentation.

If your goal is to teach yourself anatomy without taking a class, this book may be a good resource but is NOT the kind of book you read cover-to-cover. You will only be able to learn so much anatomy without taking a class (I tried before taking my class). Better and cheaper resources for self-teaching are the Netter Anatomy Flash Cards and the Kaplan Medical Flash Cards. The Netter cards are by region, and the Kaplan Medical cards are by system. They are both excellent.
22 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2010
this book is great for med school anatomy! great pictures and charts!! (for the most part...)

my ONLY problem with this book:

someone clearly forgot to edit the last chapter on the head and neck. which is a shame because this is one of the hardest topics in anatomy. It is so bad that i have found myself needing to use other texts (Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy-awesome book) to make up for it.

For example- some charts list wrong innervations and functions of muscles. In addition to clearly obvious typo's, it is a very poorly organized chapter which jumps all over the place. One second you are looking at the jaw, the next you are in the neck, and somehow you make your way to the nose. It doesn't flow well at all.

To make it even more difficult, in the later parts, when the authors go back to discussing structures in the head, such as the nose and mouth, they tell you to refer to previous pages from the beginning of the chapter. Those pages listed are incorrect, making it all the more frustrating....

and finally, although it will tell you all the functions of each muscle it does not tie it all in well. A simple straight forward explanation of mastication and other very important functions of the head would be very helpful. I know it's an anatomy book, but if it wants to be a clinical anatomy book, it NEEDS to discuss these things, even if it's just a general explanation in a small diagram on the corner of a page.

Also one thing it lacks is a final section on the function of each cranial nerve. All it has is a two page chart at the beginning of the chapter, but Moore's has almost an entire chapter devoted to this with diagrams illustrating everything. Gray's simply has the chart and discusses the nerve when it is relevant to the structure you are reading about. It is extremely annoying to jump around in a 250 page chapter when you are just trying to learn a branch of one nerve. (remember, the pages it tells you to go to are wrong...)

My suggestion- buy the book for everything else, and study the head and neck elsewhere... this book is a waste of time for it. (especially when you have so very little of it in med school)
on July 26, 2011
This is an excellent book for an anatomy student who does better from reading a text book - as opposed to just looking at the pictures in Netter's or Thieme. It is a real textbook that breaks things down into their simplest components - things like blood supply to the abdomen are broken down simply by developmental regions. It is really helpful for getting big concepts and a basic orientation to the incredible onslaught of vocabulary and spatial memorization that is med school gross anatomy. However, it is a little light on the details. Some things are glossed over and not mentioned at all, most likely for the sake of simplicity. For an undergrad anatomy class, it is perfect. For a med school gross anatomy course, you really need a solid atlas to go a long with it to ensure you don't miss those pesky little details that anatomists love to toss into an exam.
on September 22, 2015
I used this book for Gross Anatomy and Intro Pathophysiology....the great thing about Grey's for Students is it has simple diagrams that are easy to understand (opposed to the very cluttered, condensed sketches in Atlases). The BEST part is this text also supplements the presentation of gross anatomy with simple written explanations of concepts and clinical references too! I cannot say enough about how invaluable this book was to me in my studies!
on October 17, 2010
I was delighted with the book in the first few months after buying it. It was the simplest anatomy text I've ever read and I didn't even need an atlas to understand the descriptions, the pictures in Gray's fitted perfectly with the text and didn't contain lots of unwanted features - only the element being described on that page. For the first time in my life I really enjoyed the anatomy reading experience.

However, I still had to put it aside and start reading the detailed descripition from a real anatomy textbook if I wanted to be able to talk at length about what I've learned. I actually hate details generally but Gray's is simply not enough for a medical student, it contains descriptions that ar FAR too concise for my anatomy course purposes.

For example, the duodenum is presented in my (romanian) anatomy book in 8 pages and the authors of Gray's managed to describe it in half a page. That's both good and bad, but for me it was mostly bad.

All in all, I guess this book wouldn't be much fun if they added more in-depth descriptions, so as it is it remains ideal for beginners (a better title would've been GRAY'S ANATOMY FOR CLUELESS STUDENTS). But since after learning every word in it I still find myself not knowing enough anatomy to pass my exams, I resent not having bought some other anatomy book.
on August 21, 2010
I used this book during gross anatomy in med school and found it to be amazing. The full Gray's is just too long (1400 pages) and not written for a student - it's written for anatomy professors. It's dense!! This is much much more readable. Sure, it has a mistake or 2, but so does the full Gray's. But for a med student covering the entire body in 10 weeks - this is your book.
on February 19, 2016
This Is exactly what I wanted. No problems here. Not much to say about it other than it fulfills the needs that I wanted for this product. I enjoyed using this I guess? Seems reliable and trustworthy, but only time will tell. I've owned it for about 3 weeks, and it has no problems but I will give an update in a couple more weeks to see how it goes.
on May 19, 2012
The book arrived promptly and was in GREAT condition, although I think the vendor noted that it was in 'fair' condition. I just got through with the Anatomy class I was taking that required this book, and it was helpful for the class itself; but this is not something I would purchase on my own as a tool to help me learn. The best part about the books IS DEFINITELY THE PICTURES, as some parts of the body, vessels or nervous system are difficult to imagine reading text alone, and the pictures puts it all in perspective. But I found the text repetitive and redundant, often times repeating itself unnecessarily and and not very fluid in the way it was written. Great buy from the seller though, much more reasonably priced then at the college bookstore that's for sure.
on October 16, 2012
Excellent book for 1st year medical students and anyone else studying human anatomy. It is beautifully illustrated, in all color, which makes it easy to read the text alongside and understand what is being described.
on September 9, 2012
This book is fine for a textbook for anatomy. For pure pictures, you will definitely want to get either Gilroy or Moses however. There are a few pages where the pictures are slightly better than those other two, but for the vast majority of the time, Gilroy or Moses is the way to go. If you feel the need to read about the anatomy, Gray's is useful. I tend to have the Gray's open as I go, to be able to learn via text the position of things. If budget cutting though, get the other two and skip this one. You will not miss it.