5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST have for your job interview!
Published on June 23, 2012 by lascanio

3.0 out of 5 stars Has its good parts
Published 18 months ago by L. Goldstein

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST have for your job interview!, June 23, 2012
This review is from: 101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions (Paperback)
This is THE book to help anyone prepare themselves properly for an interview in today's world. Most companies now have SBO (Situation, Behavior, Outcome) type questions in their interviews, and if you don't have prepared answers to these questions, you are dead in the water. This book will help you be on top of your game and seperate yourself from the others, if you do the work. It's not hard - you are basically just telling stories about yourself - but you need to take your time and write them down - but this book will guide you. When I graduated college later in life, I had worked at the same company for 8 years and had never really had a "real" interview, as my advances were automatic based on my work. I was scared to death to interview. My friend lent me his version of this book, and by the time I was done preparing, I interviewed with several companies and had 4 job offers at one time! It's obviously my experience and preparedness that landed me the offers, but this book guided me to that direction. It's a must have!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Has its good parts, April 13, 2013
L. Goldstein (Boston, MA, USA) - See all my reviews
The main helpful part of this book is the beginning section and his "job data input sheets". Fry takes you through a long process of cataloging your career to date. It helped put things in perspective for me, and got me to write down details I was starting to forget about older jobs. It also created a framing method for me to look at my previous jobs in a different way, specifically less as a collection of duties and more in ways that are useful in the job hunting process. I also found that I was developing answers to use in "story" interview questions. I will definitely be using this method going forward to track future jobs.

Like all X number interview question books, this one has a long list of questions with example answers. What makes it a bit more helpful than most, is before giving the sample answers (both good and bad), the author takes a few sentences to explain the thinking behind the question. This helped me to better envision my own response. The short sample answers were also general enough to be useful to me, rather than some books were the answers are so involved and industry specific that I cannot see how to adapt it to my situation.

The book is not well-written literature. The stop lights are rather silly and his attempts at jokes rarely work. Some of what is covered is self-evident to all but the most socially awkward. I found myself skipping over some sections. But the core of the book was very useful in getting me through the process of analyzing my career to gain the material needed for the next step - the resume and job search books (loved the "Knock 'em Dead" series).

5.0 out of 5 stars More than advice, this book provides a roadmap, March 15, 2010
Robin (Bethesda, MD) - See all my reviews
As a recruiter I would recommend this book to any candidate who needed advice on how to be interviewed.

101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions, provides a detailed, step-by-step process that any candidate, experienced or novice, can use to prepare for an interview. Candidates are told to prepare a series of worksheets documenting their experience, and formulate answers to predictable but challenging questions such as "Tell me about yourself," as well as the dreaded "What would you change about yourself?" The idea is to prepare the best possible response, not as a way to fake it, but as a way to avoid mistakes when one is on the spot. For each question, the book contains an example of a good response, and pinpoints the many areas that might trip up a job seeker .

Unlike many books for job seekers, this one provides solutions for experienced and inexperienced candidates. The evaluation technique goes beyond the vague common sense advice provided by most websites. (Be on time, be positive, use spell-check. tell them your greatest fault is that you work too hard...)

The book includes good information on phone screens. Given the large number of resumes that companies receive, phone screens are a routine step in the process. This book gives the experienced candidate a way to prepare for a phone interview where things like eye contact, are not possible.

Fry advises candidates to be honest, and to present themselves in the best possible way. What could be better than that?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read for less experienced job hunters, May 4, 2013
I recently changed jobs after over 15 years in the same position. I purchased the book to refresh myself regarding interview questions, tactics, and the overall process of preparation for an interview. The preparation work that Mr. Fry has you go through are very helpful. Basically, you do a self assessment so when you get asked questions like: "tell me something interesting about your self," or "what mistakes have you made," what kinds of people are your friends," or "tell me your life story," you're more prepared for that type of open ended, behavioral type question. Also, he provides good answers and bad answers (green light / red light) model for a wide variety of questions which are helpful. Even though I've interviewed a lot of folks, I've not been interviewed in a long time. This book was a great refresher. For the younger folks and millennials, there's a lot of common sense stuff that you should know, but maybe don't.... no offense, but I'm trying to be candid. I recommend this book to all job hunters - especially less experienced folks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good tips for beginners, but I wouldn't recommend for experienced job seekers., January 19, 2014
The title of this review says it all, but I'll add a few comments regarding specific things that I liked and disliked in the book.

My background: I've interviewed for a variety of positions in chemical engineering, hospitals, professional schools, and most recently the pharmaceutical industry. I've also interviewed and evaluated candidates in hospital settings.

I purchased this book hoping to gain additional valuable insights to augment my past interview experiences, but I found the vast majority of advice in the book is either common sense to any experienced job seeker or too general to be especially helpful.

POSITIVE ASPECTS
-The recommendations for the dreaded "Tell me about yourself" question are spot on and detailed--easily the most valuable ~7 pages of the entire book.
-Tips on analyzing one's strengths and past accomplishments should help new job seekers as they prepare for first-time professional interviews.
-Easy read--most readers should be able to finish this over the course of an afternoon or less.

NEGATIVE ASPECTS
-Example responses--if actually repeated verbatim in an interview--would sound extremely artificial, robotic, and would definitely never land you a job. I understand that these only meant to serve as examples, but placing them in quotes may fool some readers into thinking that this is exactly what interviewers want to hear (to be fair, this is addressed in the book, but it's buried in the fine print).

-As mentioned previously, this book contains a lot of common sense that most readers should (hopefully) know: bathe, wear a nice suit, maintain eye contact, be confident, research the company/position, match your strengths and skills to the position, answer the question that they ask you, don't ramble, etc.

-Sometimes the book reads a bit too sarcastic and unprofessional. Passages such as "You Brought Your Cat. How Nice." and "You reek, bro!" don't really add to the credibility of the author.

OVERALL
Don't bother purchasing--you can download a free pdf version of an older edition of the same book (4th, 2000) that essentially covers the exact same points.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential to my job search process, December 10, 2011
Max (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
If you're going into an interview without reading this book, you're making a huge mistake.
I've bought dozens of books on Amazon but I haven't written one single review.
Until I read this book.
As a recent college grad in this tough economy my search for steady employment has been a haphazard quest at best. This book has been my guiding light.
I was lucky enough to have some experienced professionals help me craft a solid resume and critique my cover letters. I landed several interviews for some great entry level positions at good standing companies in the Boston area. However, that's about as far as I ever got.
Then I read Ron Fry's 2 books (this one and the accompanying "101 Smartest Questions to ask on Your Interview) AND GOT A JOB OFFER.
This book prepared me to handle what can oftentimes be a very nerve-wracking experience. Ron lays out the kinds of questions you can expect to be asked in an interview and provides examples of GOOD vs. BAD answers. On top of that he explains WHY they are good or bad answers. This is huge as it helps you get inside the head of the person interviewing you; helps you understand their wants and needs so you can fulfill them with whatever skills/knowledge/experiences you bring to the table.
You can either go into an interview and hope that you have all the perfect answers OR you can read this book, craft your own personally-tailored answers, practice them OUT LOUD, and nail the interview. The choice is yours.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good information, December 21, 2012
In my opinion, this book was more directed to interviewing for a job in sales.
However, reading through it, I was able to think about previous work experiences and stories that made some of my interview answers flow much easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for improving your self value, April 7, 2012
This book is more than just how to survive a tough interview. It helps you realize and market you complete self value. Help you put your achievements and skills in context with who you are helping you to become a "complete product".

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful, but too scarey, March 31, 2010
While the book does deal with real issues in interviewing for a job, I think it goes too far in asking for a ridiculous level of pandering to the company and interviewer. It is good in making you think about what the interview question is really aimed at uncovering - rather than just blathering along about the apparent intent. Useful, but probably so scarey that it makes you want to just forget the whole job search thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT book, March 28, 2014
It is very thorough and thought-provoking. I was super-prepared for my interview thanks to this book. The author knows what he's talking about.

101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions
101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions by Ron Fry (Paperback - February 10, 2009)
$12.99 $7.86