Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on December 15, 2005
The Great Big Book of Children's Games is full of fun games of all sorts: Ball Games, Water Games, Chase Games, Card Games, and so on. Many of the games are well-known childhood classics, but many of them are either foreign or totally new.

The book offers lots of ways to play versions of popular games with a make-your-own version. Naturally, it doesn't tell you explicitly, "Don't buy game X, you can make your own!", but it does give great instructions on how to make paper playing boards for games like Shut the Box, Beetle (like a drawing version of Cootie), and also how to get the most out of a game like Checkers.

As far as outside games, it can't be beat, there are dozens of variations on classics like hopscotch, hide-and-seek, and that eternal favorite: tag!

This book is a great gift idea for Moms, Teachers, Daycare Providers, and it's a great one to leave around for the teenaged babysitter if you're going out and you don't want the kids to spend the evening in front of the TV. Wonderful!
on August 8, 2007
This is such a great book! I was looking for some activities to keep the kids from being bored. What a wonderful surprise! This book was way more than I expected. There are tons of activities--card games, outdoor games, pen and paper games, travel games, table top games, blacktop games, and much more. As we looked through the book I remembered some of these from my own childhood, but I probably wouldn't have recalled them without this book to prompt the memories. I was very pleased and the kids love it. There are so many games that they will not be bored for a long time.
on April 29, 2005
I do not own this book, but I put it on my "wish list". I currently have it checked-out from my local library for the second time. What a wonderful book for such a great price! I plan to use it for birthday party activities, kids church activities, etc. This book is well worth the price!
on January 16, 2011
I was hoping for more games for younger (under 5) kids, as well as suggestions for games that require the kids to use their imaginations. But there are lots of good cards games and lots of good suggestions for outdoor games.
on January 16, 2013
It is OK book, but it has WAY TOO MANY games for different kinds of kids and number of players. Like, if I simply need to entertine my 2 grandsons, I have to go though whole book to find very few games that feet my needs. I would rather recomend this book to kindergarten or preschool / elementary school teachers - to keep kids (quite a group) busy.
on August 13, 2013
I got this book when I was having my 11 year old niece and her friend over for a few days in the summer. There are lots of ideas broken down by types of game (indoor, outdoor, chase, water etc.) and in the glossarie, you can also find games for a certain age group, or for a certain number of kids. It's a little old school, and reminds you of things you did when you were growing up, and exposes you to so much more. This is a truly great book if you find yourself having to entertain kids (or start them on something and let them entertain themselves). Wonderful if you want yoru kids to be doing something besides playing video games or watching t.v.
on January 10, 2010
A brilliant book, full of classic, familiar games, along with new ones. Simply the most complete resource out there.

This is a book kids below chapter book reading level will probably not use by themselves--it's really aimed more at adults or older children who are game leaders.

I used this one for years in after school care and a summer program; because it's so encyclopedic we were able to settle disputes about the rules of traditional games (capture the flag, etc.) using this book.

This book, along with "the ultimate indoor games book," kept the kids (ages six to ten) busy all summer long!
on February 13, 2011
Although book as some ideas for younger (3-6) kids, it is mainly geared for older kids. Unfortunately, I needed it for preschool age, but if you have older kids, it definitely has some fun ideas for games and activities.
on May 11, 2011
I'm very happy with this book. It has it all- the good old classics of childhood, plus many more! There are games for indoors, outdoors, with equipment, without equipment, games for all ages, and many of the games also help a child's development in many areas- fine motor, gross motor, cognition, etc... I plan to buy more for gifts!
VINE VOICEon May 20, 2011
I have purchased many children's books the last few years, some which I regret but this has been such a great buy. Well worth the $10 price tag. It's full of fun games that kids and the whole family can play. If your child is bored, just pop out this book. You won't regret buying this!